Terrible but eminently watchable films

buchansleftleg

As a side theme - films that if you watch the first 5 minutes ......you are hooked

Capricorn one - Gets me every time - seen it countless times but if i see it in the guide.....on it goes!

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
As a side theme - films that if you watch the first 5 minutes ......you are hooked

Capricorn one - Gets me every time - seen it countless times but if i see it in the guide.....on it goes!
Tenacious D, Pick of destiny.

I'd never heard of them or Jack Black when I first watched that (2007 or so?) but it had me hooked within a a minute. I still think it's the best opening to a film I've ever seen.

Wayne's world would be a close second, saw it at cinema not knowing anything about SNL or the main stars but from the first scene knew it was going to be special.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
From Dusk Till Dawn
Nah that's actually a brilliant film.

I'm gonna throw Air Force One into the mix. Harrison Ford phoning in his performance as a Rambo president and Gary Oldman doing a terribly stereotypical Chechen terrorist and yet it's still great.

Oh and Event Horizon with Laurence Fishburne and Sam Neill or Sphere with Dustin Hoffman, Sharon Stone and Samuel Motherfecker Jackson.

Woodzy

In Face Off, did they ever explain in the film why they swapped faces but had still had completely different body types and how no one noticed?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Plan 9 from Outer Space - never had more fun watching a movie.

Someone mentioned Police Academy, also a good shout.

Wild Zero, although I don't know if films that are trashy on purpose count.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
Surely The Room is the only answer here?

DouLou

Been caught pooping
Event horizon is awesome
Good choice, panned by critics but has a decent following. I always remember it for some great horror scenes and suspense but ultimately it is a bit of a bore.

Screamers is another one that has a bad wrap, but also a bit of a sci-fi cult classic.

I'd say Idle Hands is complete shit but for some reason I enjoy it, probably cause it has a ridiculously hot (albeit very young) Jessica Alba.

Last Action Hero is really enjoyable for how kinda shitty it really is. Demolition Man somehow retains a jovial charm that doesn't seem to age, the quality of the film is overall kinda bad but it just works. I reckon there's a lot of 80s or 90s action films that fall under the category of "Bad but enjoyable". Maybe in 20 years time people will look at stuff like XxX in the same way, whereas for me it's just bad and not enjoyable.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Chinese kung fu movies. Terrible acting and special effects. (You could tell it was ketchup) but damn they never get old.

decorativeed

I see those and raise you Blind Fury - 80s classic with Rutger Hauer as a blind Vietnam vet with a vengeance and a big sword!

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I see those and raise you Blind Fury - 80s classic with Rutger Hauer as a blind Vietnam vet with a vengeance and a big sword!
That's a great film.

Dark Angel/I Come in Peace, 1990 Dolph Lundgren film about a Houston cop who gets into some trouble with an intergalactic drug dealer. 'I Come in Peace!' 'Then you go.... in pieces....'

Red Stone

The Bill and Ted movies. I love them, but highbrow cinema they are not.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I'm told that both Boondock Saints movies are actually terrible but I think they're the best movies of all time.
There is a brilliant brilliant documentary about how to not get ahead in Hollywood about the making of the boondock saints that is actually better than the movies. It’s called overnight and if you love the movies you should really see it

The Final Destination series.

It helps the entertaingly comfy factor that they're all basically the same movie.

Big action-horror piece with plenty of gory deaths > rewind > they cheat death > oh no they didn't > now we watch them die one by one with fun kill scenes and a threadbare plot.

With all the horror reboots and 00s nostalgia I can't believe there hasn't been a new one for over a decade.