Support David Moyes thread

Revan

Assumptionman
I'd actually prefer Pulis over Moyes. They both employ the same tactics but Pulis seems to get much more out of his players. (Of course I'm not in anyway suggesting that Tony feckin Pulis is the answer to our worries)
I think that Pulis will do better than Moyes for a few games, but Moyes IMO is a far better manager than him. In the next few years I except Moyes to consistently challenge for the fourth spot. I don't think that Pulis would be able to do that.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I think that Pulis will do better than Moyes for a few games, but Moyes IMO is a far better manager than him. In the next few years I except Moyes to consistently challenge for the fourth spot. I don't think that Pulis would be able to do that.
With... with us?

Revan

Assumptionman
With... with us?
Well yeah. I don't think that it is possible to do worse than what Moyes has done in 2014 and the effect of a new manager would probably make players win a few games. But on long term I think that Moyes would do far better than Pulis for us. Both of them are several levels below a good manager for a top team though.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Head is saying stick with it, let him build his team and then judge him, heart is breaking watching the football we are playing, it's not just the results, it's the predictable football every single week, evra to young, cut in, loose the ball, sloppy defending, players passing the buck.....i really don't know

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Sack Moyes, hire Giggs - it's a fresh take on the old mantra, I'll give ye that.

I think Giggs would do fine as an interim manager, by the way. But then I don't think we need an interim manager. Not unless Moyes decides to step down or it turns out the entire playing staff have turned against him.

Here's a serious question: Let's say the club are having second thoughts. Let's say we intend to fire Moyes. Are we also second guessing the type of manager we went for? Moyes means a continuation of the Fergie way, one could say. So, if we give Moyes the sack - do we also consider restructuring the way the club is managed as such?

One way to attain stability is to keep key figures on the footballing side on board as directors in various capacities. The manager becomes less important, an easier figure to replace. Would the Caf be comfortable with such a model? Perhaps go with a director of football, even?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Here's a serious question: Let's say the club are having second thoughts. Let's say we intend to fire Moyes. Are we also second guessing the type of manager we went for? Moyes means a continuation of the Fergie way, one could say. So, if we give Moyes the sack - do we also consider restructuring the way the club is managed as such?

One way to attain stability is to keep key figures on the footballing side on board as directors in various capacities. The manager becomes less important, an easier figure to replace. Would the Caf be comfortable with such a model? Perhaps go with a director of football, even?
Yeah, I could see us going with a Director of Football and Head Coach model when we sack Moyes.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Yeah Chelsea really has struggled, winning almost as many trophies as we did in that time. You don't sack a manager after 3 or 4 months, sure. But after over 7 months of absolute crap, with the performances getting worse, everything already lost this season, that is when somebody gets sacked. If at least he showed signs to an improved style of play, but he's going further and further towards long balls. You sack a manager before he makes things irreversible to an extent. Giving him 2 or 3 years won't change his mind set on what the right style of football is. Time doesn't equal success, not by a long shot.
I'm not saying there aren't exceptions but I'd say Chelsea have been successful despite their managerial merry-go-'round and not because of it. The stability of that club is primarily represented by Roman and his wallet anyhow, just like Sir represented ours for over a quarter of a decade. And herein lies the problem; considering how set in stone Sir's ways of doing things were after 26 years, it was always gonna take time for the new guy to stamp his own identity on things. That's why I'm perfectly comfortable with giving him at least another year. I'm not sure why the poor football we're playing these days should be labeled as "his mindset on what the right style of football is" any more than the good football Everton played for long periods during his tenure. We're in Herculean transition after an eternity with the same guy in the hot-seat. I'll be the first to admit that it's not going smoothly. But; between the job Moyes did at Everton and the importance of stability (despite the exceptions), I'm still perfectly willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
Head is saying stick with it, let him build his team and then judge him, heart is breaking watching the football we are playing, it's not just the results, it's the predictable football every single week, evra to young, cut in, loose the ball, sloppy defending, players passing the buck.....i really don't know
Only Villa, Newcastle, Norwich, Stoke, WBA, Cardiff and Fulham have gained less points than us since NY.

Having in mind we play Arsenal away next that number can very well decrease even more.

Revan

Assumptionman
Sack Moyes, hire Giggs - it's a fresh take on the old mantra, I'll give ye that.

