That player you remember - for some strange reason

Red_Ramirez

In the 90s there was an Ireland player called Townsend or something. Don't know the position or what he looked like, but there you go: Townsend
Andy Townsend? Former Norwich, Villa, Chelsea centre-midfielder.

We were linked to him a fair few times in the late 80's/early 90's

scoi

Bryan Gunn - I remember him getting sent off playing for Norwich for handling outside of the area circa 1995. Why that springs to mind I don't know.
Tony Yeboah - For that goal that was on match of the day titles for what seems like decades.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Cristiano Ronaldo - Had the same last name as the Brazilian Ronaldo and Ronaldinho.

(Since Batistuta is being mentioned in this thread, why not)

kambinks

Sparky for his volleys. I remember a few keepers for some reason like Bruce Grobbelaar, and David Seaman. And a sampdoria player named Attilio Lombardo. Probably because he's receding hairline looked memorable.

SSSSnake

Claudio Lopez when he was at Valencia. He had a wonder of a left peg. No idea why this player had stuck with me....Maybe it has to do with growing up and watching that great Valencia team.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Martin Jorgensen. Always scored against me in Champ Man 00/01 when he played for Udinese

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Christian Wilhelmsson. Because of that weird hair cut and Boudewijn Zenden, because I kept scoring past my mates with him in Fifa, and it pissed them all off. Plus, he looked like the bad guy from The Mask.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
Wilhelmsson: Great on pes 5 or 6 (can't remember)

I know Beirhoff is not a 'random player' but I find it funny that the only thing I remember about him when he comes up is that Golden Goal, and the only thing that pops to mind when the golden goal comes up is Bierhoff. Has to be one of the strongest associations in my brain.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Dirk Kuyt. THis limited fecker seemed like always play well against us.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sparky for his volleys. I remember a few keepers for some reason like Bruce Grobbelaar, and David Seaman. And a sampdoria player named Attilio Lombardo. Probably because he's receding hairline looked memorable.
Probably not that strange to remember two of the most famous goalkeepers in English league history

Gasolin

Fabrizio Ravenelli. Remember him playing for Middlesbrough. The white hairs on his head used to stand out.
I remember him playing the CL for Juventus, and then all of sudden, being at Marseille and gaining a penalty by falling himself against PSG...

Fingeredmouse

Mark Hughes, Andy Townsend, Gabriel Baristuta, David Seaman and Bruce Grobbelaar: Those players you remember because they’re very famous.

Devil81

In the 90s there was an Ireland player called Townsend or something. Don't know the position or what he looked like, but there you go: Townsend
Wow! you must be young.

Andy Townsend has been a football pundit for nearly 20 years and he was a very well known player as well. Played for Villa and Chelsea.

Adi Mutu, for sure.

10 years ago we had a friend in our group. He was about to get married with this young upcoming model.

Things were turning strange between them, he followed her one night and found out that Mutu was banging his next wife.

Guess he ll always remember him
So by this I'm guessing he still married the up and coming model even though he knew she'd been getting shafted by Adrian Mutu?

My guessing is she loved a bit of the Colombian marching powder.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Wow! you must be young.

One thing I’m getting from this thread is that I’m an old fart :lol:

There’s fortunately a few that I remember as ‘odd’ names from my youth, so I know a few people are on my level

TGK

Supports
Liverpool
Wow! you must be young.

Andy Townsend has been a football pundit for nearly 20 years and he was a very well known player as well. Played for Villa and Chelsea.

So by this I'm guessing he still married the up and coming model even though he knew she'd been getting shafted by Adrian Mutu?

My guessing is she loved a bit of the Colombian marching powder.
No. He hasn't. I don't know what you call what he's been doing for twenty years, but punditry isn't it.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
Bogdan Lobont: Still the best save I've ever seen in football I reckon.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Wow! you must be young.

Andy Townsend has been a football pundit for nearly 20 years and he was a very well known player as well. Played for Villa and Chelsea
He is? I have no clue,but in the 90s we had no premier league coverage.

Im 34, so yes Im still young ;)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
For some random reason Shaka Hislop is one of the players I associate most with late 90's PL football.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I still recall most of the Blackburn side that won the title in 94/95, packed with these sorts of players:

Flowers, Le Saux, Hendry, Berg, Ripley, Wilcox, Batty, Sherwood, Sutton, Shearer, Gallagher. Who was the right-back?

