Tactical analysis of Ronaldo leading Man City forward line....

tomaldinho1

I can confirm Ronaldo isn’t joining City. Do you think he’s played for great clubs with prestige and traditional values like Utd, Madrid, Juventus just to end up tainting his reputation by joining City? He hasn’t. He’s said before that out of loyalty to Utd he’d never join one of our rivals and that he wants to create history, not taint it by joining an oil club. Ronaldo playing in front of a bunch of plastics that aren’t even from Manchester? Bro, c’mon
Thank you for confirming.

NoLogo

I wasn't too nervous about them signing Kane, as I don't think he really suits them. And I think Ronnie suits them even less. He may score loads of goals, but I think he'll negatively impact their tactical style. And he definitely won't accept anything other than playing every match he's fit to play.
I was the complete opposite. I think there is no striker in the modern game that would fit into a Guardiola system better than Kane, apart from Messi of course.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He will score plenty of tap ins and give them an aerial threat they don't currently have. I'm not even worried about him making them better as I don't think he will - it's more a PR thing.

It feels like we took Sancho so now they're trying to 1 up us.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Don't see this happening. What is it 4 days left for the window to close?

Flyer1

Supports
City
Think Kane was their number one target at that point & Ronaldo now fits the bill in terms of timing (Kane has confirmed he’s staying) & also “prestige” - Qatar signed Messi and now Abu Dhabi following suit.
Messi was close to signing for City twice previously, we then signed grealish and the open offer was withdrawn. That said, if he'd really wanted to play for pep again he could have so it was his choice, there was no offer by the time he declared he had left Barca.
For Ronaldo, I don't want him at city because he doesn't seem to be the team player that pep insists on, he's selfish and all that preening doesn't sit well with me. He'll score a lot of goals but I've no idea how he'll fit in the team and adapt, I guess that's why football is the greatest, who knows what happens next?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Messi was close to signing for City twice previously, we then signed grealish and the open offer was withdrawn. That said, if he'd really wanted to play for pep again he could have so it was his choice, there was no offer by the time he declared he had left Barca.
For Ronaldo, I don't want him at city because he doesn't seem to be the team player that pep insists on, he's selfish and all that preening doesn't sit well with me. He'll score a lot of goals but I've no idea how he'll fit in the team and adapt, I guess that's why football is the greatest, who knows what happens next?
Messi would have been a better fit, agreed. But as you say, you guys create a lot of chances, so Ronaldo will score bucket loads and then who knows.

mshnsh

Over past 3 seasons in Italy, no one come close to Ronaldo in matching his goal tally:

1. Ronaldo - 101 goals in 131 games
2. Immobile - 83 goals in 137 games
3. Quagluarella - 51 goals in 101 games

Over past 2 seasons, similar:

1. Ronaldo - 73 goals in 90 games
2. Immobile - 64 goals in 85 games
3. Lukaku - 64 goals in 95 games

He is also top goalscorer in Euro this summer.

Yes it’s only 1 game for Lukaku, but one could already tell he is going to be huge and will score a lot in Chelsea.
You are comparing him to some really mediocre players who play for much inferior teams compared to Juve.

He was tops scorer only once in serie A. And so many goals were penalties.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
He'll be good just by virtue of forcing Guardiola to use a striker. City have enough chance creation, pressing and everything else they just need some to finish the tap ins. I expect him to be annoyingly good for them (or at least effective).
This. Plus his hold up play will be better than anything they've had in the no9 position. He will absolutely relish the sort of service they provide in and around the penalty box.

For me the biggest risk isn't the tactical fit, but if he declines sharply at some point.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I don't really agree that Cristiano is not a typical Guardiola player. The young CR7 definitely would have been with his dribbling prowess and technique. He's not that player anymore but still has world class runs and world class finishing on top of a tidy technique, good strength and decent pace. It's not as if Guardiola only played Messis, Xavis and Iniestas. He was also very successful with Pedro, Lewandowski or Müller. Runs and spatial awareness are very important to him and Ronaldo delivers both at a world class level. And even if Ronaldo pales at most attacking disciplines compared to Messi, his link up play, ball control is still elite for a center forward (or at least was not too long ago). I know he's often described as some sort of Inzaghi these days but that's a consequence of being compared to Messi all the time, IMO. Very few can come off looking good in that comparison, let alone at 36.

Moreover, Guardiola has opened up to other tactical approaches at City. They cross and take shots from a difference quite a lot compared to Pep's Barca, especially de Bruyne. And with Sterling fallen out of favor, they definitely could use somebody to make great runs. Most of their players like to have the ball at their feet.

sparx99

I was the complete opposite. I think there is no striker in the modern game that would fit into a Guardiola system better than Kane, apart from Messi of course.
Totally agree, Kane is the complete striker who dropping off and goal scoring threat would have been transformative even for City.

JoaquinJoaquin

It sounds ridiculously obvious, but it's all dependent on his ability to put up the numbers in the big games.

They batter the lower teams for fun anyway, so Ronaldo banging 30 goals against Burnley and Norwich etc adds little value and simply takes the onus off their 62 midfielders.

If he can't translate it into big goals to secure the points against Liverpool, Chelsea, United etc then City aren't going to be much better off on the pitch.

