Music Taylor Swift

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
I listened, out of interest, to the one with Justin Vernon, I thought I'd at least like that as a fan of Bon Iver.

Bored the shite out of me I'm afraid.

MiceOnMeth

Has anybody been to/got tickets for the eras tour?
Incredibly difficult to get tickets for Dublin all 3 nights sold out immediately :(

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
#53 "Soon You'll Get Better" ft. The Chicks (2019)

An emotional ballad about Taylor's mother, Andrea, battling cancer.

This collab meant a lot to Taylor, who was inspired by The Chicks early doors: “Early in my life, these three women showed me that female artists can play their own instruments while also putting on a flamboyant spectacle of a live show. They taught me that creativity, eccentricity, unapologetic boldness and kitsch can all go together authentically."

The Chicks famously faced backlash in 2003, when right before the Iraq war began, the group said at a concert in London that they were "ashamed" that President Bush was from their home state of Texas. Within days their music stopped being played on country radio in the States and they were essentially cancelled. And they were getting death threats left right centre.

Taylor kept quiet about her political beliefs for many years, presumably because she didn't want to suffer the same fate as The Chicks. In 2020 however, in the documentary Miss Americana (filmed in 2018), she spoke up against Republican Sen. Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee, calling her "Trump in a wig". She proved that being on the right side of history is more important to her than her own safety:

As for Andrea, she has beaten breast cancer twice but is now battling brain tumor found amid chemotherapy treatments.

"That's a song I don't know if I'll ever play it live. It's just really difficult for me. It was hard to write. It's hard to sing. It's hard to listen to for me.”

CoopersDream

This is a really interesting thread to read. I get that standard top 40 pop music isn't everyone's cup of tea, and that's fine. Everyone does not need to like everything. But if one can listen to, and enjoy, other such pop artists and find value in it, I find it hard that one can listen to something like Style and not see how well written and produced a pop song that is. Because it really, really is.

There also seems to be some misguided idea that the only one's that listen to her are the masses or whatnot, but this isn't really the case since Folklore/Evermore. Since then she's had a much more diverse fanbase and those albums are the reason she's now bigger than ever (by quite a distance).

But I guess what's really bothersome is just how big an artist she is right now. Pretty much the most popular artist since Michael Jackson 30-40 years ago, and she's showing no sign of stopping. Might go down as the biggest solo artist of all time.

I liked the Marvel comparision also. One thing that we gotta give Taylor credit for over the Marvel guys is that she has been able to reinvent herself as an artist, whereas Marvel pretty much has made the same movie over and over for 15 years. I guess that's why Marvel is on a downward spiral and Taylor isn't.

Has anybody been to/got tickets for the eras tour?
Incredibly difficult to get tickets for Dublin all 3 nights sold out immediately :(
I'm going to one of the Stockholm concerts. It wasn't easy to get tickets though, and certainly wasn't cheap (ended up with VIP tickets).

Last edited:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Way to make me melt. I m not a fan of her music but is totally go on a date with that adorable face. :lol:
Not sure that'd be a good idea, pissing off an NFL tight end isn't probably the smartest move :D

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I think that says more about you than it does the choruses

Spotify streaming stats for reference…
I know her big songs, and like some of them, but Blank Space is the biggest on that list and never heard of it. Will give it a listen.

Edit: It's alright.

But it promotes Toxic Femininity. Horrible role model. #CancelTaylor

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I mean, she wrote the song from the early-2010s media’s perspective of her
A lot of her stuff is intrinsically linked to her personal life, to her media treatment, to the online feuds, to her breakups, etc. I'm not saying you need to know absolutely everything about her life to appreciate it, but I think knowing the background to some of them definitely helps, and it's interesting to see how she's translated a lot of those events into cathartic music.

