Tanguy Ndombele | Signed For Spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherrinford

People are comparing Fred to Ndombele? Fred is more of an attacking midfielder, whilst Ndombele is predominately a combative midfielder. I see Ndombele's style being very similar to Herrera's.

The game has moved on, and so defensive midfielders are a dying breed as it restricts the team's dynamism. Matic is too immobile for higher pressing and quick transitions, and I think Ndombele's attributes will not just replace Matic's impact on the team, but also fill what Matic is missing to his game. Also, he is not as creative as Pogba-but Ndombele is more defensively astute than Pogba. This allows Pogba to roam more forward. I honestly think that Herrera/Ndombele/Pogba midfield could potentially be one of the best in Europe. Having a better defence next season will mean that the midfield won't have to cover the cracks as much in the defensive third.
Fred doesn’t seem like an attacking midfielder. By all (reasonable) accounts both him and Ndombele are no.8’s and bring similar things to the table.

Defensive midfielders being a dying breed is a nonsense - are there any better holding players in world football right now than Casemiro, Fernandinho or Kante?

For anyone who has seen a good bit of Lyon, how does their midfield work if both Ndombele and Aouar bomb forward (as seems to be the case based on comments here)? Does one actually sit and their forages forward are being overstated, or is there a third midfielder I’m unaware of who anchors and affords them the freedom to empty that area?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I felt Aouar was better last night. But I was paying more attention to the other match so maybe I'm wrong.
Aouar is the more attacking of them so he had more flashy moments, but Ndombele broke up play and drove the ball forward really well.

He's the glue that knits the team together, and that's something we need more than the flash at the end.

I mean we could happily use them both, but if it was 1 or the other I think Ndombele would be required more at this stage. We need a CDM desperately unless Herrera is going to take that role full time.

Devil may care

He had a decent game against Barca, him and Aouar make a good partnership in that Lyon midfield.

Nah feck Declan Rice.

Ndombele for me
I guess this is because he chose to play for England? They play different roles anyway.

Kostov

Aouar is the more attacking of them so he had more flashy moments, but Ndombele broke up play and drove the ball forward really well.

He's the glue that knits the team together, and that's something we need more than the flash at the end.

I mean we could happily use them both, but if it was 1 or the other I think Ndombele would be required more at this stage. We need a CDM desperately unless Herrera is going to take that role full time.
Maybe, as I said I didn't pay all my attention in that game, but Aouar put in a shift defensively as my impression makes me believe. If I have to choose for a CDM, I really don't think Ndombele is what we need. Someone like Ruben Neves would be ideal in my opinion. We need a calm and composed passer alongside Pogba and Herrera and the Portuguese would be my type of solution.

Andersons Dietician

For anyone who has seen a good bit of Lyon, how does their midfield work if both Ndombele and Aouar bomb forward (as seems to be the case based on comments here)? Does one actually sit and their forages forward are being overstated, or is there a third midfielder I’m unaware of who anchors and affords them the freedom to empty that area?
I mean it’s a great question and the answer varies because at times they play suicide football and the answer is no one, they will both have pushed up but for the most part Ndombele is the more defensive minded one but they sort of dove tail and if ones gone the other sits but Aouar is by far the one with more attacking freedom and he’ll pop up on the wing, central just all over the shop.

Aouar is a bit lightweight and in the last few games I’ve watched there has been a moment in each where he has been caught on the ball and bullied off it in a dangerous position very similar to the Messi one last night.

Neither is essentially a DM, one is going to be better as an attacker and the other is more of a traditional midfielder who can do both.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Aouar is played out of position by Genesio nearly every game, double pivot doesn't fit him, he's playing way too low, It's no surprise all his best games came when either Pape Cheikh Diop or Tousart were alongside him and Ndombele so he could be higher on the pitch.

Really? Whoscored has him on 87% which is the 3rd highest for Lyon. Aouar and Denayer have higher. Alba, Pique, Suarez, Dembele was on less too.
He got a 3/10 in today's l'Equipe.
Worst rating of the entire game.
Can't take away from him that he did try to make things happen in the 1st half though.

