That Frank Lampard!

Bodzilla

Ure Banned
Drop Frank, can't get hurt while away then.

Mind you he can't get hurt anyway, on account of the drugs.

Davo

He won't drop Fat Frank....he's Scandanavian, and hence a literal gimp

His thought process will be

"Gerrard didn't play....yet we played better
Perhaps I should leave him out?
And play King? Hehehe.....silly billy Svenny
I know I'll drop that fat cnut...
But he scored
Right, Gerrard and Frankie it is then"

Probably

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Davo said:
The thing is, Gerrard has played the "more defensive of 2 CM's" role (which is different to the Makelele "I'm standing by the defence and not moving" role which everyone raves about thesedays)...on many occasions, and whilst it does limit him, he's still been ace...

Therefore, Lampard (who isn't as good as Gerrard) is clearly at fault......the fat twat
But hes mostly been mediocer, which he never is when hes playig further forward

Davo

Looking Busy said:
Who was? Neither Gerrard or Lampard were England best player against Austria. Luke Young was
Classic example of Henry Syndrome that...

I'm going to publish a paper on the subject...

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Portugal at the euros, 38% pass completion, just what you want from your DM, win it and give it back to the opposition

Henry syndrome my arse, its not his game

Davo

Mozza said:
Portugal at the euros, 38% pass completion, just what you want from your DM, win it and give it back to the opposition

Henry syndrome my arse, its not his game
He was probably stuck out on the left for part of the tournament...fecked if I can remember.

Point being, apart from the very obvious case of Henry syndrome, is that Gerrard would never be a "DM" in the sense of a Makelele, Hamann or latter day Keane....he's too good a footballer for that

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Davo said:
He was probably stuck out on the left for part of the tournament...fecked if I can remember.

Point being, apart from the very obvious case of Henry syndrome, is that Gerrard would never be a "DM" in the sense of a Makelele, Hamann or latter day Keane....he's too good a footballer for that
He was in central midfield, not every case of a great footballer being shite is the henry syndrome, sometimes he is actually shite.

Him not playing defensively was part of the problem, he was still hiting them hollywood balls where keeping it simple wouldev been better

Davo

Looking Busy said:
Please explain?
What is this so-called Henry syndrome.

As for the Austria game Luke Young was Englands best player. No doubt about it in my mind
When a player reaches a level of pure feckin genius...like Henry and/or Gerrard..the expectancy level grows to such an extent that when they have "just" a decent game...it's viewed as being a failure

Take the Austria game. Young, who is very average, did pretty well....Gerrard, who is amazing, was the best player on the pitch......but the relative perceptions of the two lead some to, incorrectly, think Young was the better player

He wasn't

JSV

woman-hating-mans-man(or sexist tw*t if you'd pref
Looking Busy said:
Please explain?
What is this so-called Henry syndrome.

As for the Austria game Luke Young was Englands best player. No doubt about it in my mind
Eh? He was alright at best and was majorly at fault for the goal.

Bodzilla

Ure Banned
Davo said:
When a player reaches a level of pure feckin genius...like Henry and/or Gerrard..the expectancy level grows to such an extent that when they have "just" a decent game...it's viewed as being a failure

Take the Austria game. Young, who is very average, did pretty well....Gerrard, who is amazing, was the best player on the pitch......but the relative perceptions of the two lead some to, incorrectly, think Young was the better player

He wasn't
That's true, to an extent. We had a shite player play with us last year. Noone knew where to play him, because he was shite. He got a run out at centrehalf and everybody was amazed at how good he was there. They said "now we know where to play him" to which I replied "no we don't, he's shite, he just played above out shite expectations of him" It was true, when our first choice centrehalf came back, our friend went bak to being shite, on the bench.

Gerrard has still been shite at times. Like Frank was at Wigan this year, and for most of the Arsenal match a week later.

Looking Busy

Davo said:

He wasn't
Gerrard wasn't the best player by any standards against Austria. Our midfield sat off and let austria have the ball, there was no hussle, no urgency, no drive. That is what Gerrard is supposed to provide. It has nothing to do with expectations. Gerrard was nowhere near Englands best player regardless of any bullshit syndrome you can come up with. I suggest you re-watch the match and look how little effort Gerrard and Lampard put in to closing down the Austrians, how little times that tried to rush their midfield and make them play at a higher tempo.

Davo

Bodzilla said:
That's true, to an extent. We had a shite player play with us last year. Noone knew where to play him, because he was shite. He got a run out at centrehalf and everybody was amazed at how good he was there. They said "now we know where to play him" to which I replied "no we don't, he's shite, he just played above out shite expectations of him" It was true, when our first choice centrehalf came back, our friend went bak to being shite, on the bench.

Gerrard has still been shite at times. Like Frank was at Wigan this year, and for most of the Arsenal match a week later.
I'm not saying Gerrard never has a shite game......the "Henry Syndrome" is surprisingly hard for people to fathom...

