4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

FromTheBench

Hmm Jose not gonna use him much it seems.

He puts too much emphasis on physical preparedness almost always.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
To be fair to Jose, his body does look like it's just had a massive growth spurt. No muscle. Doesn't scream PL-ready to me either. If he works on that and gets some cup games this year I think he could be ready next year. And let's be honest. Do you really want to throw a kid like him in the deep-end and trust him to win us the Prem? That wouldn't be fair to him at all, as there's a massive chance of him collapsing under that pressure.
Yeah, it makes sense to allow him to grow physically before throwing him in the games. He didn't look strong and PL this season might be too early for him.

lysglimt

Scout
To be fair to Jose, his body does look like it's just had a massive growth spurt. No muscle. Doesn't scream PL-ready to me either. If he works on that and gets some cup games this year I think he could be ready next year. And let's be honest. Do you really want to throw a kid like him in the deep-end and trust him to win us the Prem? That wouldn't be fair to him at all, as there's a massive chance of him collapsing under that pressure.
No - but I wouldn't mind putting him on in matches where the opponent is tired and we need a goal - because he can beat players, and he can get those crosses in - probably better than most players in our first-team. But would I want him to play against a very physical side...no I agree with Jose there

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
True. But you just know LVG would throw in him in at the deep end if he was still here. For all his faults trust in young players and getting top performances out of them wasn't one of those.
Because we don't have a RW he should definitely be part of the first team squad even coming off the bench at least. But if you don't have 'physical presence' it's difficult to play which is daft imo because RW is one of the positions that doesn't require being physical.
exactly, he doesnt need that, that much, in some situations it can help but mostly, his trickery and pace should overcome that easily, he also covers ball very well, so he will draw a lot of fouls too

Kostur

海尔的老板
True. But you just know LVG would throw in him in at the deep end if he was still here. For all his faults trust in young players and getting top performances out of them wasn't one of those.
Because we don't have a RW he should definitely be part of the first team squad even coming off the bench at least. But if you don't have 'physical presence' it's difficult to play which is daft imo because RW is one of the positions that doesn't require being physical.
Yeah apart from being shouldered off by any defender in the league. With his height he's very lean, Crouch like, Jose is right in his assessment here.

Very bright cameo, brought much both offensively and defensively, pretty sure Mou will like him.

FromTheBench

When Januzaj was thrown in into the first team by Moyes he was even more frail and struggling to hold the ball up than Chong who draws fouls better.

Rashford also wasnt built that well initially. But both fared and made a impact.

No one is saying Chong should be made starter but when there is a gaping hole at right wing he should atleast be more involved than couple of cup games and 25 minutes in friendlies.

Poor Angel gomes then seems to be having no chance under Jose.

Hmm Jose not gonna use him much it seems.

He puts too much emphasis on physical preparedness almost always.
Not really. Chong would get snapped in two by certain PL teams if he was named as a starter. They would target him. He's much better as a surprise sub or for the occasional cup game until he gets used to the pace and physicality of the first team game.

ti vu

When Januzaj was thrown in into the first team by Moyes he was even more frail and struggling to hold the ball up than Chong who draws fouls better.

Rashford also wasnt built that well initially. But both fared and made a impact.

No one is saying Chong should be made starter but when there is a gaping hole at right wing he should atleast be more involved than couple of cup games and 25 minutes in friendlies.

Both cases, it's last resort and the managers of those years ended up losing their jobs.

Position wise we were not bad last season and you can see how negative people could be. Look at some reaction after a pre season game and see the expectation from the fan. At the end of the day, result is all and end.

Gomes made first team debut last season!

FromTheBench

Both cases, it's last resort and the managers of those years ended up losing their jobs.

Position wise we were not bad last season and you can see how negative people could be. Look at some reaction after a pre season game and see the expectation from the fan. At the end of the day, result is all and end.
They were last resorts yes and maybe used more than they shouls have but would have also been absurd if they had been used just for a couple of cup games maybe.

ti vu

They were last resorts yes and maybe used more than they shouls have but would have also been absurd if they had been used just for a couple of cup games maybe.
With the full squad back, we have some one like Rashford who needs further development. So of course Chong would be behind in pending order. The way you put it, it's like every time we have a young promising players, we should stop develop young first team players to fast track the new guys development.

