Tanguy Ndombele | Signed For Spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's a box to box midfielder very much in the same vein as Dembele and Sissoko. Probably better than both of them but hardly the player who's going to transform Spurs into title contenders
Ahh fair enough, they do need that kind of player, though.
Their midfield after Dembele left was pretty poor, so if he can step up from the poor French league then he'll go a long way to improving them.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
On the scale of it being a fluke, but not a fluke … I see.

My point, however, concerned the timing of such posts.
Well they're legitimate arguments to Spurs' fans who bring up the UCL final as being the start for domestic dominance. It's not like the argument was made for no reason

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Is Ndombele actually any good? I really have no idea, is he attacking/defensive?
If you do sign him you'll have to hope he takes the step up because your midfield struggled last season.
Well, I'm told he's good - or even very good - but personally I've only seen some YouTube clips as far as I recall, so I defer to the views of others.

But you're right - we really need a quality addition to our CM following Dembele's departure for China. As far as I know - which isn't very far - he's a box-to-box player, perhaps (?) equally balanced between defence and attack.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I don't think it'll happen though as I can't see him and Pogba in the same team particularly. I imagine he's our option if Madrid put up £150m for Pogba (also unlikely).
Tell that to Didier Deschamps...;)

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Well, I'm told he's good - or even very good - but personally I've only seen some YouTube clips as far as I recall, so I defer to the views of others.

But you're right - we really need a quality addition to our CM following Dembele's departure for China. As far as I know - which isn't very far - he's a box-to-box player, perhaps (?) equally balanced between defence and attack.
Yeah, from what I've just been reading it sounds like he'll just slot right into that Dembele shaped hole in your midfield.
Have you been seriously linked to anyone else? I remember reading you was meant to be after Jack Clarke from leeds. He'd be another good addition provided there's any truth in it.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Yeah, from what I've just been reading it sounds like he'll just slot right into that Dembele shaped hole in your midfield.
Have you been seriously linked to anyone else? I remember reading you was meant to be after Jack Clarke from leeds. He'd be another good addition provided there's any truth in it.
I think Clarke is a done deal, just waiting to be announced, but very likely loaned back to Leeds for at least the first half of next season. He's more one for the future.

We've been linked quite a lot to Lo Celso (I'd like to think we'd go for him regardless of what happens with Eriksen, but who knows) and also to Ryan Sessegnon.

I'd imagine that some of any other/further moves are tied in a lot with what happens with Alderweireld and Eriksen.

sp_107

If Sean becomes a huge hit then it will be OK but Ndombele becomes a top player for any other club which is likely then we will point to this summer and feel sad about it. It feels like missing Vidal when he was 22 and with Bayern Levurkusen.

finneh

I believe it's too late for imagining any such thing and that the option no longer exists … assuming it ever existed in the first place.
If the option no longer exists (which could well be likely) it also means that either a) Pogba is going to stay; or b) United have other targets. I personally believe it's the former and we'll probably sell next Summer (which I guess would suit Real given the amount they've already spent this year).

If United's top target to replace an imminently departing player were in negotiations with Spurs a few weeks ago for the relatively insignificant sum of £60m we'd have matched the offer and added £50k a week only his package the same day.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
If the option no longer exists (which could well be likely) it also means that either a) Pogba is going to stay; or b) United have other targets. I personally believe it's the former and we'll probably sell next Summer (which I guess would suit Real given the amount they've already spent this year).

If United's top target to replace an imminently departing player were in negotiations with Spurs a few weeks ago for the relatively insignificant sum of £60m we'd have matched the offer and added £50k a week only his package the same day.
Maybe we are looking at a more creative option like Bruno. Spurs already have that passer that can sit deep and keep the tempo moving in Winks. So it makes sense for them to go after a Ndombele type of player.

finneh

Maybe we are looking at a more creative option like Bruno. Spurs already have that passer that can sit deep and keep the tempo moving in Winks. So it makes sense for them to go after a Ndombele type of player.
Possibly... If Pogba were leaving I'd like to see a hard working goalscoring midfielder with a 6 and 8 behind; rather than replacing almost like for like since I believe Pogba doesn't contribute enough in attack to be an attacking midfielder but certainly doesn't contribute enough in defence to be an 8... So he's very difficult to build around. Maybe Bruno fits that bill?

