Tennis 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

wr8_utd

:'(
Goffin choking vs than Berdych ever has.

And again in the TB with a double fault. 7th I think...

Would love Federer to meet this Nadal. Would put the icing on the cake this year.
Nadal probably won't even appear for the 2nd match at this rate. He's clearly struggling and probably only turned up because of how big this tournament is. Moya said if it was the beginning of the year and any other tournament, he'd have skipped it.

wr8_utd

On what basis does Federer ever get the Sportsmanship award is something I've never understood. He's the least "sportsmanship" worthy of the award of Nadal, Djoko and himself. I know the entire tennis community is one massive Fed wankfest but sportsmanship is one thing he really should not be getting. Comeback of the year is well deserved.

wr8_utd

Goffin with the break. Just hope he doesn't choke it away and make this yet another long drawn out set. A tough, long 3 setter is exactly what Nadal didn't need and is exactly what he's gotten. I really hope he just withdraws ahead of the next match. Ruining his prep for next season over this tournament isn't worth it. His body hasn't been able to handle the post USO swing when he was young and it's not going to do it now when he's 30+ (despite how good he was in China)

Enigma_87

You know who
Nadal probably won't even appear for the 2nd match at this rate. He's clearly struggling and probably only turned up because of how big this tournament is. Moya said if it was the beginning of the year and any other tournament, he'd have skipped it.
Well he wants to win and is the only big tournament he hasn't won so he'll stick around I guess. Especially with couple of months worth of rest coming up. It's his last chance to win it IMO in this depleted field...

wr8_utd

Well he wants to win and is the only big tournament he hasn't won so he'll stick around I guess. Especially with couple of months worth of rest coming up. It's his last chance to win it IMO in this depleted field...
No chance at all. With his China form, it was a possiblity and even then he'd lose to Fed. Since the end of the semi in China, the final vs Fed and Paris, he's just completely struggled with his knee. I think the only reason he came to London was because of how big this tournament is, being #1 and just respecting the tournament. He's not fit to compete and it's showing. Its almost as bad as the end of his match in Paris. I'll be shocked if he played the 2nd match tbh.

PS: Double break for Goffin.

Enigma_87

You know who
No chance at all. With his China form, it was a possiblity and even then he'd lose to Fed. Since the end of the semi in China, the final vs Fed and Paris, he's just completely struggled with his knee. I think the only reason he came to London was because of how big this tournament is, being #1 and just respecting the tournament. He's not fit to compete and it's showing. Its almost as bad as the end of his match in Paris. I'll be shocked if he played the 2nd match tbh.

PS: Double break for Goffin.
Rafa pulled one back. Entertaining match.

wr8_utd

Rafa pulled one back. Entertaining match.
Goffin has made this entertaining really :lol: Can't believe he's made this such a long match. It should have been over an hour ago. He's serving for it now. Wonder how many DFs in this game.

Enigma_87

You know who
Goffin has made this entertaining really :lol: Can't believe he's made this such a long match. It should have been over an hour ago. He's serving for it now. Wonder how many DFs in this game.
0-15 :lol:

would be fun to end in another tie breaker.

Enigma_87

You know who
Not this time. Goffin seals it.

Would be interesting match against Thiem next. A must win for Nadal.

wr8_utd

When it went to 0-15 I thought he's going to bottle it again. Congratulations to Goffin, biggest win of his career.

Supremely proud of Nadal. Down and out, struggling with the knee and yet puts in a lion hearted performance like that. There just is not one fighter in the sport like him, not even Novak. Hope we won't see him again till Australia now though.

wr8_utd

Busta and Querrey are backups. Would be a pity and really crap tourno.
It's going to happen. It's been a shitty quality tennis season all year tbh. Tennis fans in general have been happy as NAdal and Fed swept the Slams but its been an awful year of tennis and the lack of quality has been shocking. We need Murray, Stan and Djoko back next year.

Bojan11

Busta and Querrey are backups. Would be a pity and really crap tourno.
So what?

Nadals health is more important. It’s not adding fun to the tournament when he’s playing on one leg unless you are a diehard Federer fan who enjoys that sort of stuff.

Enigma_87

You know who
So what?

Nadals health is more important. It’s not adding fun to the tournament when he’s playing on one leg unless you are a diehard Federer fan who enjoys that sort of stuff.
Yeah of course, but it would be a pity for the tournament to lose the 2nd best player at the moment. It would be pretty underwhelming semis with guys like Busta or Thiem in it.

Let's see if it is his knee or something else tho.

Also, PCB, Goffin and Thiem in a WTF lineup :lol: :lol:
Delpo at least should be there. Could've been a great final with Federer if it happened.

wr8_utd

Yeah of course, but it would be a pity for the tournament to lose the 2nd best player at the moment. It would be pretty underwhelming semis with guys like Busta or Thiem in it.

Let's see if it is his knee or something else tho.

Delpo at least should be there. Could've been a great final with Federer if it happened.
Del Po messed up his chance in Paris but yes wish he was there. He's the only big name other than Rafa and Fed and the only one actually capable of beating Fed. The rest of this tournament is now a disaster with Nadal out. Audiences aren't going to be happy this time.

