That Frank Lampard!

Stamford Bridge

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind's already mad
marcus agrippa said:
it's obvious that i'll need to dumb this down for you.

you said that we are now seeing glaring deficiencies that were always present in Scholes' game.

i said, not true. why?

the reason people say that Scholes has lost form is because he doesn't make those late runs of his into the box as often; and when he does get a scoring opportunity, he doesn't bury them.
He doesn't make those late runs of his into the box because he's not playing as forward as he was when he played in the "hole". His late runs aren't as effective anyway because he's lost a yard of pace and by the time he gets there the opposition have already noticed him and are marking him.
This should be crystal to a United supporter, but apparently not to you.

marcus agrippa said:
for reasons of symmetry, i went back 6 years to another Milan side to illustrate that that side of his game (which he had before) is gone: i.e., his form is gone. i could have easily gone back just a couple of years....but i suppose you've no appreciation for intellectual beauty....really no surprises there, but a bit sad.
No, you've gone back 6 years because you're a little stupid and don't realize that in football, 6 years is one generation.

marcus agrippa said:
let's talk about Scholes' mythical defensive side: what defensive side? - every one of us know that there's nothing later in the world than a Scholes tackle.
Exactly my point. Which is why he isn't really suited to midfield where at times you actually have to scrap for the ball and chase back.

marcus agrippa said:
i'd like to see your precious Fatty play without Makelele in the side, see how he does. speaking of which, why all this argument about Gerrard and Lampard in the same team? - that England need someone in the holding role? -could it be that there are certain 'deficiencies' in their game?
He's played without Makalele in England, and his goals-to-games ratio is the best for midfielders in the current England squad, actually.

But obviously because it requires analysis, the point escapes you.

marcus agrippa said:
bottom line: Scholes is an attacking midfielder, not a defensive one. never was, never will be (as his error against Blackburn highlighted)...football is a team sport, and every member of a team has a role, and they start in their respective teams because they are good at it. when later on in their careers, they are asked to perform a different role, their game suffers.
Exactly, because in the different role most of the skills he simply doesn't have a laid bare he looks half the player he is. You said it was a lack of form, now you say it isn't a lack of form, it's actually the position (that was after i blew your "lack of form" nonsense out of the water) which was my original point in the first place.

Thicko.

marcus agrippa said:
see my point above vis-a-vis 'out of position'....
Which was actually copied from my earlier post....

marcus agrippa said:
here's a shovel, dude, dig on....
Sure thing. How deep do you want to be buried?

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Stamford, Scholes was brilliant in midfield when Keano was an animal

He only pushed into the hole when Veron arrived...and played some great stuff there too after a while

When he's in form, he plays well wherever he is. Or played well...we'll have to see.

Stamford Bridge

Plechazunga said:
Stamford, Scholes was brilliant in midfield when Keano was an animal

He only pushed into the hole when Veron arrived...and played some great stuff there too after a while

When he's in form, he plays well wherever he is. Or played well...we'll have to see.
Scholes was amazing in the hole.

When Keane was playing, Scholes didn't have to do any defensive duties because Keane was practically worth 3 men at that point.

Now that Keane is getting on a little, don't you agree that the lesser things - sides of Scholes' game that he just doesn't have - exposes him a little in 4-3-3?

I think while not brilliant he would still do quite a good job in the "hole". With two good midfielders behind him, of course, which doesn't include Fletcher.

Bearded but no genius

Stamford Bridge said:
Scholes was amazing in the hole.

When Keane was playing, Scholes didn't have to do any defensive duties because Keane was practically worth 3 men at that point.

Now that Keane is getting on a little, don't you agree that the lesser things - sides of Scholes' game that he just doesn't have - exposes him a little in 4-3-3?

I think while not brilliant he would still do quite a good job in the "hole". With two good midfielders behind him, of course, which doesn't include Fletcher.
Honestly, all parts of Scholes game are suffering right now.

He needs a hattrick.

marcus agrippa

Stamford Bridge said:
He doesn't make those late runs of his into the box because he's not playing as forward as he was when he played in the "hole". His late runs aren't as effective anyway because he's lost a yard of pace and by the time he gets there the opposition have already noticed him and are marking him.
This should be crystal to a United supporter, but apparently not to you.
:lol:

i knew you'd say that....which was why i had the foresight to pick two situations where he was wide open and NOBODY had picked him up....while you, on the other hand, can't come up with a single one...

