That player you remember - for some strange reason

lysglimt

Scout
For as long as I can remember I have watched English football, read English football magazines and collected football cards. So I thought I would make a thread where posters could pick that one guy (from Another club) - who they remember from their youth/childhood - for some strange reason.

I will start with David Langan. An irish right-back who started his career with Derby County before Jim Smith paid £350.000 in 1980 to take him to Birmingham. He stayed there for 4 seasons but struggled with a lot of injuries at the end and was released by Ron Saunders. Jim Smith who had taken over as manager of Oxford signed him for the 2nd time and he stayed in Wales until 1987. At the end - he struggled a lot with knee and back-problems, and after playing a little while for Leicester, Bournemouth and Peterborough - he retired from playing at the age of 32.

Why I remember him - simply because at the age of 7 he was one of the first footballcards I remember getting (The topps - pale blue series from 1979 for those interested) - and I thought he looked like a really nice guy :)

Who else ? :)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Afonso Alves. Scored 7-8 in one match in the Eredivisie. Later ripped us apart for Boro and after that game disappeared off the face of the earth. Dunno why I remember him, probably because he feels like a myth.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Peter Ndlovu. Don’t know why but I just remember him in his Coventry kit scoring a goal

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
FIFA 2003 legend, Matteo Brighi! :drool:

That edition was pretty ridiculous, really — for instance, Cygan was rated only 1 point lower than Thuram (who was in the ESM XI and generally regarded as the best defender in football alongside Nesta/Maldini)...

Chipper

Adulterer.
Mickey Evans - One of the most obscure players to win Premier League player of the month.

He was a forward signed for Southampton from Plymouth for £650,000 in March 1997, pre transfer window days. Graeme Souness was manager and this was the same season that the Ali Dia incident happened. Evans scored 4 goals in his Southampton career, all of them in April '97 which won him the award and it helped lift Southampton out of the relegation zone.

Souness quit at the end of the season, Dave Jones didn't really fancy Evans and he was sold to West Brom in the Championship 6 months after arriving at Southampton. 3 years at WBA where he hardly scored were followed by 1 season at Bristol Rovers. He then headed back to where it all began at Plymouth where he spent 6 seasons before winding down his career with a brief spell at Torquay.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Sergio Conceicao
Watching him score a hattrick against Germany in the Euros has to be one of the most surreal football experiences ever.

Only hattrick he scored in his whole career.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Gary McAllister. Coventry version. Great in champ man 95/96.

Also, Daniel Amokachi for the same reason.

Eric's Seagull

Got to be Ali Dia infamous cousin(although no relation to all-time great George Weah). The biggest blagger I have heard about in the whole of professsional football.

He must have had the gift with his tongue to convince Graham Souness, who I thought would have been able to see a con artist claiming that he was George Weah's cousin (which he wasn't) , had played for Paris Germain when he didn't (I think Souness must have been so impressed with Dia's way with words that he didn't contact PSG to check) and also believing that he played for his country 13 times (which he didn't). He managed to play 53 minutes in his only game for Southampton, coming on as a substitute then getting substituted himself, where Matt Le Tissier called him among other things (not so polite) ''Bambi on ice'' and Souness later remarked "Within the first five minutes of the first training session we knew he was a dumpling."

Got to give it to the player for persistence and acting ability alone he deserves to go down in Premiership Folklore.

Here is an article with further information: https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ia-legendary-football-hoaxster-turned-houdini

Last edited:

MuFc_1992

Matt Taylor. Never noticed him when watching live but he always popped up with some worldies in the highlights.

Tarrou

Micky Quinn, prolific fat-as-feck striker.. looked like he could down a pint in 2 seconds

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Morten Gamst Pederson. Blackburn **** hero, looked like he was in a boyband and always seemed to play well against us.

Amr Zaki. Was shit hot for Wigan for like half a season before dissapearing into obscurity.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I always recall James Morrison for scoring screamers against us more than once and hacking down Ronaldo after he was showboating in front of him.

MuFc_1992

Morten Gamst Pederson. Blackburn **** hero, looked like he was in a boyband and always seemed to play well against us.

Amr Zaki. Was shit hot for Wigan for like half a season before dissapearing into obscurity.
Also loved the blackburn kit back then

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Sean Davis CM for Fulham.
Was actually fairly good for a certain period, I think I've seen him first after Fulham won promotion in 2001 (or 2002?). Looked like a poor man's version of Guardiola pinging long balls from defensive midfield.

FrantikChicken

Ed De Goey - for some reason I immediately thought of him when i read the thread title. I just remember his picture from a CL sticker book from 98' or somewhere there. Van Der Sar was my fav keeper from since I can remember and it made me think that all Holland keepers must be very good hahaha

Matthew Taylor - scored some absolute wonder goals

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Gael Kakuta because he was extraordinary as a youth player and did close to nothing on the professional level, but then again you have thousands of those...but for some reason he sticks out to me.

fitforwork

Micky Quinn, prolific fat-as-feck striker.. looked like he could down a pint in 2 seconds
He was at coventry scoring goals for fun when they played a xmas match at OT (1992) Coventry fans ''he's fat he's round he scores on every ground, Mickey Quinn Mickey Quinn''...Utd fans respond 'he's fat he's scouse he'll rob yer feckin house Mickey Quinn Mickey Quinn'

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
. He managed to play 53 minutes in his only game for Southampton, coming on as a substitute then getting substituted himself, where Matt Le Tissier called him among other things (not so polite) ''Bambi on ice'' and Souness later remarked "Within the first five minutes of the first training session we knew he was a dumpling."

i
If that is true, why on earth put him in for a game? Unless, inexplicably the game came before the first training sesh?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Jordan Rhodes..always used to score against me in FM