Thai Cave kids | All 12 boys and coach rescued from cave | visiting United

fergosaurus

Some good news on the health of yesterdays four rescued boys.

"The four children are fine. The children complained that they were hungry and wanted holy basil stir-fried rice," Narongsak Osottanakorn, the head of the rescue operation, told reporters on Monday, referring to a popular Thai dish.

Interior Minister Anupong Paochinda also said the boys were in good health. He did not give further details.
https://mobile.nytimes.com/reuters/...iland-accident-cave-health.html?partner=IFTTT

Dyslexic Untied

Brilliant. Was reported in Norwegian news that the two more will be brought out today and the remaining five tomorrow. Not sure whether that is confirmed in any way.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
CNN are now saying that the rescue operation is over for today, and that they managed to get 4 more kids out of the cave today. The Guardian (who seem to have their own source at the rescue scene) aren't confirming the numbers yet.

InfiniteBoredom

Great stuff if true. It seems like they've gotten used to the operation and there should be no complication provided the weather holds.

Huge respect for the divers/doctor.

wr8_utd

:'(
Still have no idea how they've managed this without any casualties so far. Also huge credit to the kids at holding their nerve diving in darkness and those narrow spaces for hours.

Varun

Staff
Still have no idea how they've managed this without any casualties so far. Also huge credit to the kids at holding their nerve diving in darkness and those narrow spaces for hours.
Yeah, incredible stuff. The guys carrying out the rescue operation are absolute heroes

Silva

I think they're knocking them out and dragging them through. The doctor who's diving with them is an anaesthesiologist.

NinjaFletch

Not likely.
Not quite 'knocking them out', but it's pretty heavily suggested they're sedating them to keep them calm and then basically dragging them through which has the twin benefits of A) not having to worry about them panicking and chewing through their air supply and B) not having to train them to dive properly.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Norwegian paper saying only two remain inside.
5 isnt it? 4 yesterday, 4 today, 13 total (if that number included the coach). Hopefully they dont risk themselves too much getting the last person out tomorrow if they are doing the next operation then, with them being used to 4 per day.

Cant imagine the wait for the last guy left, having at least had your team around you up until that point. Hope it ends as smoothly as these 2 days have been.

Dyslexic Untied

5 isnt it? 4 yesterday, 4 today, 13 total (if that number included the coach). Hopefully they dont risk themselves too much getting the last person out tomorrow if they are doing the next operation then, with them being used to 4 per day.

Cant imagine the wait for the last guy left, having at least had your team around you up until that point. Hope it ends as smoothly as these 2 days have been.
I thought the same but the biggest paper (www.vg.no) is saying 11 out 2 to go. They are quoting a local official. No one else is reporting it though so I assume it might be wrong.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Sedation makes absolute sense, I’m not sure why it’s being dismissed.

We’re talking about kids here, there is no benefit to them being sharp and alert, they won’t react to frightning situations well whatever happens. Having them in a trance like state as they are guided through the sections like rag dolls makes a lot of sense. The last thing you want is them panicking, struggling and messing with either their own or the rescuers equipment.

The teacher is going to be an interesting one, I assume he’s that big larger and will need to do a lot more himself.

wr8_utd

Yeah being sedated does make sense. I can't believe 12 kids would be calm enough to be underwater that long and in total darkness and in tiny space and not just completely panic.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
We’re talking about kids here, there is no benefit to them being sharp and alert, they won’t react to frightning situations well whatever happens.
I think people are distinguishing between "knocked out" which requires operating room kind of techniques to support them and "a bit dozy" - which might just make them easier to handle. Obviously though that's a juggling act. This is a long trip out (even though they've got the speed up now) and there's no easy way to maintain "just enough" right the way through the trip. I'm sure it's part of why they've got the medical support they've got though.

wr8_utd

If it were me, I think I'd gladly be knocked out/sedated than be conscious while going through 70cm wide portions of the cave.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
World Cup invitation

The offer reportedly still stands for the boys to attend the World Cup final in Russia after Fifa president Gianni Infantino invited them on Friday.

In a letter to the Thai Football Association, Infantino offered "deepest sympathies and support" for the young team, adding that if they were rescued in time and were healthy enough to travel, it would "undoubtedly be a wonderful moment of communion and celebration" for them to enjoy
That would be amazing. Would love if they were there to see England get beaten .

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
According to the report I read it was the weakest.

"The initial plan was to bring the strongest out first.

But after Adelaide cave diver and anaesthetist Richard Harris, 53, assessed the youngsters and their coach that strategy appears to have been reversed, Thai media has reported."

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/...e/news-story/4e28d1c5864029c9132ef1bb2eff9f8b
That was part of initial reports yesterday but the Thai governor and head of rescue said the healthiest were taken out instead.

The rescue has been concluded for the night and will resume in 10-20 hours because “we’ve used all the oxygen,” according to Narongsak, who said the healthiest were taken out first.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...ave-rescue-operation-divers-trapped-boys-live

predator

Youth NITK
This story is heartwarming to say the least. The international support is great to see.

Us humans do have a good side to us at times.

Neo_Mufc

Excellent news. Keep up the good work.

Edit: Would be great if Utd would invite these guys down to watch a game?

Did we do something similar for the Chilean miners?