Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Matic - Pogba
Bale - Talisca - Sanchez
Lukaku

I like the look of that a lot

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I don't fully undertsand why we're still linked to him after buying Fred.
I get that he can figure as a attacking midfielder and be a backup for Pogba, a #10 if we choose to go that way or at a stretch he can play as a striker, so he wouldn't be a bad purchase, but do we intend to buy him so he can take someone's place in the squad? I can't see him starting now that we bought Fred to play in a trio with Matic & Pogba.

Say we in a no-injury world have a midfield and front-line consisting of:
Lukaku
LW in form - RW makeshift
Pogba - Fred
Matic
We'll have Mata, Lingard, Sanchez, Rashford & Martial for those two wide positions and if we go for a 4-2-3-1 we'll have Pogba, Lingard, Sanchez & Mata for that #10 position.
To me he looks to be replacing someone for a rotation/backup spot. Lingard & Rashford is a local, Martial is supremely talented, Sanchez is staying since he's a new buy and that leaves Mata. But there has been no rumors around Mata from what I've seen?

Oh, and despite rumors of Martial leaving there seems to be nothing congrete in that from what I've seen, we've had people in Di Marzio's camp saying he's staying put if anything.
I'd prefer it if we got rid of Mata and signed a proper right-winger instead of a player in the position Talisca reportedly plays, almost regardless of his abilities just based on what I think the club currently needs.

Anyone who has watched him who could see him work on the right-wing or can make sense of buying him as the squad currently looks?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I get that he can figure as a attacking midfielder and be a backup for Pogba, a #10 if we choose to go that way or at a stretch he can play as a striker, so he wouldn't be a bad purchase, but do we intend to buy him so he can take someone's place in the squad? I can't see him starting now that we bought Fred to play in a trio with Matic & Pogba.

Lukaku
Pogba - Fred
Matic
We'll have Mata, Lingard, Sanchez, Rashford & Martial for those two wide positions and if we go for a 4-2-3-1 we'll have Pogba, Lingard, Sanchez & Mata for that #10 position.
To me he looks to be replacing someone for a rotation/backup spot. Lingard & Rashford is a local, Martial is supremely talented, Sanchez is staying since he's a new buy and that leaves Mata. But there has been no rumors around Mata from what I've seen?

Oh, and despite rumors of Martial leaving there seems to be nothing congrete in that from what I've seen, we've had people in Di Marzio's camp saying he's staying put if anything.
I'd prefer it if we got rid of Mata and signed a proper right-winger instead of a player in the position Talisca reportedly plays, almost regardless of his abilities just based on what I think the club currently needs.

Anyone who has watched him who could see him work on the right-wing or can make sense of buying him as the squad currently looks?
More goal scoring threat than Mata imho. Quicker and better in the air. I’d see him as a super sub type who can also fill in for Lukaku

EyeInTheSky

More goal scoring threat than Mata imho. Quicker and better in the air. I’d see him as a super sub type who can also fill in for Lukaku
True. But I just can't see him being a target. Nothing special from what I have seen when watching him/Besiktas. But if(big if) we are actually interested then I would have to bow to Jose and the scouring systems knowledge.

Smores

Lukaku
Pogba - Fred
Matic

Surely he'd be Fellaini's replacement? Gives us another option in the squad. Besides we don't really have a goalscoring number 10 so he'd be useful in certain games.

We won't play 433 in every game and need the ability to mix it up.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Lukaku
Pogba - Fred
Matic

Being linked with a player doesn't mean that the club is actually after the player and no one outside of Mourinho has a clear idea about how the team will set up.

EyeInTheSky

Being linked with a player doesn't mean that the club is actually after the player and no one outside of Mourinho has a clear idea about how the team will set up.
yes true. I used to assume that when people talked about it as if it had happened was just hypothetical. But now I can see some believe everything they read or use it as an excuse to have a go at someone or other, usually the club.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Surely he'd be Fellaini's replacement? Gives us another option in the squad. Besides we don't really have a goalscoring number 10 so he'd be useful in certain games.

