Tennis 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweet Square

A bit reminiscent of the Charlie Hebdo situation. I didn't care for the cartoon itself but there should be some degree of latitude for cartoonists to maintain their creative license to offend.
I can some latitude when it comes to the depiction of Serena although you would think a cartoonist would have some knowledge of the racist stereotypes in particular that of black women(Maybe he does but simply doesn't care). But the Osaka depiction is straight up racist, I image the more troubling part was that it wasn't a active choice to whitewash Osaka more than the cartoonist clearly hadn't watch the match and thus could have only image the one person who could beat Serena had to be skinny blonde haired fictional white women.

I've not really seen the news so I'm not sure what people are saying but it seems to be the common respond of newspaper prints racist cartoon, people criticise the cartoon. There's no need for government involvement or for the newspaper to be forced to take down the cartoon. It's just another reminder of one of the many many reasons why people shouldn't buy a Rupert Murdoch owned paper.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The Serena incident should be a wake up call for both the ATP and WTA to get on board by streamlining the rules regarding warnings. Both should come up with rigid policies about how much discretion chair umpires have in giving coaching ,racket abuse, and insult warnings.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

I don't get how this that cartoon is "satire". Satire needs to involve some kind of irony, like Catch-22 or A Modest Proposal. That cartoon was just a lazy (and very probably racist) caricature. Is the cover trying to say a PC world will have better humour standards?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't get how this that cartoon is "satire". Satire needs to involve some kind of irony, like Catch-22 or A Modest Proposal. That cartoon was just a lazy (and very probably racist) caricature. Is the cover trying to say a PC world will have better humour standards?
Its broader than just that. It can also be used as a device for social critique to illuminate or mock power or abuses (among other things).

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
That is one disgusting racist depiction of Serena and Osaka.
Why on earth is Osaka identified as a 'blonde'?

As a mixed race woman, that comes across to me as Serena being the typical 'angry, aggressive black woman', whilst Osaka is the docile 'ladylike' 'blonde' version. Apparently blondes never get angry:rolleyes:.

I believe Serena should have behaved better no doubt (even though she's absolutely correct on the double standards), but unless you're a woman of colour, you cannot understand the subtle undermining that you experience. If you stand up for yourself, you're called 'aggressive' (even if you're right). In this respect, I completely understand her frustration bubbling over.

I think Serena was wrong in her approach, but this offensive cartoon pic makes me support her more.

Skills

Snitch
That is one disgusting racist depiction of Serena and Osaka.
Why on earth is Osaka identified as a 'blonde'?

As a mixed race woman, that comes across to me as Serena being the typical 'angry, aggressive black woman', whilst Osaka is the docile 'ladylike' 'blonde' version. Apparently blondes never get angry:rolleyes:.

I believe Serena should have behaved better no doubt (even though she's absolutely correct on the double standards), but unless you're a woman of colour, you cannot understand the subtle undermining that you experience. If you stand up for yourself, you're called 'aggressive' (even if you're right). In this respect, I completely understand her frustration bubbling over.

I think Serena was wrong in her approach, but this offensive cartoon pic makes me support her more.
What double standards?

Jazz

What double standards?
What do you mean?:confused:

Current male tennis players have said far worse and not been docked points. They are countless examples of this.

Skills

Snitch

Current male tennis players have said far worse and not been docked points. They are countless examples of this.
Where are the countless examples?

Someone here though has posted many examples of the same umpire, officiating the men just as strictly though. The top men's players are fortunately far more classier individuals than Serena Williams.

InfiniteBoredom

I don’t recall players getting away with calling umpires thieves, at least not in recent memory?

The only contentious of the 3 offenses was the first one. You can definitely say the umpire was overly officious but he had form with male players like Nadal or Nole so it can hardly be called double standards.

Jazz

Where are the countless examples?

Someone here though has posted many examples of the same umpire, officiating the men just as strictly though. The top men's players are fortunately far more classier individuals than Serena Williams.
You can do your own research.

R.E.D.

When you say a lot of male player said worse things and got away with it that means no woman has ever done those things and got away with it. The truth is a lot of players male or female have gotten away with things like that.