Commercial value will be ridiculous however. They've ticked a box with Grealish and his **** following (i.e. the boohoo loving 35 year old woman), but Ronaldo is on another planet and just drags 250m eyes on Social Media and will sell shirts and merch for fun.
That's why the deal is perfect for them, pretty much regardless of how he does on the pitch. A bit like Messi with PSG, All the young kids playing FIFA etc. will all pick City now and that spawns a new generation of fans across the World. We laugh about how empty the Etihad is at the moment, but in 5 or 10 years they will constantly fill it, unfortunately.

Canagel

He isn't that good anymore and will flop badly.

I watched lots of Serie A games of him and Juventus actively avoid passing to him in the build up. His first touch is worst than Lukaku these days. He can't dribble past one player, can't pass with any real quality, barely moves outside of the box and his free kicks are abysmal.

Man's a penalty box poacher and that's it. He can't play football anymore

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
You are comparing him to some really mediocre players who play for much inferior teams compared to Juve.

He was tops scorer only once in serie A. And so many goals were penalties.
He was also top scorer in Euro this summer, and he scored more goals than anyone in Italy in past 2-3 years. Other top scorers like Immobile also took a lot of penalties.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Judging from his juve days he's the antithesis of a pep player

he's been almost lethargic in the off the ball movement almost no press and can't help with the build up at all

Without a doubt he will poach a lot of goals especially those that sterling and Jesus can't seem to finish properly

though if it comes to pass i find it hard how any of the party's involved will benefit from this

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’ll play the Sterling role but with a lot better finishing. He’ll be on the end of their moves, particularly their classic ball down the inside channel then squared across.
I was thinking that but wondering if Sterling does more defensively/with pressures — and holy moly does Sterling’s defensive numbers according to fbref are really crap for an attacker. I expected a Pep forward to have much higher pressures!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He was also top scorer in Euro this summer, and he scored more goals than anyone in Italy in past 2-3 years. Other top scorers like Immobile also took a lot of penalties.
Belgium and Germany both did fine completely nulifying him from open play.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Pretty telling that Same Lee says Pep doesn't have a plan for him but just wants a striker.
This could end in tears. Sounds very similar to the Ibrahimovic transfer.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This. Will be funny seeing Ronaldo leading the high press in a Pep-side.

Lukaku >> 37-year old Ronaldo
Off the ball, Ronaldo won't lead the press, it will be another. He will play centrally only when they have the ball.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Judging from his juve days he's the antithesis of a pep player

he's been almost lethargic in the off the ball movement almost no press and can't help with the build up at all

Without a doubt he will poach a lot of goals especially those that sterling and Jesus can't seem to finish properly

though if it comes to pass i find it hard how any of the party's involved will benefit from this
Quite simply, putting the ball in the net consistently is the hardest job in football. Ronaldo fills that gap for City as they have no natural goalscorer. His movement to find open goalscoring space is as good as they come, as is his ability to get shots off. They benefit off the pitch immeasurably in that they get a huge one over United while also getting a massive reputation boost that is only possible with him or Messi, and on the pitch he fills a need for them. It's a nightmare signing.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I think he will do really well tbh. They have a team that is wildly creative so it's not important than Ronaldo is mainly a poacher these days because he's still one of the best in the world at it.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Belgium and Germany both did fine completely nulifying him from open play.
Well what can I say, Bruno and the whole Portgual team was far worse in Euro in many of those games, at least Ronaldo was easily Portugal best player in Euro.

Withnail

I can confirm Ronaldo isn’t joining City. Do you think he’s played for great clubs with prestige and traditional values like Utd, Madrid, Juventus just to end up tainting his reputation by joining City? He hasn’t. He’s said before that out of loyalty to Utd he’d never join one of our rivals and that he wants to create history, not taint it by joining an oil club. Ronaldo playing in front of a bunch of plastics that aren’t even from Manchester? Bro, c’mon
Calm down everyone redrobed has spoken

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Quite simply, putting the ball in the net consistently is the hardest job in football. Ronaldo fills that gap for City as they have no natural goalscorer. His movement to find open goalscoring space is as good as they come, as is his ability to get shots off. They benefit off the pitch immeasurably in that they get a huge one over United while also getting a massive reputation boost that is only possible with him or Messi, and on the pitch he fills a need for them. It's a nightmare signing.
While I get where you're coming from city need a big game scorer as they have no problem constantly putting 5 past the Norwiches of the world and Ronaldo simply isn't what he used to be in big games

He cost them the porto game (in which they were given a life line by chiesa) and failed to impact the game either against ac milan ,inter or any of the big games juve had last season

Perhaps the most damning of it all was the the fact that juve simply refused to play him when they had to urgently win every game to get top 4

While you're point about city getting one over us is true as it would humiliate us considering all the fawning we did over him through the years and his massive commercial appeal it would far from a set in stone nightmare signing as you think it would be

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Pep's no 9 is not just running behind defenders or just score poacher goal. He always demand his no 9 to run a lot pressing defenders, drop deep, and good passer. Not 36 years old Ronaldo's style. I don't know how Pep will fit him in to his system. I can't see 36 years old Ronaldo run a lot chasing defenders, drop deep a lot, and play one touch passing or playing like false 9.

stevoc

Might be a controversial opinion but I don't think he'll even score a goal for City.

gorky_utd

He will be brilliant for them. Kdb can pass the ball, mahrez can cross, sterling can set up a tap in. Endless possibilities :lol: :lol: .