g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Sun: Netflix and Amazon Prime in bidding war to sign Man Utd for revealing fly-on-the-wall docuseries like All or Nothing

Loon

:lol:
I’d rather see Michael Crick do a documentary on the Glazers and the handling of the club under them.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Doesn't anyone have any (realistic) estimates as to how much this kind of deal would be worth for United?
City, Spurs and Arsenal all received around 10M which is basically printing money considering how much veto rights clubs get on the final edit + the "free" marketing boost.
United could probably milk it and get a few millions more but there's no way it goes over 15/20. Amazon doesn't really make money on these, it's produced at loss just to grab even more Prime subscribers.

Norris Cole

Will be fuming if this goes ahead.
I think dressing rooms, managers offices should still be sacred.
As others has said, the money won't be huge and we are the most well known club on earth - we dont need the exposure.

Trequarista10

City, Spurs and Arsenal all received around 10M which is basically printing money considering how much veto rights clubs get on the final edit + the "free" marketing boost.
United could probably milk it and get a few millions more but there's no way it goes over 15/20. Amazon doesn't really make money on these, it's produced at loss just to grab even more Prime subscribers.
Thanks. Yeah, that sort of fee sounds reasonable. For £15m, plus further exposure/marketing, it makes sense. As a kid in the 90s, I was probably drawn to United by the marketing - the cup final songs, I remember having a United edition of Beano (or it was an edition that had a United section), and my mate having a season review/highlights video which we watched together about 50 times. At the time, United were well ahead of the curve, as basic and cheesy as it seems today. We were also either the first to do pre-season tours abroad, or at least upped the scale of it, bringing in a huge worldwide audience. We need to catch up with the times.

I would add, aren't all Amazon Video/Netflix revenues purely from subscriptions? So all their shows would be made at a loss, discounting subscriptions :D

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Feck this though. If we're crap, which is most likely at the moment, it's just something for other fans to watch in delight. They get enough of that from us most weeks.

And players who might respond alright to a bollocking normally might be seriously pissed off about being bollocked on camera publicly. Not ideal considering the amount of bollockings ETH will no doubt need to dish out.

Withnail

Spurs apparently received £10M from their Amazon documentary. Not that I think we should be doing this from a sporting perspective, but there are plenty of interesting sagas happening that United fans would love to know about, if not watch. We should be demanding £50M minimum if this goes ahead. It may even end up being an annualised series...
Oh god (we need a puking emoji)

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Thanks. Yeah, that sort of fee sounds reasonable. For £15m, plus further exposure/marketing, it makes sense. As a kid in the 90s, I was probably drawn to United by the marketing - the cup final songs, I remember having a United edition of Beano (or it was an edition that had a United section), and my mate having a season review/highlights video which we watched together about 50 times. At the time, United were well ahead of the curve, as basic and cheesy as it seems today. We were also either the first to do pre-season tours abroad, or at least upped the scale of it, bringing in a huge worldwide audience. We need to catch up with the times.

I would add, aren't all Amazon Video/Netflix revenues purely from subscriptions? So all their shows would be made at a loss, discounting subscriptions :D
Netflix is mainly subs yes, hence why they're in deep sh*t. Shows cost dozens to hundreds of millions to be made and they dont get you millions new subscribers and even less long-term ones.
Amazon though has 200M Prime subscribers so about 10B yearly. Then they also do a bit of selling on their website, but the main thing is their servers, AWS is the base of most websites and internet services in the world and that alone racks in 60B+ :eek:
So yeah they can afford to produce those series at an acceptable loss. I think the new LOTR series has a 700M budget...

Ema_datsi

Zlatan is Muslim mate he doesn't drink.
It wasn’t for alcohol, it was for a fruit juice. Jack-off Joel is such a cheapskate, he couldn’t even let £1 slip by.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic has said he was surprised by Manchester United’s “small, closed mentality” upon signing for the club in 2016, bemoaning the fact that he was once deducted £1 from his lucrative salary for enjoying a fruit juice from the mini bar on an away trip.

Imagine these sorts of interactions being filmed in a docu. Will show Jack-off Joel, Rat-tail and their siblings for the cheap-skate small timers they actually are. To hell with them.

https://theathletic.com/news/zlatan...made-me-pay-1-for-a-fruit-juice/yRNUtwItKOlc/

Last edited:

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Would love to watch something like this, though I'm not sure I would want it around the club. We need to have the team fully focused on the football side of things, and this would likely be a distraction. Saying that it would be cool to have a mini documentary summary of each season during the off season. The club would obviously need to have massive edit/veto powers so that nothing damaging is actually published.

Real Name

Please do.

(Arsenal started last season with L L L, and they filmed it, now the cameras have gone to somewhere else its been W W W W so don't dismiss it out of hand). It is actually a shame they are not doing United this season, new start and all that - plus possibly Ronaldo's last season before he goes to America or Saudi Arabia).

Actually, if you dressed him in black and a cool hat, ETH would look like Heisenberg!
Unneeded distraction.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Wish we had one for this season, I would have paid good money for that.

What a season it's been and it would have been great joy to see the side's evolution from that abysmal start.

Sviken

Wish we had one for this season, I would have paid good money for that.

What a season it's been and it would have been great joy to see the side's evolution from that abysmal start.
Nah. This is just bread & circus drama for small clubs. We should be better than that.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Not a fan of this. Reduces professional sport to Tik-Tok consumer goods and that I'm firmly against.

All the sports that want to do it are just desperate because they cannot sell themselves to the Gen Zs and younger. It was F1 who did it first because were dying with younger audiences, then there's talk of it with tennis (same reason) and this is not much different.

But maybe if they tried charging less for football and made it more accessible, this wouldn't be a problem. Looking at you, chief rat Glazer.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
It will happen eventually, or an equivalent on another platform. Another revenue stream is how it will be seen by execs.

Glad it hasn't happened yet as some of the last few years have been that painful.

Lee565

I don't see the issue, it seems every club is doing this now and hasn't done any of them any harm

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Pointless unless the club do a Sunderland and stupidly sign over editorial rights. We wouldn’t see anything juicy, they’re usually puff pieces.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Nah. This is just bread & circus drama for small clubs. We should be better than that.
Not necessarily if we're actually winning things, I know the chances of them showing anything juicy is pretty low if the club has any control over the final product but I still would love to see some backstage footage like what happened in our dressing room before the Barcelona second half.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Not a fan of this. Reduces professional sport to Tik-Tok consumer goods and that I'm firmly against.

All the sports that want to do it are just desperate because they cannot sell themselves to the Gen Zs and younger. It was F1 who did it first because were dying with younger audiences, then there's talk of it with tennis (same reason) and this is not much different.

But maybe if they tried charging less for football and made it more accessible, this wouldn't be a problem. Looking at you, chief rat Glazer.
All Or Nothing was an NFL thing first I believe, and those ones have been brilliant, much the same as Hard Knocks which has been going for many years and is great.

Drz

Still against this, the potential down-side totally outweighs the gains, financial or otherwise. Let ETH cook in peace.

DevTheRed

As much as I’d love to watch something like this it is just an unnecessary distraction for the players.. would do more wrong than right for sure.

meamth

No it's not a distraction. I'm dreaming for a documentary like "The last Dance" for United. Wish they recorded everything back then in 99.

Man United's history is too big to not be told with cameras. We are getting successful again with ETH, why not?