That is the thing about the laws that allow referees to make objective decisions. In football something might happen and a referee decides that he should uses his red card while another referee might think that a yellow card is enough. Maybe the same referee who used the red card won't even blow his whistle on a same exact incident 10 minutes later. That is because we are human beings, on different occasions we may decide different things. There are areas in tennis or football where a referee might make an objective decision. That is not about sexism. If that match had another umpire but Ramos he might handled things differently, exactly like how a lot of women get away with stuff, if that match happened on a different time Ramos himself might handled things differently.

Serena calling him a sexist was an attack to his character, she owe him an apology because she didn't make it about the decision she made it about his character. And even had she made that about the decision she hadn't the right to poison the atmosphere because Carlos Ramos did not do anything wrong.

And also there was a statistics on the amount of code violation given to players on us open. The umpires had given like more than 80 to men and 22 to women.

Sweet Square

Doesn’t change the fact that Stephen A is spot on here.
I was agreeing with the video which is I why quote it.

The part about ''people clearly haven't watched a lot of tennis before'' was me complaining about the reaction from certain parts of social media(Although I can see my post made it seems a bit confusing, my bad)

Jazz

I've not gone through the whole thread, but there does appear to be examples of inconsistency to support your point.
How so? Says there Novak didn't get docked a point even though he was arguing with the umpire as Serena did.

Jazz

I don’t recall players getting away with calling umpires thieves, at least not in recent memory?

The only contentious of the 3 offenses was the first one. You can definitely say the umpire was overly officious but he had form with male players like Nadal or Nole so it can hardly be called double standards.
Maybe not called a thief but remember Fognini calling an umpire a prostitute (that's the 'polite' interpretation as well). He rightly got kicked out of the tournament.

James Blake has admitted he's gotten away with saying worst things.

At Wimbledon Novak pretty much told the umpire to tell the crowd to shut the feck up. At a Masters tournament he said to someone in the crowd (in Serbian mind you) to suck my d**k. In another tournament in Rome he shoved an umpire. I may be wrong but I don't think he got a warning for that.

Nadal has twice threatened two umpires in the recent past that they won't be in charge of his games after he got pissed with them. I remember him being threatening to an umpire at Wimbledon I believe when his Uncle Tony got called out for coaching. No points docked.

Even my fave Federer had a moment some years back during a changeover arguing with the ref and tossing some F bombs into the conversation.

The point is I don't recall these incidents invoking nothing more than a warning. I certainly would be shocked if any of Roger, Rafa or Novak got docked a point in a Grand Slam final.

At the end of the day, none of their behaviour is any good including Serena's, but why give her the full penalty, in a crucial moment of a match of that magnitude when there isn't any precedent for it happening before? In my opinion, that's a double standard.

Perhaps the tennis association should look at how rules are applied and ensure there is consistency. Then there won't be any ambiguities.

saivet

How so? Says there Novak didn't get docked a point even though he was arguing with the umpire as Serena did.
Yeah exactly - I thought you said there was inconsistency with umpiring? I was supporting that point rather than arguing against it.

Jazz

Yeah exactly - I thought you said there was inconsistency with umpiring? I was supporting that point rather than arguing against it.
Sorry pal. Completely misinterpreted your post.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

What men tennis players have had three instances of petulant transgressions and not been penalised for it? Fact is the top men's players are just better behaved. When they want they tend to do it once or twice and move on. Serena's behaviour was pathetic and I'm glad there's enough people calling her out for the spoilt brat she was on the night and the fake equality fight she was apparently fighting. Bollocks. She was getting outplayed and her uncontrollable ego couldn't take being disciplined and playing by the rules. I'm glad Ramos put her in her place. I'm a huge Federer fan but he behaves like a tosser I hope Ramos penalises him too. feck this entitlement.

amolbhatia50k

I have to admit I'm highly amused by this clip. So many similarities. I saw it when the event occurred but had forgotten the nuances.

Threatening the linesman once you get disciplined.
Intimidating the officials.
The "are you scared?" is particularly weird.
The same two officials having to come down and deal with her shit.
The "I DIDNT SAY THAT".
The "OTHERS HAVE DONE WAY WORSE".

Look, racism and sexism exists. But don't use it as a card for your own benefit. It's classless and pathetic.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I have around admit I'm highly amused by this clip. So many similarities. I saw it when the event occurred but had forgotten the nuances.

