Surveillance Draft

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
PatBepo pick Oliver Kahn and Thiago Silva
Tuppet picks Samuel Eto'o and Bodo Illgner

Squads for the Final

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Pat Mustard/Sjor Bepo 1. Redondo 2. Figo 3. A. Cole 4. Ferrara 5. Gascoigne 6. Villa 7. Petrescu 8. Boli 9. Larsson 10. Lloris 11. Tugay 12. Yaya Toure 13. Nani 14. Kuffour 15. Vidal 16. Candela 17. Vidic 18. van Nistelrooy 19. O.Kahn 20. T.Silva

Tuppet 1. Zidane 2. Schweinsteiger 3. Stam 4. Ibrahimovic 5. Luis Enrique 6. Forlan 7. Panucci 8. Kompany 9. Cech 10. Ince 11. Leonardo 12. Bonucci 13. Francisco Arce 14. Emil Kostadinov 15. Evra 16. Paulo Sousa 17. Brian Laudrup 18. Fabio Cannavaro 19. Eto'o 20. B.Illgner

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
shame we are not in the final against gio and joga

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
cheers, shame about our game.....there was potential for an interesting game as it should be in SF.
Yes. I think if we had both set up legitimately and wasn't when I was really hungover the match could have been a classic. I felt I had an advantage in defense, you had the midfield battle and the attackers would have been debatable (although I prefer Henry of course ;)

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Congrats on getting to the final @Pat_Mustard @Šjor Bepo and @Tuppet
Thanks mate :).

Yes. I think if we had both set up legitimately and wasn't when I was really hungover the match could have been a classic. I felt I had an advantage in defense, you had the midfield battle and the attackers would have been debatable (although I prefer Henry of course ;)
I was massively hungover too :lol:. Agreed, it would have been a good, close game without our feck ups. We were depending on dominating midfield as you were so strong elsewhere. You were in my top two teams after the initial drafting BTW along with Gio :)

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Thanks mate :).

I was massively hungover too :lol:. Agreed, it would have been a good, close game without our feck ups. We were depending on dominating midfield as you were so strong elsewhere. You were in my top two teams after the initial drafting BTW along with Gio :)
Thanks and cheers! What I was originally envisioning before our feck ups, was my side always trying to move the ball from flank to flank and stretching your midfield and reducing their influence while you tried to just dominate us in the center and turn that into expected goal dominance with your spine. Seemed like a classic match up in that sense and since we both had great technique it could have been a great match to watch.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
And the Best Drafter Award goes to

Gio

Congrats
Really? He drafted well, as usual, but I thought others did better considering they didn't get first dibs (less important, that isn't a drafting advantage but an in-game advantage) AND the luxury of double-picking.

This draft in particular, double-picks were a huge plus. I could tell being at the other end.

antohan

BTW, any thoughts on how my shadow side would have looked if I had another shot at reinforcements? Too gung-ho? I'd love to see that in action!

From the outset I was keen on making that Schweini-Nedved-Boban trio behind RvN in a 4-3-3, the rest sort of fell into place along the way. Ayala blocked Boban though so I had to keep waiting for Thiago (and then he was injured :mad:).

Subs: Ayala, Torricelli, Srna, Petrescu, Essien, McManaman, Kewell, Moller, RvP

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@antohan

I like that team a lot. Hardworking and lost of direct creativity to feed Ruud. Also great passing ability all through the team to pull off incisive counters- I like Bastian as a DLP, tenacity, positioning and passing but he didn't get much love there when I played him in the original all-time No Mates draft.

My only initial concern is the Abidal and Pires combo on the left wing however thinking about it with Nedved there he can switch and left and link up. A really, really good side. Even with Essien at DM it would have given Tuppet's side a run for his money.

@green_smiley

Thanks for all your work being a Draft Master apprentice - the force is strong with this one.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
BTW, any thoughts on how my shadow side would have looked if I had another shot at reinforcements? Too gung-ho? I'd love to see that in action!

From the outset I was keen on making that Schweini-Nedved-Boban trio behind RvN in a 4-3-3, the rest sort of fell into place along the way. Ayala blocked Boban though so I had to keep waiting for Thiago (and then he was injured :mad:).

Nice side and as Physio mentioned I could see RVN thriving in it, do think you need a bit more goalscoring threat and could do with Möller in the side with Nedved out wide instead of Pires.

antohan

@antohan

I like that team a lot. Hardworking and lost of direct creativity to feed Ruud. Also great passing ability all through the team to pull off incisive counters- I like Bastian as a DLP, tenacity, positioning and passing but he didn't get much love there when I played him in the original all-time No Mates draft.

My only initial concern is the Abidal and Pires combo on the left wing however thinking about it with Nedved there he can switch and left and link up. A really, really good side. Even with Essien at DM it would have given Tuppet's side a run for his money.

@green_smiley

Thanks for all your work being a Draft Master apprentice - the force is strong with this one.
Differently from the more forward-ish Laudrup expertly supported by Benarrivo, Pires played most of his best football as a left winger starting from midfield. The idea is he won't get that much support from Abidal but, instead, have Nedved working the flank and inside left channel with him.