Dolf

We're going to regret not buying him. Just posting this so I can quote myself in 5 years.

Shinjch

A good get for Spurs, should be a good upgrade on Sissoko once he settles in.

Silas

Possibly... If Pogba were leaving I'd like to see a hard working goalscoring midfielder with a 6 and 8 behind; rather than replacing almost like for like since I believe Pogba doesn't contribute enough in attack to be an attacking midfielder but certainly doesn't contribute enough in defence to be an 8... So he's very difficult to build around. Maybe Bruno fits that bill?
Huh. Never thought I'd see anyone say his creativity is a problem.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
This would confirm Eriksen going to Real I think. Ceballos, Ndombele, Winks, Sissokko, Alli, Dier, Eriksen all vying for 3 positions would be overkill.
This is not the case. Eriksen normally plays in a three behind Kane. The only players - including those in your list - who'd be competing for a slot in that three are Eriksen, Alli, Ceballos, Son and Moura: that'd be 5 players for 3 positions.

finneh

He doesn't score or assist enough to be a number 10 in my view. Excluding penalties he's scored an average of 7 goals a season and assisted an average of 9 (22 goals and 29 assists).

For me I want a number 10 hitting 25 goals + assists per season, not 16. Eriksen for example over the same period has 36 goals + 53 assists (89 vs 51) meaning he's 75% more productive.

That's before even looking at a Griezmann type hitting 35 G+A a season - 68 goals 37 assists (more than twice as productive).

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This is not the case. Eriksen normally plays in a three behind Kane. The only players - including those in your list - who'd be competing for a slot in that three are Eriksen, Alli, Ceballos, Son and Moura: that'd be 5 players for 3 positions.
Son, Moura are wingers. Also don't you guys have Lamela and Clarke? 4 players for 2 wide positions. I know Poch in the past has used Eriksen and Alli out wide but that has more often than not be due to an injury crisis. For the role behind Kane, you'll essentially have Alli, Eriksen and Ceballos competing for one position. Unless Eriksen is dropped deeper, which again would make no sense since that would require a pure DM like Dier next to him, negating any need for N'dombele.

I think the writing is on the wall-Eriksen will leave this summer.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Son, Moura are wingers. Also don't you guys have Lamela and Clarke? 4 players for 2 wide positions. I know Poch in the past has used Eriksen and Alli out wide but that has more often than not be due to an injury crisis. For the role behind Kane, you'll essentially have Alli, Eriksen and Ceballos competing for one position. Unless Eriksen is dropped deeper, which again would make no sense since that would require a pure DM like Dier next to him, negating any need for N'dombele.

Clarke is 18 years old and going back to Leeds for a Season.

If Tottenham bring in Lo Celso, then Eriksen will be leaving, but even then Tottenhams greatest weakness (in my opinion) is their over reliance on Eriksen. If he's injured or out of form, Tottenham tend to struggle to break teams down. They don't have enough technical players with great vision. NDombele will help with that to some degree, but they need another player to help. Alli is the player that might struggle imo. He's not brought enough to the table recently.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Maybe to soften negotiations for Eriksen? But both Ceballos and Ndombele would be good additions for them.
Rumours Eriksen has sold up in London and his family are looking for a place in Madrid. Probably just newspaper bs.

As for Ndombele 55mil with add ons is the figure im seeing getting around. I think he will take a year to adjust his game and settle into the EPL. Look at Son, was almost going to call it quits after an average to poor first year, Pochettino convinced him to stay and he is killing it now.

Ndombele will be in the heart of midfield, so he will be competing with Winks, Sissoko, Dier, Wanyama. I guess not so much Winks as he is a different type of player. I expect Wanyama or Dier will move on, or Pochettino will move Dier back to a CB position. And also the fact Wanyama and Winks spend 50% of their time or more injured.

Ceballos would be a direct replacement for Eriksen so Son, Ceballos, Moura, Alli, Lamela for those three attacking spots behind/off Kane. Read some rumours Spurs were after Lo Celso to replace Eriksen. Probably just newspaper lies because of the Argentina link with Pochettino though.

settembrini

I'm a bit surprised to see this guy going to Tottenham considering how hyped he has been. Did he reject anyone notable to sign for them or were Spurs the only side to make an offer?

