Tanguy Ndombele | Signed For Spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I do think he's a good player with the attributes to develop further given he's young, my view though is that right now he's not what this team lacks. If Ander were to leave this summer then Ndombele would be a decent option for that role as even though he lacks the defensive nous of Ander he has other qualities in the role and as you say he can learn, but if Ander stays it's a DLP we really need IMO.
He is though and by that I mean quality depth at the very worst and at best a good starter, apart from our 3 starting CMs we have nobody. We're one serious injury away from being seriously fecked for the rest of the season. The problem with many caftards is that they view most signings as immediate starters and don't think beyond what a player could bring to the team beyond starting every game.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Weren’t people on here rating Seri last year and look how he turned out. Struggles to play for one of the worst teams in the league.

Is this guy any better?
I think Seri is better than he has shown at Fulham but would always struggle in a dysfunctional team. Barcelona were interested in him and he ended up at Fulham which was very weird.

Devil may care

He is though and by that I mean quality depth at the very worst and at best a good starter, apart from our 3 starting CMs we have nobody. We're one serious injury away from being seriously fecked for the rest of the season. The problem with many caftards is that they view most signings as immediate starters and don't think beyond what a player could bring to the team beyond starting every game.
You're not wrong but we'd be talking about at least £60M for a player to rotate with Ander while we still have a £50M CM we bought last summer for the same role, all the while we still have no cover for the holding midfield position. If we spent what we earn as a club then yes, go and get the 2 CM's and give us the kind of depth City have, but if we spend cautiously I don't think a player to compete with Ander is a top priority, not unless we are offloading Fred.

Sanche7

How creative is this guy? From what I've seen he can deliver some defense splitting through balls but is not the most creative. IMO we need someone who is creative.
From the little I've seen of Eriksen, he's very creative and very hard working. Maybe with a mobile DM (Herrera?), a midfield with Pogba and Eriksen can work.
I know Levy is crazy but since he's in the last year of his contract, we could get him for say 80 mill, which would be a better deal than Ndomble for 65 IMO. A midfield with Pogba and Eriksen will be very creative but we might get run over against the top teams

kouroux

You're not wrong but we'd be talking about at least £60M for a player to rotate with Ander while we still have a £50M CM we bought last summer for the same role, all the while we still have no cover for the holding midfield position. If we spent what we earn as a club then yes, go and get the 2 CM's and give us the kind of depth City have, but if we spend cautiously I don't think a player to compete with Ander is a top priority, not unless we are offloading Fred.
It's a matter of POV, I see that our DM cover here is already even here in Herrera who has showed he could be competent enough there. As far as I'm concerned Fred is a dud so I don't even consider, I think McTominay is even more useful at this stage. So what I don't see is who could cover Herrera in need be.
I don't believe you're that concerned about prices because it's not our money and players will only become more expensive so £60M, whilst a lof of money, is really peanuts in terms of investment for a possibly good player. Our fans shouldn't worry that much about transfer fees but more so about wages.

TsuWave

How creative is this guy? From what I've seen he can deliver some defense splitting through balls but is not the most creative. IMO we need someone who is creative.
From the little I've seen of Eriksen, he's very creative and very hard working. Maybe with a mobile DM (Herrera?), a midfield with Pogba and Eriksen can work.
I know Levy is crazy but since he's in the last year of his contract, we could get him for say 80 mill, which would be a better deal than Ndomble for 65 IMO. A midfield with Pogba and Eriksen will be very creative but we might get run over against the top teams
Eriksen has been at Spurs for like 5 years and you have seen little of him?

Ndombele has crazy potential, and his midfield partner Aouar is another one that's very good, either of them would be a great buy for us.

Sanche7

Eriksen has been at Spurs for like 5 years and you have seen little of him?

