Surveillance Draft

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
If @SirScholes doesn't have tactics sent to me by 2130 today it will it will be a default win for Joga but a match thread with be created so Joga gets feedback. So if @Raees CPU throw something together for Sir Scholes' side (inc. squad numbers) and send it to me sometime before 2130 so I can put together the thread.

If a neutral is around after the match finish tomorrow please do the draw and begin the Lamb drafting. See the OP for details

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Gio @Joga Bonito @SirScholes

Gio and Joga win by default. Here is Gio's and Joga's line-up for discussion. I will now randomise for injuries to make it fair.

Tactics
The emphasis is on ball circulation, short crisp passing and fluidity. It's a 4-4-2/4-5-1 hybrid with the wide midfielders playing a key role. Everyone loves a good ol fashioned British 4-4-2 but this is different and strives to strike a fine balance between control and incisiveness.

The back line features players who are all comfortable on the ball, even the goalie - Neuer. The full backs will be allowed to support the attack, with ample cover from the wide midfielders and DM, but overlapping runs aren't an integral component to my system.

The midfield is where it is at with Xavi* being the crown jewel of the side. Deschamps offers great protection to the back line and provides the midfielders with the freedom to exhibit their creativity and fluidity - a handy player on the ball too, esp with the ball circulation. Seedorf and Nedved, are two complete packages who offer both incisiveness and tactical nous in abundance. They suit my tactics to a tee and would look to combine with Xavi on the ball with their astute passing and movement, offer support in the final third, solidify the midfield by tucking in and offer threat out wide occasionally.

In comes Paul Scholes into the type of set-up he was born to play in. Xavi's hero adds another layer of ball mastery and busyness to the midfield, while translating some of that dominance into goal threat. He and Chapuisat are equally brilliant on the ball with their technique, creativity and link up play whilst being ruthless with their finishing. Their link-up play, off the ball movement, interchangability and ability to drag their markers around should be a treat for Xavi to work with, and the Wide Midfielders would cherish the openings and the link up ability that the deadly duo possess. Chapuisat makes his overdue draft debut having led the line so well for Champions League winning Dortmund during the 1990s and twice finished in the Ballon D'Or top 10. He plays here as a false 9 and should dovetail beautifully with the creative cast behind him.

XAVI
Make no mistake, the side is built around him with a complementary cast for the Spaniard to conduct his orchestra. Xavi in the 08-10 period was nothing short of amazing, with his incisiveness and ability to dominate the midfield. The man boasted nearly 50 assists during this period and was extremely incisive and capable of threading through balls like very few, all whilst boasting several decisive match winning moments (Euro 2008 POTT, assisting Torres's final winner and being the best player on the pitch, Messi's header and Pedro's opener in CL finals etc).

With the likes of Seedorf, Nedved, Scholes and Chapuisat - all technically and creatively gifted nimble and fluid players - to dovetail with, it would take some doing to stop Xavi - someone with unrivalled consistency which truly defined his peak.

SUBS: Moller, Van Persie, Brown

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Ok I've decided that SirScholes likely line-up would be:

1. Abbon... 2. Sagnol 3. Mihilovic 4. M Silva 5. Hierro 6. Terry 7. C. Ronaldo 8. Pirlo 9. Batigol 10. Iniesta 11. Okotcha

Bench. 12. Jarni 13. Cannavaro 14. Solskjaer

No injuries for SirScholes

EDIT: I have been made aware that Hierro and Okotcha played together however since with two injury randomisations no player between numbers 2-14 were injured it makes no difference for injuries which is why I had to mock up a team.

Last edited:
Winners of QF Squads

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Joga Bonito/Gio 1. Xavi 2. Nedved 3. Seedorf 4. Carvalho 5. Deschamps 6. Lucio 7. Benarrivo 8. Neuer 9. van Persie 10. Möller 11. Grosso 12. Park 13. Rooney 14. W.Brown 15. Scholes 16. Stephane Chapuisat

Pat Mustard/Sjor Bepo 1. Redondo 2. Figo 3. A. Cole 4. Ferrara 5. Gascoigne 6. Villa 7. Petrescu 8. Boli 9. Larsson 10. Lloris 11. Tugay 12. Yaya Toure 13. Nani 14. Kuffour 15. Vidal 16. Candela