I think Giggs would do fine as an interim manager, by the way. But then I don't think we need an interim manager. Not unless Moyes decides to step down or it turns out the entire playing staff have turned against him.

Personally I would like to see for a few years a proven and old manager. Van Gaal maybe the best choice though for some weird reasons I would like more Bielsa.

I think that with Fergie gone, we need a director of football (especially if the new manager isn't here for long term). That will ensure some stability.

And I still stand by the opinion that Fergie should have cut all the ties with the clubs (or keep only some honorary chairman/ambasadory roles).

smallred

does anybody know just how much it would cost the club to sack him? this i am sure is/would be a big reason for him staying on, the long term investment is there.

walsh

does anybody know just how much it would cost the club to sack him? this i am sure is/would be a big reason for him staying on, the long term investment is there.
They aren't going to keep a manager and hand him £100m to spend on players because it would be a bit pricey to get rid of him. Fortunately, those who actually make these decisions have more patience and sense than lots of the fans.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
If recent footballing history (last few decades) has taught us anything, it's that sacking the manager every 6 or 12 months is a sure-fire formula for mediocrity.
Chelsea, Bayern, and to a certain extent City disagree.

Some of the sacking Chelsea did didnt make sense like Ancelotti or Di Matteo. At least us we have good reason to fire Moyes. And its not every 6 months. We sack Moyes and bring in someone talented and young for the long term. We arent brining in Pulis or Big Sam to fire them after another 6 months.

Liam147

On Probation
They have spend a lot mate. Only sugar daddies and Barca/Madrid spend more than us in wages (at-least before this season). Our transfer spend in last few years is very big. Fergie did great but they also have heavily invested here.

We had around 18 players before them and our revenue was lower than 200m. We didn't have many teams competing with us. We have broken our transfer record several times since the Glazrs took over (though this get even by inflation).
Just popping back to say that this post is absolutely fecking retarded. You are the person who has driven me away from this site. I thought I'd still come back to read stuff occasionally, on nights like this for example, but then I see your backwards views on how much the Glazers have spent and it reminds me why I stopped. We've spent £35m on transfers in the last five seasons. By comparison, Liverpool (LIVERPOOL) have spent more than three times that.

And if you dare tell me that we spent over £40m on Jones and Fellaini I will flip my fecking lid.

WE DON'T SPEND ENOUGH MONEY. Is this starting to sink in yet? WE DO NOT SPEND ENOUGH MONEY. ALL OUR RIVALS MASSIVELY OUTSPEND US DESPITE US EARNING FAR MORE MONEY THAN THEM. Are you getting the picture yet? Liverpool are our nearest rivals on that front and THEY SPEND OVER THREE TIMES MORE THAN WE DO.

Get the fecking picture.

walsh

what reasons do you have for keeping him?
Because there are far more factors than just what David Moyes is writing on the tactics board. The club support him, most of the players are publicly backing him and I'm willing to give him a realistic amount of time. The issues we have now are just exaggerated versions of problems that already existed, but which SAF was able to cover over. We're an institution and a special club, we don't recycle managers like most others and we should take pride in that. Moyes proved he was a good manager at Everton, he hasn't become the clueless wally that people are making him out to be over night.

Sam

The longer he is here, the futher the fall will become. And the harder it'll be to rise back to the top. He has to go.

mancan92

I'm not saying there aren't exceptions but I'd say Chelsea have been successful despite their managerial merry-go-'round and not because of it. The stability of that club is primarily represented by Roman and his wallet anyhow, just like Sir represented ours for over a quarter of a decade. And herein lies the problem; considering how set in stone Sir's ways of doing things were after 26 years, it was always gonna take time for the new guy to stamp his own identity on things. That's why I'm perfectly comfortable with giving him at least another year. I'm not sure why the poor football we're playing these should be labeled as "his mindset on what the right style of football is" any more than the good football Everton played for long periods under his tenure. We're in Herculean transition after an eternity with the same guy in the hot-seat. I'll be the first to admit that it's not going smoothly. But; between the job Moyes did at Everton and the importance of stability (despite the exceptions), I'm still perfectly willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Its the exception to the rule that managers with longer tenures are successful not the other way round. Fergie is one of very few proper successes.

walsh

Chelsea, Bayern, and to a certain extent City disagree.