Ndombele has crazy potential, and his midfield partner Aouar is another one that's very good, either of them would be a great buy for us.
I usually watch only United's games, rarely do I watch Spurs play, so yeah I havent seen much of Eriksen

I know he is good but is he what we need is the real question. Personally don't feel he's very creative from what little I've seen of him. If Pogba gets injured, we are kind of fecked

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I usually watch only United's games, rarely do I watch Spurs play, so yeah I havent seen much of Eriksen

I know he is good but is he what we need is the real question. Personally don't feel he's very creative from what little I've seen of him. If Pogba gets injured, we are kind of fecked
I can reliably inform you that he is very creative.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I don't know if it is my problem but I was reviewing the first half vs Barcelona and looking into the particular context of that game imo from the 11 Lyon players during the match maybe only Lopes had a better game than him.

I mean even looking into some individual stats he had like dribbles, only Messi had a better share of dribble success.

Not saying he should be signed here, just refuting some mind boggling things I read on this topic like he wasn't impressive at all when they were playing against a better team.

Fracture90

First I gotta admit I haven't seen too much of him prior to the last couple of weeks so I went on and binge-watched a bunch of his game highlights, and from what I've seen imo his passing is greatly overrated in this thread. Yes he can send a nice defence splitting pass down the middle on occasion, but almost all of his passes are ground, low height passes, he rarely if ever goes for a high pass over the players. He's a good player though, quite mobile and composed with the ball, but his passing isn't really all that different from Kante's like one other poster had mentioned.

Again I'll repeat I haven't seen a whole lot of him, but from what I've seen, that's what I got.

reddaz71

In terms of quality we could do with this kid as well as Rabiot tbh as we have a threadbare midfield especially if Fred is moved on.

TsuWave

First I gotta admit I haven't seen too much of him prior to the last couple of weeks so I went on and binge-watched a bunch of his game highlights, and from what I've seen imo his passing is greatly overrated in this thread. Yes he can send a nice defence splitting pass down the middle on occasion, but almost all of his passes are ground, low height passes, he rarely if ever goes for a high pass over the players. He's a good player though, quite mobile and composed with the ball, but his passing isn't really all that different from Kante's like one other poster had mentioned.
so because no hollywood balls over the players his passing is overrated?

kouroux

Again I'll repeat I haven't seen a whole lot of him, but from what I've seen, that's what I got.
Clearly that isn't enough. He's clearly a better passer than Kante

Fracture90

so because no hollywood balls over the players his passing is overrated?
This may come as a shock but sometimes you won't be able to send a ground, defence splitting pass and you might have to go high, especially if we're to be a successful counter attack team with our attackers running in behind the defences. And if you're already gonna spend bunch of money for a CM, you ought to get one that can make all range of passes instead of just those easier ones. High (fek if I know whether that's the right word or not) passes require higher amount of talent and skill to pull out successfully.

Fracture90

Clearly that isn't enough. He's clearly a better passer than Kante
Could be, but it might be the slightest of margin considering how much Kante has improved in that department since he's been playing out of position under Sarri.

TsuWave

This may come as a shock but sometimes you won't be able to send a ground, defence splitting pass and you might have to go high, especially if we're to be a successful counter attack team with our attackers running in behind the defences. And if you're already gonna spend bunch of money for a CM, you ought to get one that can make all range of passes instead of just those easier ones. High (fek if I know whether that's the right word or not) passes require higher amount of talent and skill to pull out successfully.
ground defence splitting passes are actually better for countering teams since its easier for runners to control the ball on the move. someone's passing being overrated shouldn't hinge on the ability of making "balls over players" passes. and high balls requiring more talent/skill than ground splitting passes, and those being easier to make, is incredibly arguable.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Long passes aren't the most difficult ones though, it's a lot more difficult to pass the ball on the ground between two opponent which he often does and tries, the reason he tries these ones is because they are a lot more dangerous and puts his teammates in far better positions. I do think that he should try more crossfield passes, he has the bad habits to control-dribble-pass which gives times for the opposition to reorganize but at 22 I don't expect him to be totally mature from a decision making standpoint.

Fracture90

ground defence splitting passes are actually better for countering teams since its easier for runners to control the ball on the move. someone's passing being overrated shouldn't hinge on the ability of making "balls over players" passes. and high balls requiring more talent/skill than ground splitting passes, and those being easier to make, is incredibly arguable.
It's also easier for defenders to intercept those passes as well, and as I said before you can't always make that kind of pass it greatly depends on the defenders positioning.

