That player you remember - for some strange reason

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Drinkwater, Schlupp.

I'll never forget them because the later is pretty much an onomatopoeia of the first one.

Vidicious

Flop
Afonso Alves. Scored 7-8 in one match in the Eredivisie. Later ripped us apart for Boro and after that game disappeared off the face of the earth. Dunno why I remember him, probably because he feels like a myth.
I created a thread on here before that game calling him a flop, then he proceeded to tear us a new arsehole. Hence my tag line.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Ronan Le Crom.

Purely from playing Pro Evo 5 with mates, getting Troyes as my random team and sticking him up front (he’s a goalkeeper) because he had a funny name and I was 2-0 down.

I then proceeded to win 3-2 thanks to a hat-trick from Le Crom who was a beast in the air and had lightning in his boots.

He subsequently got edited to have 99 stats for everything and bright green hair and beard. He’s a meme now.

I believe IRL he was at PSG for a bit when in his late 30’s/early 40’s. In about 2012.

JSArsenal

Elano, Jo, Banjani and Stephen Ireland- Mainly for how quickly they were shipped out once the revolution got underway

Hilario- His name.

Alberto Riera, Liverpool player and the only thing I remember him doing was scoring at Old Trafford

Who was that Hull player that did the celebration where it looked like he was scolding his teammates but he was actually mocking the manager Phil Brown? Him.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Who was that Hull player that did the celebration where it looked like he was scolding his teammates but he was actually mocking the manager Phil Brown? Him.
Jimmy Bullard. He plays an old lady on Soccer AM these days.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Zenden that used to play for Chelsea
When Liverpool played Barca in Europe around 2000-2001 my mum took me into the city centre just in case they were strolling around marvelling at the decrepit sights and sounds.

Sure enough, Zenden, Luis Enrique and a player who I later learnt to be Ivan de la Pena were walking up the main shopping street. I had a Barça shirt on at the time and asked for their autographs only to have Zenden take it and walk off leaving me to return to my mum thinking a footballer had just nicked a book and a pen off me!

Eventually chased after him as he was looking around the swarm of people wondering where the hell I’d gone bemused as anything.

Luis Enrique asked if I was Liverpool or Barca, to which I showed him the Barca badge under my coat and he patted my head and said good boy in broken English and gladly signed for me. Was one of my favourite players at the time I think purely cause Luis Enrique is a cool sounding name to a young kid so I was made up. Told him to score against the scouse bastards and legged it before any of them heard me.

I never got de la Pena’s autograph and always felt bad for it. Poor guy not getting the famous recognition of the other two, he looked like the kitman!

When Liverpool played Barca in Europe around 2000-2001 my mum took me into the city centre just in case they were strolling around marvelling at the decrepit sights and sounds.

Sure enough, Zenden, Luis Enrique and a player who I later learnt to be Ivan de la Pena were walking up the main shopping street. I had a Barça shirt on at the time and asked for their autographs only to have Zenden take it and walk off leaving me to return to my mum thinking a footballer had just nicked a book and a pen off me!

Eventually chased after him as he was looking around the swarm of people wondering where the hell I’d gone bemused as anything.

Luis Enrique asked if I was Liverpool or Barca, to which I showed him the Barca badge under my coat and he patted my head and said good boy in broken English and gladly signed for me. Was one of my favourite players at the time I think purely cause Luis Enrique is a cool sounding name to a young kid so I was made up. Told him to score against the scouse bastards and legged it before any of them heard me.

I never got de la Pena’s autograph and always felt bad for it. Poor guy not getting the famous recognition of the other two, he looked like the kitman!
Awe thanks for sharing x

Chipper

Adulterer.
Sun Jihai for being shit and for shockingly being inducted into the English football hall of fame in an attempt to suck up to President Xi of China when he was over here visiting.

Elvis Hammond for being called Elvis.

Sparky Rhiwabon

For as long as I can remember I have watched English football, read English football magazines and collected football cards. So I thought I would make a thread where posters could pick that one guy (from Another club) - who they remember from their youth/childhood - for some strange reason.

I will start with David Langan. An irish right-back who started his career with Derby County before Jim Smith paid £350.000 in 1980 to take him to Birmingham. He stayed there for 4 seasons but struggled with a lot of injuries at the end and was released by Ron Saunders. Jim Smith who had taken over as manager of Oxford signed him for the 2nd time and he stayed in Wales until 1987. At the end - he struggled a lot with knee and back-problems, and after playing a little while for Leicester, Bournemouth and Peterborough - he retired from playing at the age of 32.

Why I remember him - simply because at the age of 7 he was one of the first footballcards I remember getting (The topps - pale blue series from 1979 for those interested) - and I thought he looked like a really nice guy :)

Who else ? :)
Oxford isn't in Wales :confused:

Devil81

Chris Kiwomya

Scored a few for Ipswich during the opening season of the Premier League and earned a move to Arsenal.

Don't think he really ever played for them.

flappyjay

Ben Sahar. Simply because I used to like buying him and Victor Moses on fifa 08 or 09

Chipper

Adulterer.
Steve Ogrizovic for playing 4 million games for Coventry and having the wonkiest of noses that must surely have been broken numerous times.