Stamford Bridge said:
No, you've gone back 6 years because you're a little stupid and don't realize that in football, 6 years is one generation.
:rolleyes:

tsk tsk...ad hominems don't get you anywhere.
you were the one extolling the virtues of Drogba over Ruud, and you expect me to get a footballing lesson from you?

Stamford Bridge said:
He's played without Makalele in England, and his goals-to-games ratio is the best for midfielders in the current England squad, actually.

But obviously because it requires analysis, the point escapes you.
riiiight...

everyone was talking about how out of form he's been....

suddenly King comes into the holding role and Fatty has a belter of a game. coincidence? only to the incredibly fatuous.

Stamford Bridge said:
Exactly, because in the different role most of the skills he simply doesn't have a laid bare he looks half the player he is. You said it was a lack of form, now you say it isn't a lack of form, it's actually the position (that was after i blew your "lack of form" nonsense out of the water) which was my original point in the first place.

Thicko.
still don't get it, do you?

the only thing you've blown out of the water is...well, your briefs after your belly-flop....

the defensive side's never been Scholes' strongest suit, and to claim that this has now been exposed is similar to claiming that what one is looking for is always in the last place you look. he is asked to play to a more defensive aspect, so his game suffers. lack of form arises from missing clear chances, by which Scholes' contribution to the team used to be judged?

you see? - not so complicated is it? - two factors, two reasons....

Stamford Bridge said:
Sure thing. How deep do you want to be buried?
who's talking about me, dude?- it's like one of those old gangster flicks: you still don't realise the hit's on you....

Stamford Bridge

marcus agrippa said:

i knew you'd say that....which was why i had the foresight to pick two situations where he was wide open and NOBODY had picked him up....while you, on the other hand, can't come up with a single one...
Oh wow, two situations, both 6 years apart.

Very conclusive, then.
Peter Crouch missed a sitter against us when he probably would've buried that chance last season. He must be out of form then, instead of just shite.

marcus agrippa said:
:rolleyes:

tsk tsk...ad hominems don't get you anywhere.
you were the one extolling the virtues of Drogba over Ruud, and you expect me to get a footballing lesson from you?

That's right - change the subject when you get in a bind.
Do you take lessons in arguing from DJS? :D

marcus agrippa said:
riiiight...

everyone was talking about how out of form he's been....

suddenly King comes into the holding role and Fatty has a belter of a game. coincidence? only to the incredibly fatuous.
For your information, this is probably the first time King has played in Midfield under Sven. Lampard has scored plenty of goals for England, especially during the last tournament in Portugal and during qualifying.

But Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime wouldn't know that, of course.

marcus agrippa said:
still don't get it, do you?

the only thing you've blown out of the water is...well, your briefs after your belly-flop....

the defensive side's never been Scholes' strongest suit, and to claim that this has now been exposed is similar to claiming that what one is looking for is always in the last place you look. he is asked to play to a more defensive aspect, so his game suffers. lack of form arises from missing clear chances, by which Scholes' contribution to the team used to be judged?

you see? - not so complicated is it? - two factors, two reasons....
You make absolutely no sense here. First you contradict yourself:

"and to claim that (Scholes absolute lack of defensive nous) has now been exposed is similar to claiming that what one is looking for is always in the last place you look"
"he is asked to play to a more defensive aspect, so his game suffers"

Without the superhuman Keane of 5 years ago behind him, there is only ever going to be one position that Scholes can play well, and that is in the hole. He isn't played there - so the flaws in his game are exposed. Moreso when an aging Keane and the crap Fletcher are being played behind him, who sometimes can't make up for his deficiencies in defense.

Now we come to the peach of a line:
"lack of form arises from missing clear chances"

:lol: :lol:
Yes, quite clearly he has been "out of form" for about 2 years now. :houllier:

marcus agrippa

Stamford Bridge said:
Oh wow, two situations, both 6 years apart.

Very conclusive, then.
Peter Crouch missed a sitter against us when he probably would've buried that chance last season. He must be out of form then, instead of just shite.
i'm really not going to go through the reasons i picked this particular example...read back a little, and try to put two and two together...