Tuppet 1. Zidane 2. Schweinsteiger 3. Stam 4. Ibrahimovic 5. Luis Enrique 6. Forlan 7. Panucci 8. Kompany 9. Cech 10. Ince 11. Leonardo 12. Bonucci 13. Francisco Arce 14. Emil Kostadinov 15. Evra 16. Paulo Sousa

OneNil - 1. Maldini 2. Ferdinand 3. Henry 4. Mendieta 5. Mascherano 6. S. Ramos 7. Marchisio 8. Caniggia 9. Maicon 10. Litmanen 11. Salas 12. Graeme Le Saux 13. V.Baia 14. Nakata 15. Montero 16. Drogba

Reinforcement Pool for SF

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Physiocrat 1. Thuram 2. Modric 3. T.Silva 4. van Nistelrooy 5. Sol Campbell 6. G. Signori 7. Serginho 8.Kanchelskis 9. O.Kahn 10. De Rossi 11. Riquelme 12. Geremi 13. Baines 14. Jorgenson 15. Brian Laudrup 16. D.Silva

VivaJanuzaj/EAP 1. P Lahm 2. L. Suarez 3. Effenberg 4. Shearer 5. Overmars 6. Pires 7. Abidal 8. Hyypia 9. Senna 10. Sergi 11. Cambiasso 12. Pepe 13. Peruzzi 14. Valencia 15. Chiellini 16. Z. Boban

Skizzo/Annah 1. Ronaldinho 2. Lizarazu 3. Robben 4. G. Neville 5. Guardiola 6. Simeone 7. Gamarra 8. Baraja 9. Buffon 10. Miranda 11. Cavani 12. J. Heinrich 13. Cazorla 14. Elber 15. Giggs 16. N/A

Sir Scholes/The Stain- 1. Cristiano Ronaldo 2. Batistuta 3. Iniesta 4. Mauro Silva 5. Sagnol 6. Popescu 7. Terry 8. McManaman 9. Jarni 10. Abbondanzieri 11. Pirlo 12. Okocha 13. Solskjaer 14. Sinisa Mihajlovic 15. Hierro 16. Cannavaro

DavidG - 1. Ronaldo 2. Godin 3. Bergkamp 5. Veron 6. Conte 7. Ledley King 8. Albelda 9. Mostovoi 10. Escobar 11. Ivanovic 12. Salihamidzic 13. Jardel 14. Keylor Navas

Raees/Invictus
1. Nesta 2. Davids 4. Ribéry 5. Chiellini 6. Essien 7. W Samuel 8. J Lehmann 9. Giuly 10. Šuker 11. Zamorano 12. Valerón 13. Ziege 14. Juanfran

Bleezy 1. Sammer 2. R. Carlos 3. D. Alves 4. Torres 5. Ballack 6. Del Piero 7. Petit 8. Sneijder 9. Couto 10.Falcao 11. Radebe 12. Zabaleta 13. Aimar 14. Friedel

Mazhar/Enigma
1. Desailly 2. Zanetti 3. Giggs 5. Shevchenko 6. Raúl 7. David Silva 8. Wörns 9. Pessotto 10. Klos 11. Mark van Bommel 12. P.Cocu 13. T. Linke 14. Djalminha

Downcast 1. R. Baggio 2. Kaka 3. Etoo 4. Ayala 5. Maniche 6. Xabi Alonso 8. F. De Boer 9. Camoranesi 10.Barthez 11. Bierhoff 12. C. Bravo 13. Brolin 14. Ferrer

P-Nut
1. R. Keane 2. Vieira 4. Rui Costa 5. Puyol 6. Barzagli 7. Carrick 8. Ginola 9. Garay 10. Handanovic 11. Basler 12. Robinho 13. Gattuso 14. Carragher

Aldo/prath92
1. Totti 2. Rivaldo 3. Vidic 4. Hierro 6. Z. Boban 7. Deco 8. Ljungberg 9. Julio Cesar 10. Juan Pablo Sorin 11. Babbel 12. Klose 14. Srna

Reinforcement pool plus unpicked players but remember picks 1 and 2 are ineligible. Red means they miss the semis.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
wait shouldnt we do reinforcement round picks before match ups?

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Lamb Style Reinforcements

Please PM Physio and Green Smiley with two picks. Rules for Lamb drafting are below.

Deadlines (please be quicker though)-

Pick 1 - 24 hours (after the final game of the round is concluded)
Pick 2 - 12 hours
Pick 3 - 12 hours

No changing of picks once submitted.

Let's say A, B, C, D and E are playing the draft.

