Tennis 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuranoLover

Well, yeah. The whole thing started when I said he's a win away from London though. If he gets it Sock is out, as is practically everyone else. If he doesn't win the next one, he'll finish behind Busta anyway, regardless of what Sock does.
So..you still think miracles don't happen ? :)

Bojan11

Never heard of Krajinovic before this tournament. Just shows how depleted the men's game is at the moment when he is making the final.

Kag

The mens game is in disarray at the moment. It needs a young Nadal, Djokovic or Murray desperately. Aged 19/20/21 they would have been gobbling up circus events like the one in Paris this week. It really makes you appreciate (if you didn't already) how brilliant they were for the game.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
It's fun watching Benneteau right now. He's been around for almost as long as I've been watching tennis and it's great to see his last hurrah.
He just broke back to make it 3:3 in set 1.

wr8_utd

:'(
Nadal must have more withdrawals than actual losses.....no wonder his win ratio is epic. Solid tactic.
It's the smart thing to do. I'm surprised he didn't retire in the previous match. He was really struggling with his movement big time.

Bojan11

Jack Sock has won a masters event...

First men's American player to win one since Roddick in 2010. Infact first non European to win one since 2010.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
The NextGen Draw Party will go down as one of the most cringy events in tennis history. Not an auspicious start to the whole thing.

saivet

The NextGen Draw Party will go down as one of the most cringy events in tennis history. Not an auspicious start to the whole thing.
Just looked it up and talk about trying too hard!

Group A looks interesting I think. Won't watch much of it, but hope to watch at least one match to see how the rules for the tournament are implemented.

wr8_utd

:'(
Just looked it up and talk about trying too hard!

Group A looks interesting I think. Won't watch much of it, but hope to watch at least one match to see how the rules for the tournament are implemented.
This will be available on Amazon right?

saivet

I'm off ill from work today, I guess I will see how the next gen tournament starts shortly.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
The coaching is fecking cringey. It's a dozen variations of the coach saying "try to play well, don't suck", what a waste of time and ressources... the Shorter sets and no ad-scoring are also bullshit. Still like the shot clock.
They tried the no-let-stuff a couple of years ago at some team exhibition and it was just a source of confusion.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
McFederer hitting forehand winners in a kilt he borrowed from an older lady in the audience. What a sight. :lol:

Giggsy92

Can't believe Roger didn't let Sir Andy win... Hard to judge too much from an exhibition but Murray looked a pretty long way off full fitness, hope he's ready for Australia.

saivet

Group A/Pete Sampras - Rafael Nadal, Dominic Thiem, Grigor Dimitrov, David Goffin

Group B/Boris Becker - Roger Federer, Alexander Zverev, Marin Cilic, Jack Sock

Still not convinced Nadal will play and if he does make it through the tournament.

jem

The mens game is in disarray at the moment. It needs a young Nadal, Djokovic or Murray desperately. Aged 19/20/21 they would have been gobbling up circus events like the one in Paris this week. It really makes you appreciate (if you didn't already) how brilliant they were for the game.
Or a young Federer perhaps?

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Group A/Pete Sampras - Rafael Nadal, Dominic Thiem, Grigor Dimitrov, David Goffin

Group B/Boris Becker - Roger Federer, Alexander Zverev, Marin Cilic, Jack Sock

Still not convinced Nadal will play and if he does make it through the tournament.
Am not familiar with the tournament, but what are Sampras and Becker about? /edit: ah, those are actually group names...any particular reason why those two?

saivet

Am not familiar with the tournament, but what are Sampras and Becker about? /edit: ah, those are actually group names...any particular reason why those two?
Fairly random I believe. Think they just get two legends who are available to participate.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Incredible year for a 36 year old. Possibly the best ever for any player 35 over above.

The sort of thing that firmly entrenches his GOAT status.

Last edited:

maba723

likes bananas a bit too much
I have to say I'm enjoying these new test rules. I hope they implement them in the tour. Maybe without the shorter sets. The deciding point(no adv) system will help end games and sets quicker

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I have to say I'm enjoying these new test rules. I hope they implement them in the tour. Maybe without the shorter sets. The deciding point(no adv) system will help end games and sets quicker
And why would we want that? There are few things more exciting and dramatic than a 6+ deuce game, each point adding more pressure and tension. These are often the highlights of matches and to me, the Milan tournament felt a bit flat party because of that rule. It sucks so much thrill out of it.
It looks like that rule is designed to streamline tennis for ADHD sufferers and pump more players per day into court and tv schedules. feck that.

I have changed my mind a bit about the headset coaching stuff, not all that shitty.

The shotclock is a must!

Last edited:

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Federer takes the opening set at the O2 6:4.

Tennis TV commentator mentioned a stat that showed that on average over the entire season no player, not even Nadal, had more revolutions on their top spin forehand than Sock (3265 rpm to Nadal's 3237). Never would've guessed, but his forehand truly is wicked. If only his backhand didn't suck...

Edit: Sock leads 3:2 on serve in the 2nd and he's serving bullets right now. At 40:0 (all first serves on the line) he just hit a let 2nd serve "ace" at 139 mph :lol:

Last edited:

jem

And why would we want that? There are few things more exciting and dramatic than a 6+ deuce game, each point adding more pressure and tension. These are often the highlights of matches and to me, the Milan tournament felt a bit flat party because of that rule. It sucks so much thrill out of it.
It looks like that rule is designed to streamline tennis for ADHD sufferers and pump more players per day into court and tv schedules. feck that.

I have changed my mind a bit about the headset coaching stuff, not all that shitty.

The shotclock is a must!
The shotclock is the only change I like (and I'm a biased Federer fan, so take that with a grain of salt.)

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
30:30 at 5:4 in the third for Dimitrow on his own serve, absolutely cracking match at the moment. High quality from both, one great rally after the other.
Break point Thiem now. I want a Tie-Break :drool:

Thiem does break and immediately bottles it with a couple double faults. Broken to 0. Disappointing climax this if Dimitrow manages to finish it.

The shotclock is the only change I like (and I'm a biased Federer fan, so take that with a grain of salt.)
So am I, but I don't see how bias comes into it. There is a rule and it's just not enforced, and when it is, it's subjectively influenced by the refs. So either do away with the rule (which would open the door to all kinds of gamesmanship) or finally introduce a fecking clock to enforce it objectively and consistently. Doesn't matter if its 25 or 35 seconds or whatever.

Giggsy92

Some quality choking on show today. Didn't think the end of Thiem vs Dimitrov could be topped but Goffin is doing his best, this should have been over ages ago.

Bojan11

Why did Nadal even play this tournament?

He struggles here when fully fit never mind when he’s half fit.

Bojan11

Credit to Nadal there saving three match points. But Goffin is trying his best to choke it.

Enigma_87

You know who
Credit to Nadal there saving three match points. But Goffin is trying his best to choke it.
And again in the TB with a double fault. 7th I think...

Would love Federer to meet this Nadal. Would put the icing on the cake this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.