What being said is that if the first team doing well and capable carrying few young players, the like of Chong would get more minutes. Thing is there is no expectation because the first team has problem of their own in term of development.

Edit: Januzaj of his break through season under Moyes had glaring weakness that he couldn't turn when having a marker breathing at his neck. It has stayed this way for like until past couple seasons. People love dribbling wiz running at defenders, but not always noticing weakness that opposition used to negate our team. Similarly for Chong good outing, there was not go unnoticed in at least 2 occasions he was outmuscled easily. PL physicality can be much much tougher. Some borderline rugby tackle at the time even. Remember those foul on McTominay last season (clearly being targeted to get him out of the game)? Rashford had a fair share (Brunt one is memorable)

I mean he is likely to stay relatively tiny now. And jose seems to place more relevance generally on physical build than many other mnagers.
Coping with physical is different from physical build.

Gomes already made first team debut last season.

Last edited:

Steven Seagull

I mean he is likely to stay relatively tiny now. And jose seems to place more relevance generally on physical build than many other mnagers.
Well like Chong it’s not about being massive it’s about being fully developed. If you put under developed teenagers on a pitch with fully grown adults you are asking for problems. That’s literally why we have age groups.

Great quotes on Chongs attitude though, definitely an exciting one for the future

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Mourinho does my head in! What happened to ‘if you’re good enough you’re old enough’. Mou is already getting his excuses in for when he invariably never plays him again next season. Never seen another manager prioritise the physical side of football more than Mourinho, he literally will pick average cloggers like McTomminay purely based on height because let’s be honest it’s not on his technical ability.

Chong is probably not ready for week in week out action but he’s a better option that most on that RW. Just makes you wonder how someone like Mbappe would have faired under Mourinho because he’s not fully physically developed either.

TrustInJanuzaj

Mourinho does my head in! What happened to ‘if you’re good enough you’re old enough’. Mou is already getting his excuses in for when he invariably never plays him again next season. Never seen another manager prioritise the physical side of football more than Mourinho, he literally will pick average cloggers like McTomminay purely based on height because let’s be honest it’s not on his technical ability.

Chong is probably not ready for week in week out action but he’s a better option that most on that RW. Just makes you wonder how someone like Mbappe would have faired under Mourinho because he’s not fully physically developed either.

Kostur

海尔的老板

Yeah have a go at McTominay in the process because you care so much about our youth. Nevermind how many try to twist what is a praise from the manager against him.

This place is a fecking mess. The amount of idiots I've recently put on ignore is slowly building into hundreds.

Steven Seagull

Jesus Christ. You’ve agreed with what Mourinho said and still managed to complain. Give it a rest

Nick7

The same Jose that bought a player not much taller than Gomes for £50m?

TrustInJanuzaj

Jesus Christ. You’ve agreed with what Mourinho said and still managed to complain. Give it a rest
There’s a massive difference between being given some chances which Chong is very capable of and giving him none. Until I see otherwise from Mourinho I don’t think for one second we will see him give Chong a fair chance this year.

TrustInJanuzaj

Take a moment and look at your username.
I would back the talent of a player like Januzaj every day over someone who doesn’t even possess the talent to be a Utd player. It’s not my fault that Januzaj didn’t apply that talent.

Member 90887

People really are extreme moaners.

He did not say he is not his type of players. well, here's the full comment and READ people, READ before you comment and before getting the pitchforks.

"The action for the cross for the goal is a beautiful action. He was enthusiastic, he was confident to play.

"Of course physically he has his limitations, and when he has one more touch and he allows that body contact of course he loses it, but when he makes the ball move and attacks people one against one, he has quality. He's a good kid."
Notice the bolded part, where there's a but. it looks to me like he is saying exactly what he wants from hom which is not getting a touch too much, because as he says, he'll lose the ball because he's not physically strong right now. Instead, he wants him to move the ball quickly and attack people, he has quality there and he should use it.

