Tennis 2023

MemphisDepay

Supports
Rangers and Celtic
Perpetual wildcard scrounger Liam Broady has surprisingly done quite well here. But expecting him to eventually lose and then fade into irrelevance until next year’s Wimbledon where he’ll no doubt fail to be ranked high enough to qualify and get his free handout again. Nothing quite like awarding mediocrity.

RedDevilRoshi

But there’s nobody in the current generation that looks like they could be as dominant as Djokovic, Nadal, Federer though.

Tsitsipas will no doubt win more than one slam, Alcaraz too. But over the past 15/20 years we’ve been spoiled by just how good they have been and how dominant they are.

The new bunch coming through feel a bit … ‘meh’ and no doubt we’ll start to see lots of different winners of the slams rather than it being shared amongst a few.
Totally agree. There’s no one I can think of in this current generation that you can see being a step above everyone else in the sport and ends up dominating it in similar fashion to how Federer & Djokovic have done.

Ibi Dreams

It's not reasonable to expect to see anyone as dominant as Fed or Nadal or Djokovic for quite a while tbh. Having said that, I do think Alcaraz and Sinner are the most exciting young talents I've seen in a while. Was never convinced by the likes of Dimitrov, Medvedev, Shapovalov etc. But those two look good, and they're also going to play most of their tennis after the big three are all retired (presumably)

Canagel

Murray's shot making was top class today. Still a class above everyone not named Djokovic when it comes to point construction.
Shame his body gave up on him, in his prime he closes out this game comfortably.

Bole Top

that freak loss vs Querrey in 2016 is the last time Novak lost here. currently toying with past it Waw.

Riz

that freak loss vs Querrey in 2016 is the last time Novak lost here. currently toying with past it Waw.
And the last time he lost on Centre was 10 years today vs Murray in the 2013 final.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Can't get over why Murray didn't challenge that line call?! He would've been 15-40 up and poised to serve out the match.
Can imagine someone showing him the replay after! Nooooo

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Novaks got the field to himself now, but that doesn't make the other 2 any worse than him retrospectively. I don't consider the final major count as a decider to the goat debate for those reasons

Doracle

Can't get over why Murray didn't challenge that line call?! He would've been 15-40 up and poised to serve out the match.
Can imagine someone showing him the replay after! Nooooo
It would have been replayed at 15-30 as the call came well before Tsitsipas hit it in the net but yeah still frustrating he didn’t challenge. Clearly thought he’d missed it himself.

Jev

It's not reasonable to expect to see anyone as dominant as Fed or Nadal or Djokovic for quite a while tbh. Having said that, I do think Alcaraz and Sinner are the most exciting young talents I've seen in a while. Was never convinced by the likes of Dimitrov, Medvedev, Shapovalov etc. But those two look good, and they're also going to play most of their tennis after the big three are all retired (presumably)
Out of interest, what did you think of Tsitsipas when he emerged? Didn't follow tennis that closely at the time but he had beaten all of the big-3 before his 21st birthday and with his immense forehand and elegant game, I could imagine people having viewed him as a world-beater in the making.

Zen

Alcaraz is absurdly aggressive whenever I watch him... not sure how that's boring to be fair. You'd think he'd be reigning it in by now, but looks like he still wants to go by that sword.

Zen

The same reason anyone is boring that comes with hype. They essentially aren't Federer! (except he's actually even more aggressive than Federer at age 20-24, so what do people want?)

He's also utterly shambolic at challenging :lol:

Last edited:

Bole Top

Zverev is surprisingly underwhelming on the grass given his style and physique.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Fokina with an awful underarm serve at 8-8 after leading the champs tiebreak the whole way through!

Pleased for Rune but a very difficult watch that. Won't get away with that level against a lot of other players.

Bole Top

Zverev vs Berrettini is brutal to watch. no rallies at all, just serving.

Jev

Fokina with an awful underarm serve at 8-8 after leading the champs tiebreak the whole way through!

Pleased for Rune but a very difficult watch that. Won't get away with that level against a lot of other players.
Yeah, that underarm serve was an unreal decision.

And yeah, Rune has generally struggled to find his level consistently this season despite decent results. Dodgy decision-making. He might be able to win another but no hope of reaching the last four.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, that underarm serve was an unreal decision.

And yeah, Rune has generally struggled to find his level consistently this season despite decent results. Dodgy decision-making. He might be able to win another but no hope of reaching the last four.
watching him at wimbledon so far it is mind boggling to think he's beaten djokovic the last two times they met. Very erratic.

