g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Tanguy Ndombele | Signed For Spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah, it's just a fantasy story made up by Spurs fans.
I haven't seen it put forward by anyone but Glaston. Pretty much every Spurs fan I know accepts it was probably just Chelsea coming in with more money on the table as a team who were clearly superior to us at the time. It was hardly a big surprise that they won once they got involved.

Maybe Glaston is right and Roman got involved, but it would hardly require gangster stuff for Willian to have chosen Chelsea over us back then.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Hate to piss all over your lovely made up story, but he was at Shaktar and they are Ukrainian.
He wasn't - he was at Anzhi Makhachkala - a Russian club. This was an odd club to move to from Shaktar to begin with - and he was only there 7 months before coming to England.

Jericholyte2

So the story from L'Equipe is Spurs have agreed a £55m package for this guy, with personal details to be confirmed, and that United and Juventus had agreed personal terms but no fee. As per the tweet we should surely be in for him now at £55m as that would be a steal!

Unless of course we're only being used for more click bait.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
So the story from L'Equipe is Spurs have agreed a £55m package for this guy, with personal details to be confirmed, and that United and Juventus had agreed personal terms but no fee. As per the tweet we should surely be in for him now at £55m as that would be a steal!

Unless of course we're only being used for more click bait.
We are. I'm fairly sure neither us nor Juventus have an interest in him

Andersons Dietician

55mil seems awful cheap for him in this market. It’s actually a steal. For the life of me I can’t figure out why it doesn’t seem like there is much interest from United in him as he’d be perfect for us.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Just speculation on my part, but what if we've agreed terms with the player, as reported, and let Spurs agree/set the fee as we know they'd inflate the price if we went in first? Now we match their bid and a deal is done.

It'd be the smartest deal Woodward has made. Completely wishful thinking on my part, but that's what I'd do in our situation.

Hawks2008

Utter Incompetence not to go for him at that price, you will not find a better deal this window. If only he was English, then Ole would be all over him.

deafepl

Why do I get feeling we are going to gazumping Spurs's deal for Ndombele considering they haven't had a personal agreement with him?. We have a personal agreement with Ndombele but waiting for Pogba situation to be sorted out first, it won't affect if he decides to stay.

It looks like we were deciding which Ndombele or Tielmanns are better for us.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
They can have Bailly and Rojo too if we get him from them. Get it done.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Why do I get feeling we are going to gazumping Spurs's deal for Ndombele considering they haven't had a personal agreement with him?. We have a personal agreement with Ndombele but waiting for Pogba situation to be sorted out first, it won't affect if he decides to stay.

It looks like we were deciding which Ndombele or Tielmanns are better for us.
I hear he really, really wants to play in the Europa League.

SambaBoy

Can't see Juventus in for him considering they have signed Rabiot and Ramsey on free transfers this summer unless they seriously want to revamp their CM this season. Still got Pjanic, Bentancur, Maitudi, Khedira and Can as well.

Hopefully the rumours of us being in for him are true but they aren't coming for any serious source and I expect Spurs to wrap up the transfer in the next week or so.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Or no ambition to win anything in his life.
If trophies are his short term goal then he should wait for a Juve or a City to pick him up.

Personally at the age of 22 I think he'll probably just want to develop his career in a stable team under a good coach with a reputation for developing young players, whilst experiencing consistent top level European football. If we're not winning trophies in the next few years or so and that's a big deal for him then sure, move on like Modric, Bale, Walker etc, we're a good platform for that too.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If trophies are his short term goal then he should wait for a Juve or a City to pick him up.

Personally at the age of 22 I think he'll probably just want to develop his career in a stable team under a good coach with a reputation for developing young players, whilst experiencing consistent top level European football. If we're not winning trophies in the next few years or so and that's a big deal for him then sure, move on like Modric, Bale, Walker etc, we're a good platform for that too.
He can do all that by staying at Lyon.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
He can do all that by staying at Lyon.
We're more likely to go deep in to the CL Lyon. We just got to the final, I imagine that fact is on his mind.

That and obviously he'll get a significant wage hike and will get to prove himself in the Premier League.

roonster09

Scout
We're more likely to go deep in to the CL Lyon. We just got to the final, I imagine that fact is on his mind.

That and obviously he'll get a significant wage hike and will get to prove himself in the Premier League.
Finally you got the point.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Finally you got the point.
When did I not? Player in wanting bigger wages shocker?