Ian Ormondroyd for being built like Peter Crouch but being much worse.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
In the 90s there was an Ireland player called Townsend or something. Don't know the position or what he looked like, but there you go: Townsend

Gasolin

I'm really bad with memories, but there was a guy called Giuseppe Signori in the Italy team of 94 who reached the final. And for some reason, I remember his name more than Roberto Baggio, mostly because he was left footed.

Also, there was Enrico Chiesa, at Parma. He wasn't exceptional but somehow the name sounded cool. I also remember Dino Baggio, just because I always thought he must be unhappy to have another more famous Baggio around him.

In the EPL, I don't think there was any player I would remember for weird reasons...

Schneckerl

Mostly players who were good in some football video games.
Anthony Vanden Borre (funny though the 2nd young defender God in that game was Kompany... )
Per Ciljian Skjelbred

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Francis Benali, Julian Dicks, Don Hutchinson.

Funky Futurista

Bryan Dabo because I signed him once on FIFA 09 or something, and he still keeps popping up in the later versions and scoring against me. Also see him on my football app from time to time, but can never remember which team he plays for.
Tim Payne because he was in FIFA 14 and then disappeared until FIFA 18. Dunno why I like him, but always sign him and he only scores bangers and sick solo goals. Also, he is T-Payne so I can't forget it.

Reactions: Invictus

JamiePollocksOG

Supports
Manchester City
Gabriel Batistuta.

The Fiorentina and Argentine Forward was an absolute powerhouse and seemingly had everything. Italian football had just arrived on Channel 4 and this guy seemed to score everytime he featured on tv.

Looking back i think i liked his hair more than anything else and his name too.

Revaulx

Forbes Phillipson-Masters.

Plymouth and Bristol City early to mid 1980s. Best footballer’s name ever.

Web of Bissaka

When someone say Bolton, always Kevin Nolan pop up in my head. It's funny we used to link-up with him as potential transfer, Keane replacement or something, before we get Carrick. Scholes when he had that eye problem was sent to scout and watch him play, and he said no to SAF. My memory is fuzzy though so I don't remember much.

Last edited:

Web of Bissaka

Plenty of good names jog memory here.

Solano for sure.
Special mention to Huckerby.
That's one of the wackiest name back in the days. A forward I believe.
Sun Jihai for being shit and for shockingly being inducted into the English football hall of fame in an attempt to suck up to President Xi of China when he was over here visiting.
Praise the sun. :lol: Memorable name. Did he played for MCity or something? Yup, he's that bad.
Tim Payne because he was in FIFA 14 and then disappeared until FIFA 18. Dunno why I like him, but always sign him and he only scores bangers and sick solo goals. Also, he is T-Payne so I can't forget it.
Free transfer and decent in manager mode. Always get him from FIFA 16 to 17. Cool name.
Gabriel Batistuta.

The Fiorentina and Argentine Forward was an absolute powerhouse and seemingly had everything. Italian football had just arrived on Channel 4 and this guy seemed to score everytime he featured on tv.

Looking back i think i liked his hair more than anything else and his name too.
His Kicking power used to be the strongest at 19 or 20 something, Winning Eleven/PES. That kickass shooting and a badass name.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Neil Danns and Chris Iwelumo, purely because they came to Stamford Bridge with Colchester with dreadlocks.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Guti. I always remember thinking he looked an odd fit in the Real sides of the early 2000s packed with Galacticos. Then again he's got over 350 appearances and a cupboard full of medals so he must have been doing something right and I probably underappreciated him as a youngster.

Last edited:

Red_Ramirez

Jason Lee - Mid 90's Forest centre-forward. Because of his pineapple hairstyle and for the mocking, ridicule and mild racism he used to get from fans and media. Mainly remember him now from a skit Fantasy Football did mocking Lee. Remember Baddiel blacking up for that one..

John Bumstead - 80's Chelsea player. He's got Bum in his surname (amusing as a kid). And I always seemed to have doubles and trebles of him in Panini stickers (annoying)

Martin Djetou - Forever linked with us in the late 90's. Promising versatile defender for Monaco. Would be a football hipster favourite these days

MalcolmTucker

FIFA 2003 legend, Matteo Brighi! :drool:

That edition was pretty ridiculous, really — for instance, Cygan was rated only 1 point lower than Thuram (who was in the ESM XI and generally regarded as the best defender in football alongside Nesta/Maldini)...
When I chanced on him for Parma (I believe) it was like a Christmas made out of Italian footballer.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I'm really bad with memories, but there was a guy called Giuseppe Signori in the Italy team of 94 who reached the final. And for some reason, I remember his name more than Roberto Baggio, mostly because he was left footed.

Also, there was Enrico Chiesa, at Parma. He wasn't exceptional but somehow the name sounded cool. I also remember Dino Baggio, just because I always thought he must be unhappy to have another more famous Baggio around him.

In the EPL, I don't think there was any player I would remember for weird reasons...
:drool: Class players. Dino Baggio was quality too

youmeletsfly

Adi Mutu, for sure.

10 years ago we had a friend in our group. He was about to get married with this young upcoming model.

Things were turning strange between them, he followed her one night and found out that Mutu was banging his next wife.

Guess he ll always remember him