Been reading this thread for a while and I've seen posts stating that his passing is quite something, one of his better aspects of the game and that he's a great passer I've come to expect a player that can send all sort of passes, but I was quite disappointed in the lack of high passes made tbh.

I suppose ground pass is easier to make because you can very well use the pitch and the players position as a guidelines for a pass, helps you weigh it in better, whilst when you're sending a high pass you can't rely on any of those, it takes more finesse, anticipation ,technique and overall passing ability.

Fracture90

Long passes aren't the most difficult ones though, it's a lot more difficult to pass the ball on the ground between two opponent which he often does and tries, the reason he tries these ones is because they are a lot more dangerous and puts his teammates in far better positions. I do think that he should try more crossfield passes, he has the bad habits to control-dribble-pass which gives times for the opposition to reorganize but at 22 I don't expect him to be totally mature from a decision making standpoint.
Imo they're certainly more difficult than the ground passes, so we'll just have to agree to disagree dude.

JPRouve

Scout
Imo they're certainly more difficult than the ground passes, so we'll just have to agree to disagree dude.
That's a surprising take because it's quite obvious why it's not the case. Long passes allow more "mistakes" in terms of weight and direction, you don't have to actually hit an accurate target, you just need to hit a reasonable area and your teammate will adjust during the flight of the ball. Ground passes and in this case through passes, requires accuracy in terms of weight and direction because the ball will come quicker, there is no time or room for adjustment and you have to avoid opponents.

TsuWave

That's a surprising take because it's quite obvious why it's not the case. Long passes allow more "mistakes" in terms of weight and direction, you don't have to actually hit an accurate target, you just need to hit a reasonable area and your teammate will adjust during the flight of the ball. Ground passes and in this case through passes, requires accuracy in terms of weight and direction because the ball will come quicker, there is no time or room for adjustment and you have to avoid opponents.
agreed

Fracture90

I understand it's a big of a paradox really, let us start with our very own UTD. The fact that you can have a situation in which sending a ground through pass is impossible, logic dictates they're more difficult to make, but the sheer amount of times players option not to try a high pass even though they can clearly see their attacker running, is down to them not having enough skill and ability to send a useful pass more often then not. This is something I've noticed in real life as well, considering I'm playing footy 2-3 times per week. Both futsal and football on the big pitch.

Just how many times were you left with a feeling of frustration seeing one of our attackers running in behind, getting themselves open for a good pass over the lines but that pass never came because none of our players bar Pogba don't have enough passing skill and ability to make that pass? Then on the other side how many times have you seen our players trying to make a ground pass to send our attacker running but ultimately failing because they went with the ground pass even though high pass was a far better option, but due to their limited passing ability they're more comfortable with attempting ground passes?

Now tell me when you're watching other games beside United how many times you see MF players and fullbacks often resorting to not trying to make a high pass and just pass it sideways when the lines are too clogged for a ground long pass even though they have a player open and running in behind which could make something happen if they're to get a usable high pass over the defense?

deafepl

I'd like Ballera, tidy box to box player and a hard work player who will give everything for us each game.

Ralph MIlne

I haven't seen much of him, but I find him a bit slow the first steps. I would like our midfield to be aggressive and a ball winning unit. As per now we are slow as fu*k, and can't win much. That would be a key if were going do be more deadly on counter attacking. Big midfielders could be very good ballwinners, but only if they got speedy aggressive players around them, wich wouldn't be the case here

JPRouve

Scout
I understand it's a big of a paradox really, let us start with our very own UTD. The fact that you can have a situation in which sending a ground through pass is impossible, logic dictates they're more difficult to make, but the sheer amount of times players option not to try a high pass even though they can clearly see their attacker running, is down to them not having enough skill and ability to send a useful pass more often then not. This is something I've noticed in real life as well, considering I'm playing footy 2-3 times per week. Both futsal and football on the big pitch.