King7Eric

Clarke is 18 years old and going back to Leeds for a Season.

If Tottenham bring in Lo Celso, then Eriksen will be leaving, but even then Tottenhams greatest weakness (in my opinion) is their over reliance on Eriksen. If he's injured or out of form, Tottenham tend to struggle to break teams down. They don't have enough technical players with great vision. NDombele will help with that to some degree, but they need another player to help. Alli is the player that might struggle imo. He's not brought enough to the table recently.
Ah fair enough. Did not know that. Still think Eriksen will leave though. Real have yet to reinforce their middle of the park and its either gonna be Eriksen or Pogba, and Eriksen will be cheaper and is far more consistent than Pogba.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Rumours Eriksen has sold up in London and his family are looking for a place in Madrid. Probably just newspaper bs.

As for Ndombele 55mil with add ons is the figure im seeing getting around. I think he will take a year to adjust his game and settle into the EPL. Look at Son, was almost going to call it quits after an average to poor first year, Pochettino convinced him to stay and he is killing it now.

Ndombele will be in the heart of midfield, so he will be competing with Winks, Sissoko, Dier, Wanyama. I guess not so much Winks as he is a different type of player. I expect Wanyama or Dier will move on, or Pochettino will move Dier back to a CB position. And also the fact Wanyama and Winks spend 50% of their time or more injured.

Ceballos would be a direct replacement for Eriksen so Son, Ceballos, Moura, Alli, Lamela for those three attacking spots behind/off Kane. Read some rumours Spurs were after Lo Celso to replace Eriksen. Probably just newspaper lies because of the Argentina link with Pochettino though.
Yeah makes sense. The Lo Celso rumors seems to have died down a bit, probably due to price (I’ve not seen enough of him but from what I have seen, not too impressed especially at the rumored €60m+).

Ceballos could be a smart bit of business for Spurs and Madrid, especially if Eriksen is going to Madrid.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Ah fair enough. Did not know that. Still think Eriksen will leave though. Real have yet to reinforce their middle of the park and its either gonna be Eriksen or Pogba, and Eriksen will be cheaper and is far more consistent than Pogba.
I agree I think Eriksen will go but I don't think he would be as good at Real as Pogba would be, I would see him back to his levels at Juve.

izec

Bit baffling we weren’t all over this, maybe we were and he preferred Spurs though.
Doubt it, we dont seem to be interested in a box to box midfielder. It is Longstaff and a more attacking midfielder, like Bruno.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I'm a bit surprised to see this guy going to Tottenham considering how hyped he has been. Did he reject anyone notable to sign for them or were Spurs the only side to make an offer?
Probably a lot of factors convinced him. One of which is the fact Spurs have a poor midfield that he will probably walk into. His only real competition being his compatriot Sissoko, Wanyama and Winks injured most of the time, Dier just an old school out and out DM. That means a lot of game time for Ndombele at a club that play progressive modern football under a manager known for putting faith in young players. CL football, based in London, French captain part of the squad, modern training facilities, state of the art ground. Probably not any one thing convinced him, but I guess if you stack them up and then stack up what other clubs offered assuming others were interested he decided to pick Spurs.

The cheese room probably swayed him tbf.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

Son and Moura are not wingers: they are attacking players who can - and sometimes do - play out wide. But sometimes they play centrally - even taking Kane's place when he's not available. And often we've played with only one of either Son or Moura.

The most common formation at Spurs is 4-2-3-1 … with Kane as the 1.

Currently, Dier, Sissoko, Winks, Wanyama, Skipp and Ndombele will be competing for two slots in the '2' CM part of this formation, whilst Eriksen, Alli, Ceballos, Son, and Moura and Lamela will be competing for three slots is the '3' part of this formation … Clarke has been loaned back to Leeds.

That'd make 6 players for 2 CM positions + 6 players for the 3 more attacking positions behind Kane: so if anything we'd be more over-loaded for CM than we'd be for anywhere that Eriksen plays.

