Tennis 2023

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Honestly, I think it's far more likely she makes it a hat-trick of defeats. Mentally, she was all over the place today. Can't remember that last time I saw a competitor crumble that badly in a final. She knew it as well.
Always think of Jana Nowotna losing 5 straight games to Steffi after being up 4-1 in the final set. Good for her that she still went on and won a grand slam later on.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Jabeur is a fighter and hopefully will have another chance… if Bartoli did, pretty anyone can. :wenger:

Bole Top

before the tournament, I thought it would be too early for Alcaraz, but now I'd actually give him a slight edge today. I get it, Djokovic has all the experience and habbit to up his level in these finals, but he also hasn't played against such opponent for a while now. Nick and Berrettini simply can't compare imo. so... Alcaraz in 5, somehow.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
before the tournament, I thought it would be too early for Alcaraz, but now I'd actually give him a slight edge today. I get it, Djokovic has all the experience and habbit to up his level in these finals, but he also hasn't played against such opponent for a while now. Nick and Berrettini simply can't compare imo. so... Alcaraz in 5, somehow.
He beat Alcaraz at the French as the 20 year old got nervous and then injured

Zen

He clearly talking Wimbledon... and he's right. Alcaraz 2023 smashes his previous 2 opponents in the final, but is still suspect to a 3 set loss, I mean, who isn't except well Novak? So might not look like it should that happen, but overall tournament performances clearly suggest he's a vastly superior player.

Bole Top

I'm aware of that, but I meant the finals here. Nick, Berrettini, old Fed, Anderson... getting away without his best tennis probably won't work vs Alcaraz who's flying atm, at least that is how I feel.

we'll see soon anyway.

wr8_utd

:'(
I'm aware of that, but I meant the finals here. Nick, Berrettini, old Fed, Anderson... getting away without his best tennis probably won't work vs Alcaraz who's flying atm, at least that is how I feel.

we'll see soon anyway.
Flying vs the rest doesn't mean anything when you're playing Novak. Carlos misses his break point and now he's triple break point down. I'd be hugely surprised if Carlos gets more than a set today. Novak is a mental beast in these occasions.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Some great shots, Alcaraz getting the crowd involved, 3-0 Djokovic. Such a Djokovic start :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Alcaraz doesn’t look ready for these big games. Typical of gen next and gen next next I suppose.

saivet

Blimey, demolition job so far.

Maybe a repeat of the 2006 final that Federer won, with a 6-0 first set vs Nadal.

Bole Top

...aaand that's why I haven't made a fortune via betting. I honestly thought Alcaraz will be immune to this.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Tennis standards are plummeting. Coming out of a golden period into an absolute stinker.

Any of the second wrung tier of the Nadal, Fed, Djok era would be dominating, let alone the front runners.

wr8_utd

Alcaraz doesn’t look ready for these big games. Typical of gen next and gen next next I suppose.
He's ready for 95% of this tour but not to tactically change his game to face some one like Novak. All out attack will not work but he just refuses to tweak tactics and try to outrally the man double his age.

wr8_utd

...aaand that's why I haven't made a fortune via betting. I honestly thought Alcaraz will be immune to this.
I put a minor amount of money on Novak to win the second set under 3 at 7/1. Looks like I chose the wrong set :lol:

wr8_utd

You didn't watch the RG semi? He literally lost the mental battle that day.
I think where he lost the mental battle was when he admitted post match that the cramps were due to the nerves of facing Novak.

Canagel

Alcaraz needs to take the second. You will not come back from two sets down against Djokovic.

Bole Top

You didn't watch the RG semi? He literally lost the mental battle that day.
honestly, I put all that on that injury he suffered and expected he'd bounce back today. still plenty of time btw.

mav_9me

Disagree. I think this is a reflection of how good Djokovic is in general, but particularly on grass.

Alcaraz is definitely not typical of Gen next or next next.