Threatening the linesman once you get disciplined.
Intimidating the officials.
The "are you scared?" is particularly weird.
The same two officials having to come down and deal with her shit.
The "I DIDNT SAY THAT".
The "OTHERS HAVE DONE WAY WORSE".

Look racism and sexism exists. But don't use it as a card for your own benefit. It's classless and pathetic.
Just before Serena walks over the tournament ref asks the lineswoman "what did she say"? and the lineswoman says "She said I'll kill you".

Drainy

I've not gone through the whole thread, but there does appear to be examples of inconsistency to support your point.
Williams berated the umpire a lot and didn't get a warning. He actually put up with a lot of shit until the line was crossed when she called the umpire a thief.

incident btw:

Arguing wasn't the problem.

amolbhatia50k

Williams berated the umpire a lot and didn't get a warning. He actually put up with a lot of shit until the line was crossed when she called the umpire a thief.

incident btw:

Arguing wasn't the problem.
Precisely. Besides I'm sure there are other examples of women also getting away with stuff. The point is that a she committed offenses and got rightfully penalised. As male players have. She actually doesn't have a point at all unless one really really wants to believe she does.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Also, I find Serena's whataboutism points that "McEnroe and others did it back in the day, therefore I should be able to do whatever I want" argument a bit unconvincing. If anything, this is an opportunity for Tennis to clean up its act with rogue players derailing matches with their behavior.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Serena was out of order but I don't agree that calling ref a "thief" was such a shot across the line that he could not have ignored it. Get her fined after the fact if needed but escalating things to the point of having to give a game violation in a final was stupid. Especially when the ref started the whole thing with a pointless call over coaching. Serena reacted to that with anger which is normal when you are in such a high pressure situation in a very high stakes sports match. We need less refs who see such big events as an opportunity to act as the big guy. Stay in background and try to facilitate the contest as fairly as possible. Getting called a thief is not a good enough reason to ruin a GS final.

Bojan11

Serena was out of order but I don't agree that calling ref a "thief" was such a shot across the line that he could not have ignored it. Get her fined after the fact if needed but escalating things to the point of having to give a game violation in a final was stupid. Especially when the ref started the whole thing with a pointless call over coaching. Serena reacted to that with anger which is normal when you are in such a high pressure situation in a very high stakes sports match. We need less refs who see such big events as an opportunity to act as the big guy. Stay in background and try to facilitate the contest as fairly as possible. Getting called a thief is not a good enough reason to ruin a GS final.
Pointless call?

crappycraperson

Scout
Pointless call?
Yes it was pointless, I doubt there would have been howls of cheating if in any GS final a coaching signal was given and even acted on. It is akin to a ref giving a yellow card in WC final for a soft foul and ruining the intensity of the game.

The whole rule is bizarre anyway. If people wanted to cheat via coaching signals in a match they would just come up with less obvious signs that ones that can get you infracted. I have seen likes of Djoko, Nadal and Murray look to their boxes countless times in big games when they are up against it, how are you even going to litigate if they are getting just encouragement or any secret coaching signal?

crappycraperson

Scout
I think Tennis needs to get over the victorian era hangover. Who cares if players are breaking racquets on court? All the talk of trying to be good role models is mind-boggling. You need more passion in Tennis not just robots who play out each match, shake hands after a result and make a merry exit. There are lines that you can not allow players to cross but I find it beyond belief that anyone can claim that all three of Serena's offences in the final - so called coaching signal that she did not see, breaking a racquet, calling ref a thief - warranted a ruination of marquee event. A bunch of dinosaurs are still enforcing rules, that are applicable to a rich folk's pass time rather than a global sport where people from all background aspire to compete.

I am glad we have had characters like Ganguly, Warne, Kohli etc in cricket to challenge the narrative of it being a "gentleman's game" and get rid of its own colonial hangover. Tennis needs to move forward in that regard, not backwards.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yeah lets change the sport to validate one person after a narcissistic meltdown in front of the world.
Tennis has been the wild west in terms of meltdowns over the years. Hers is just the tip of the iceberg, that because of the intense coverage its received, could be used to reinforce some basic rules so future incidents are curtailed before they spiral out of control.