It's just that people will rate him as "average"...when if, say Fletcher, has put in a similar performance he'd be getting 9 out of 10

It's a relative thing

Bodzilla

Ure Banned
I posted it for you Plech. Incase nobody believed he had such a look.

And you wont be suprised to hear, that at the very moment this picture was taken SG was NOT smiling and Rooney still looked like Shrek/ugly baked bean.

Davo

Looking Busy said:
Gerrard wasn't the best player by any standards against Austria. Our midfield sat off and let austria have the ball, there was no hussle, no urgency, no drive. That is what Gerrard is supposed to provide. It has nothing to do with expectations. Gerrard was nowhere near Englands best player regardless of any bullshit syndrome you can come up with. I suggest you re-watch the match and look how little effort Gerrard and Lampard put in to closing down the Austrians, how little times that tried to rush their midfield and make them play at a higher tempo.
He was. He wasn't the swashbuckling King of the World that people have come to expect, yet he was the best player on the pitch.

Some of the better journalists spotted this in fairness to them.....

I suggest you watch the match....and try and pretend that everyone's got the same ability

Bodzilla

Ure Banned
Davo said:
I'm not saying Gerrard never has a shite game......the "Henry Syndrome" is surprisingly hard for people to fathom...

It's just that people will rate him as "average"...when if, say Fletcher, has put in a similar performance he'd be getting 9 out of 10

It's a relative thing
My story was on your Luke Young comparison. To which I agreed. Thus my seemingly random story about ameture footy.

Looking Busy

Davo said:
He was. He wasn't the swashbuckling King of the World that people have come to expect, yet he was the best player on the pitch.

Some of the better journalists spotted this in fairness to them.....

I suggest you watch the match....and try and pretend that everyone's got the same ability
If he was Englands best player why did our midfield allow Austria so much possession. Why did they allow Austria to play at a tempo that suited them. I Don't expect him to be world class but i do expect him to put himself about. He didn't

Davo

Bodzilla said:
My story was on your Luke Young comparison. To which I agreed. Thus my seemingly random story about ameture footy.
Yeah I know...

I'm sometimes short with others when discussing the Henry Syndrome....

Looking Busy

1 more thing before i get some sleep.

This Henry syndrome you keep spouting about is just an excuse used to justify perceived below average performances. It's something you will use to explain away performances where Gerrard isn't up to his usual standard which is bollocks. He has set those standards for himself. If he can't live up to them then he deserves criticism.

Davo

Looking Busy said:
If he was Englands best player why did our midfield allow Austria so much possession. Why did they allow Austria to play at a tempo that suited them. I Don't expect him to be world class but i do expect him to put himself about. He didn't
Because the midfield, along with the rest of the team ,were generally rubbish....this isn't all down to Gerrard...but given the working of the Henry Syndrome, I can kind of see why you're thinking it is...

Gerrard offered the only drive in the match first half....second half he wasn't so good....as no one seemed to have a clue as to how they should be playing, in the sense of going for another goal or holding the lead.

None the less, overall, he was the best player on the pitch.....watch it again, seriously...you'll come round

Davo

Looking Busy said:
1 more thing before i get some sleep.

This Henry syndrome you keep spouting about is just an excuse used to justify perceived below average performances. It's something you will use to explain away performances where Gerrard isn't up to his usual standard which is bollocks. He has set those standards for himself. If he can't live up to them then he deserves criticism.
It's not...The best players do set incredibly high standards, but that doesn't mean they're going to be fantastic every game......some games they'll be rubbish....many other games they'll be good - but not quite as good as you know they can be.....

This affect's people's judgement....it's technical name is the Henry Syndrome

Looking Busy

Davo said:
Because the midfield, along with the rest of the team ,were generally rubbish....this isn't all down to Gerrard...but given the working of the Henry Syndrome, I can kind of see why you're thinking it is...

Gerrard offered the only drive in the match first half....second half he wasn't so good....as no one seemed to have a clue as to how they should be playing, in the sense of going for another goal or holding the lead.

None the less, overall, he was the best player on the pitch.....watch it again, seriously...you'll come round
I won't I watched it live and i've seen it again in highlights and I didn't rate Gerrard performance.
As I said in another post you can't hide behind the Henry bollocks. Gerrard set the standards for himself it is up to him to deliver.

Looking Busy

Davo said:
It's not...The best players do set incredibly high standards, but that doesn't mean they're going to be fantastic every game......some games they'll be rubbish....many other games they'll be good - but not quite as good as you know they can be.....

This affect's people's judgement....it's technical name is the Henry Syndrome
Like Saturday

Davo

Looking Busy said:
I won't I watched it live and i've seen it again in highlights and I didn't rate Gerrard performance.
As I said in another post you can't hide behind the Henry bollocks. Gerrard set the standards for himself it is up to him to deliver.
I'm not hiding behind anything..I'm stating a fact

People are so resistant to theories, even when they're clearly right.....

Bodzilla

Ure Banned
Yeah right, next thing you'll tell me is that we aren't the centre of the universe and the Earth isn't flat! :rolleyes:

;)