Some of the sacking Chelsea did didnt make sense like Ancelotti or Di Matteo. At least us we have good reason to fire Moyes. And its not every 6 months. We sack Moyes and bring in someone talented and young for the long term. We arent brining in Pulis or Big Sam to fire them after another 6 months.
Yeah but we don't really, when we gave him a 6 year contract. It's humorous that you say "and then bring in someone talented and young for the long term" when you'd be calling for that mystery man's head if he had a similar opening period at the club.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
While he is still here I will support him. If he is still here in the summer I will expect big changes and a dramatic improvement for next season.

But if he is sacked in the morning I won't disagree or argue with the decision.

There isn't even a hint of him being on his last chance or chances in huge press though. So no matter how you all feel you may as support him and hope something changes positively for him.

I've been saying for quite a few months now, if this had been any other big side he would be long gone. My opinion on that is a good thing but possibly eventually a bad thing,
So would Cleverly, Valencia, Young, Welbeck, Evra etc, Our loyalty we have prided ourselves on for years has actually been the thing that has caused this, we havent been ruthless enough as a team to ensure we remained the best, something we could learn from City and Chelsea

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Can someone pro-Moyes tell me what they've seen that makes them want him to stay? I hope he gets a lifetime contract. Moyes isn't a winner and I don't think you'll win anything with him in charge.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Can someone pro-Moyes tell me what they've seen that makes them want him to stay? I hope he gets a lifetime contract. Moyes isn't a winner and I don't think you'll win anything with him in charge.
Because Fergie said so is what they will argue.

Revan

Assumptionman
Just popping back to say that this post is absolutely fecking retarded. You are the person who has driven me away from this site. I thought I'd still come back to read stuff occasionally, on nights like this for example, but then I see your backwards views on how much the Glazers have spent and it reminds me why I stopped. We've spent £35m on transfers in the last five seasons. By comparison, Liverpool (LIVERPOOL) have spent more than three times that.

And if you dare tell me that we spent over £40m on Jones and Fellaini I will flip my fecking lid.

WE DON'T SPEND ENOUGH MONEY. Is this starting to sink in yet? WE DO NOT SPEND ENOUGH MONEY. ALL OUR RIVALS MASSIVELY OUTSPEND US DESPITE US EARNING FAR MORE MONEY THAN THEM. Are you getting the picture yet? Liverpool are our nearest rivals on that front and THEY SPEND OVER THREE TIMES MORE THAN WE DO.

Get the fecking picture.
Easy child! You're wrong from the beginning to the end. For example only on the last 2 seasons we have a net spend of more than 110m. I know why you want to use the magic number 5 but you can't play these games with me. Our wage bill is significantly higher than Liverpool's wage bill. And wages nowadays are much more important than transfer fees.

If you want to believe (driven from MUST) that Glazers are the worst thing to have ever happened to us, believe it. I can even say that to you if you want. If you leave the site because of what I say, I really really don't give a shit.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
So would Cleverly, Valencia, Young, Welbeck, Evra etc, Our loyalty we have prided ourselves on for years has actually been the thing that has caused this, we havent been ruthless enough as a team to ensure we remained the best, something we could learn from City and Chelsea
Very good point. We need / needed a manager who can make tough decisions.

If that meant selling or marginalising Rooney, Carrick, Cleverley, Young or whoever the manager thought was surplus to his plans for the club and bringing in some fresh bodies and ideas to move forward as a team then I would have been happy with that. It's just a truly dire replica of Fergie's last couple of years here atm. Hopefully the toughest decision Moyes makes in the near future is resigning.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Its the exception to the rule that managers with longer tenures are successful not the other way round. Fergie is one of very few proper successes.
How many managers are afforded longer tenures these days? At first sight of anything resembling trouble it's sack the manager. It's simplistic and I'm absolutely convinced many a club would be better off if the powers that be took a more holistic approach to problem solving.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
You're not doing this KRAP routine right.

And in case you're a serious and honest soul, the question has been answered repeatedly. And it ain't "Fergies scotisch, lolz."

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'm being serious. And in my post I stated, I hope Moyes gets a lifetime contract.
Yeah, but you can't follow that up with saying he's not a winner, man! It ruins the whole KRAP scheme. You must say that he is a winner.