That Frank Lampard!

An Extremely Boring Man

Retired 39,9999 not out
Gerrard is a better player than Lampard, potentially, but Lampard have been far more consistent and effective than Gerrard over the last couple of seasons.

Stamford Bridge

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind's already mad
An Extremely Boring Man said:
Gerrard is a better player than Lampard, potentially, but Lampard have been far more consistent and effective than Gerrard over the last couple of seasons.
Shhhhh.....

Everyone knows that except Scousers. Don't spoil their illusion of Gerrard being the bestest player in the world ever. :D

Stamford Bridge

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind's already mad
DJS said:
:lol: Coming from the bloke who sees about 2 games a year....

(Not even Liverpool ones)...
I watch quite a number of Liverpool games.

Not in stadium unless I'm following the Blues, mind. Not worth going to a shite stadium to watch a shite team that puts people to sleep. ;)

Nate

Poached vegetables a speciality
Lampard is a better attacking mid than Gerrard,

Gerrard is the better all around player.

Gerrard has more to his game hence gets played in positions that don't always suit his best attributes, Lampard is more limited and doesn't have Gerrards engine and strength.

Both will play together at the world cup, and I think it affects both of their games.

IMO the team is stronger with Gerrard in it, but Lampard will score more goals so if you have to play one then it's personal preference.

Dubai_Devil

Stamford Bridge said:
I think Gerrard is an above average player who looks good in a very average team.

Lets put it this way, Gerrard could do what Lampard is doing now at Chelsea but Lampard couldnt carry Liverpool like Gerrard has done.

He now has Keane, who according to those on here is better than Makalele. He's also got Fletcher.

Well now we are talking about Scholes in his prime arnt we. When he was at his peak he had no protection from any other midfielders like Lampard does. No point comparing Lampard to the Scholes of today.

Maybe. But if he's out of form why hasn't Ferguson bought a replacement?
Probably a couple of reasons; loyalty hoping that Scholes can pull it together, no one out there to be able to replace him, not enough money, more important areas of the team need fixing.

marcus agrippa

Stamford Bridge said:
In case your sense of time has gone the same place as your knowledge of football, the difference between your treble season and last season was five (almost six) long years.

He scored one chance then missed an exact same chance five years later = he's out of form? Wow, that way Michael Owen must go in and out of form about 3 times every single game.

And you have the nerve to criticize my logic. :rolleyes:

How 4-3-3 has glaringly exposed Scholes' weaknesses is that he no longer can rely on Keane to do all the dirty work behind him, as Keane is getting on a bit. Playing as a midfielder rather than in the "hole" shows how poor he is defensively, even if he is a very decent player in an attacking build-up.

Fletcher is a very average player, but he is playing simply because Scholes lacks ball-winning and tackling ability of any kind.
it's obvious that i'll need to dumb this down for you.

you said that we are now seeing glaring deficiencies that were always present in Scholes' game.

i said, not true. why?

the reason people say that Scholes has lost form is because he doesn't make those late runs of his into the box as often; and when he does get a scoring opportunity, he doesn't bury them.

for reasons of symmetry, i went back 6 years to another Milan side to illustrate that that side of his game (which he had before) is gone: i.e., his form is gone. i could have easily gone back just a couple of years....but i suppose you've no appreciation for intellectual beauty....really no surprises there, but a bit sad.

let's talk about Scholes' mythical defensive side: what defensive side? - every one of us know that there's nothing later in the world than a Scholes tackle.

i'd like to see your precious Fatty play without Makelele in the side, see how he does. speaking of which, why all this argument about Gerrard and Lampard in the same team? - that England need someone in the holding role? -could it be that there are certain 'deficiencies' in their game?

bottom line: Scholes is an attacking midfielder, not a defensive one. never was, never will be (as his error against Blackburn highlighted)...football is a team sport, and every member of a team has a role, and they start in their respective teams because they are good at it. when later on in their careers, they are asked to perform a different role, their game suffers.

Stamford Bridge said:
Oh wow, I've only just noticed Man United play a 4-3-3/4-5-1.

You're agreeing with my point you knobend, playing in midfield exposes Scholes' weaknesses, therefore his impact on games has lessened, therefore he hasn't suddenly become shite because of a lack of form, he's shite because he isn't suited to play in the position he is in now.

Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime.
:lol:

see my point above vis-a-vis 'out of position'....

and: wow...classic ad-hominem. i was told that when one resorts to name calling in the middle of a(n) (aggressive) discussion, that usually means he's stumped...to paraphrase someone: mud-slinging is the last recourse of the intellectually feeble....

again: your feats of logic have reached further heights of mediocrity...

here's a shovel, dude, dig on....

Bodzilla

Ure Banned
Lamps has Makelele behind him, yes, but for all his years of greatness Scholes had the best MF (arguably) in the world cleaning up behind him. Where is the difference? Lampard does more defensive work then I have seen Scholes do, at any age.

Neither one of them are bonecrunchers(excluding the odd mistimed tackle), but the way people go on about Lampard only being good because of Maka and ignoring why Scholes was so good is mind boggling.

Gerrard is a very good player, but I would take Frank any day of the week. Beggars belief how his workrate is ignored by most on here, you'd think he was a CF the way people bang on about him.

Spoony

marcus agrippa said:

see my point above vis-a-vis 'out of position'....

and: wow...classic ad-hominem. i was told that when one resorts to name calling in the middle of a(n) (aggressive) discussion, that usually means he's stumped...to paraphrase someone: mud-slinging is the last recourse of the intellectually feeble....

again: your feats of logic have reached further heights of mediocrity...

here's a shovel, dude, dig on....
What do you expect from a BNP sympathiser?

marcus agrippa

Bodzilla said:
Lamps has Makelele behind him, yes, but for all his years of greatness Scholes had the best MF (arguably) in the world cleaning up behind him. Where is the difference? Lampard does more defensive work then I have seen Scholes do, at any age.