We won't play 433 in every game and need the ability to mix it up.
Probably, but a goal-scoring threat surely would be better aquired from out-wide with the squad being weak on our right side?
I'm still surprised we're not linked with Mahrez or someone else on the right (unless I've missed something).
Gave some thought after my post that he could be a Fellaini replacement. But would it be right to spend on such a role when we still "need" a right-winger, left-back & CB? A lot have asked for a second midfielder and me amongst those, but it tend to be a backup for Matic...

Yeah. I'm just trying to find out if there is even a point in these links. If they are going to make shit up then they might as well make stuff up that makes sense. :lol:

SirAF

Ageist
Yeah. I'm just trying to find out if there is even a point in these links. If they are going to make shit up then they might as well make stuff up that makes sense. :lol:
The world of football journalism :D The most cushy job of all time.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
They are desperate to sell him to some Chinese club and they are lying their ass off using the United's name to inflate his value.

Craig Ward

Matic - Pogba
Bale - Talisca - Sanchez
Lukaku

I like the look of that a lot

Pogba has proved to be a liability for the team when he plays in a 2 unfortunately.

Pogba would go missing and our midfield would be walked through again with this team

Nick7

Pogba has proved to be a liability for the team when he plays in a 2 unfortunately.

Pogba would go missing and our midfield would be walked through again with this team
Bizarre revision of history. He has not been a liability.

Craig Ward

Bizarre revision of history. He has not been a liability.
How is it bizarre? Its fact.

Pogba does not do well in a midfield 2. he drifts off, doesn't track his markers and matic is left exposed.

Did you miss the whole "lets play 4-3-3 to get the best out of pogba"?

Recall the spurs game? We would have been better with 10 men than with Pogba ambling round the middle of the park doing nothing

Nick7

Pogba does not do well in a midfield 2. he drifts off, doesn't track his markers and matic is left exposed.

Recall the spurs game? We would have been better with 10 men than with Pogba ambling round the middle of the park doing nothing
Pogba is better in a three man midfield. Pogba is not a liability in a two man midfield.

Craig Ward

Pogba is better in a three man midfield. Pogba is not a liability in a two man midfield.
He's proven time and time again his performance levels drop in a 2.

He cannot follow Jose's instructions or perform at a level required in a 2. I'd call that a liability.

If it was Herrera, or fellaini you'd probably agree. fact is people don't like slating pogba.

Nick7

He's proven time and time again his performance levels drop in a 2.

He cannot follow Jose's instructions or perform at a level required in a 2. I'd call that a liability.

If it was Herrera, or fellaini you'd probably agree. fact is people don't like slating pogba.
I like Herrera and Fellaini, so leave your agenda at the door. Pogba is not a liability in a midfield 2. If he was a liability we would have done a lot worse the season just gone.

Craig Ward

I like Herrera and Fellaini, so leave your agenda at the door. Pogba is not a liability in a midfield 2. If he was a liability we would have done a lot worse the season just gone.
No agenda from me pal.

Just calling it how I see it.

On topic - Talisca would be a good #10 for us but cant see it due to high price and the chances are we'll play mostly with a 4-3-3 which wont suit him. He's not a natural CM and wont be much good out wide. No credible links either

Nick7

No agenda from me pal.

On topic - Talisca would be a good #10 for us but cant see it due to high price and the chances are we'll play mostly with a 4-3-3 which wont suit him. He's not a natural CM and wont be much good out wide. No credible links either
You clearly do since you have preconceived ideas that people "defending", I'd struggle to call what I said defending but whatever, Pogba, don't like Herrera or Fellaini.

yo@Kirk

I think Mourinho would see Talisca as a better version of Fellaini's role in United's attack. If Mourinho wants that role in his attack, it would make sense to get a more skilled and athletic player like Talisca to fill it.