Bole Top

those who never really warmed up to Djokovic, Murray and even Nadal's playing style and took their endless rallies for granted should really watch Zverev and Berrettini. they will beg for that "boring" tennis once they retire. so many easy shots end up in the net or outside the court. only after you're exposed to this for a while you really understand how hard it is to actually keep the ball in play for so long. both Zverev and Berrettini are good players yet they look so limited and clumsy whey they aren't serving.

saivet

Zverev is surprisingly underwhelming on the grass given his style and physique.
In his on court interview yesterday he was quite public about how he doesn't like the surface. I think more than anything some of these guys struggling with the movement and perhaps lacks the ambition to improve on grass.

There are a few that give the impression that they're not too bothered either.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
those who never really warmed up to Djokovic, Murray and even Nadal's playing style and took their endless rallies for granted should really watch Zverev and Berrettini. they will beg for that "boring" tennis once they retire. so many easy shots end up in the net or outside the court. only after you're exposed to this for a while you really understand how hard it is to actually keep the ball in play for so long. both Zverev and Berrettini are good players yet they look so limited and clumsy whey they aren't serving.
Nah, it is conservation instinct and the grass allowing that style imho… in fact, both players are bearing biiig physical issues atm.

Zen

The same reason anyone is boring that comes with hype. They essentially aren't Federer! (except he's actually even more aggressive than Federer at age 20-24, so what do people want?)
I already confirmed this for you before he even said! Though I appreciate the honesty still :lol:

Basically the sport is going to lose a hell of a lot of casual fans due to Federer especially, but also Nadal and then Novak following suit. Because there's realistically not much chance you find Alcaraz boring if you genuinely liked Federer's style too, as a Tennis fan, and not a fan of the individual.

ExoduS

You obviously must have watched just highlights. I doubt you enjoyed matches when his game completely collapsed and he starts spraying errors from both wings.

Anyone besides Federer you liked to watch ? Safin, Kuerten, Sampras, Del Potro?

Calling Alcaraz boring doesn't make any sense but you might have not watched his USO matches against Sinner and Kachanov.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Potapova is on BBC and her match is unwatchable if the sound is on. Wailing ridiculously every time she hits a ball.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Rublev Bublik was great.

Really wanted Bublik to get it done but a great watch.

ExoduS

How many Russian players play under Kazakhstan flag ? At least dozen it seems.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
You obviously must have watched just highlights. I doubt you enjoyed matches when his game completely collapsed and he starts spraying errors from both wings.

Anyone besides Federer you liked to watch ? Safin, Kuerten, Sampras, Del Potro?

Calling Alcaraz boring doesn't make any sense but you might have not watched his USO matches against Sinner and Kachanov.
I like Nalbandian, Djokovic, was an Ivanesevic fan as well, liked Wavwrinka, enjoy watching Monfils.

ExoduS

I like Nalbandian, Djokovic, was an Ivanesevic fan as well, liked Wavwrinka, enjoy watching Monfils.
Nalbandian is a legend. At his prime could beat anyone. Exceptional talent but sadly not a hard worker. Wawrinka at his peak was a monstrosity.

Alcaraz is very great talent but seems so far physically fragile. We shall see how he develops as he is still young. I still can't understand why you find him boring. Guy plays attacking tennis (maybe even too attacking) and has a natural talent for the game. Can execute unconventional shots when needed.

I watched Jarry match and clearly Alcaraz needs more work to be truly great on grass but he improved since last year.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Best thing about that is the noise Bublik puts into the last backhand.

wr8_utd

:'(
watching him at wimbledon so far it is mind boggling to think he's beaten djokovic the last two times they met. Very erratic.
Because people, for some strange reason, read way too much into Djokovic losing to random players at the Masters level when he's been having these shock losses for 2-3 years now. He just doesn't care about them and not one of these kids can lay a glove on him when it actually comes to the Slams.

Zverev vs Berrettini is brutal to watch. no rallies at all, just serving.
That's what you get from these big guys who can only serve and not really rally. You'll get a lot more of it in the future.

Just seems really boring, I don't enjoy his style of play, seems really odd.
He might be getting a serious amount of hype which isn't necessarily justified but he's definitely not boring. If anything, he's a bit too wild and attacking in his play and could learn a bit from Novak and Rafa in terms of his approach.