4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

meamth

Giggs was stronger than he looked, he also had electric pace. He was certainly quicker than Chong, who is no slouch. Young Giggs had freakish talent tbf.
Back then athletes aren't fitter than what it is now.
It's easier to break through back then.

Ronaldo was struggling during his first season too, was skinny and frail, always targeted by aggresive defenders. By the time Euro 2014 ended, Ronaldo already fulfilled his muscle potential.

Rooney on the other hand was naturally bulky and he had no problem settling in. He was a rare breed to be honest.

Litch

Giggs was stronger than he looked, he also had electric pace. He was certainly quicker than Chong, who is no slouch. Young Giggs had freakish talent tbf.
That's not my point. It's the mentality that's changed at this club in how it develops attacking talent. We have happy to stick a 6.2' young lad in midfield with limited ability rather than a young player up front with bags of creativity.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Any videos?

Hair on him like

FromTheBench

Their is huge difference betwwen week in week out and just a couple of cup games against minnows and 25 minutes in friendlies.

Maybe mourinho migjt be lying but there is no way Chong should be involved that little.If he is that is Mourinhos lacking.

Smores

That's not my point. It's the mentality that's changed at this club in how it develops attacking talent. We have happy to stick a 6.2' young lad in midfield with limited ability rather than a young player up front with bags of creativity.
Why would you want us to rush a players introduction if he isn't physically ready? He can continue his development in the U23, what exactly is the issue?

jb8521

Yet we've had creative teenage attackers playing most games for us for most of the past 5 years first Januzaj then Martial then Rashford. Do you people actually think before posting this type of nonsense or are you just in such a hurry to complain that the actual reality of situations plays no part?

FromTheBench

The same Jose that bought a player not much taller than Gomes for £50m?
That was a exception so far and still Fred is a good 3 1/2 to 4 inches taller than Gomes and physically developed at his peak.

That is a huge differences.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think he’s ready to feature for the first team. Not every week of course. But I agree, he obviously hasn’t physically peaked, but that isn’t a player’s only quality. How about not playing Mata because he isn’t fast enough? It’s because he has other qualities, as does Chong, despite him being weak.

Ole90+3

Why would you want us to rush a players introduction if he isn't physically ready? He can continue his development in the U23, what exactly is the issue?
We're seriously lack creativity from the RW. Rashford was streamlined into the first team and it hasn't done him any harm.

Having said that, I haven't watched last night game yet, so he may have been physically dominated (that sounds wrong)

TomMUFC8

Very exciting performance but we do have to calm it a little. Still so young and we have to remember he is still coming back from a pretty serious injury. Hopefully a few more appearances on tour and I'd love to see him feature throughout the season but he still needs to develop physically in my opinion.

Great cameo though.

Nick7

That was a exception so far and still Fred is a good 3 1/2 to 4 inches taller than Gomes and physically developed at his peak.

That is a huge differences.
Is Gomes actually 5'3, or is that just Wikipedia. Looks more 5'5ish. Either way it's splitting hairs. Fred is tiny and was bought for a lot of money presumably for the first team.

Litch

Have you watched U23 football? That is no development. It's not about rushing players, it's about giving them a platform to play on which is everything this clubs historically been about. We should be seeing these players on the bench coming on getting minutes in games that we have clearly won....

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
But he’s just explained why he might not play every week. Because he’s still physically developing. Are you still going to stamp your feet even though he’s clearly outlined a plan to develop him in a patient and sensible manner?
Fair enough If that’s how you interpret what he said. I personally think given Jose’s track record he’s more than likely making an early excuse as to why he won’t feature at all in the first team this season. Sometimes you have to throw a talent into the deep end to see if they will sink or swim

Kostur

海尔的老板
Have you watched U23 football? That is no development. It's not about rushing players, it's about giving them a platform to play on which is everything this clubs historically been about. We should be seeing these players on the bench coming on getting minutes in games that we have clearly won....
Yeah playing in U23s is not development but playing 10 minutes in a dead match is now apparently giving them a platform.

Jesus fecking wept.

TheReligion

Abusive
If you listen to this forum we won't win any games this season so Chong would rot on the bench with Martial, Rashford et al.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
I think he’s ready to feature for the first team. Not every week of course. But I agree, he obviously hasn’t physically peaked, but that isn’t a player’s only quality. How about not playing Mata because he isn’t fast enough? It’s because he has other qualities, as does Chong, despite him being weak.
Very exciting performance but we do have to calm it a little. Still so young and we have to remember he is still coming back from a pretty serious injury. Hopefullyl a few more appearances on tour and I'd love to see him feature throughout the season but he still needs to develop physically in my opinion.

Great cameo though.
Good first touch, fluid and plays with a purpose. The raw material is there. In the beginning he played it simple and made the right decisions, the last ten minutes he was a little bit over confident or tired but overal his decisions making was good. Is he ready to be a squad member?

My heart says yes but as Tom mention he needs time. Anyway his presence was notable and that’s a really good sign.

Smores

Occasionally, it's a perfectly fine platform for the lads still getting used to their abilities and for those still growing to get used to their bodies.

I'd expect a few cup games, odd minutes here and there and for him to train with the first team. Towards the end of the season he might get more games in the seniors but rushing an 18 year old into the first team is never the right call.