Just how many times were you left with a feeling of frustration seeing one of our attackers running in behind, getting themselves open for a good pass over the lines but that pass never came because none of our players bar Pogba don't have enough passing skill and ability to make that pass? Then on the other side how many times have you seen our players trying to make a ground pass to send our attacker running but ultimately failing because they went with the ground pass even though high pass was a far better option, but due to their limited passing ability they're more comfortable with attempting ground passes?

Now tell me when you're watching other games beside United how many times you see MF players and fullbacks often resorting to not trying to make a high pass and just pass it sideways when the lines are too clogged for a ground long pass even though they have a player open and running in behind which could make something happen if they're to get a usable high pass over the defense?
I could be wrong but to me, it seems that you are talking about decision making more than the difficulty of passes. You are using examples where players choose to recycle instead of making a through or high pass and in that case it's a matter of ability to read the game. One important factor is that players generally wants the ball on the ground because it's easier to deal with it and you will generally not be in an actual duel which isn't the case for a high balls. As for your last question it happens in all games for all teams.

Devil may care

It's a matter of POV, I see that our DM cover here is already even here in Herrera who has showed he could be competent enough there. As far as I'm concerned Fred is a dud so I don't even consider, I think McTominay is even more useful at this stage. So what I don't see is who could cover Herrera in need be.
I don't believe you're that concerned about prices because it's not our money and players will only become more expensive so £60M, whilst a lof of money, is really peanuts in terms of investment for a possibly good player. Our fans shouldn't worry that much about transfer fees but more so about wages.
Well we are in agreement on two of the points here, I'm not concerned about the money, I'm concerned the Glazers have us budgeted unlike PSG or Barca who just spend whatever it takes to make their squads as strong as possible, which means we have to select priorities. I also agree with you on Fred, never wanted him to be bought in the first place and funnily enough I was saying last summer we should be looking at Ndombele if we wanted another box to box to compete with Ander. The only point we disagree with is Ander as the holding player, he's filled in there and done decently now and then but when he plays there you take away his biggest asset which is to press and harrass the opposition in midfield as he has to be more rigid positionally, plus his long range passing from deep is poor. Basically if we could buy a DLP and a box to box this summer I'd be all for it, but if it's only one due to Glazernomics then the Matic upgrade comes first for me.

kouroux

Well we are in agreement on two of the points here, I'm not concerned about the money, I'm concerned the Glazers have us budgeted unlike PSG or Barca who just spend whatever it takes to make their squads as strong as possible, which means we have to select priorities. I also agree with you on Fred, never wanted him to be bought in the first place and funnily enough I was saying last summer we should be looking at Ndombele if we wanted another box to box to compete with Ander. The only point we disagree with is Ander as the holding player, he's filled in there and done decently now and then but when he plays there you take away his biggest asset which is to press and harrass the opposition in midfield as he has to be more rigid positionally, plus his long range passing from deep is poor. Basically if we could buy a DLP and a box to box this summer I'd be all for it, but if it's only one due to Glazernomics then the Matic upgrade comes first for me.
As a DM, I don't think it would prevent him from doing that at all. He'd just do it in a more conservative manner and it wouldn't make him press the opposition up until their final third of the pitch. He wouldn't at his best but the general idea is to give the club more options.

Devil may care

As a DM, I don't think it would prevent him from doing that at all. He'd just do it in a more conservative manner and it wouldn't make him press the opposition up until their final third of the pitch. He wouldn't at his best but the general idea is to give the club more options.
Ok, but for me we have two perfect fitting pieces in Pogba and Herrera, then we have Matic who is decent but the one that we could clearly be upgraded to make the starting unit as good as possible, so I'd rather we did that than spend huge on a guy that will either be on the bench or force Ander into a role that doesn't maximize his talent, so I'd rather spend the £60M on Neves or add some more peas and see if we can tempt Rodri. It's all really a bit moot though as I think we both realize Fred will be here next season regardless of what we think, we rarely ever cut a player loose after one season, Di Maria is the only one that springs to mind where we have paid a substantial fee and jettisoned him after one season, so Fred will be getting his shot at the Anderstudy role IMO.

Nick.