Nick7

I would back the talent of a player like Januzaj every day over someone who doesn’t even possess the talent to be a Utd player. It’s not my fault that Januzaj didn’t apply that talent.
Yeah I don't think I'll take your word for it when it comes to appraising young players.

TrustInJanuzaj

Yeah I don't think I'll take your word for it when it comes to appraising young players.
That’s fine Nick i don’t blame you because on Januzaj he didn’t develop like i or many others thought he would. Having said that I have coached for years I know I can spot talent, but that’s only one part of the equation, like I said Januzaj was never let down by his ability.

Litch

Watched him at U18 and U23 so wasn't surprised. I think he's the real deal and whilst it's easy to see the skills and pace, what I've seen so far at Utd is his decision making, work rate and even his defensive work. The lad does these things naturally as part of his game. What I also like is he can come into the centre and link up the play and keep it simple. He put to shame more experienced Man Utd players last night.....

Steven Seagull

There’s a massive difference between being given some chances which Chong is very capable of and giving him none. Until I see otherwise from Mourinho I don’t think for one second we will see him give Chong a fair chance this year.
But he’s just explained why he might not play every week. Because he’s still physically developing. Are you still going to stamp your feet even though he’s clearly outlined a plan to develop him in a patient and sensible manner?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's obviously not ready to start every game week in week out, by he really should be involved on the bench in some matches.

That pace / dribbling is something we sorely lack.

Litch

Let's be glad Giggs arrived in the era he did otherwise he'd have got no where near the first team too. Not sure what's happened to this club and like our football, it's become cautious and boring.

AKDevil

The intensity and aggressiveness which he does things with made a big difference and I like, such as the pass he tried to put through to Shaw. It had a zip about it. When he gets on the ball the game seems to be going at a much quicker pace. Compare it to when Mata plays that position everything still feels like it’s happening in slow motion.

Ban

Panic here.. Jose praised him but said he needs to bulk up. Hardly scandalous.

NotQuiteManc

IMHO, it is more managing expectations/hype/pressure on the boy's shoulders. A good example, like you have mentioned in Januzaj. A bright young talent, thrown into the deep end by, in hindsight, clueless manager hoping to give some sparks to the team at the time. Januzaj, like some of the coaches and managers have said, didn't do as much work as he did when he was younger. Change of attitude? Believing his own hype? Who knows, but the fact is he was struggling to give any kind of consistent of positive impact for any team he played before moving to Spain. Having said that, I am still hoping he has realised his mistakes, and willing to work his way up again, and hopefully return to Old Trafford as a worthy player to wear the shirt again.

I am sure Jose is well aware of the kind of hype, and expectations can do to young players. That's why I think a supposed "near-retirement" players like Perisic would be ideal to cover the RW and LW, and give time for players like Chong to grow and perhaps learn from players like Perisic - attacking players that two-footed, works hard, and persistent.

0le

Even SAF didn't rush kids. The last time any teenager played week in week out at this club was Rooney and he was a freak of nature. Give it time.

Frank Grimes

I happen to agree with Mourinho that he is a bit weak at the present time. He does have a great attitude though and if he can progress like he did in the last year (especially considering he just came back from such a serious injury) we could have a gem on our hands. Love his hard work and willingness to get on the ball and make things happen.

meamth

Yeah, it makes sense to allow him to grow physically before throwing him in the games. He didn't look strong and PL this season might be too early for him.
Even pereira who is shorter at 177cm is much more filled out and looks ready for PL level physicality.

Chong has long way to go, and he needs lot of work to fulfill that frame.

Frank Grimes

Let's be glad Giggs arrived in the era he did otherwise he'd have got no where near the first team too. Not sure what's happened to this club and like our football, it's become cautious and boring.
Giggs was stronger than he looked, he also had electric pace. He was certainly quicker than Chong, who is no slouch. Young Giggs had freakish talent tbf.

Status
Not open for further replies.