That doesn't make it the only factor, sure he'd get more money at United than at Spurs, but he will also know that United of recent years are unstable and can't guarantee opportunities to play in the CL. It's not a great platform for any player to show what they can do, fellow French talents in Martial and Pogba aren't exactly thriving. Ndombele (if he's well advised) will be weighing up more money in the short term vs long term career development.

We're an attractive step up to players in that age bracket who aren't quite ready for an elite club yet but know that we can provide the opportunity to shine on the biggest stages.

roonster09

Scout
When did I not? Player in wanting bigger wages shocker?

That doesn't make it the only factor, sure he'd get more money at United than at Spurs, but he will also know that United of recent years are unstable and can't guarantee opportunities to play in the CL. It's not a great platform for any player to show what they can do, fellow French talents in Martial and Pogba aren't exactly thriving. Ndombele (if he's well advised) will be weighing up more money in the short term vs long term career development.

We're an attractive step up to players in that age bracket who aren't quite ready for an elite club yet but know that we can provide the opportunity to shine on the biggest stages.
We played in CL last 2 seasons. Before last season Spurs won 1 knock out tie in Europe in God knows how many years. Just because you made finals last season doesn't mean Spurs will have deeper run regularly. It happened once. Not long ago you were dumped from CL and then from Europa.

Ndombele will also see how few players from Frnech league were sent back packing after 1 season. If he has at least decent memory he will also know how Modric accused Levy of breaking gentlemen agreement when he blocked his move. Spurs are not Ajax who makes it easy for players to move. If they sign him for 60 million then they will ask record breaking amount for him, unless he runs down his contract.

Any player worth his salt will back his ability to shine in any team. You are building narrative from Spurs fan's perspective.

Last edited:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
We played in CL last 2 seasons. Before last season Spurs won 1 knock out tie in Europe in God knowa how many years. Just because you made finals last season doesn't mean Spurs will have deeper run regularly. It happened once. Not long ago you were dumped from CL and then from Europa.

Ndombele will also see how few players from Frnech league were sent back packing after 1 season. If he has at least decent memory he will also know how Modric accused Levy of breaking gentlemen agreement when he blocked his move. Spurs are not Ajax who makes it easy for players to move. If they sign him for 60 million then they will ask record breaking amount for him, unless he runs down his contract.

Any player worth his salt will back his ability to shine in any team. You are building narrative from Spurs fan's perspective.
The season before we topped a group ahead of Real Madrid and then were narrowly beaten by Juventus. We're a solid European side and a team doesn't very regularly reach a final and then just disappear .. we've also qualified far more regularly for the CL than United have in the last five years or so, again stability is key. We're more likely to make Europe this season again, and I doubt Ndombele will want to be playing 2 seasons in a row of Europa League.

Do we make it 'easy' ? No. But plenty of players have gone on to do very well and win trophies after proving themselves here, and it's a great platform to do so. And players from the French league have actually very regularly been a great success.

I'm building a narrative from a logical perspective. Go ask most neutral fans who currently provide a better environment for a young player out of Spurs or United. You're hiring new managers every other year, you're not in the CL regularly, you can't decide on a style of play and your fans have huge expectations to go with all of that. Ole is no guarantee that this will change, so a sensible young player who is thinking of his longer term career will take that in to account, of course he will.

Obviously United have other draws - much bigger club, more money etc .. but that doesn't necessarily attract every player. We're a pretty good option right now and from a purely footballing perspective just a better, more stable team than United are. I think it's pure folly to just assume every player would choose you over us, because players are all motivated by a wide range of factors. You'd blow us out of the water for players with a different kind of profile (like Di Maria, Sanchez, Falcao etc) but for younger talents we can compete. It's just slightly amusing when United fans say 'we should have got him!' as if it's simply nailed on that if you got involved he's yours. Under Fergie? 100%, but not now.

roonster09

Scout
The season before we topped a group ahead of Real Madrid and then were narrowly beaten by Juventus. We're a solid European side and a team doesn't very regularly reach a final and then just disappear .. we've also qualified far more regularly for the CL than United have in the last five years or so, again stability is key. We're more likely to make Europe this season again, and I doubt Ndombele will want to be playing 2 seasons in a row of Europa League.
"team doesn't very regularly reach a final and then just disappear" What?
Also didnt know next season results are out so early, looks like we have baby Glaston here.

Do we make it 'easy' ? No. But plenty of players have gone on to do very well and win trophies after proving themselves here, and it's a great platform to do so. And players from the French league have actually very regularly been a great success.

