Team America at the World Cup

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Dempsey replaced by Wondolowski after warmups. He's had two good chances so far.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Diskerud, Johansson both capitalize on their chance. Mix has done really well so far. Johansson should get time over Altidore in Brazil.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
That was a horrendous first half led by two donkeys playing up front in a 4-4-2 that had zero creativity in the side. I missed the second half after losing all interest in this ludicrous friendly.

margarito86

Diskerud, Johansson both capitalize on their chance. Mix has done really well so far. Johansson should get time over Altidore in Brazil.
I saw mix live a couple of time during the olympic qualifiers. I was like man this kid is pretty darn good! He just needs a chance man, a developing player with that innate ability to hold the ball and shake someone off of em.

RedIke

I'm beginning to think goals are going to be hard to come by, especially from up top. Anyone seeing it differently?
Think your absolutely correct. Jozy can't score to save his life, and Clint will be too far away from the net to make a real difference. Unfortunately, I rate Wondo the best pure striker, just don't know how much time he will see.

Monadi

I'm beginning to think goals are going to be hard to come by, especially from up top. Anyone seeing it differently?
big mistake leaving donovan off the squad. we will finish last with 1 or 2 goals scored. klinsmann will be canned and hopefully that will be the end of the german occupation of the united states national team. no more greens or chandlers or joneses.

RedIke

big mistake leaving donovan off the squad. we will finish last with 1 or 2 goals scored. klinsmann will be canned and hopefully that will be the end of the german occupation of the united states national team. no more greens or chandlers or joneses.
Landon wasn't going to be scoring boat loads of goals either tho.

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
yeah such a mistake give a little trust on youth players, cause they doesn´t stand for the future! :confused:

Monadi

so why you are struggling with green and co?
hä?
i don't consider them to be american. i don't care where your daddy is from or where you lived for 1 or 2 years.
just my opinion, don't have anything against germans. similarly, i think diego costa representing spain isn't right.

Distracted Steward

Not sure that isnthe problem. I think you over estimate the Donovan's potential to contribute at the moment. He came back from his sabbatical a lesser player.

Monadi

Not sure that isnthe problem. I think you over estimate the Donovan's potential to contribute at the moment. He came back from his sabbatical a lesser player.
you're at the world cup, tied or down a goal going into the 70/80th minute, jozy altidore has failed you, you're ready to make a sub, you look to the bench and you'd rather see green or wondolowski rather than donovan?

RedIke

you're at the world cup, tied or down a goal going into the 70/80th minute, jozy altidore has failed you, you're ready to make a sub, you look to the bench and you'd rather see green or wondolowski rather than donovan?
We can agree to disagree on Landon. I don't think the difference between him and other players is as great as you think. What I find odd is in your scenario, you want to take off Jozy but bring on a guy who is far more suited for the wing?

In your scenario, I would much rather bring on Green, more creative, or Wondo better finisher.

Distracted Steward

Wondo, probably. Donovan has lost that sharpness and that mental toughness he fought so hard to build.

JefferiesTube

USA should have more quality players by now

Population of 300 million or so and richest country in the world

They should be 1 of the very best teams in the world and producing lots of talented players

African countries have an excuse, because they are so poor and no investment but USA?

Women's team is very strong and one of the best, why not the Men's team?

Loublaze

ATLien

They should be 1 of the very best teams in the world and producing lots of talented players

African countries have an excuse, because they are so poor and no investment but USA?

The big money is spent on Football, basketball and baseball. Football is slowly growing though. MLS teams are getting more competitive, fan bases are growing and teams are mostly now all playing in soccer specific stadia.

Distracted Steward

@margarito86 It is fair to say Donovan stumbled into camp compared to Wondo. He's late to the party, but Wondo's play over the last few seasons in MLS (and displays with the USMNT) suggests he has a role to play.

But let's be fair: they are not like for like. Wondo plays as an out and out striker while Donovan is best behind the striker or in the wide or advanced midfield.

Though I took the hypothetical question up, it is more realistic to ask Donovan v a guy that plays where he has been.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The US has been much better in the first 10 minutes than against Azerbaijan. At least in attack. The defense has not been so hot.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

Fabian Johnson with a brilliant goal. Bradley chipped it over the defense and Johson just tucked it into the left corner first time.

Last edited:

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
:lol: Turkey managed not to score an own goal despite their best efforts. Dempsey tapped it in.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
And it should be 3-0. Well, Davis kept it in with his hand on the sideline in the build up.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Stupid give away by Chandler leads to a penalty when Turkey's shot hits the defender's hand, which was by his side. 2-1. The US should have put this away but have wasted a number of chances.

margarito86

@margarito86 It is fair to say Donovan stumbled into camp compared to Wondo. He's late to the party, but Wondo's play over the last few seasons in MLS (and displays with the USMNT) suggests he has a role to play.

But let's be fair: they are not like for like. Wondo plays as an out and out striker while Donovan is best behind the striker or in the wide or advanced midfield.

Though I took the hypothetical question up, it is more realistic to ask Donovan v a guy that plays where he has been.
Agreed.

I seriously dont think donovan was starting material, but i felt he could definitely offer a lot off the bench. Especially in those dead lock games, u need a guy with fresh legs to maybe break the defense or make the other team adjust an open spaces.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
Time to start thread banning this shit.

Start another discussion if you want to cover this for the millionth time.

Let's talk about USA Soccer at the World Cup.