All 5 managers PM Physio and Green Smiley (cricket examples):

Pick 1 :

A : Shane Warne, Steve Waugh
B : Shane Warne, Ricky Ponting
C : Don Bradman, Shane Warne
D : Viv Richards, Gary Sobers
E : Malcolm Marshall, WG Grace

According to the rules, A and B don't get any players and their picks fail. C, D and E successfully sign their players. So, at the end of the deadline someone will post something like this :

Results of Round 1, Pick 1 :

A : Fail, Steve Waugh
B : Fail, Ricky Ponting,
C : Don Bradman, Fail
D : Viv Richards, Gary Sobers
E : Malcolm Marshall, WG Grace

Important : successfully drafted players will be announced after each drafting round unlike Sheep Drafting. So the managers going into the second/third attempt will know which players have been picked. Now, A and B have to submit again for the same criteria as their second attempt etc. Shane Warne though will still be eligible for picking in round 2 and 3 of reinforcement drafting; he is only blocked in the round where more than one drafter picks him.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
@Gio @Joga Bonito

Carvalho is injured.

Anyone know what SirScholes' likely first XI and bench would be? It's for injuries
Joga and Gio would have been in a bit of bother after the injury then? Brown on for Carvalho is the only possible defensive sub, but then Scholes needs to come off. Park/RVP/Rooney all clash with Scholes and Brown, and Moller is blocked by Chapuisat.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Joga and Gio would have been in a bit of bother after the injury then? Brown on for Carvalho is the only possible defensive sub, but then Scholes needs to come off. Park/RVP/Rooney all clash with Scholes and Brown, and Moller is blocked by Chapuisat.
On closer inspection RVP and Brown don't block each other so I was talking shite. I imagine it would have been Carvalho and Scholes subbed off and replaced with Brown and RVP.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Yups. His subs strategy is predicated on... not needing subs. I think he has gotten no mates all wrong (or Seedorf doesn't let him pick anything but United and Dortmund players :lol:)

By the way, @Joga Bonito I think you had a better team with Moller-RvP than with Scholes-Chapuisat.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Any comments on Joga/Gio's side?
Fantastic players who guarantee the battle midfield victory.

Chapuisat should be deployed as a support striker so Chapuisat + a CF makes more sense IMO

With Dortmund, I have the feeling that Rieldle led the line attack with Chapuisat moving around him.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
By the way, @Joga Bonito I think you had a better team with Moller-RvP than with Scholes-Chapuisat.
Agree.

He and Chapuisat are equally brilliant on the ball with their technique, creativity and link up play whilst being ruthless with their finishing
Don't think that Scholes was a ruthless finisher and don't remember much about Chapuisat (I guess that Joga expected that reaction though)

Scholes said:
A lot of my finishing came down to instinct, When I had time to think about a shot I don’t think I was a very good finisher. I’d always go for power. Whether that was a header or a shot from the edge of the box – I’d put my foot through it and hope it went in the right direction. Sometimes there would be a bit of guile behind it but I’d rarely go for a side foot finish, it wasn’t something I was very good at.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Yes, they regressed.
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

I'm not a fan of that Joga/Gio side at all and I don't think it's particularly well balanced or thought out.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
@Joga Bonito @Gio

Only you guys left to pick
Picking soon.

Meh, I can understand Chapuisat being bit of a sideways move (always did have a spot for him though and he was a fine player for Dortmund) but Scholes was just about the perfect fit for my midfield, despite blocking a whole host of players and rendering my subs unavailable :lol:. I'd considered Gerrard, Lampard, Ballack, Gazza and a host of other AMs/#10s/SSs and what nots but no one offered the same combination of nifty interplay, goalthreat and of course some added bite as Scholes did, whilst fitting into the side's approach quite nicely (whereas other fairly complete midfielders such as Lampard and Gerrard might be accused of lacking the same level of technique and interplay to elevate in our midfield).

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Picking soon.