Also Newcastle around that time - Sellars, Venison, Beresford, Fox, Howey, Lee, Peacock, Watson.

Shout-out to this thread - https://www.redcafe.net/threads/absolutely-random-footballers-from-the-1990s.201009/

Chipper

Adulterer.
Aston Villa player Tony Daley for modelling a shell suit from an obscure sportswear brand that I think was called Osabisa in the Brian Mills home shopping catalogue, where you paid something like 99p a week for 17 years. I had one, and could probably dig out a photo of me in it at my mum's.

Searched online a couple of times in the past for a pic of him in it to make sure it wasn't just my imagination and I never found anything.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Pat Sharkey - a young Irish winger for Ipswich Town who played against United circa 76 when they beat us 3-0, he tore us to pieces that day, we just couldn't get near him, and we had a bloody good team at the time - thought they'd unearthed another great young talent, deffo one to keep an eye on, yet a few years later after playing for Mansfield Town/Colchester United and Peterborough United he was back playing football in Ireland.

Think the performance against United went to his head, and he never recovered, that and the fact he liked a drink, allegedly

Skubah

Nilmar - I had a friend who used to think Nilmar and Neymar were the same people and it took up until Neymars move to Barcelona for us to realise that we had been talking about completely separate players the whole time.

Also Mark De Man for obvious reasons...

Red_Ramirez

Claudio Lopez when he was at Valencia. He had a wonder of a left peg. No idea why this player had stuck with me....Maybe it has to do with growing up and watching that great Valencia team.
Yeah Valencia 1999-2004 was a great era for them if i remember correctly. Reached back to back CL finals in 2000 & 2001 and won a League and UEFA Cup double in 2004.

Some top individuals like Speedster Claudio Lopez, Roberto Ayala, Mendieta, Aimar, Canizares, Baraja, Vicente etc

TBH they were an even better team

lysglimt

Scout
I still recall most of the Blackburn side that won the title in 94/95, packed with these sorts of players:

Flowers, Le Saux, Hendry, Berg, Ripley, Wilcox, Batty, Sherwood, Sutton, Shearer, Gallagher. Who was the right-back?
Blackburn usually lined up like this in that season

Flowers - Le Saux, Hendry, Pearce (Gale), Berg - Wilcox, Sherwood, Atkins(Warhurst), Ripley - Sutton and Shearer

Batty played just a few games because he broke his leg and missed practically the entire season.

Mettaur

Supports
Liverpool
Gael Kakuta - Remember Chelsea got into huge trouble for signing him in his youth. In the end, he isn't even that good for them.

Andrea Dossena - A useless player who wouldn't be remembered if he didn't score against both Real Madrid and Man United within one week.

poleglass red

Johnny Metgod .bald headed dutch man who scored a belter free kick back in the day, probably 1985-86, somewhere in that time frame

baskinginthesun

Cobi Jones. Played one season with Coventry (94/95) then moved back to the US and played the rest of his career with the LA Galaxy.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Blackburn usually lined up like this in that season

Flowers - Le Saux, Hendry, Pearce (Gale), Berg - Wilcox, Sherwood, Atkins(Warhurst), Ripley - Sutton and Shearer

Batty played just a few games because he broke his leg and missed practically the entire season.
Ah yeah Ian Pearce the main one I couldn't remember.

Ekeke

Georgiou Kinkladze. Almost the Messi before Messi in terms of dribbling through central areas with his left foot. Had none of the productivity of Messi though. When I was a kid I was expecting him to join a much bigger premier league after City, but instead he was sold to Ajax and didnt make it there, came back and played for Derby.

RedRob

"I believe. I believe there will be more. T
Muzzy Izzet, had a wierd name.
Inappropriate Z : letters ratio from that man.

Andy Reid - everyone's got a mate who looks like Andy Reid. Most of them aren't professional footballers.

Matt Holland - was convinced post World Cup 2002 that he'd be great. He wasn't.

Junichi Inamoto - see Matt Holland, except Japanese. Not sure anyone has ever been described as, "The Japanese Matt Holland," before?

Moriarty

Trevor Anderson, if only for his headed winner at Leeds in 1973. He was a Belfast lad and, as was always the case back then, immediately attracted comparisons to George Best.