He was bad last night because he overcomplicated it and hung on to the ball too long way often. However I loved the few times he broke lines with his great passing. I'll take him above Aouar 9 times out of 10 despite his flaws
I just don't see anything Ndombele does that Pogba can't do even if Ndombele is indeed a bit better at breaking lines with the ball at his feet.
To me he would have been a great asset if Mourinho was still there, trying to play a low block that would burst forward with counters, but in the prospect of playing a more possession based style of football I'm not so sure.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I watched his individual performance video vs Barca, looked like he was playing deeper role. Is that how he plays regularly? always thought he was more advance midfielder (maybe because of his dribbling ability). Also some nice passes breaking lines.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Maybe, as I said I didn't pay all my attention in that game, but Aouar put in a shift defensively as my impression makes me believe. If I have to choose for a CDM, I really don't think Ndombele is what we need. Someone like Ruben Neves would be ideal in my opinion. We need a calm and composed passer alongside Pogba and Herrera and the Portuguese would be my type of solution.
That's the thing, he IS a composed passer. He isn't all rush and run with the ball.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Aouar is played out of position by Genesio nearly every game, double pivot doesn't fit him, he's playing way too low, It's no surprise all his best games came when either Pape Cheikh Diop or Tousart were alongside him and Ndombele so he could be higher on the pitch.

He got a 3/10 in today's l'Equipe.
Worst rating of the entire game.
Can't take away from him that he did try to make things happen in the 1st half though.

I just don't see anything Ndombele does that Pogba can't do even if Ndombele is indeed a bit better at breaking lines with the ball at his feet.
To me he would have been a great asset if Mourinho was still there, trying to play a low block that would burst forward with counters, but in the prospect of playing a more possession based style of football I'm not so sure.
That's exactly what we are in certain games under. We're not that much focused on possession in every game so a guy like N'Dombele would have his use. He's still young and so perfectible, I don't doubt he could improve his ball retention too against weaker teams.

mav_9me

I don't know much about him. But I personally was hoping the next CM we go for would be more of a controller/playmaker type like Modric/Kroos/Veratti, even if not their class.

Devil may care

That's exactly what we are in certain games under. We're not that much focused on possession in every game so a guy like N'Dombele would have his use. He's still young and so perfectible, I don't doubt he could improve his ball retention too against weaker teams.
I think Ole wants more controlled posession though, he's mentioned after a few games that we haven't protected the and kept the ball well enough in 2nd halves.

kouroux

I think Ole wants more controlled posession though, he's mentioned after a few games that we haven't protected the and kept the ball well enough in 2nd halves.
You're right and hopefully we'll get there. I just don't think it's a bad thing to have a player who can speed things up with his passing and running, I think if a player can already do that, there is no reason why he wouldn't be able to retain possession when needed. This kid can already do a hard thing with ease, with more experience and development he could become a very complete midfielder.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Doesn’t seem massively different, or better, than Doucoure to me. Probably double the price.

Anyway, I’m not sure he’s the profile we need, but I’m no expert on him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Doesn’t seem massively different, or better, than Doucoure to me. Probably double the price.

Anyway, I’m not sure he’s the profile we need, but I’m no expert on him.
Doucoure plays a lot higher up the field. I also don't think Doucoure would go for that much less, to be fair.

I'm very interested.

Herrera, Ndombele, Pogba. Press-resistance mobility. :drool:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Doucoure plays a lot higher up the field. I also don't think Doucoure would go for that much less, to be fair.

I'm very interested.

Herrera, Ndombele, Pogba. Press-resistance mobility. :drool:
Still some key midfield ingredients missing I feel.

Andersons Dietician

You're right and hopefully we'll get there. I just don't think it's a bad thing to have a player who can speed things up with his passing and running, I think if a player can already do that, there is no reason why he wouldn't be able to retain possession when needed. This kid can already do a hard thing with ease, with more experience and development he could become a very complete midfielder.
Agreed, he’s also not that bad in possession, he’s strong able to beat a man and has awareness at times that allows him to take the ball away from the danger, I think there was a flick last night over Basket that shows what I’m talking about.

Lyon like to get the ball forward quickly and in doing that they make a lot of risky passes and as you said we don’t really play possession football currently and I think Ole’s plan will be to be able to do both my issue would be he isn’t a DM, if he comes in it would be inplace of Herrera or those 2 as a duo and the fact is Herrera is the glue that makes our midfield work would Ndombele do the same.

bucky

That's why i try not to put to much credence into these stats. Denayer is one of the worst footballers I've ever seen in the PL. Can't believe he made it pro.
He played well yesterday.

