Tennis 2019

Brophs

The One and Only
56 minutes.

Jesus fecking Christ. The equal pay debate will rise on. Take in consideration the first set in the second semi final lasted that long last night.

I’m sure Tomic is going to use that final as example as to why he shouldn’t be fined all his prize money.
Picking out a really short match as an excuse to make what would be to me a completely backward rule would be wildly stupid.

As for Tomic using that match....I'll just refer back to my "wildly stupid" remark above.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nadal got asked whether him playing in Court 1 while Ashley Bartey the number 1 woman's player (didn't even fecking know who she was tbh) should have to play on court 2. Journalist got the appropriate answer to a nonsensical question :lol:

kidbob

God Williams is a fraud of a GOAT player, the minute the field caught up physically she is a joke contender. She is present day Ronaldo put into 1960s football. Glad Graff will carry on as the real GOAT.

As for equal play Djoko was correct if you want the same pay then play 5 sets. Today it only would have meant an hour instead of 45 mins considering that the better tennis players can now match Serena's physicality. Will never forgive her encouragement of the US crowd to hate in Osaka. She's the same as Federer humble in victory and a bitch in defeat. Never forget Roger labelling Nova's return in the US open on match point as "lucky" even though he was facing who was already the best returner of all time.

Brophs

The One and Only
God Williams is a fraud of a GOAT player, the minute the field caught up physically she is a joke contender. She is present day Ronaldo put into 1960s football. Glad Graff will carry on as the real GOAT.

As for equal play Djoko was correct if you want the same pay then play 5 sets. Today it only would have meant an hour instead of 45 mins considering that the better tennis players can now match Serena's physicality. Will never forgive her encouragement of the US crowd to hate in Osaka. She's the same as Federer humble in victory and a bitch in defeat. Never forget Roger labelling Nova's return in the US open on match point as "lucky" even though he was facing who was already the best returner of all time.
The WTA have offered to play 5 sets and the 4 Grand Slams have refused, from memory.

Brophs

The One and Only
That's fair enough, I hadn't heard that. They should have to play 5 sets to be honest.
Maybe. I’m not bothered really. I think the 5 set argument is somewhat artificial. Supporters don’t pay by the minute or have an entitlement to a base level of entertainment. But I’d certainly be interested to see how playing 5 sets affects the women’s game, if at all.

Nuts

If equal pay happens then women should have to play the same amount of sets (finals or otherwise) as men do. I think its possible but somehow I don't think it will happen.
Why should they have to? Because you require them to play for exactly the same time as men?

A best of 3 sets match can easily outlast a best of 5 sets match.

Carolina Red

Staff
What's wrong with that? Fed is the 'GOAT' because of his titles so why is Graff any different?
Well, if you’re going off that... Serena > Graf right off the bat.

Secondly, had Seles not been stabbed...

Thirdly, the field had to catch up to Graff also.

Fourthly, Graf retired at 30 to get married and have kids. Serena has won 10 grand slams after turning 30, won the 2017 Australian Open while 8-9 weeks pregnant, and has made grand slam finals since almost dying during child birth.

Fifthly (is that a word?), Serena not only passed Graf’s all time slam total, she also won 8 slam finals in a row, surpassing Graf’s record of 7 and tying Pete Sampras.

So yeah... I honestly expected some white text.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why should they have to? Because you require them to play for exactly the same time as men?

A best of 3 sets match can easily outlast a best of 5 sets match.
We're talking about equality here. If both sides want equal pay they should perform the same amount work.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Fourthly, Graf retired at 30 to get married and have kids. Serena has won 10 grand slams after turning 30, won the 2017 Australian Open while 8-9 weeks pregnant, and has made grand slam finals since almost dying during child birth.

Fifthly (is that a word?), Serena not only passed Graf’s all time slam total, she also won 8 slams in a row, surpassing Graf’s record of 7.

Often left out of the discussion is that the Williams sisters at one point quit tennis to pursue their fashion interests then came back and took over again. Also, Serena's pregnancy kept her out for a good bit.

kidbob

Fifthly (is that a word?), Serena not only passed Graf’s all time slam total, she also won 8 slams in a row, surpassing Graf’s record of 7.

Shit man, my sincerest apologies I meant Margaret Court! The 'reason' Fed is the goat is because of GS titles mostly in the argument. Until Serena surpasses Court she isn't the GOAT even though she is incredible (I never meant to sound dismissive of her). This is just the general take on GOAT talk in tennis.

my mind Serena was a physical freak who overpowered many women until women who could handle her power came along. I have never thought her 'tennis' was necessarily the best just that she had a great power advantage over the field. Now she is incredible but if we are going to apply the men's "GOAT" conversation to the women's field then Court is the GOAT until Serena wins 1 more slam. Stupid as it may seem we need one criteria across boards or else as a Novak fan I can say that he won is titles with Nadal and Federer in play while they got some "free" GS titles where Novak wasn't a factor.

I will also admit that I have always found Serena to be a bitch when things aren't going her way (like against Osaka) just like I've always laughed at Fed's "sportmanship' when he's winning compared to Novak being able to clap opponents when losing for a good shot.

Carolina Red

Staff
@Carolina Red shit man hope you can read my reply don't now how it went like that.
All you did was put the response inside the [/QUOTE]

In regards to Court... 11 of her titles were Australian Opens that were small fields and almost exclusively Australian players, through no fault of her own.

Graf has a better argument to be over Serena than Court does, in my opinion.

Sweet Square

Fair play this is one of the worst posts on here in a long time.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

So Graff had as many GS as Serena despite retiring at 30. That's incredible.

Carolina Red

Staff
So Graff had as many GS as Serena despite retiring at 30. That's incredible.
It’s a great achievement, but there’s also the caveat about the woman who won 7 of 8 grand slam titles in 2 years getting stabbed by a crazy person with a knife at the age of 20.

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Serena won 8 slams in a row?! Sweet Jesus, I knew she was dominant, but that's silly.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Just watched the ladies final.
Halep was simply amazing. “Faultless” was how one of the commentators put it. And she really was! They showed a stat during the match that Halep won 100% of >9 shot rallies.
Hopefully she can push on now and grab a few more majors now that she’s clearly got control of her head.

Carolina Red

Staff
Just watched the ladies final.
Halep was simply amazing. “Faultless” was how one of the commentators put it. And she really was! They showed a stat during the match that Halep won 100% of >9 shot rallies.
Hopefully she can push on now and grab a few more majors now that she’s clearly got control of her head.
Her shot placement while on the run was just unbelievable today. She was hitting angles that didn’t look possible.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Is Serena really considered better than Graf or even Seles?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
She just never seemed very consistent for me. Although I don't follow Tennis too closely.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
She almost died during childbirth too which is something that's often not spoken about, her health hasn't been great for years so for her to even return to this level after all that, at 37 is simply remarkable.
At least one more title for her to retire on a high, she absolutely deserves it - one of the most inspirational athletes ever imo.
I fully agree. People want to use this loss to demolish her but instead, she deserves all the respect in the world for even getting to the Final. Lots of people wouldn’t have returned to even play after her health issues.