That leaves a back three of Abidal-Thiago-Bonucci during attacking phases. Some would argue you need a Stam (or Ayala if he weren't blocked) to add steel, but that defence could really push high up, play ball, and with the midfield in front of it just completely dominate the game so that destruction isn't all that relevant. In fact, against Eto'o, Laudrup and Forlán, with Schweini picking up Zidane I'd argue it's better to have a backline like that.

antohan

Nice side and as Physio mentioned I could see RVN thriving in it, do think you need a bit more goalscoring threat and could do with Möller in the side with Nedved out wide instead of Pires.
Thought about that, but felt that midfield trio would be too lightweight with Moller instead of Nedved. I also had a hard on from the start at the notion of playing Nedved and Boban in the same side (Boban was the one I was alluding to when I told @Gio I had been mulling over Prosinecki but discarded him).

It's a shame I couldn't get Kanchelskis, else I could play Petrescu as well... At one point I had made up my mind to create @harms wildest wet dream, but Nedved also blocked the only left wing option I could think of, so had to pick Kewell instead.

In fact, if anyone replicates something remotely resembling that in the Iron Curtain draft, it's curtains for all.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

That would be the best team in the whole draft.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

Looks excellent, alhough I'm sure you'd have been looking to upgrade Navas for a more renowned GK at some point. Also, Boban and Brian Laudrup block each other.

antohan

@Physiocrat @green_smiley what was the GK ranking out of interest?
Aggregate scores. All in all, we were all satisfied it was a good reflection of relative ranking (the Top 1 & 2 traded sides and Balu actually settled it for Buffon by rating Neuer above Kahn :lol:). Other than that Neuer was always third and the same held for Cech and Peruzzi.

Only a couple showed relevant variations (funny enough, Baia and Córdoba, the two which would have been involved in a shootout).

Buffon 78
Kahn 77
Neuer 73
Cech 68
Peruzzi 64
Barthez 57
Julio Cesar 53
Cordoba 50
Lehmann 49
Baia 45
Navas 41
Lloris 36
Klos 31
Abbondanzieri 28
Handanovic 26
Bravo 23
Friedel 17

Enigma_87

You know who
Aggregate scores. All in all, we were all satisfied it was a good reflection of relative ranking (the Top 1 & 2 traded sides and Balu actually settled it for Buffon by rating Neuer above Kahn :lol:). Other than that Neuer was always third and the same held for Cech and Peruzzi.

Only a couple showed relevant variations (funny enough, Baia and Córdoba, the two which would have been involved in a shootout).

Buffon 78
Kahn 77
Neuer 73
Cech 68
Peruzzi 64
Barthez 57
Julio Cesar 53
Cordoba 50
Lehmann 49
Baia 45
Navas 41
Lloris 36
Klos 31
Abbondanzieri 28
Handanovic 26
Bravo 23
Friedel 17
wow interesting. Lehman is below Cordoba and Bartez above Julio Cesar.

I'd probably have it in this order:
Buffon
Neuer
Kahn
Cech
Julio Cesar
Peruzzi
Lehmann
Cordoba
Baia
Barthez
Lloris
Klos
Navas
Abbo
Handanovic
Friedel
Bravo

very much similar to the actual ranking :D

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
@antohan

@green_smiley

No problem. It was tough with some of the rules, but overall, you run the draft well

Great draft concept and thanks for all hard work @Physiocrat @green_smiley .
You're welcome, and congrats for winning the final

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
wow interesting. Lehman is below Cordoba and Bartez above Julio Cesar.
As an Arsenal fan, I actually think your list that overrates Lehmann a bit. He always had brain farts in him like a David Luiz but as a keeper (maybe thats a little too harsh but Jens always frustrated me). Even that 2006 CL final was a mistake on his part IMO, better to go a goal down that a man down + penalty.

Here is where I would put Lehmann and even then I would still personally hesitate to ever draft him simply because he frustrated me soo much over the years.

Buffon
Neuer
Kahn
Cech
Julio Cesar
Peruzzi
Cordoba
Baia
Barthez
Lloris
Navas
Lehmann
Handanovic
Klos
Abbo
Friedel
Bravo

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Buffon 78
Kahn 77
Neuer 73
Cech 68
Peruzzi 64
Barthez 57
Julio Cesar 53
Cordoba 50
Lehmann 49
Baia 45
Navas 41
Lloris 36
Klos 31
Abbondanzieri 28
Handanovic 26
Bravo 23
Friedel 17
Lovely stuff. Good piece of work boys, I really can't fault that. Okay maybe Barthez is a bit high, but I think you've pretty much nailed it.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Id have Navas and Lloris above Cordoba, Lehmann and Baia but other then that its a pretty good list.

Enigma_87

You know who
As an Arsenal fan, I actually think your list that overrates Lehmann a bit. He always had brain farts in him like a David Luiz but as a keeper (maybe thats a little too harsh but Jens always frustrated me). Even that 2006 CL final was a mistake on his part IMO, better to go a goal down that a man down + penalty.
Not much between them I prefer him to the other tho as overall qualities. Wouldn't take Barthez over him (for the same reasons you had and his stay at United :D)

antohan

Id have Navas and Lloris above Cordoba, Lehmann and Baia but other then that its a pretty good list.
Disagree on Cordoba, although I obviously saw a lot more of him on a regular basis (I had him ahead of Barthez and don't think he is far behind Chilavert).

I did have Navas ahead of the other two and Lloris>Baia but immediately after Lehmann. I think it was @Balu that elevated Baia just ahead of those two, similar to how I influenced Córdoba being ahead of Lemon and Baia.