I watched his individual performance video vs Barca, looked like he was playing deeper role. Is that how he plays regularly? always thought he was more advance midfielder (maybe because of his dribbling ability). Also some nice passes breaking lines.
That's probably his best role, but without Tousart he's given more responsibility defensively. Recently Genesio has used Tousart less and more of a midfield two with Auoar and NDombele. If you look at their average positions, there's hardly any difference to who is the more advanced midfielder of the two, if anything it's probably Auoar slightly.

I don't know much about him. But I personally was hoping the next CM we go for would be more of a controller/playmaker type like Modric/Kroos/Veratti, even if not their class.
That's what he arguably was best at yesterday. He completed more passes (62 of 54) for Lyon than Ferland Mendy (53/43) or Auoar (50/46) attempted, who were second to him in terms of possession. As others pointed out it weren't just passes backwards or sideways, there was also some Carrick-esque breaking the lines passing. He got worse in the second half though. It's his concentration and attitude defensively that needs to improve.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Still some key midfield ingredients missing I feel.
I get you - I think it’s what everyone is saying about lacking another creative body when Pogba has a rare off day, or where he can’t do everything against an elite team (PSG). I’m a big believer of putting Herrera in DM and grabbing one of these new hybrid CMs in the Ndombele mould. Maybe one who has more to his pass range. Lo Celso?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I get you - I think it’s what everyone is saying about lacking another creative body when Pogba has a rare off day, or where he can’t do everything against an elite team (PSG). I’m a big believer of putting Herrera in DM and grabbing one of these new hybrid CMs in the Ndombele mould. Maybe one who has more to his pass range. Lo Celso?
Now you’re talking! Old adage that the ‘ball is faster than the man’, and in midfield, I think we could do without another player that has to carry the ball from A to B. I know in the PL we do love a midfielder who can ‘drive’ with the ball, but I think Herrera and Pogba would be best complimented by a pure technician, or at least a technician first and foremost.

I really wanted De Jong :(

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That's probably his best role, but without Tousart he's given more responsibility defensively. Recently Genesio has used Tousart less and more of a midfield two with Auoar and NDombele. If you look at their average positions, there's hardly any difference to who is the more advanced midfielder of the two, if anything it's probably Auoar slightly.
Thanks.

Stacks

No thanks. Don't need more destroyers. That's Jose method. Need more cute midfielders. Verrati types, Tiago types. Perhaps Sandro Bonali. Ideally Michael Carrick. Someone to take the pressure off Paul and allow him to wander.

Jib

An upgrade to Herrera. But we still need a DLP.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If anyone thinks he's a destroyer, then you've never seen him play live.

bucky

He's worse than NDombele there though. Attempts fewer passes than NDombele despite playing in possession based team and has a worse completion rate than NDombele as well. On average Lo Celso attempts 44.7 passes per game and he completes 83.8 percent. NDombele averages 54.2 passes per game and he completes 88.6 percent. As far as passing range goes; Lo Celso averages 1.3 accurate long balls per game (0.7 inaccurate long balls), whereas NDombele averages 1.5 accurate long balls per game (0.5 inaccurate long balls). To be fair to Lo Celso, if you compare his numbers in the EL to NDombele's numbers in the CL then he's better than NDombele. (Lo Celso: 52 passes per game with a completion rate of 87.2 and 2.5 accurate longs balls per game [0.7 inaccurate long balls], NDombele: 44 passes per game with a completion rate of 87.3 and 1.9 accurate long balls [0.6 inaccurate long balls]. As far as key passes go NDombele is better in the league as well, he has 25 compared to Lo Celso's 16. In the CL NDombele has 6, Lo Celso has 10. NDombele has 4 assists in the league compared to Lo Celso's 2 in La Liga and 1 assist in the EL. As far as xGChain and xGBuildup go, NDombele is better again, with a xGBuildup figure of 7.43 compared to Lo Celso's 3.23 and in terms of xGChain NDombele has a figure of 8.78 compared to 7.93.

Before I am misunderstood, I think Lo Celso is a talented player and I think we should definitely look at him. I have been mostly arguing in favour of NDombele's playmaking/controlling the game typ of ability.

