Tennis 2019

wr8_utd

:'(
Great stuff from Medvedev albeit I was a bit surprised just how loose Stan was. Very unlike him at this stage of a slam. Medvedev is absolutely in the mix for this now, if he isn’t physically shot.
I'm not surprised by how Stan was. He's not been close to his best for a while and he only beat Djokovic because he was struggling himself.
Medvedev is in great form and the superior player right now.
He finally gets 2 days off to rest now.

Bojan11

Don’t know why Medvedev is apologising to the crowd because when he plays Fed it’s going to be the worst it’s ever been for him.

wr8_utd

Don’t know why Medvedev is apologising to the crowd because when he plays Fed it’s going to be the worst it’s ever been for him.
Yeah but he couldn't really slam the crowd today. He had to be decent.
If he beats Federer, I'm sure he'll be giving a very different interview :lol:

wr8_utd

Dimitrov throws in 2 DFs in his very first service game and is broken. If this match exceeds 90 mins it'll be quite an achievement.

wr8_utd

Dimi has steadied the ship a bit since the horror start. He's still about to lose the set but he's been better since the horror show to start the match. Federer with 3 set points.

wr8_utd

Wow impressive set from Grigor so far and he's 5-2 up. When he finds a way to return serve and avoid Fed keeping the points short, he's doing well.

wr8_utd

Dimitrov serving for the set and throws a double fault down break point and then goes and breaks Federer in the next game. One set all.

Federer needs to improve a lot if he's to beat Medvedev on Friday.

wr8_utd

Dimitrov has been broken 3 times today. He's double faulted on all 3 of those break points. Federer with a break in the third.

InfiniteBoredom

Fed has played way much more tennis this tournament than he should. If he keeps dropping cheap sets like this it’d be a short affair in semi/final, that is if he even makes it there.

wr8_utd

Dimitrov had 2 break points to break back but didn't make the pass he should have. Federer holds and breaks again to take the third set.
That's probably that. Admirable display from Dimitrov.

wr8_utd

He bottled it. Fed should cruise to the semis now.
He definitely won't cruise into the semis if he keeps playing how he's been playing. Struggling at competing from the baseline.
Dimitrov breaks at the start of the 4th set. This match is so up and down.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
For the last 3 years his US Opens have been like this. Shanks, mishits, unable to hold onto a rally even against nobodies.

wr8_utd

For the last 3 years his US Opens have been like this. Shanks, mishits, unable to hold onto a rally even against nobodies.
I think his body gives up by the end of the year. He's been doing well at AO and Wimbledon so there's no reason for him to play so poorly here.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I think his body gives up by the end of the year. He's been doing well at AO and Wimbledon so there's no reason for him to play so poorly here.
good dropshots here, but every time in the past 2 years he's started spamming dropshots instead of forehands it's a prelude to absolute dogshit play. it's always happened in the US open too. And i agree it's a fitness issue - his footwork deteriorates and some of his volleys (require bending the back) go to shit.

wr8_utd

There's a reason no one has defended the USO since 08. I think everyone struggles physically by the time the USO arrives and Federer being older than the rest, gets affected by this more and his form goes to Shit here in NY.

wr8_utd

6 BPs come and go for Dimitrov. Feel like he's going to regret this game.

wr8_utd

Dimitrov to serve for the set at 5-4. Huge test of his mental strength now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So Federer is out. Number 19 coming up for Nadal then. I didn't expect Federer to win this tournament but losing to Dimitrov, one of the next Gen disappointments, is disappointing.

wr8_utd

Wow Dimitrov has a double break here. Would take an epic choke for him to lose from here now.

wr8_utd

Huge missed opportunity for Federer here. Nadal will get to 20 Slams in 2020
Nadal is in great position to overtake the slam record in 2020.
Nadal won't ever have a better chance to win another USO. Not often that both Djokovic and Federer lose.
That being said, Nadal still needs to win 2 more matches to even get to the final. Medvedev is also in brilliant form. Long long way to go.

Bojan11

Sad to see so many players struggling with injuries at the US open. Seems to have been a reoccurring theme over the last few years.

Nadal will never have a better chance. All the players in the draw are decent players. But if Nadal turns up then there’s only one winner.

wr8_utd

Sad to see so many players struggling with injuries at the US open. Seems to have been a reoccurring theme over the last few years.

Nadal will never have a better chance. All the players in the draw are decent players. But if Nadal turns up then there’s only one winner.
The tour is skewed towards hard courts and they take quite a toll on the body. That combined with the fact that the USO comes at the end of a year, its no surprise you see so many injuries every year.

The Firestarter

And I decided it's pointless to watch since there is no chance he will beat Roger. Need to watch the replay now...

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Nadal first to break Fed’s record? Djoko to follow. Wow.