Tennis 2019

wr8_utd

:'(
Cilic absolutely ball bashing right now and up a break in the second set. As expected, Cilic being the dangerous opponent he can be.

wr8_utd

Cilic 4-1.
Imagine thinking even an out of form Cilic isn't 10x the challenge Goffin is.

wr8_utd

Cilic holds again. 5-2
He's absolutely hammering the ball all over the court.

wr8_utd

Cilic wins the set 6-3.
Unless Rafa massively improves his piss poor returns on second serve, he's going to go out here. Letting Cilic completely dominate here.

wr8_utd

Yess! Rafa with an absolutely brilliant game to finally break. He's really upped his level this set.

wr8_utd

6-1 Rafa! Best tennis I've seen him play all year and he needed to given how well Cilic had been playing.

wr8_utd

Will there ever be a day when you grow up, and stop crying?
Well, I was told it takes a lot of twists and turns to come to the conclusion that Rafa's got a far harder path the semis here. It's something that was debated 24 hours ago.
Also if you have an issue with my views, feel free to use the ignore button :)

wr8_utd

Rafa with the early break. An attacking Rafa is an absolute joy to watch. Taking the game out of Cilic's hands right now.

wr8_utd

Rafa with the double break and that should be that.
This has been a great test ahead of the deeper stages of the tournament. He needed someone to give him a game the way Cilic has done.
Also no male player has ever won the title without dropping a set apparently so good to get that out of the way :lol:

NK86

Cilic 4-1.
Imagine thinking even an out of form Cilic isn't 10x the challenge Goffin is.
Weren't you the one who said Goffin will be a tough test for Roger and may cause him trouble?

wr8_utd

Weren't you the one who said Goffin will be a tough test for Roger and may cause him trouble?
He's a decent player but I forgot this isn't clay where his complete lack of a serve (like Kei) won't give him a chance vs Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

With how poorly Federer has played this tournament though, Goffin's performance was surprising.

Goffin is a better player to face than someone with a big serve and big shots on hard courts. If you redline like how Cilic did here in set 2 or like Stan did yesterday, you can definitely trouble the very best.

wr8_utd

WOW!! That is absolutely going to go down as the point of the tournament by Rafa. Absolutely unreal!

wr8_utd

Nadal wins in 4 sets. Just completely elevated himself to a completely different level in the final two sets.
Good to see Cilic play like his older self as well. He'll be back up the rankings if he can play like this consistently.

wr8_utd

Federer and Nadal aside, anyone looking at the players left in the last 8 would think they're looking at an ATP 500 lineup here.

NK86

He's a decent player but I forgot this isn't clay where his complete lack of a serve (like Kei) won't give him a chance vs Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

With how poorly Federer has played this tournament though, Goffin's performance was surprising.

Goffin is a better player to face than someone with a big serve and big shots on hard courts. If you redline like how Cilic did here in set 2 or like Stan did yesterday, you can definitely trouble the very best.
Goffin beat Fed last year. Agreed that Cilic is a better player but he has been off form for a while now. Rafa was not going be troubled by the Cilic of this year so far. In any case, Stan will be a much, much tougher test for Federer than Monfils will be for Rafa.

wr8_utd

Goffin beat Fed last year. Agreed that Cilic is a better player but he has been off form for a while now. Rafa was not going be troubled by the Cilic of this year so far. In any case, Stan will be a much, much tougher test for Federer than Monfils will be for Rafa.
Actually Goffin beat Federer 2 years ago in London. I agree though that Stan or Medvedev (who seems to be written off for some reason) will be far bigger tests than Monfils or Bertetini for Rafa if he gets to the semis. Federer though completely owns Stan on hard courts (17-0 H2H)
Nadal's gotten lucky that the other quarter completely opened up with RBA, Nick, Tsitsipas and Thiem all losing.

As for Cilic, despite how off form he's been I knew he'd be a difficult test. The occasion, playing under the lights on Ashe vs Nadal is the kind of occasion that pumps you up and Cilic is someone who has troubled Rafa in the last year or two as well. For two sets today he showed why he's such a dangerous R4 opponent. He was pulverzing the ball till Nadal raised his game even higher.