Wing Attack Plan R

The Republican meltdown over Swift has been amazing. That Trump or Fox News or any of those dipshits think it's a winning strategy stepping into the ring against Taylor Swift is a real puzzler. Supposedly 35,000 young people registered to vote the day after Swift tweeted about it. Taylor will get the Swifties to assemble and rock the vote!

Mike Smalling

The Republican meltdown over Swift has been amazing. That Trump or Fox News or any of those dipshits think it's a winning strategy stepping into the ring against Taylor Swift is a real puzzler. Supposedly 35,000 young people registered to vote the day after Swift tweeted about it. Taylor will get the Swifties to assemble and rock the vote!
What's most amazing about it, is that she hasn't even said anything political recently. It's completely made up. They have just taken her new relationship with Kelce and the fact that she is on TV during NFL games and run with stories about what she might do. It's extremely pathetic.

Now I almost hope that the Chiefs win the Super Bowl and she uses it to endorse Joe Biden right after the trophy ceremony. Right-wing heads would explode.

Eriku

Taylor kept quiet about her political beliefs for many years, presumably because she didn't want to suffer the same fate as The Chicks. In 2020 however, in the documentary Miss Americana (filmed in 2018), she spoke up against Republican Sen. Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee, calling her "Trump in a wig". She proved that being on the right side of history is more important to her than her own safety:

Is it just me or is it sketchy that her father first brings up lost income, THEN the fears for safety?

Doubting his sincerity, but I dunno shit about the dude.

Moby

Dick
The Republican meltdown over Swift has been amazing.
I've zero clue or interest in why or where this is happening but that itself is a pretty easy automatic reason to be in favour of her continuing to be super popular. She might be shite and outdated at her real job but there's always brownie points for burning the RW scum

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
What's most amazing about it, is that she hasn't even said anything political recently. It's completely made up. They have just taken her new relationship with Kelce and the fact that she is on TV during NFL games and run with stories about what she might do. It's extremely pathetic.

Now I almost hope that the Chiefs win the Super Bowl and she uses it to endorse Joe Biden right after the trophy ceremony. Right-wing heads would explode.
Doesn't even need the Chiefs to win, she should do the half-time show and buy the ad slots around it

Wing Attack Plan R

I've zero clue or interest in why or where this is happening but that itself is a pretty easy automatic reason to be in favour of her continuing to be super popular. She might be shite and outdated at her real job but there's always brownie points for burning the RW scum
It's been making the rounds on Fox with morons like Laura Ingraham and Dana Perino and that judge idiot saying that there is some kind of grand conspiracy involving referees throwing the game that got the 49ers to the Super Bowl, and then speculating that Taylor Swift and Kelce are going to use the Super Bowl platform to endorse Biden live. They are basically saying the equivalent of "shut up and dance, monkey" about Swift, even though Swift herself has not endorse anyone.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
State of the mainstream industry that this shit wins best album at the Grammies. The other winners are equally bad tbf.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's just a popularity contest at the end of the day, same as the Ballon D'Or
Nah Messi wins a few silly awards over and above necessary (like ThBest or whatever that was) but he’s basically one of the best ever so his Balon Dors make sense.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It's been making the rounds on Fox with morons like Laura Ingraham and Dana Perino and that judge idiot saying that there is some kind of grand conspiracy involving referees throwing the game that got the 49ers to the Super Bowl, and then speculating that Taylor Swift and Kelce are going to use the Super Bowl platform to endorse Biden live. They are basically saying the equivalent of "shut up and dance, monkey" about Swift, even though Swift herself has not endorse anyone.
They. Are. Afraid.

:devil:
Oh yes inject this into my veins!!

CoopersDream

Grammy's feels largely irrelevant since they do not even try to pick the best in any category.

:devil:
This however, is a nice surprise. I wonder if the setlist will be updated for the tour after the release?

Another album? I know her music is little more than tapping a few keywords into a song generator and pressing go but has anybody else released so much music in such a short timeframe? Seems like one every few months this last couple of years.