Drainy

Tennis has been the wild west in terms of meltdowns over the years. Hers is just the tip of the iceberg, that because of the intense coverage its received, could be used to reinforce some basic rules so future incidents are curtailed before they spiral out of control.
I actually agree, they should be stricter on tantrums. That umpire was being abused for a long time before he finally gave her the violation. Noone should have to put up with that.

In all serious, in terms of coaching, it is a silly rule and should probably be changed along with whatever stupid rule was broken because a woman was in her sports bra. Smashing a racket and abusing the umpires aren't in the same bracket and shouldn't be touched just because Serena says so.

shaky

You wouldn't be sympathetic with a player getting a second yellow card for abusing the referee in football, you'd call him an idiot. Even if a lot of the time it goes unpunished, the fact that they knew the risk is enough, and you'd demand they controlled their temper better. You wouldn't blame the ref for ruining the cup final, or call conspiracy, or argue that players should be allowed to abuse the refs. I honestly don't understand why so many people are fighting Serena's corner in this.

crappycraperson

Scout
You wouldn't be sympathetic with a player getting a second yellow card for abusing the referee in football, you'd call him an idiot. Even if a lot of the time it goes unpunished, the fact that they knew the risk is enough, and you'd demand they controlled their temper better. You wouldn't blame the ref for ruining the cup final, or call conspiracy, or argue that players should be allowed to abuse the refs. I honestly don't understand why so many people are fighting Serena's corner in this.
I won't be fine with a ref giving player a second yellow card for abuse in a WC final and sending him off. Giving one for a bad foul or dangerous play is fine but abuse part can be ignored as bad as it may be for the ego of the ref. Just because by letter of the law you CAN give some infraction, does not mean you must do it givem the level of abuse is a very subjective issue and not somewhar objective one in case of penalties in football. All this talk of "thief" being the key word is non sense as well. People who are defending the ref now are being dishonest if they are arguing that they would not have defended him for the same action even if Serena had not used "theif".

I am not condoning Serena's behavior but given an explanation that humans at times would react badly in such cases. Expecting perfect behavior from sportsmen in high stakes battle at all time is bizarre. And as already mentioned above, nothing in her behavior warranted ending the match in such circumstances. Not one single offense she was penalized for. That happened not only due to her behavior but due to ref being too big for his shoes to ignore certain things and rules being archaic.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
1. The first one about coaching was a bit harsh from the umpire, but the fact that Patrick admitted it after sort of justifies the call. But warning or no warning, Serena could've simply taken it and marched on to focus on winning the 2nd set. She had not been penalized a point or a game - it was merely a warning.

2. The racket abuse warning was a bit later after she had been stewing about the coaching warning. Instead of letting the first one go, she continued to lose focus which led her to lose the game and break her racket. She seemed to also ignore the fact that she received warning 2 and continued to rant at the umpire for what she thought was him accusing her of cheating.

But still up to that point, she could've simply shut up and refocused herself on winning the set.

3. Finally, with two warnings already active, she continued ranting at the umpire and go the third one.

So whether warning one was legit or not, it was at that point up to Serena to make sure she didn't get warnings 2 and 3. Ultimately, she lost the plot and has only herself to blame for escalating something that could've easily been squashed before it became a bigger issue.
This is such a ridiculous post.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I won't be fine with a ref giving player a second yellow card for abuse in a WC final and sending him off. Giving one for a bad foul or dangerous play is fine but abuse part can be ignored as bad as it may be for the ego of the ref. Just because by letter of the law you CAN give some infraction, does not mean you must do it givem the level of abuse is a very subjective issue and not somewhar objective one in case of penalties in football. All this talk of "thief" being the key word is non sense as well. People who are defending the ref now are being dishonest if they are arguing that they would not have defended him for the same action even if Serena had not used "theif".

I am not condoning Serena's behavior but given an explanation that humans at times would react badly in such cases. Expecting perfect behavior from sportsmen in high stakes battle at all time is bizarre. And as already mentioned above, nothing in her behavior warranted ending the match in such circumstances. Not one single offense she was penalized for. That happened not only due to her behavior but due to ref being too big for his shoes to ignore certain things and rules being archaic.
Thank you, you deserve a plus one for common sense. I'm not condoning Serena's behavior either but this entire 'it's up to her really' is just silly and bizzare.

Status
Not open for further replies.