Smores

He's a liability in the defensive sense as his positioning and concentration aren't up to standard. Teams ended up 6 vs 5 against us at times.

Can't have that when our widemen don't want to track back either.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
He's a liability in the defensive sense as his positioning and concentration aren't up to standard. Teams ended up 6 vs 5 against us at times.

Can't have that when our widemen don't want to track back either.
That was simply because he was our only midfielder with any attacking ability after Mhiki left. So he was always caught in between supporting Matic and pushing up into the box to make things happen in the final third. Yet earlier in the season, before the 3 months lay off, and before Mhkitaryan's form fell through the floor, Pogba was excellent in the double pivot. Only breaking forward to wreck havoc when there was no trouble to Matic

Cliche Guevara

No agenda from me pal.

To be fair, just calling it like the almost season long echo-chamber myth. I thought we’d finally got over that when his performances in a three were eventually worse than in a two.

Pogba had a good first half of the season in a midfield two. Once the rest of the team is sorted and we’re at full strength he can play anywhere in midfield.

Last edited:

RoLo

I don't fully undertsand why we're still linked to him after buying Fred
I think he's on our shortlist for a backup striker along with Arnautovic and Mandzukic. Don't think it's a high priority transfer for us though.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Pogba is inconsistent in a two man midfield. That's a long way from straight up being a liability. Some days, yeah he's close to that. Other days he's the best player on the park.

So far he's also been inconsistent in a three man midfield, but we haven't really had the players to play it properly. As such when we have the ball he's pretty much still having to come deep to pick up the ball and try to control the team around himself. Hopefully Fred will change that.

Social Madworks

Lukaku
Pogba - Fred
Matic

We lost Carrick, 188cm, and losing Fellaini, 194cm. That is 382cm in total. We get in Fred, 169cm. For sure Mourinho wants to bring some height factor back. This guy is 191cm. Now you see why?

We need an rvn

We lost Carrick, 188cm, and losing Fellaini, 194cm. That is 382cm in total. We get in Fred, 169cm. For sure Mourinho wants to bring some height factor back. This guy is 191cm. Now you see why?
We've got matic, pogba, McTom if you're worried about that. What we need is quality and not worry about the average height in the team imo

Bestietom

If Fellaini leaves ( and I think this will happen) I can see Talisca being the one to come in. Mourinho will want to strengthen elsewhere without going over budget.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
We've got matic, pogba, McTom if you're worried about that. What we need is quality and not worry about the average height in the team imo
It's meant as a pathetic dig at Jose. Nothing new.
He might replace Fellaini as a attacking alternative within the squad, but it's not because of his height. :lol:

MUFC OK

This has been rumoured for a while and just wont seem to go away. It's either a smokescreen, for god knows who, or more likely we have it on the back burner, possibly if Fellaini leaves.

I have a feeling we will sign him and that ironically he will be a Marmite player similarly to Fellaini. Fans, my self included will be underwhelmed with this signing for a number of reasons, mainly because we have other areas of the squad we should be prioritising and due to the fact he's a relative unknown.

If it happens, we will have to accept it and we can put to bed rumours about SMS and Arnautovic. I'm going out on a whim and saying this will happen.

Bestietom

This has been rumoured for a while and just wont seem to go away. It's either a smokescreen, for god knows who, or more likely we have it on the back burner, possibly if Fellaini leaves.

I have a feeling we will sign him and that ironically he will be a Marmite player similarly to Fellaini. Fans, my self included will be underwhelmed with this signing for a number of reasons, mainly because we have other areas of the squad we should be prioritising and due to the fact he's a relative unknown.

If it happens, we will have to accept it and we can put to bed rumours about SMS and Arnautovic. I'm going out on a whim and saying this will happen.
I am of the same opinion as he can play wide right and central. He could turn out to be a better buy than Arnautovic or Mandukic.