Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante

Average bang
I would love to be proven wrong, but I don't think Chong's style will translate smoothly to the senior game. His command of the ball seems a little 'loose'.

I've not seen enough of him for anyone to take me seriously, though.

Hoof the ball

He should never cut his hair. For one thing, he looks like Gullit if you squint. Secondly, what if his abilities are like Sansom? The big fro stays.

SteveW

I would love to be proven wrong, but I don't think Chong's style will translate smoothly to the senior game. His command of the ball seems a little 'loose'.

I've not seen enough of him for anyone to take me seriously, though.
Interesting. How so?

Dante

Average bang
Interesting. How so?
I'm mostly going by Youtube videos and the odd match. It's nowhere near enough to be certain about anything.

But I think he compensates for his average control with his incredible physical attributes. I'd be more hopeful about a player with tidy control and average physical attributes. The step up is easier for someone with the latter style. Having said that, Rooney was one of the greatest players of his generation doing the same thing. It's a very rare player who can make the transition, though.

The sheer number of people who are excited about him suggests that I'm wrong. I hope I am.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I'm mostly going by Youtube videos and the odd match. It's nowhere near enough to be certain about anything.

But I think he compensates for his average control with his incredible physical attributes. I'd be more hopeful about a player with tidy control and average physical attributes. The step up is easier for someone with the latter style. Having said that, Rooney was one of the greatest players of his generation doing the same thing. It's a very rare player who can make the transition, though.

The sheer number of people who are excited about him suggests that I'm wrong. I hope I am.
Completely disagree, it is by far easier for players of the first style. The PL is chock full of physical players with average control. Practically every winger in the league is like that outside the top clubs.

SteveW

There's always a danger in young players dominating underage football through physical superiority then not being able to do it at senior level when those advantages are less pronounced. I actually get the impression this guy is a genuinely skillful footballer though and he's got nice vision about him.

I see where you're coming from though. He's not one of those Hazard or Messi types who keeps the ball really close when dribbling. He's a little bit more of a kick and run type. Giggs was too though and Tahith has a similar balance about him imo

Vanrouge

His gait reminds me of Best. Also, the way he shrugs off hard challenges. That's all I'm comparing at this point, mind, so no one jump down my throat. ;)

Denis79

Those who have followed him a bit more, is he any good on his right foot? Read in his description he's a left footed RW. Does he cross with his right foot or does he do a "Young" everytime he crosses?

Utdstar01

Anybody who really thinks he's a kick and run merchant haven't watched him properly. His close control when running at pace and quick change of direction can be frightening.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Think this ‘loose control’ narrative should be stopped in it’s tracks before it becomes a Caf fact. He has very good close control. I personally think he’s the real thing. And I’m someone who was a bit unsure pre-injury - but the lad is a special talent. I say he is more likely than he isn’t to seize his chance in pre-season. He’s good enough to feature for the first team this season.

Trophy Room

The idea of him seems promising. I'm excited to see what he can become. I'll hold my hand up though, only ever warched youtube videos though :lol:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Came on and completely changed the match.

deafepl

Chong is more talented than Rashford. his decisions making is better, if it was Rashford in his shoes, he would try to shot first.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Interceptions, runs, tackling, passing, that cross causing goalscoring chance for Mata... done many things right during these 45 minutes.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Only exciting thing about this game. Needs to have a chat with fellow Dutchman RvP about shielding the ball but a lot of that is likely down to still underdeveloped upper body strength. Watching him and Fellaini on the pitch at the same time would be fun. We could hide a player behind their hair during corners.

ash_86

This guy is the real deal. He can protect the ball like M Dembele and has the agility of O Dembele. Will not be suprised if he becomes regular in the first team.

Vanrouge

Watching Chong was the only enjoyable part of this game, with Bailly's first half a distant second. Obviously, we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves, and I know there's only one letter's difference between hope and hype, but this was a positive.

el3mel

Liked what I had seen today. Want to see more of him on this tour, and he's coming at a position that's a problem for us so all the better.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Looked bright. Also very slight.
Has potential for sure but not a chance Mourinho uses someone like him for a few years yet.

MrPooni

Haven't been this excited about a young player's performance in a long time. Hopefully he's eased in as an impact sub as the season goes on. Definitely needs to pack on some muscle though but that will come with time.

Bwuk

Looks to suit the sort of position in the side we need filled (right forward).

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He has got a chance at breaking into the side. He was defensively working his ass off.

Dion

I'm just impressed he can play that well with that hair. There's no way it doesn't cause problems with tracking high ball over the shoulder and stuff, right?

Canagel

Looked bright. Also very slight.
Has potential for sure but not a chance Mourinho uses someone like him for a few years yet.
True. But you just know LVG would throw in him in at the deep end if he was still here. For all his faults trust in young players and getting top performances out of them wasn't one of those.
Because we don't have a RW he should definitely be part of the first team squad even coming off the bench at least. But if you don't have 'physical presence' it's difficult to play which is daft imo because RW is one of the positions that doesn't require being physical.

Last edited:

AlexUTD

Tahith Chong made waking up in the middle of the night watching the game worth it.

He showed maturity and calmness on the ball. Great cross at the goal where he shows he is a two footed player.

GO CHONG! GGMU!

Kostov

I haven't watched the game but I believe you :lol:

This kid has been quality whenever I've watched him for the youth teams, immense talent.

redshaw

Yeah he looked good. Put in a decent cross for the goal as well.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He did well, he has good chance of making first team considering his position and gap in the first team.

Cross was superb and Herrera did really well.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Good to hear that he did well. Hopefully he gets a shot this season.

Jose thinks he isn't ready physically but might see him in few cup games.

I have plans to make him train the most possible times with us," Mourinho said. "Because that increases his evolution but he has to play where he belongs, he has to play in the academy and develop physically, because physically is where he is not ready.
"Technically he is very good, tactically he understands the game and he understands his position, but by the physical point of view, but when the game gets into contact situations he is in trouble, he is fragile, he is still a kid
But the talent is there, the personality is there, the passion to play, the humility to learn, so this is a fantastic experience for him. If he can play like today, 20 or 25 minutes in every one of these five matches and, if during the season he trains with us, and has a couple of occasions to play minutes with us, I don't know, depends, some cup matches.
"He is one of the good kids we have. It is not for today but for the tomorrow he is a good kid."

ArjenIsM3

Jose thinks he isn't ready physically but might see him in few cup games.
To be fair to Jose, his body does look like it's just had a massive growth spurt. No muscle. Doesn't scream PL-ready to me either. If he works on that and gets some cup games this year I think he could be ready next year. And let's be honest. Do you really want to throw a kid like him in the deep-end and trust him to win us the Prem? That wouldn't be fair to him at all, as there's a massive chance of him collapsing under that pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.