Summer transfer window

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
i read somewhere that moyes said that vidic successor is already at OT and expects jones,smalling and Evans to step up. It seems that we wont spend big on a central defender.
Good.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
i read somewhere that moyes said that vidic successor is already at OT and expects jones,smalling and Evans to step up. It seems that we wont spend big on a central defender.
He probably wouldn't say "we'll need to buy", as it'd cheese these 3 off, and alert every top defender's club to put prices up.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
We have indeed a potential Vidic type players and Moyes may give some chances to Michael Keane from time to time.

Still there's a remote chance of signing someone younger in vein of Zouma, maybe even player himself if the price won't be too high.

Canuckred64

Hopefully that means that they will get the chance to convince us that they can do the job. The last thing we need is for Moyes to keep rotating our CB's and to keep playing Jones and Smalling out of position for the rest of the season. At the present time I would hate to start next season with Jones, Smalling and Evans as our main central defenders, because I haven't seen enough of Smalling and Jones at CB to tell if they will be good enough. Right now I don't feel that any of the 3 CB's we have will be as good as Vidic and Rio and I feel we need to buy a world class CB this summer. I hope that 2 of those get a long run of games at CB and prove me wrong, but something tells me it won't happen.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The Heil say we're after Pogba, Vidal, Shaw, and some CB from Ajax. So we might sign one of those players...

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
We have indeed a potential Vidic type players and Moyes may give some chances to Michael Keane from time to time.

Still there's a remote chance of signing someone younger in vein of Zouma, maybe even player himself if the price won't be too high.
Zouma joined Chelsea for £12m.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Letting vidic goes, loaning zaha, sold fabio, not utilising kagawa, persisting with 2 man midfield to name a few.

This is not fm, shoulda try to keep vidic and evra, they made a goor cover and experiences.

Besides, we can't simply bought 10 players in a windo
Letting vidic go? His contract is up and if he wants to go there is nothing we can do. Who says we haven't tried to keep him? Agenda posting at its finest mate.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
£100m isn't going to solve our problems unless we uncover some ''hidden gems''. It would get us the two CMs we need though.

Dominos

Thing is, we said we needed 2 CM's last summer, and we got one of them. If Moyes decides himself he's wasted the 28 million (like we all suspect he has) after less than a year it's fecking criminal, it really is.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Thing is, we said we needed 2 CM's last summer, and we got one of them. If Moyes decides himself he's wasted the 28 million (like we all suspect he has) after less than a year it's fecking criminal, it really is.
I made this point in another thread *and quite a few other times actually). I feel we may be disappointed if we aee expecting two midfielders. I reckon one this summer and one next year may be more accurate, unless we sell Cleverley this summer anyway.

bonusroller

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport...Shaw-Atletico-striker-Costa-rebuild-team.html

Bob Cass on our summer targets.

Pure delusion to think we can land Vidal or Pogba without CL football. Costa's the same, though I question why we'd spunk more money up the wall on a striker, our strongest area of the team.

Shaw, and Ajax centre back Joel Veltman are the other 2 mentioned.
Would love that. Not heard about Veltman before but sounds promising. Bob Cass used to be Fergie's mate before that run in that was on camera. Wonder how much he knows nowadays.

Dominos

Cass didn't really cover us much in the Mail during the summer for some reason, but he tweeted a few times that Moyes was waiting til he got back from the tour before he launched his bids for Fellaini and Baines, which turned out spot on. He is still friends with Fergie, despite that spat they had.

I made this point in another thread *and quite a few other times actually). I feel we may be disappointed if we aee expecting two midfielders. I reckon one this summer and one next year may be more accurate, unless we sell Cleverley this summer anyway.
You're right, with Carrick, Fellaini, and Fletcher now in the squad, it's hard to see how we could fit any defensively minded midfield signing into the squad. 2 big name attack minded CM's would seem like overkill too, given our formation and everything.

Honestly I think 1 CM, one left back, and 1 CB is enough for us to say the squad's in pretty good shape. It would address 3 out the 4 weakest areas, the other being wings which I'll get on to in a bit. We're not going to turn this squad into Europe's best in one summer, the issue is we're not seeing anywhere near the maximum from this current set of players - I'm not against the overhaul of the numerous 35 year olds we have and a couple of others who are given chance after chance but don't deliver (I'm looking at you Antonio and Ashley) - we should be looking at getting the best out of what are clearly some very talented players.

One annoying thing is we've ruined our full back cover by needlessly selling Fabio, I expect this will also have to be addressed in the summer. As if we didn't have enough problems without Moyes creating more of them for no apparent reason.

