Tevez poster in Manchester city centre

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
Why do football clubs have to advertise? Doesn't make sense?
I doubt there is much reason at home in England, but in emerging football markets abroad I imagine it helps greatly- but primarily it is the sponsors who gain out of advertising which is how you get so many millions for club sponsorship these days- besides I doubt not many people get paid millions every year so they can have their name and image branded across the most famous advertising locations in the World like Chelsea does.

It cannot be over emphasised how important Asia is to premier league revenues and growth in the future, so the fact Chelsea is sponsored by one of the biggest brands to ever come out of the Pacific Rim and is plastered all over Samsung advertising globally is a huge boost to a club, it isn't simply a case of taking the sponsorship money and it ending there.

Spoony

The People's President
I doubt there is much reason at home in England, but in emerging football markets abroad I imagine it helps greatly- but primarily it is the sponsors who gain out of advertising which is how you get so many millions for club sponsorship these days- besides I doubt not many people get paid millions every year so they can have their name and image branded across the most famous advertising locations in the World like we do.
City also advertise on local radio - much like Bolton. It's all rather desperate. I doubt they'd be advertising had they been filling their grounds.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
Is there a premium advertising spot in Manchester these days or is there just a random billboard here, there and everywhere?

davisjw

'Welcome to Manchester'?

It doesn't even work. He's lived and worked there for the last 2 years you dumb fecks.
Don't be daft; they're talking about in relations to Old Trafford! Some claim City's more Manchester because of their stadium's location. They say we "moved out."

F'ing p*sses me off to see that. He'll get no such heroes welcome from us! If I were a City fan I'd love that though to be honest...

Dresilved

'Welcome to Manchester'?

It doesn't even work. He's lived and worked there for the last 2 years you dumb fecks.
Our ground is actually in the borough of Trafford not Manchester, so it sort of does work in all fairness, they are taking the opportunity of being overly pedantic in an attempt to wind us up and in some quarters it appears to have worked

penfold52

At the end of the day City are having a laugh at United, thing is we have been laughing at them for 33 years, and long may it continue.

Chuffin Globetrotters

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
The marketing manager at City is a Red ffs. He did the Manchester is blue thing. I used to knock around with him when he lived in Portland working for Intel. He probably knew Cooke from Nike when he was here too. The only purpose of these billboards are to wind us up... and it looks like it's working. It is small time though. It gets their Munich chanting fans all giddy. feck em.

B Cantona

Desperate
The marketing manager at City is a Red ffs. He did the Manchester is blue thing. I used to knock around with him when he lived in Portland working for Intel. He probably knew Cooke from Nike when he was here too. The only purpose of these billboards are to wind us up... and it looks like it's working. It is small time though. It gets their Munich chanting fans all giddy. feck em.
Well it's not, the idea is that this is the kind of thing that appeals to City fans, and gets their fairweathers through the gate

But they're also pretty provocative, and I'm surprised the police stand for it given the ridiculous measures we have for derby games as it is

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
I think thats the joke. City fans dont consider United to be from Manchester.
Well on the same basis Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham or any other football club in the capital whilst being in Greater London are not in the City of London and therefore couldn't be considered Londoners. Absolute idiot logic by Man City here, which if stretched to London would have us believe the resident population of the British capital is 8,000 and that the Palace of Westminster, Downing Street and Buckingham Palace are not part of it- in fact based on which they'd have to claim London is not the capital.

ralphie88

I think thats the joke. City fans dont consider United to be from Manchester.
I assumed the poster was meant to be Tevez welcoming people to Manchester. Hence it's on the city boundary and they've used a photo of Tevez with his arms outstretched as if to give you a welcoming embrace.

Spoony

The People's President
I think thats he joke. City fans dont consider United to be from Manchester.
Ironically, we were formed in Newton Heath, Manchester, whereas City were formed in Gorton - at that time it wasn't a part of the city of Manchester. So, the bitters aren't Mancunian by birth - the fake cnuts.