Litch

Yet we've had creative teenage attackers playing most games for us for most of the past 5 years first Januzaj then Martial then Rashford. Do you people actually think before posting this type of nonsense or are you just in such a hurry to complain that the actual reality of situations plays no part?
No one has the monopoly of knowledge on a forum that's based on opinion and I'm in no hurry to coment on anything than my own reality as oppose to yours. Yes we're had attacking teenagers but it's my opinion that their abilities aren't being developed or nurtured and in fact have gone backwards in their development. The same will potentially happen if we don't do something different with this new group of players.
Rashford's happened by luck and Martial's was bought....

Kostur

海尔的老板
No one has the monopoly of knowledge on a forum that's based on opinion and I'm in no hurry to coment on anything than my own reality as oppose to yours. Yes we're had attacking teenagers but it's my opinion that their abilities aren't being developed or nurtured and in fact have gone backwards in their development. The same will potentially happen if we don't do something different with this new group of players.
Rashford's happened by luck and Martial's was bought....
If anybody on this forum has got a clue about our youth setup and how we are developing/nurturing them, it's jb.

Litch

Yeah playing in U23s is not development but playing 10 minutes in a dead match is now apparently giving them a platform.

Jesus fecking wept.
Yep, my sons played U23 and Whilst he's not the barometer of youth football, give him the option of 90mins on a weds night in front of 200 people against lads of his age as oppose to traveling with first team, eating, the dressing room and changing, and on the bench coming on at OT for 10mins, I know which one he thinks he'd learn more from....it's more than the time on the pitch that Jesus is crying about.....

Last edited:

Litch

If anybody on this forum has got a clue about our youth setup and how we are developing/nurturing them, it's jb.
Let's not get into the size of penis's or who's dad is bigger shall we....it's a public forum and if people can be telling multi league winning manager how to pick a team, what JB knows or not is nothing more than an opinion.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Let's not get into the size of penis's or who's dad is bigger shall we....it's a public forum and if people can be telling multi league winning manager how to pick a team, what JB knows or not is nothing more than an opinion.
Sure, there's also valuation to one's opinion. One's is based on actual insight, the other one on jack's shit.

ZupZup

I think he deserves some minutes this season... technically, he is more than good enough.

Yes, he still needs to, and will develop physically... but that should not be a reason to not give him a chance. He doesn't look any less physically developed than the skinny 18 year old Ryan Giggs when he came into the side.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't see anything wrong in what Jose said. Obviously Chong isn't developed physically so it's a risk to throw him in the games. Shouldn't have a problem playing few mins in the games. Saying physicality is not needed is all well and good but Chong looks very fragile and one hard tackle might break into pieces.

Still hopefully we see few cameos in the league and starts in the cup games.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
That's not really true, anyone who's followed youth football on this forum knows that JB has some sort of involvement with the academy so his "opinion" has far more backing to it than your moaning.

Litch

Occasionally, it's a perfectly fine platform for the lads still getting used to their abilities and for those still growing to get used to their bodies.

I'd expect a few cup games, odd minutes here and there and for him to train with the first team. Towards the end of the season he might get more games in the seniors but rushing an 18 year old into the first team is never the right call.
Again, not said rushing him to play, just no different that what's happening on tour anyway.

Hoof the ball

Interesting and accurate comment about Chong. He does require some physical development, however, for the first time in a long time, we had a right side presence that wasn't Valencia, for once. Matter of fact, even when Chong was wide in space on the right, with Shaw and Darmian on the left, we still overloaded and packed the left. Habits dictated that because, for whatever reason, we've not had a RW for such a time. Even if not Chong, Chong's influence highlighted a glaring hole in our attacking transition. The right.

Talking about physicality, and being consistent, Mata is no more able to withstand physical contact than Chong is. If it's shoulder to shoulder, Mata is going down. We've seen this for five years, but, I imagine Mourinho overlooks this minor inconsistency in his evaluation on the count that Mata technically has compensatory abilities that aren't physically reliant.

Litch

That's not really true, anyone who's followed youth football on this forum knows that JB has some sort of involvement with the academy so his "opinion" has far more backing to it than your moaning.
Like I said, let's not turn this into size of penis's and if you and others follow your own logic, don't 'moan' about a manager who won multiple leagues or 'moan' about players abilities when most on here aren't good enough to play for your local pub....as clearly Mou and the players 'opinions' and actual abilities have far more creditably than your 'moaning' too....

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Why do wingers need to be muscle bound freaks exactly?

There's plenty out there who are slight/skinny. Di Maria is a similar body frame and he does just fine.

Is Jose seriously saying Mata is physical enough and Chong isn't? not having that.

IMO with the u23's being a league lower this year, Chong should be with the first team. He'd make a great impact sub in a lot of matches, he's going to get more experience playing against proper mens football than the 2nd rate fullbacks in the ressies.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Like I said, let's not turn this into size of penis's and if you and others follow your own logic, don't 'moan' about a manager who won multiple leagues or 'moan' about players abilities when most on here aren't good enough to play for your local pub....as clearly Mou and the players 'opinions' and actual abilities have far more creditably than your 'moaning' too....
It's not 'whose dick is bigger' argument, it's like you were trying to argue with a cardiologist about heart-related illnesses and telling him that his opinion isn't worth more because it's a public forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.