There doesn't seem to be much call for a new winger on the Caf, which isn't congruent with the fact that barely anyone seems to think our attacking options are good enough. Presumably we're looking at Januzaj becoming first choice alongside Mata, which with our striking options, doesn't leave a lot of room for a big name. If it were up to me I'd give Nani and Kagawa a fair crack of the whip rather than this season's and last season's trend of barely giving them a chance, occassionally giving them 70 minutes and dropping them for the next game because either they a) didn't play that well in their first appearance for 4 weeks, or b) played well or shown promising signs, but not good enough to displace an under performing Ashley Young or Antonio Valencia. Lingard and Zaha would also have a chance to develop and get games as back up.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Pogba is allegedly going to sign a new deal at Juve. I imagine he was spurred on by the threat of being sold back to United to play for Moyes.

Baby Faced Assassin

Pastor of Muppets
United need to be ruthless & efficient in the summer transfer window this season.

Players that need to go: Young, Cleverley, Valencia, Büttner, Chicharito & Rio. On top of Vida & Anderson already leaving. I personally believe we should try and retain Evra for another season.

Then invest in 2 CM's, a CB, a Winger & if possible a LB. All need to be absolutely world-class!

Options of players to sign:
CM1: Kroos or Schweini (considering their squad Bayern will have to sell one).
CM2: Gündogan or W.Carvalho (assuming the likes of Vidal are not on the market).
Winger: Griezmann or Draxler or Reus.
CB: Mangala or Hummels.

MDFC Manager

We desperately lack a leader on the field. This should be a priority imo. A Keane like character please.

Varun

Staff
Though I do agree that we need reinforcements, our current players arent our biggest problem and if people think simply signing a Gundogan,Reus, Kroos etc will solve our problems, it wont. The way we setup is absolutely ridiculous and not at all conducive to get the best out of our players. That needs to change 1st.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
The squad needs refreshing but it would be counter productive to axe the entire team and get a new one.

(1) De Gea
(2) Lindegaard
Johnstone

(3) Evans
(4) Smalling
(5) Jones
(6) Mangala/Benatia/or any other top defender
(7) Evra
(8) Flipe Luis/Shaw
(9) Rafeal
Varela
M.Keane

(11) Carrick
(12) Fletcher
(13) Fellaini
(14) Cleverley
(15) Gundogan/Kroos/Vidal
Powell

(16) Mata
(17) Rues/any other top wide player
(18) Zaha
(19) Lingard
(20) Kagawa
Januzaj

(21) Rooney
(22) Van Persie
(23) Welbeck

We need four top quality players to add to the squad. Keep Evra for another season.

Young, Valencia, Hernandez, Buttner, Bebe, Anderson, Nani, Rio, Giggs can all leave.

Mauzindark

Wouldn't trust Moyes with a nickel and Shaw/ Kroos/ Vidal/ Reus are not coming. What should ideally be done is to sack Dithering Dave, save the money this summer - this squad is good enough to get a top 4 next season and them splurge in 2015. A good manager can still get the best out of these players. We are not a sugar daddy club, one wasted "warchest" will set our finances back for a couple of years at the very least.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
Wouldn't trust Moyes with a nickel and Shaw/ Kroos/ Vidal/ Reus are not coming.
I wouldn't either. Money talks mate, if some players agreed to play in Russia or for Monaca, I am sure they'll play for Manchester United a year out of CL. We just need to start referring to ourselves a "project" from here on. ;)

Mauzindark

I wouldn't either. Money talks mate, if some players agreed to play in Russia or for Monaca, I am sure they'll play for Manchester United a year out of CL. We just need to start referring to ourselves a "project" from here on. ;)
Yes you're spot on but just think of the money we'll be wasting this way just to prove our point with Moyes who may not work out. We'll have to overpay by atleast 10 million for each player not the mention way greater wages - there've been reports that we're luring Kroos with 250k wages.. That's just absurd. A highest level midfielder nets on average 100k+ per week. Schweinsteiger gets 135k, Modric 130k, Vidal 90k. We are apparently offering more than twice that for Kroos it's unbelievable really. A lot of our fans have been on a high horse all this time and looked down upon teams that pay the market average. What does it make us then when we're willing to pay twice of that..

Let's say we sign 5 players. We'll have to pay a premium of atleast 10 million for each than in normal circumstance plus a way bigger pay-package. That's a totally unnecessary outlay of about 100+ including wages, way above the market rate just to that we can have the honour of being managed by Moyes. And he's shown no signs thus far that he'll change the hoof system, even after signing Mata for a club record 38 million. What if he does sign Kroos but tells him to stay deep as he does with our current midfielders and ditto for Vidal who'd be wasted in a deep role, what if he signs Reus and tells him to hurl crosses. And what if we still don't qualify for Europe despite spending maybe 150 million.

Let's calculate what Moyes would've cost us by then :
100 million in premium
60m+ by not qualifying for 2014-2015 CL season
70m+ by not qualifying for 2015-2016 CL season.

That's a whooping 200m+ blind faith will cost us.