InfiniteBoredom

On what basis does Federer ever get the Sportsmanship award is something I've never understood. He's the least "sportsmanship" worthy of the award of Nadal, Djoko and himself. I know the entire tennis community is one massive Fed wankfest but sportsmanship is one thing he really should not be getting. Comeback of the year is well deserved.
Not taking forever to serve, which annoy the shit out of opponents, for one.

The guys being on the tour, sharing the dressing room with him all year round have consistently vouched for him in that regard, so if you have a problem with that it's just your bitterness acting up again.

Hope Nadal didn't aggravate his knee with the match today. Have a feeling Fed will be off the boil next year so if Nadal is injured as well then we might have literally no one left to watch with Murray and Djokovic still uncertain.

wr8_utd

Not taking forever to serve, which annoy the shit out of opponents, for one.

The guys being on the tour, sharing the dressing room with him all year round have consistently vouched for him in that regard, so if you have a problem with that it's just your bitterness acting up again.

Hope Nadal didn't aggravate his knee with the match today. Have a feeling Fed will be off the boil next year so if Nadal is injured as well then we might have literally no one left to watch with Murray and Djokovic still uncertain.
Nadal will be fine. A 2 month break is what he needs. He's played way way too much tennis this year. Also, hopefully Djoko is back to his best next season.

InfiniteBoredom

Nadal will be fine. A 2 month break is what he needs. He's played way way too much tennis this year. Also, hopefully Djoko is back to his best next season.
On that one I'd agree. With the way this year panned out he's dropped off the GOAT conversation a bit but for me that guy is every bit as good as Nadal and deserves to finish his career with the same amount of Slams if not more. It'd be a shame if personal issues/lack of motivation have already ended his peak.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
The Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship award is voted by the ATP players from the nominees. The award goes to the player who, throughout the year, conducted himself at the highest level of professionalism and integrity, who competed with his fellow players with the utmost spirit of fairness and who promoted the game through his off-court activities.

Now I also see how Fed was not a Player of the Year. Which is just silly.

The ATP Player of the Year award is presently given to the player who ends the year as world No. 1 in the ATP Singles Rankings.[1] In earlier years, this was not explicitly the case as the 1976, 1977, 1978, 1982 and 1989 the Players of the Year named by the ATP (listed below) did not have the number 1 ranking based on the ATP's point system at the end of that particular year. In those years, the number one ranking was held by Jimmy Connors (1976-78), John McEnroe (1982) and Ivan Lendl (1989).

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Also, PCB, Goffin and Thiem in a WTF lineup :lol: :lol:
Thiem was there last year. Whats your beef with him?
Nadal doing a Murray light, though not as Severe. Still, he couldve just pulled out...

MuranoLover

Why did he even go to the tourney , it was so obvious he is not in good health and just took the chance of the 1st reserve to win the 1st match also ? Totally unfair

saivet

Why did he even go to the tourney , it was so obvious he is not in good health and just took the chance of the 1st reserve to win the 1st match also ? Totally unfair
Yep, I'm sure PCB is raging about it.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Federer crumbling in the tie break right now, 0:4. He's not looking sharp today and Zverev's playing and serving really well.

Giggsy92

It's not like PCB would have won last night anyway, he's barely beaten a single decent player outside of a clay court all season.

Good comeback from Fed in that tiebreak but he's shaky off the ground tonight, hasn't really got going yet this week. Zverev's forehand always looks a bit dodgy.

Enigma_87

You know who
It's not like PCB would have won last night anyway, he's barely beaten a single decent player outside of a clay court all season.

Good comeback from Fed in that tiebreak but he's shaky off the ground tonight, hasn't really got going yet this week. Zverev's forehand always looks a bit dodgy.
Wonder how Cilic will look against him. Agree that Fed is looking shaky and maybe a little bit rusty. Indoors is not the best conditions for Zverev, but he's doing pretty well.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Wonder how Cilic will look against him. Agree that Fed is looking shaky and maybe a little bit rusty. Indoors is not the best conditions for Zverev, but he's doing pretty well.
While his forehand is shaky as hell, his defense is amazing at times for a guy his size.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
What a strange match. Federer is mishitting left and right yet somehow ends up to win a lot of these points.

Enigma_87

You know who
While his forehand is shaky as hell, his defense is amazing at times for a guy his size.
The next number 1 after the big four retire probably. He has got the mentality needs to mature a bit.

Wouldn't write him off for a serious slam challenge next year as soon as the AO kicks in.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Federer's baseline game is so dull today. On the other side of the net, Zverev can't really deal with the slice properly.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Shocking stuff from Federer.
He's gonna lose this comfortably in the third if he doesn't raise his level significantly. Worst he's played since Montreal.

Zen

If Federer's playing shocking and is currently winning....I don't want to know the standards that Zverev is playing at. Haha...legit not watching. Just checked the score update.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
If Federer's playing shocking and is currently winning....I don't want to know the standards that Zverev is playing at. Haha...legit not watching. Just checked the score update.
Zverev went off the boil in the 3rd and Federer recovered a little, but at the tail end of the 2nd set Federer played horribly.
Both players had nightmarish spells, Zverev's now being the worst. Four errors from 15:40 to gift Federer the double break. Not a high quality match sadly, the worst of the tournament so far (couldn't see Nadal - Goffin). :(

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Such a good match!

Bojan11

PCB is delighted. He’s made £145,000 and has a chance to get £191,000 more if he beats Thiem.

Status
Not open for further replies.