I'm building a narrative from a logical perspective. Go ask most neutral fans who currently provide a better environment for a young player out of Spurs or United. You're hiring new managers every other year, you're not in the CL regularly, you can't decide on a style of play and your fans have huge expectations to go with all of that. Ole is no guarantee that this will change, so a sensible young player who is thinking of his longer term career will take that in to account, of course he will.
First thing, I didn't say ManUtd are in better position than Spurs, second is your lame post about Europa league when there are so many factors that are considered before making any decision. Also you ask any neutral fan, they will say signing for Spurs means player has given up on winning anything in his career. No player makes a decision based on next season alone.

And no players don't have same mentality as Spurs fans where they think "well yeah, doesn't matter if I don't win anything, doesn't matter if I'm paid less, I will just develop my game from 22-26 and then will try to force a transfer after winning feck all and making less money and in the process make a token appearance in CL". That's even forgetting how hard it's for players to move from Spurs.

Obviously United have other draws - much bigger club, more money etc .. but that doesn't necessarily attract every player. We're a pretty good option right now and from a purely footballing perspective just a better, more stable team than United are. I think it's pure folly to just assume every player would choose you over us, because players are all motivated by a wide range of factors. You'd blow us out of the water for players with a different kind of profile (like Di Maria, Sanchez, Falcao etc) but for younger talents we can compete. It's just slightly amusing when United fans say 'we should have got him!' as if it's simply nailed on that if you got involved he's yours. Under Fergie? 100%, but not now.
There are more than just bigger club and more money. There are factors like how highly player is rated which reflects in the contract that is offered and how the future of the club is sold. Just 2 seasons ago Liverpool were not in CL, Spurs were dumped to Europa and were embarrassed by Gent/Genk and Chelsea were run away PL winners. Things change quickly in football.

I don't know how many players would choose ManUtd over Spurs but in a ManUtd forum with 1000s of ManUtd fans its not surprising to see few go with "we should have signed him". What's hilarious and equally pathetic is your lame attempt to become a baby Glaston with "yeah he dreamed of playing in Europa" "2 seasons in a row playing in Europa". It's not as if you have improved like Liverpool, ffs you were one Inter feck up away from dropping to Europa league and a huge feck up by Jose to finish top 4. It's not as if Spurs are way ahead, at the moment Liverpool and City are at much higher level and then the next 4 teams are close to each other.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Gangster intervention :lol: ...
It's a story that is out there. How true it is impossible to say for sure, but the power of oligarch gangsters in Russia is not some children's fable - it's reality.

Willian was under contract to a Russian club at the time and both they and he were about to conclude a deal with Spurs. And then at literally the very last moment - after he had completed a medical - it's all change and he suddenly signs for a club owned by another Russian oligarch.

The Guardian reported that Spurs had the perception that Willian had no say in the abrupt change.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Please send Bailly to Lyon and get Ndombele in exchange

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Apparently we "have no room in the squad" for another midfielder....
Which raises the question of why Mata was given a contract extension, and why are we going to continue to persist with Matic, Perreira & Fred.

We really have to be far more clinical in shifting some of these underperformers.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Apparently we "have no room in the squad" for another midfielder....
Which raises the question of why Mata was given a contract extension, and why are we going to continue to persist with Matic, Perreira & Fred.

We really have to be far more clinical in shifting some of these underperformers.
Where have you read that? I said that the biggest sign we won't sign a good few players is that we have a full squad and aren't moving any on/offering them new deals.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
It's way too late for this now I'd imagine.
Not saying you're wrong, but I hear this type of things mentioned quite often, but I never quite understood why. In my mind if another club wants to match or pay more, surely it's not too late until the deal is done? Similar point I often read is how one club is ahead of another in the race for x. What makes a transfer signing a race?

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Where have you read that? I said that the biggest sign we won't sign a good few players is that we have a full squad and aren't moving any on/offering them new deals.
The 22-year-old is said to be impressed by Spurs’ vision but has not yet put pen to paper. “That leaves the door open for United to attempt a last-ditch hijack for the 22-year-old,” says the paper. “United have held talks with Lyon, but feel there is no room currently in their squad for Ndombele with Paul Pogba still on the books at the club. Were Pogba to leave, and free up the wage bill, United would be more likely to push ahead with their pursuit of Ndombele.”
From the Independent Online.

Apart from the questions about Mata & Matic that I already mentioned, there is also the question of why bother to hold talks with Lyon, if you have no room for the player anyway..?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
"team doesn't very regularly reach a final and then just disappear" What?
Also didnt know next season results are out so early, looks like we have baby Glaston here.