As I said before we have to boot him pronto and bring an attainable guy like Frank de Boer, or Guus Hiddink who can atleast steady the ship. They will certainly get the best out of the current squad, it's still not as bad as Moyes is making them look. Next year even without any additions we can get a Top 4 place I have no doubts about it - the team has RVP, Wayne, Kagawa, Chich, Januzaj, Welbeck ffs. Then in summer 2015 when we're back in the CL we can go ape shit and buy the players left right and centre at market rates instead of wasting our money trusting DM. That'd be the wiser thing to do IMO but I feel we'll do the opposite and learn the hard way. :(

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
No proper manager will come here unless they know we're going to back them in the transfer market straight away. They'd have to be braindead to agree to starting the next season with this squad.

We're gonna be spending big this summer regardless of who is in charge.

Baby Faced Assassin

Pastor of Muppets
No proper manager will come here unless they know we're going to back them in the transfer market straight away. They'd have to be braindead to agree to starting the next season with this squad.

Klopp is a good option IMO. He has always made his teams on shoe string budgets & tactically the man is a genius.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Klopp is a good option IMO. He has always made his teams on shoe string budgets & tactically the man is a genius.
Agree, Klopp would be the outstanding candidate. We've got to back the manager financially though, regardless of who it is. Just because he can operate on a shoestring budget doesn't mean he should have to, not at a club like Machester United. The chronic underspending has to end.

hungrywing

Yes you're spot on but just think of the money we'll be wasting this way just to prove our point with Moyes who may not work out. We'll have to overpay by atleast 10 million for each player not the mention way greater wages - there've been reports that we're luring Kroos with 250k wages.. That's just absurd. A highest level midfielder nets on average 100k+ per week. Schweinsteiger gets 135k, Modric 130k, Vidal 90k. We are apparently offering more than twice that for Kroos it's unbelievable really. A lot of our fans have been on a high horse all this time and looked down upon teams that pay the market average. What does it make us then when we're willing to pay twice of that...
Was talking about this yesterday and the other person brought up an interesting point, which essentially was: When was the last time the Glazers had to worry about 'going grocery shopping while hungry'? His argument was that people like the Glazers have reached a point where they've forgotten that saying and the mindset it derives from, AKA they're literally not aware that's what they'd be doing. I disagreed but it was something I'd never considered.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
At this rate, United next season could look like this:

De Gea
Rafael Jones Malanga Shaw
Kroos Vidal
Januzaj Rooney Mata
Cavani

And will still finish 6th or 7th.

Baby Faced Assassin

Pastor of Muppets
Agree, Klopp would be the outstanding candidate. We've got to back the manager financially though, regardless of who it is. Just because he can operate on a shoestring budget doesn't mean he should have to, not at a club like Machester United. The chronic underspending has to end.
Whatever do you mean by chronic underspending? Moves has spent £65m already.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Klopp, Guardiola or Mourinho would have this exact team challenging with one or two decent signings. Attacking wise it has enough talent to beat anyone, the defence you could work with easily if you sorted another back up (doesn't have to be a starter) and a new left back which could be done for nominal fees if we get Coentrao and any random right back in their late 20s like Bayern did with Rafinha.

Mauzindark

Klopp, Guardiola or Mourinho would have this exact team challenging with one or two decent signings. Attacking wise it has enough talent to beat anyone, the defence you could work with easily if you sorted another back up (doesn't have to be a starter) and a new left back which could be done for nominal fees if we get Coentrao and any random right back in their late 20s like Bayern did with Rafinha.
This. Ten times over. We know our squad is bad. But this calibre of managers would have had us competing for a top 4 spot atleast. Jose's Chelsea's is slightly better than United in terms of personnel and yet they are top of the table. We have equally good keepers, Rafael is better than Ivanovic, Vida, Evans, Rio, Smalling are atleast as good as Terry, Cahill, Luiz, Azpelecueta is better than Evra granted and their midfield is not much to shout about either until the transfer of Matic : Carrick is better than Fat Frank, their attackers are better as of now but our strikers are world class unlike theirs. As a whole it evens out yet they are so far ahead of us.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The only man that can single handedly change our fortunes with skill and attitude is Zlatan. No Zlatan no success for a while in my opinion.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Some random names that may be of interest or at least curiosity, delivered because I remember somebody mentioning Atletico's success in buying players and suggested we hire their scouts.

One of the Atletico Madrid reporters claim that their summer scouting list contains the following names - not that they'll be expecting to buy them all, just that these are players Simeone thinks he could use to strengthen his team or as good value youngsters for his squad.

Rakitic
Kagawa
Alberto Moreno
Pjanic
Witsel
Gonalons
Emre Can
Zivkovic (I think this is the 17 year old who plays for Groningen)
Praet (of Anderlecht)
Angel Correa (young Argentinian player apparently!)