Stamford Bridge said:
That's right - change the subject when you get in a bind.
Do you take lessons in arguing from DJS? :D
not really. it just amuses me when what an old teacher of mine once told me happens right before my eyes....people name-call when they start lacking ideas... simple fact, i've come to realise...

Stamford Bridge said:
For your information, this is probably the first time King has played in Midfield under Sven. Lampard has scored plenty of goals for England, especially during the last tournament in Portugal and during qualifying.

But Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime wouldn't know that, of course.
see what i mean?

and who played there before? - another holding player!

Stamford Bridge said:
You make absolutely no sense here. First you contradict yourself:

"and to claim that (Scholes absolute lack of defensive nous) has now been exposed is similar to claiming that what one is looking for is always in the last place you look"
"he is asked to play to a more defensive aspect, so his game suffers"
how do i contradict myself? - no, wait...an insight into the workings of your mind might prove not so good for me...

so: no, i don't contradict myself: it's heads i win, tails i lose with you and the way you think, isn't it?

like i said, read what you wrote before, and what i wrote in response to that, and for Chrissake, man, THINK...i refuse to believe you can be so obstinately, well, irrational....

Stamford Bridge said:
Without the superhuman Keane of 5 years ago behind him, there is only ever going to be one position that Scholes can play well, and that is in the hole. He isn't played there - so the flaws in his game are exposed. Moreso when an aging Keane and the crap Fletcher are being played behind him, who sometimes can't make up for his deficiencies in defense.
wow... :lol:...again!

Stamford Bridge said:
Now we come to the peach of a line:
"lack of form arises from missing clear chances"

:lol: :lol:
Yes, quite clearly he has been "out of form" for about 2 years now. :houllier:
glad you like it...i do try to entertain....

Danny_

The Albert Einstein of Economics
Fat bastard but he does have a habit of scoring important goals. Gerrard is still better though.

Dubai_Devil

marcus agrippa said:
i see what you mean...

and i'm sorry for the part i've played in it...
Its OK, say something about a spastic pumpkin and you'll be fine.

Stamford Bridge

marcus agrippa said:
i'm really not going to go through the reasons i picked this particular example...read back a little, and try to put two and two together...
You're not going to go through the reasons because you're not quite alright up there but you realize if you use that as a reason you'll rightly look a tit.

marcus agrippa said:
not really. it just amuses me when what an old teacher of mine once told me happens right before my eyes....people name-call when they start lacking ideas... simple fact, i've come to realise...
You and DJS must've come from the same school then.

marcus agrippa said:
see what i mean?

and who played there before? - another holding player!
No, actually, Gerrard.
Who is anything but a holding player and rarely plays well for England, in spite of Davo's spastic Henry syndrome or whatever the hell he wants to call it.

marcus agrippa said:
how do i contradict myself? - no, wait...an insight into the workings of your mind might prove not so good for me...

so: no, i don't contradict myself: it's heads i win, tails i lose with you and the way you think, isn't it?

like i said, read what you wrote before, and what i wrote in response to that, and for Chrissake, man, THINK...i refuse to believe you can be so obstinately, well, irrational....
You don't have any point at all do you? Thanks for making my day at work so entertaining. :lol:

marcus agrippa said:
wow... :lol:...again!
glad you like it...i do try to entertain....
Yes well it was entertaining at first.
Reasoning with a Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime like you is starting to get somewhat tedious now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Davo said:
See "Henry syndrome"
Im guessing your refering to Henry playing at such a high level in the league that he suffers from critisism even when he puts out 'good' performances.

You have got to be kidding if you think that applies to Gerrard, in ANY format, league, europe or internationals.. I can understand at times with Liverpool, he must look a class apart being around that load of trash no mater how badly he plays.. but in internationals right alongside the likes of Rooney and Lampard, or even generally compared to other in the league.. Yeah right..

Davo

amolbhatia100 said:
Im guessing your refering to Henry playing at such a high level in the league that he suffers from critisism even when he puts out 'good' performances.

You have got to be kidding if you think that applies to Gerrard, in ANY format, league, europe or internationals.. I can understand at times with Liverpool, he must look a class apart being around that load of trash no mater how badly he plays.. but in internationals right alongside the likes of Rooney and Lampard, or even generally compared to other in the league.. Yeah right..
Ok....you know your stuff