Edit: And I want to see Herrera in that role again. He's had good games there for us, especially under van Gaal, if I remember it correctly.

Now you’re talking! Old adage that the ‘ball is faster than the man’, and in midfield, I think we could do without another player that has to carry the ball from A to B. I know in the PL we do love a midfielder who can ‘drive’ with the ball, but I think Herrera and Pogba would be best complimented by a pure technician, or at least a technician first and foremost.

I really wanted De Jong :(
In their respective leagues Lo Celso attempts more dribbles per game than NDombele and if you read the above, you'll see who's doing more with his passing. I think you need to watch a bit more of both. NDombele simply isn't this brainless out of control dribbling machine too many people are describing him to be.

No thanks. Don't need more destroyers. That's Jose method. Need more cute midfielders. Verrati types, Tiago types. Perhaps Sandro Bonali. Ideally Michael Carrick. Someone to take the pressure off Paul and allow him to wander.
He isn't a destroyer.

Last edited:

kouroux

Agreed, he’s also not that bad in possession, he’s strong able to beat a man and has awareness at times that allows him to take the ball away from the danger, I think there was a flick last night over Basket that shows what I’m talking about.

Lyon like to get the ball forward quickly and in doing that they make a lot of risky passes and as you said we don’t really play possession football currently and I think Ole’s plan will be to be able to do both my issue would be he isn’t a DM, if he comes in it would be inplace of Herrera or those 2 as a duo and the fact is Herrera is the glue that makes our midfield work would Ndombele do the same.
That flick was class indeed.
Herrera could replace Matic as a DM from time to time and it would allow Tanguy to play just next to him. More than anything else, it could be an answer (no guarantees of course) to our lack of depth in midfield. A situation Fred is unable to help us out from.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The only thing he needs to add to his game is goals. His passing and play making in general is quite impressive and at 22 he will only get better.

Stacks

The only thing he needs to add to his game is goals. His passing and play making in general is quite impressive and at 22 he will only get better.
To be honest his passing range looks no better than Kante so I'd have him as a Herrera upgrade as he has much needed physicality but again we need more of a Carrick/Pirlo type

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
its quite complete imo. what do you think is missing?
Just a bit more control I think, a possession keeper who can resist pressure. Someone like Pjanic would be great.

I won’t say no to Ndombele, he has some great qualities too. Although even his type of midfielder, I think we can get cheaper than he’d cost. Firstly, I still have faith in Fred, and secondly, I think Barella would be a good cheaper alternative.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just a bit more control I think, a possession keeper who can resist pressure. Someone like Pjanic would be great.

I won’t say no to Ndombele, he has some great qualities too. Although even his type of midfielder, I think we can get cheaper than he’d cost. Firstly, I still have faith in Fred, and secondly, I think Barella would be a good cheaper alternative.
Yeah I think its important to have all 3 of your midfielders and your centerbacks having the mentality/mindset of controlling possession. Pep always has all his central players basically excel at that, dominating the possession and always opening up to receive passes. We dont have that really, so while we can dominate against smaller teams, we counter attack more in bigger games (mainly because our defence isnt great at building up, but also the mid)

Canagel

We should have room for botb types . creative skillfull box to box and DLP. ndombele looks like the best candidate for the first. I think Fred and ndombele are quite similar profiles and in the absence of Pogba we would be covered creativity wise even without a DLP.

Devil may care

I do think he's a good player with the attributes to develop further given he's young, my view though is that right now he's not what this team lacks. If Ander were to leave this summer then Ndombele would be a decent option for that role as even though he lacks the defensive nous of Ander he has other qualities in the role and as you say he can learn, but if Ander stays it's a DLP we really need IMO.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
To be honest his passing range looks no better than Kante so I'd have him as a Herrera upgrade as he has much needed physicality but again we need more of a Carrick/Pirlo type
I disagree, Kante might do ok in that regard in the EPL but Ndombele is showing time and time again he can pass to a very good level against elite level teams like PSG, City and Barca, especially compared to Kante.

At just 22 he's gonna get better and his play making ability as a box to box midfielder, along with his ability to drive the ball forward looks a very interesting prospect. Ball retention is something he will also excell at IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.