Tennis 2021

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Unfortunate for the fans but the right decision for Rafa. Take all the time you need and hope we still get 2/3 years of high level play. We really are coming to the end of the greatest era of tennis ever. Federer should be done after next year's Wimbledon. Rafa possibly the year after and Djokovic maybe a year or two after that. Enjoy it while it lasts boys
I'm worried it could be after this year's. At 39 to come back from double surgeries as a top player looks highly unlikely and I doubt Federer will want to just be another player on tour.

On Nadal, I didn't know that he was feeling the effects of the tour. But it's a good decision given the advantage others have on grass. He'll be fresher for the US open.

wr8_utd

:'(
Quite the contrary, it's a brilliant decision. He needs to be at his best to win another huge title. That's all that is relevant for him right now.
Wimbledon honestly feels like a more attainable target given how bad the next gen is on grass. At USO he'll once again be fighting both Fed and Novak as well as the likes of Tsitsipas, Medvedev and Zverev. At Wimbledon, if he could have avoided being in the same half as Fed/Djoko, there was a good chance of going deep.

TheLiverBird

Wimbledon honestly feels like a more attainable target given how bad the next gen is on grass. At USO he'll once again be fighting both Fed and Novak as well as the likes of Tsitsipas, Medvedev and Zverev. At Wimbledon, if he could have avoided being in the same half as Fed/Djoko, there was a good chance of going deep.
He feels strongly that the sacrifice is necessary i guess, the chance of going far on his weaker surface isn’t worth the longevity of playing elsewhere where he’s strongest

a sign of where he’s at with his body too

I admire that kind of sacrifice

saivet

You're probably right but he played a lot of clay court events in the build up to RG that he's probably not in a place where he can realistically win it.

His record at the USO is better than Wimbledon anyway and while there are more threats there, the same will apply to Federer and Djokovic at the USO.

Rajma

Berrettini has to be one of the favourites for Wimbledon with his serve, he seems to handle the grass quite alright too.

LDUred

So, Berrettini vs Norrie in Queen's final tomorrow. Berrettini a massive favourite but congrats to Cam Norrie on making the final. Beating Karatsev and Shapovalov en route is no mean feat.

LDUred

Berrettini wins Queen's. Have to say he is very much a favourite for Wimbledon now.

He may have to get better in tie-breaks but the fact he didn't get broken here bodes well. Fair play to Norrie, he's a tough player to beat and pushed Berrrettini hard.

Brophs

The One and Only
Norrie is, pound for pound, maybe the best maximiser in the game at the moment. He's wringing every drop out of what plenty of people thought was pretty meagre talent.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Norrie is, pound for pound, maybe the best maximiser in the game at the moment. He's wringing every drop out of what plenty of people thought was pretty meagre talent.
Schwartzman is up there

Bole Top

T. Fritz hasn't really progressed as much as I thought he would. he will be 24 soon so he's still young obviously, but he's nowhere basically. I thought he would be competing for slams with the rest of the younger players, but all of them look much better atm.

btw, Wawrinka withdraws from WImbledon as well.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Been listening to my boy Gil Gross have you?
;)

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Genuinely had to Google who that is. The theme has been discussed on the Tennis Podcast, which I listen to.
He's a pretty good tennis analyst on youtube. And he just named Norrie as the best maximizer as well in a recent video. I guess it's a pretty common opinion amongst tennis fans. Anyways he just came out with his wimbledon power rankings, a decent listen at the gym or during a commute.

Brophs

The One and Only
He's a pretty good tennis analyst on youtube. And he just named Norrie as the best maximizer as well in a recent video. I guess it's a pretty common opinion amongst tennis fans. Anyways he just came out with his wimbledon power rankings, a decent listen at the gym or during a commute.
Good stuff. I’ll give that a listen.

saivet

Thiem has pulled out of Wimbledon due to a wrist injury. I wonder if he'll be okay for the US Open where he is the current champion.

Brophs

The One and Only
Thiem has pulled out of Wimbledon due to a wrist injury. I wonder if he'll be okay for the US Open where he is the current champion.
I'm not suggesting that that's not true, but my gut instinct watching Thiem the last few months, allied with the fact he pulled out of the Olympics well in advance the other week, is that he's really struggling mentally or emotioanlly in some way. Of course, I could be reading far too much into things but he hasn't looked right to me.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Gentlemen's Singles - Projected Quarter-finals
Djokovic vs Rublev
Tsitsipas vs Bautista Agut
Zverev vs Berrettini
Medvedev vs Federer

Although can see Shapovalov making QFs over Agut tbh.

Berrettini on the other side is good news for Djokovic, he's a real danger.

Anderson in Round 2 is dangerous to Djokovic if he somehow gets any form as he has been struggling even on grass. Draper first.

Murray plays Basilashvili in round 1.

Last edited:

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Federer's projected route to the SFs

R1 - Mannarino
R2 - Gasquet
R3 - Norrie
R4 - Querrey/Busta
QFs - Medvedev(Cilic or Dimitrov)

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Am I correct in saying if Medvedev wins the title in Mallorca(currently in the SFs) that when Wimbeldon starts he will be world number 1 in the 'live' rankings?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Not sure Mark. These are the first round matches that should be the most fun:

Tsitsipas vs Tiafoe
Murray vs Basilashvili
Kyrgios vs Humbert

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Berrettini has to be one of the favourites for Wimbledon with his serve, he seems to handle the grass quite alright too.
Youtube recommended Federer vs Berretini 2019 to me today - his last match at Wimbledon was 1-6 2-6 2-6. I think he can beat this version of Fed, but is he even a slight problem for Djokovic?

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Not sure Mark. These are the first round matches that should be the most fun:

Tsitsipas vs Tiafoe
Murray vs Basilashvili
Kyrgios vs Humbert
Struff vs Medvedev could be interesting. Struff beat him in Halle last week. Evans vs Lopez as well.

Can't remember the first round at Wimbledon having some many interesting first round encounters on paper.

croadyman

Have enjoyed watching Ostapenko at Eastbourne this week she is a real character and got such an explosive game too

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Youtube recommended Federer vs Berretini 2019 to me today - his last match at Wimbledon was 1-6 2-6 2-6. I think he can beat this version of Fed, but is he even a slight problem for Djokovic?
Kevin Anderson the 2018 finalist is no longer in ATP top 100

Things happen in two years

Bole Top

nothing more annoying in tennis than rain. wouldn't be surprised if there are no matches at all today.

Balljy

This year has been weird for weather. I've seen loads of the cricket delayed and now the tennis, but I feel like we've had very little rain overall in the west of England. It's been murky like it is today, but not that much rain unlike the east.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Should still get the matches on center court with Djokovic vs Draper being the first one I think.

saivet

Who is this Draper kid? Is he highly rated
Playing very well so far
He did well recently at Queens a couple of weeks ago, beating Sinner in his first match. Believe he was fairly highly rated as a junior (may have won Wimbledon?) but hasn't really transferred that into the men's game since turning pro a few years ago.