Neither one of them are bonecrunchers(excluding the odd mistimed tackle), but the way people go on about Lampard only being good because of Maka and ignoring why Scholes was so good is mind boggling.

Gerrard is a very good player, but I would take Frank any day of the week. Beggars belief how his workrate is ignored by most on here, you'd think he was a CF the way people bang on about him.
i hear you, Bod...

but look back at what started all this between me and SB....

his claim was that there is no way Ginger's out of form, but there were certain deficiencies in his game that we are only now seeing.

i say Scholes has never been known for his hard tackling (he's been known for his late, mistimed challenges, though)....but he has been known to pop up in the box and put chances away in the box or from outside it....

he no longer does that quite as often or effectively. i say it's because he's playing a different role than he was before, and that he has lost form given that he occassionally gets opportunities which a couple of years ago he would have buried but now fails to do so...

SB contrives not to see this...

hence my point about Fatty Frank: if he were asked to put in a more defensive shift, his game would suffer. fortunately for you lot, he has Makelele for that, so he and Essien can do their thing. i'm not saying he isn't good because of that; but i am saying his game isn't primarily about that....and i wish you'd judge Scholesy the same way....

Scholesy was never a DM, and he has an in-again-out-again Keane, an inexperienced Fletcher and a novice in Smith to keep him company, while the attacking responsibilities are delegated to the 3 R's and Park/Giggs (when playing)....

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
marcus agrippa said:
i hear you, Bod...

but look back at what started all this between me and SB....

his claim was that there is no way Ginger's out of form, but there were certain deficiencies in his game that we are only now seeing.

i say Scholes has never been known for his hard tackling (he's been known for his late, mistimed challenges, though)....but he has been known to pop up in the box and put chances away in the box or from outside it....

he no longer does that quite as often or effectively. i say it's because he's playing a different role than he was before, and that he has lost form given that he occassionally gets opportunities which a couple of years ago he would have buried but now fails to do so...

SB contrives not to see this...

hence my point about Fatty Frank: if he were asked to put in a more defensive shift, his game would suffer. fortunately for you lot, he has Makelele for that, so he and Essien can do their thing. i'm not saying he isn't good because of that; but i am saying his game isn't primarily about that....and i wish you'd judge Scholesy the same way....

Scholesy was never a DM, and he has an in-again-out-again Keane, an inexperienced Fletcher and a novice in Smith to keep him company, while the attacking responsibilities are delegated to the 3 R's and Park/Giggs (when playing)....
Thing about Scholes is, half the people on here say he was only ever really good "in the hole", as if that's self-evident

The other half say he never liked that, and that was what lost him form after Seba came, and he took ages to get used to it, and was at his best as a normal midfielder...as if that's also self-evident

Whereas actually he's had great games in both positions, but is sometimes out of form, and probably now past his best, sadly.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
An Extremely Boring Man said:
Exactly. Theres a difference between having more potential and actualy being a better player.. Lampard has performed far far better than Gerrard in the last two years, its not even close.. atleast he doesnt get built up as a player he isnt. Gerrard is a fine player, but far from the player he has the potential to be, which is what those who overhype him already see him as. Hes hardly ever 'run' a game in his life as people seem to suggest.

redfan

It's not the colour of your shirt that counts, it'
Stamford Bridge said:
"Overrated cnut"
"Not good enough for England"
"not as good as Scholes"

Yer havin' a laugh now aren't you Dave?
When he's been there done that I might rate him, for me the jury is still out, and he will never be as good as Scholes at his best. Notice how on Wednesday England played more like a team but that wasn't because of Lampard that was because Rooney was playing, Lampard will never be a star player just a supporting role.

Bodzilla

Ure Banned
redfan said:
When he's been there done that I might rate him, for me the jury is still out, and he will never be as good as Scholes at his best. Notice how on Wednesday England played more like a team but that wasn't because of Lampard that was because Rooney was playing, Lampard will never be a star player just a supporting role.
Maybe when Rooney has been there done that I'll rate him.

:houllier:

Bodzilla

Ure Banned
Looking Busy said:
Been where and done what?
Apparently Rooney needs to get where Lampard needs to get to where Scholes needed to get. which apparently was "there" and "that." Or summat.

Just pokin fun, like.

Looking Busy

Davo said:
Lampard's very good, Gerrard is a class above

This really is basic football knowledge.....
It wuld be interesting to see how Gerrard reacts when surrounded by the quality of players that Lampard has around him every week.
Would Gerrard still look the class above. I'm not saying he wouldn't, it's just easier for Gerrard to stand out in the Liverpool side than it is for Lampard to stand out in the Chelsea side, something which he did last season.

Looking Busy

Plechazunga said:
If Gerrard played for Chelsea, he'd probably be better than he is for the dippers, not worse

He wouldn't be being compared to Traore, no, but on the other hand, he wouldn 't be playing with Traore
Some players raise their game when surrounded by the best, others go the other way when being just another good player. Would be interesting to see how Gerrard reacts in that situation. Guess we won't know now

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Looking Busy said:
Some players raise their game when surrounded by the best, others go the other way when being just another good player. Would be interesting to see how Gerrard reacts in that situation. Guess we won't know now
I know

He'd be superb...he is superb

Even though he has a face like a clenched fist, and copper teeth