NK86

Actually Goffin beat Federer 2 years ago in London. I agree though that Stan or Medvedev (who seems to be written off for some reason) will be far bigger tests than Monfils or Bertetini for Rafa if he gets to the semis. Federer though completely owns Stan on hard courts (17-0 H2H)
Nadal's gotten lucky that the other quarter completely opened up with RBA, Nick, Tsitsipas and Thiem all losing.

As for Cilic, despite how off form he's been I knew he'd be a difficult test. The occasion, playing under the lights on Ashe vs Nadal is the kind of occasion that pumps you up and Cilic is someone who has troubled Rafa in the last year or two as well. For two sets today he showed why he's such a dangerous R4 opponent. He was pulverzing the ball till Nadal raised his game even higher.
I agree with all that but on the balance of things how can you argue that Rafa has a tougher route to the final than Roger when Novak was in Roger's half. Also Nadal would have gone past anyone in his half if he is in form especially since he has had their number recently.

wr8_utd

That was a great performance from Nadal....Cilic was good but Schwartzman will be probably a bigger test in the quarter-final.

Andreescu has beaten Townsend and can leave the court at 0.50 am.
The good about playing Diego is that he doesn't have a big serve or huge groundstrokes but he's a big test. He works hard and never gives you an easy match.
He's taken a set off Rafa on both their previous two Slam meetings. It won't be easy for sure.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Stupid night matches, won't be able to see how Dimitrov decimates Federer.

I know the final is at 16:00 local, anyone knows at what times are the semifinals?

saivet

Stupid night matches, won't be able to see how Dimitrov decimates Federer.

I know the final is at 16:00 local, anyone knows at what times are the semifinals?
First semi final at 16.00 local time and the second semi final to follow straight after, so the second match is effectively a night match.

I imagine it will be today's half playing the first semi final too.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Thanks, might make it for first semi, it's only Friday, but doesn't look good for final at 10+ pm for me, with early work on Monday.

saivet

Thanks, might make it for first semi, it's only Friday, but doesn't look good for final at 10+ pm for me, with early work on Monday.
No worries. I've skipped all night session matches apart from last Saturday night and will only watching the men's SF night match on Friday.

Gone are the days where I could watch as much of the US Open as I wanted while still on holiday from uni!

wr8_utd

Medvedev doing his absolute best to gift Stan a break with all these double faults but still leads 4-3 with a break. Hope he can cut it out.

wr8_utd

Stan breaks back and holds. I'm not sure Medvedev will finish this match. He's struggling with his serving and his movement. Foot faults, double faults and not moving well either.

wr8_utd

Somehow, Medvedev wins the set in a tie break. Stan is playing really poorly not to take advantage of all the double faults and issues Med's facing.

Bojan11

Somehow, Medvedev wins the set in a tie break. Stan is playing really poorly not to take advantage of all the double faults and issues Med's facing.
Meds not only one who has issues.

Stan was physically sick after beating Djokovic in the locker room. Maybe he was sick due to the reaction the crowd showed. But he cancelled a few press interviews.

saivet

I put this match on earlier and I saw strapping on Medvedev's arm, thigh and calf, he was barely moving yet he's now a set up and serving for the second set?

wr8_utd

Meds not only one who has issues.

Stan was physically sick after beating Djokovic in the locker room. Maybe he was sick due to the reaction the crowd showed. But he cancelled a few press interviews.
Stan put up a post saying he's absolutely fine. He's just been poor.
I put this match on earlier and I saw strapping on Medvedev's arm, thigh and calf, he was barely moving yet he's now a set up and serving for the second set?
Stan has been woeful and Medvedev, despite his troubles, has been mature enough to take his chances.[/QUOTE]

wr8_utd

Rather annoying set that for Medvedev. One loose game of consecutive DF's and he loses it. Was extremely comfortable on serve other than that and had a lot of chances to break back when Stan served for the set. 4th set it is now.
Med really needs to finish it off this set if he's to have a chance in the semis with his fitness levels.

Brophs

The One and Only
Great stuff from Medvedev albeit I was a bit surprised just how loose Stan was. Very unlike him at this stage of a slam. Medvedev is absolutely in the mix for this now, if he isn’t physically shot.