Eriksen might well leave this summer (or he might not), but the loan signing of Ceballos - if it happens - would have little bearing on this IMO, because we need more 'attacking three' options in any case.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Doubt it, we dont seem to be interested in a box to box midfielder. It is Longstaff and a more attacking midfielder, like Bruno.
This is my thought as well, Bruno, Maddison, Lo Celso, that sort of midfielder is who we seem to be shopping for if you believe the rumours getting around.

King7Eric

I agree I think Eriksen will go but I don't think he would be as good at Real as Pogba would be, I would see him back to his levels at Juve.
The biggest problem with Pogba is how people view him. I'm not directing this solely at you but I think its a myth that Pogba at Juve was a better player than he is here, or he will be better elsewhere. Pogba is extremely consistent in the fact that during the course of a game he will be inconsistent. Nearly every game he will produce an outrageous pass or skill which if it leads to a goal will earn him praise. Similarly, nearly every match he's going to lose the ball in dangerous areas and be sloppy with the ball. If his team loses he will be singled out. The thing is at Utd we don't have the players who turn his outrageous passes into goals all that often, but we do have players who are unable to stop his mistakes from getting costly. He will be the same wherever he goes, he's never gonna control games like a Modric or Pirlo, he'll always create great chances and he will always make mistakes. How he will be perceived at that club depends on how much success that team achieves.

passing-wind

I disagree Pogba is incapable of performing throughout the entirety of a season. He's a purple patches performer, Eriksen is certainly more consistent and it's not even like Spurs have boasted a quality midfield in recent years so that speaks volumes about his ability.

Additionally I don't think Pogba would play as an advanced midfielder for real I assume he would have to play a disciplined left sided role alongside Modric / Casemiro. The individual in front (Isco etc) would block the spaces he exploits. At Juventus he had Marchisio, Pirlo and Vidal who seldom push forward.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
The biggest problem with Pogba is how people view him. I'm not directing this solely at you but I think its a myth that Pogba at Juve was a better player than he is here, or he will be better elsewhere. Pogba is extremely consistent in the fact that during the course of a game he will be inconsistent. Nearly every game he will produce an outrageous pass or skill which if it leads to a goal will earn him praise. Similarly, nearly every match he's going to lose the ball in dangerous areas and be sloppy with the ball. If his team loses he will be singled out. The thing is at Utd we don't have the players who turn his outrageous passes into goals all that often, but we do have players who are unable to stop his mistakes from getting costly. He will be the same wherever he goes, he's never gonna control games like a Modric or Pirlo, he'll always create great chances and he will always make mistakes. How he will be perceived at that club depends on how much success that team achieves.
I disagree Pogba is incapable of performing throughout the entirety of a season. He's a purple patches performer, Eriksen is certainly more consistent and it's not even like Spurs have boasted a quality midfield in recent years so that speaks volumes about his ability.
As much as I love Eriksen he isn't a consistent performer either, he will disappear in games and you do wonder where he is and for all his hype his set pieces are average too.

King7Eric

Son and Moura are not wingers: they are attacking players who can - and sometimes do - play out wide. But sometimes they play centrally - even taking Kane's place when he's not available. And often we've played with only one of either Son or Moura.

The most common formation at Spurs is 4-2-3-1 … with Kane as the 1.

Currently, Dier, Sissoko, Winks, Wanyama, Skipp and Ndombele will be competing for two slots in the '2' CM part of this formation, whilst Eriksen, Alli, Ceballos, Son, and Moura and Lamela will be competing for three slots is the '3' part of this formation … Clarke has been loaned back to Leeds.

That'd make 6 players for 2 CM positions + 6 players for the 3 more attacking positions behind Kane: so if anything we'd be more over-loaded for CM than we'd be for anywhere that Eriksen plays.

Eriksen might well leave this summer (or he might not), but the loan signing of Ceballos - if it happens - would have little bearing on this IMO, because we need more 'attacking three' options in any case.
Spurs play best when they have 2 men running either side of the CF( I call them wingers, you can call them whatever you wish). The 2nd half against Ajax was a perfect example, Llorente flanked by Moura and Son, drifting in and out, the FBs providing the width, and 3 players compacting the middle of the pitch. Spurs grind out a lot of results but they never look great playing with Eriksen or Alli out wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.