First thing, I didn't say ManUtd are in better position than Spurs, second is your lame post about Europa league when there are so many factors that are considered before making any decision. Also you ask any neutral fan, they will say signing for Spurs means player has given up on winning anything in his career. No player makes a decision based on next season alone.

And no players don't have same mentality as Spurs fans where they think "well yeah, doesn't matter if I don't win anything, doesn't matter if I'm paid less, I will just develop my game from 22-26 and then will try to force a transfer after winning feck all and making less money and in the process make a token appearance in CL". That's even forgetting how hard it's for players to move from Spurs.

There are more than just bigger club and more money. There are factors like how highly player is rated which reflects in the contract that is offered and how the future of the club is sold. Just 2 seasons ago Liverpool were not in CL, Spurs were dumped to Europa and were embarrassed by Gent/Genk and Chelsea were run away PL winners. Things change quickly in football.

I don't know how many players would choose ManUtd over Spurs but in a ManUtd forum with 1000s of ManUtd fans its not surprising to see few go with "we should have signed him". What's hilarious and equally pathetic is your lame attempt to become a baby Glaston with "yeah he dreamed of playing in Europa" "2 seasons in a row playing in Europa". It's not as if you have improved like Liverpool, ffs you were one Inter feck up away from dropping to Europa league and a huge feck up by Jose to finish top 4. It's not as if Spurs are way ahead, at the moment Liverpool and City are at much higher level and then the next 4 teams are close to each other.
Urgh, the 'baby glaston' comments whenever a Spurs fan says almost anything positive towards Spurs/negative towards United are so, so dull. We're in a better position to qualify for the CL than you next season, the last 5 years or so have showed we're in a more stable position and qualify for Europe year after year, something United simply have not done. Say what you want about winning stuff but Spurs getting in to the CL is a very safe bet based on recent history, United are not. A player can make a decision based on the recent history of a club - we've been finishing 2nd/3rd/4th, you've been finishing 2nd then dropping to 6th, rising to 4th, then back to 6th etc.

I mean, players probably think they have a better chance of winning a top trophy at Spurs than they do at United. Maybe the league cup/EL is a bigger possibility with you, but I doubt players have the same attitude as fans where they're going 'haha they Spurs'd it!' or 'klopp is a bottler!', I imagine they actually just weigh up the strength of sides/their coaches. We've competed better for the top trophies than United have in the last 5 years without winning them, United don't look well placed to go on for a league/cl at all.

We finished 2nd that year. Had a bad European campaign but then qualified once again (consistency) and improved, and then improved this year again in Europe. Again, safer bet to guarantee CL football.

People are literally saying 'oh we should have stolen him!' as if it's a guarantee when it isn't, it's an arrogant approach based on your current situation as a club. The only one being a baby is you with your ultra sensitive need to shout glaston over an innocuous, light hearted comment about the Europa League. If people are going to say you can just take players we target away from us, there's going to be some slight push back against that from Spurs fans.

Uh, but Inter didn't feck up, we got to a CL final and are the only English team other than Liverpool to do that for a long while. They did that last season whilst finishing fourth and then pushed on to become a much better team, it's a great platform to go on and do better things after showing Europe what you're capable of. We're not 'miles ahead' of the others but the others are hiring new managers every season/changing their philosophy etc while ours remains the same, hence why we keep getting in to that top 4 season after season.

The point is as a short term project I'd say right now United are a harder sell than Spurs are, hence why the idea you can simply take him at will is amusing.

davidmichael

The 22-year-old is said to be impressed by Spurs’ vision but has not yet put pen to paper. “That leaves the door open for United to attempt a last-ditch hijack for the 22-year-old,” says the paper. “United have held talks with Lyon, but feel there is no room currently in their squad for Ndombele with Paul Pogba still on the books at the club. Were Pogba to leave, and free up the wage bill, United would be more likely to push ahead with their pursuit of Ndombele.”
From the Independent Online.

Apart from the questions about Mata & Matic that I already mentioned, there is also the question of why bother to hold talks with Lyon, if you have no room for the player anyway..?
Maybe that newspaper forgot we’ve lost Herrera and Fellaini in the last 6 months who were regular starters for us ? Unless we’re going with Longstaff and Fernandes then I don’t see why we wouldn’t have room for a midfielder.

I don’t believe for a second Ole is going with Pogba, Matic, Fred, Pereira and McTominay as our midfield options next season regardless of Garner and Gomes coming through and maybe playing a few games next season. I would love us to move Fred, Matic and Pereira on and replace them with Longstaff, Fernandes and N’Dombele although it’s more likely Eva Mendes will be naked in my bed when I finish work.

Status
Not open for further replies.