Is Ndombele actually a defensive midfielder. I thought he was quite box to box

Mugiwarared71

so you dont watch match of the day or any of the games hes played against us ?. fair enough i watch only united too but am well aware of the quality players in the prem and Eriksen is class best out and out playmaker in the league in my opinion if he played for barcelona the world would cream over him

Kag

Expectations for midfielders really have plummeted, haven’t they? A few good games in France and you’re being bandied around for 35-40 million quid. You don’t need to score. Or assist. Or control the game. You just need to get stuck in and play a few pretty passes, usually under little pressure. Those highlights of this fella’s performance the other night could have be replicated by dozens of players. I don’t mean to pick on this guy solely, as my point extends a little wider than him, but is that it?

If we’re in the business of buying midfielders then it has to be somebody that can get their foot on the ball and spread it about. Think Fabregas at Arsenal around 10 years ago. That’s the sort of midfielder you pay upwards of £40 million for. The sort that can do a bit of everything, but most importantly play the ball from deep. The closest we have to that player is Matic, and he’s getting on and is hardly the world’s most mobile.

Fracture90

I could be wrong but to me, it seems that you are talking about decision making more than the difficulty of passes. You are using examples where players choose to recycle instead of making a through or high pass and in that case it's a matter of ability to read the game. One important factor is that players generally wants the ball on the ground because it's easier to deal with it and you will generally not be in an actual duel which isn't the case for a high balls. As for your last question it happens in all games for all teams.
Nah not talking about decision making mate, but rather player unwillingness to make a high pass even when they're in a promising opportunity to do so and reason behind that (more often than not) they simply not being skilled enough to make that kind of pass, hence why they're opting for it.

What I'm trying to say is that high pass requires higher level of skill imo. Don't get me wrong, ground through passes are no slouch either, just think that high passes require higher level of skill, hence why we don't see many players around sending those kind of passes even though they one of the best options for finding the runners and rewarding them with good looks.

JPRouve

Scout
Nah not talking about decision making mate, but rather player unwillingness to make a high pass even when they're in a promising opportunity to do so and reason behind that (more often than not) they simply not being skilled enough to make that kind of pass, hence why they're opting for it.

What I'm trying to say is that high pass requires higher level of skill imo. Don't get me wrong, ground through passes are no slouch either, just think that high passes require higher level of skill, hence why we don't see many players around sending those kind of passes even though they one of the best options for finding the runners and rewarding them with good looks.
We have to be talking about different things because there is a lot more chipped balls than through balls in football games, it's not even close.

Fracture90

We have to be talking about different things because there is a lot more chipped balls than through balls in football games, it's not even close.
Maybe I'm not managing to explain what I'm trying to say in a proper way.

Fracture90

Ok, but for me we have two perfect fitting pieces in Pogba and Herrera, then we have Matic who is decent but the one that we could clearly be upgraded to make the starting unit as good as possible, so I'd rather we did that than spend huge on a guy that will either be on the bench or force Ander into a role that doesn't maximize his talent, so I'd rather spend the £60M on Neves or add some more peas and see if we can tempt Rodri. It's all really a bit moot though as I think we both realize Fred will be here next season regardless of what we think, we rarely ever cut a player loose after one season, Di Maria is the only one that springs to mind where we have paid a substantial fee and jettisoned him after one season, so Fred will be getting his shot at the Anderstudy role IMO.
Amongst if not the best options for DM position out there, but sadly one that is probably the hardest to get as well.

Drz

Ah I see, I didn't realise that newspapers like Equipe matter. I'll start using The Sun and Daily Mail ratings to prove my point in the future, good call bud. (that was sarcasm).
L'Equipe is nowhere near as BS as the Sun or Daily Mail, though I have found them to be overly critical in some instances.
As for Ndombele, in France, the word is that he has been playing despite an injury for a little while now.

RooneyLegend

Is Ndombele actually a defensive midfielder. I thought he was quite box to box
His defending is poor and he isn't one to break forward, far from a box to box. He plays behind the play most of the time. Off the ball he's deep usually and only really breaks forward with the ball at his feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.