Meh, I can understand Chapuisat being bit of a sideways move (always did have a spot for him though and he was a fine player for Dortmund) but Scholes was just about the perfect fit for my midfield, despite blocking a whole host of players and rendering my subs unavailable :lol:. I'd considered Gerrard, Lampard, Ballack, Gazza and a host of other AMs/#10s/SSs and what nots but no one offered the same combination of nifty interplay, goalthreat and of course some added bite as Scholes did, whilst fitting into the side's approach quite nicely (whereas other fairly complete midfielders such as Lampard and Gerrard might be accused of lacking the same level of technique and interplay to elevate in our midfield).
I guess you are underrating Moller then. He is the best fit with your midfield out of all of that lot you mention.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Not a huge fan of Scholes in that role. If it's a 4-4-2 he has to play as a central midfielder and not as a forward.
Ah, I can see where you are coming from and tbf, it isn't exactly Villa/Torres's or Cole-Yorke forward role/ duo dynamics that we are talking about here but rather Fabregas's custom role as a CM/AM that really elevated the Spain team post Villa's injury (unfair to Villa) that we are trying to emulate here. Either way, will leave the discussions for the match-day.

I guess you are underrating Moller then. He is the best fit with your midfield out of all of that lot you mention.
Yeah, it's subjective.

Enigma_87

You know who
I liked Joga/Gio's team a lot better in the first round. It seems like a downgrade for me especially Chapuisat for RvP.

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Results of Round 1, Pick 1 :

Joga Bonito/Gio - Popescu, Babbel

Pat Mustard/Sjor Bepo -
Vidic, van Nistelrooy

Tuppet -
Brian Laudrup, Fabio Cannavaro

OneNil -
O.Kahn, P.Cocu

All passed. Merry Christmas!

SF Squads

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
SF team

Joga Bonito/Gio
1. Xavi 2. Nedved 3. Seedorf 4. Carvalho 5. Deschamps 6. Lucio 7. Benarrivo 8. Neuer 9. van Persie 10. Möller 11. Grosso 12. Park 13. Rooney 14. W.Brown 15. Scholes 16. Stephane Chapuisat 17. Popescu 18. Babbel

Pat Mustard/Sjor Bepo 1. Redondo 2. Figo 3. A. Cole 4. Ferrara 5. Gascoigne 6. Villa 7. Petrescu 8. Boli 9. Larsson 10. Lloris 11. Tugay 12. Yaya Toure 13. Nani 14. Kuffour 15. Vidal 16. Candela 17. Vidic 18. van Nistelrooy

Tuppet 1. Zidane 2. Schweinsteiger 3. Stam 4. Ibrahimovic 5. Luis Enrique 6. Forlan 7. Panucci 8. Kompany 9. Cech 10. Ince 11. Leonardo 12. Bonucci 13. Francisco Arce 14. Emil Kostadinov 15. Evra 16. Paulo Sousa 17. Brian Laudrup 18. Fabio Cannavaro

OneNil - 1. Maldini 2. Ferdinand 3. Henry 4. Mendieta 5. Mascherano 6. S. Ramos 7. Marchisio 8. Caniggia 9. Maicon 10. Litmanen 11. Salas 12. Graeme Le Saux 13. V.Baia 14. Nakata 15. Montero 16. Drogba 17. O.Kahn 18. P.Cocu

Moby

Dick
Ah, I can see where you are coming from and tbf, it isn't exactly Villa/Torres's or Cole-Yorke forward role/ duo dynamics that we are talking about here but rather Fabregas's custom role as a CM/AM that really elevated the Spain team post Villa's injury (unfair to Villa) that we are trying to emulate here. Either way, will leave the discussions for the match-day.
I did take that into account and interpret the arrows as what they were meant to be but regardless of the positioning the crux of the matter is that undoubtable Scholes' greatest attributes were his passing, vision, creativity and the ability to control the tempo of the game, even if he completed those with a reasonable goal tally during his younger days. For a lot of us his peak was his 06-08 incarnation where he brought those to the front and took every game by the scruff of it's neck from the middle of the park. Your conundrum obviously being that you have Xavi doing the same in your team which is why you have to opt for a younger incarnation of Scholes but I was expecting a 4-5-14-3-3 with Scholes being more involved in midfield than the final third. I wouldn't overplay his goal threat to the extent where the team starts relying on it, as we never did.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
but I was expecting a 4-5-14-3-3 with Scholes being more involved in midfield than the final third. I wouldn't overplay his goal threat to the extent where the team starts relying on it, as we never did.
Aye, could have been portrayed better in the teamsheet no doubt, it's definitely more of a 4-5-1 than a 4-4-2 (akin to Spain's transformation in 08) and Scholes is more of an AM, combining with the midfielders and bursting forward, and dropping deep off the ball to solidify the midfield (just as Fabregas did but to a lower level ofc), and not a probing second-striker, as it does look in the team-sheet.

Last edited: