That post match interview with our manager

I’m just curious, how many think Jose is still the right man to lead the club forward?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

simplyared

Just listened to the interview on sky sports and I cannot believe what Mourinho said regarding his own players.

You cannot go out in public and slag your players off like that. He just used his own players to give himself some slack and prove to everyone how right he is.

Then at the end he says we should be more than satisfied if we finish second. The only thing that was lacking in that comment was ” with these shit players I’ve got to work with”

Thought he’d gone too far in an earlier interview when he was in need of boosting his ego, mentioning previous defeats he had inflicted on the club, when he was manager elsewhere..

Certainly no one out there can justify a manager for Manchester Utd, representing our club, going out in the media with those comments? Views on this please!

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
He will throw anyone under the bus in order to protect himself.

donkeyfish

I don't mind that much, as long as he's honest with his players. Which I think he is. In a way I prefer managers and players that are more open about their feelings and thoughts than just the standard phrases.

It's difficult to know how the players take it though, pretty much a pure speculative exercise. I'd say if you play a terrible game you should be upset because you played a terrible game, not because your coach told you or the world. But what I think should be isn't necessarily how it is.

OldSchoolManc

It is highly likely that he has spoken to them in private and it hasn’t worked.
He is most likely trying to embarrass the players into making more of an effort, but some of them just don’t care. Why would they come into the 1st team and not try to prove a point? Because they have an attitude that is not right for this club.
Show some passion! Or go!

Theonas

Scout
Just listened to the interview on sky sports and I cannot believe what Mourinho said regarding his own players.

You cannot go out in public and slag your players off like that. He just used his own players to give himself some slack and prove to everyone how right he is.

Then at the end he says we should be more than satisfied if we finish second. The only thing that was lacking in that comment was ” with these shit players I’ve got to work with”

Thought he’d gone too far in an earlier interview when he was in need of boosting his ego, mentioning previous defeats he had inflicted on the club, when he was manager elsewhere..

Certainly no one out there can justify a manager for Manchester Utd, representing our club, going out in the media with those comments? Views on this please!
:lol: The views will be like the rest of this forum. Some looking at it as the latest example of his egocentric nature where he has no hesitation about throwing anyone under the bus. Others will see it as nothing more than honest judgement of players they themselves don't rate and that he is just "saying like it is". It's always been a cult mentality around that man because he is admittedly a very unique character and it makes his supporters almost religious in their adulation.

shaky

certainly needed yet another Jose thread to discuss this on.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Did he not defend Lukaku vehemently for 2months when he was underperforming he threw Martial and Rashford under the bus in one game.

I can see how players will be dying to play under him

The Firestarter

Setting himself perfectly for the 3rd season. He should not get another top job after this.

cletus7

!
The remarkable thing is that he seemed to be trying to restrain himself in that interview. It’s not very nice, but is it true? Could spurs, L’pool and Chelsea be finishing above us with another manager in charge... probably.

Irrational.

I remember Keane was kicked out for less than this. Surprised he gets away with it so easily.

Great manager but I don't agree with him here.

Canagel

Pep : If we win it's because of the players. If we lose I'm 100% responsible

Klopp: I take the full responsibility for this loss. It was an average day for us.

But Mourinho after losing goes from players to referees to anyone but himself. To this day I have never seen him take any responsibility for a defeat. I do not understand why he likes to separate himself from failure. Infact if players aren't responding to you and on numerous occasions he's told us they do things he told them not to do then it just highlights your failings as a manager. Against Spurs in January he said he'd worked on nullifying the long ball to Kane. Within 10 seconds they scored. Against Brighton he told us he'd worked with the players on faster build up etc. But again we don't see that. He picks the team, chooses the tactics, sets out the game plan. If it's not being carried out and not once not twice but pretty much every few games then I'm sorry but manager is at fault.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
He won't have any players left to fight his cause if he continues like this. It's not a surprising interview after his post match Sevilla one which made me give up totally on him.

The man is a classic narcissist. He will always be doing this unfortunately until the day he goes..

Decomposing In Paris

Thing is, people act as though passing the blame is something only Mourinho is doing at United.

I'm a little concerned at the number of voices around the game, be it hackjob pundits, click bait journalists, or the players agents.

If the players aren't responsible for their own performance, where are we?

It's not like Rashford and Martial were played at fullback, or that anyone was particularly played out of position. Everyone who played is a full international. Does the manager need to take the blame? Is it even helpful to do so? Most pundits, journalists and agents would probably just agree with him.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He won't have any players left to fight his cause if he continues like this. It's not a surprising interview after his post match Sevilla one which made me give up totally on him.

The man is a classic narcissist. He will always be doing this unfortunately until the day he goes..
You wonder what potential signings are thinking about these comments.

clumsy85

Setting himself perfectly for the 3rd season. He should not get another top job after this.
Don't understand this mentality. Clear, demonstrable (albeit incremental) improvement has been made year on year. I'm not sold on the way he has us playing by any means, but to write one of the most successful managers around off on the back of a season which could still be arguably an improvement on the last strikes me as odd.

Decomposing In Paris

Klopp: I take the full responsibility for this loss. It was an average day for us.

But Mourinho after losing goes from players to referees to anyone but himself. To this day I have never seen him take any responsibility for a defeat. I do not understand why he likes to separate himself from failure. Infact if players aren't responding to you and on numerous occasions he's told us they do things he told them not to do then it just highlights your failings as a manager. Against Spurs in January he said he'd worked on nullifying the long ball to Kane. Within 10 seconds they scored. Against Brighton he told us he'd worked with the players on faster build up etc. But again we don't see that.
It's easy for Pep to be magnanimous in defeat because he's running away with the league.

Klopp certainly does not take full responsibility. He's blamed everything from the linesman to the dryness of the pitch.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
You wonder what potential signings are thinking about these comments.
There's that too.
Later this year if we're not doing well again, he will throw more players under the bus. We'll be left with Fellaini being his only 'friend'. Fellaini vs City - can't wait:drool:
:(

aman92

Supports
Liverpool
Are people really surprised by this? He always throws his players under the bus the first opportunity he gets to save his skin. The biggest egomaniac in World Football, much bigger than even Cristiano Ronaldo.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
He's a complete knobhead. Get him out of this club.

GiddyUp

Ohhhh, how dare our consistently successful manager call out a few millionaire players because they struggle to do the most simplistic things on a football pitch. Mourinho is right, Martial and Rashford have been given ample opportunities this season and have performed to the level expected about five times between them.
Rashford does a token jump (not acceptable for a no.9 in this league)when we bypass our slow midfield or takes the wrong touch or turn 9 out 10 times. Martial is so predictable and easy to close out of the game.
Both have tremendous potential, but at this moment in time that's all it is. Manchester United should not be building a team around such young and inconsistent players. Before anyone mentions the class of 92, they came up together and were on no where near the money or 1st team football that Martial and Rashford are on now. They grew in to the side and did exactly what the manager instructed. They also had fight for the club.
We should definitely sell Martial if he is not willing to dig in and improve. Rashford just needs to be integrated correctly and playing every game is doing him no favors. I even doubt Sir Alex would be relying on these two without being ready to pounce on a player that can perform regularly.
On a side note a big problem I see are not enough leaders in this team. Our senior players who have been around the club for a while are
Valencia/Smalling/Young, kind of pathetic. Players who never fight when the chips are down are pretty much the rest except Lukaku/Sanchez/Pogba. Matic just goes about his business and does what the manager needs on the pitch. We need vocal players who are not afraid to give a dressing down to certain players and can offer encouragement when needed. I do trust Mourinho to get it done more then any player in this squad outside of De Gea.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
If he's not parking buses he's throwing people under them.

I'm sure someone on here said that when he was Chelsea manager. I don't agree but it made me laugh.

Canagel

It's easy for Pep to be magnanimous in defeat because he's running away with the league.

Klopp certainly does not take full responsibility. He's blamed everything from the linesman to the dryness of the pitch.
No but there's a big difference. When Klopp has blamed these things it's not because of a basic failing to get the message through to his players. Its just him being bitter. Mourinho is not being bitter. He genuinely looks like he hasn't got a clue what needs to be done to actually rectify the clear issues we have on the pitch. He doesn't address these failings and instead takes digs at his own players. Klopp can sometimes be a sore loser but actually I have seen him accept responsibility for defeats.

See: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...fa-cup-exit-wolves-paul-lambert-a7551066.html

http://www.espn.com/soccer/liverpoo...esponsibility-for-liverpools-recent-struggles

Mourinho can feck off really. I've had enough of him throwing players under the bus to protect himself. He hadn't got a clue about how to build squad morale and his man management methods are clearly questionable.

Skolden

Klopp: I take the full responsibility for this loss. It was an average day for us./QUOTE]

Lol are you Serious? Klopp is always blaming the ref, the field, offside goal in another game etc etc

Everyone here is experts how to motivate players and the manager who have won it all have no clue?

Get a grip guys

steffyr2

Ohhhh, how dare our consistently successful manager call out a few millionaire players because they struggle to do the most simplistic things on a football pitch. Mourinho is right, Martial and Rashford have been given ample opportunities this season and have performed to the level expected about five times between them.
Rashford does a token jump (not acceptable for a no.9 in this league)when we bypass our slow midfield or takes the wrong touch or turn 9 out 10 times. Martial is so predictable and easy to close out of the game.
Both have tremendous potential, but at this moment in time that's all it is. Manchester United should not be building a team around such young and inconsistent players. Before anyone mentions the class of 92, they came up together and were on no where near the money or 1st team football that Martial and Rashford are on now. They grew in to the side and did exactly what the manager instructed. They also had fight for the club.
We should definitely sell Martial if he is not willing to dig in and improve. Rashford just needs to be integrated correctly and playing every game is doing him no favors. I even doubt Sir Alex would be relying on these two without being ready to pounce on a player that can perform regularly.
On a side note a big problem I see are not enough leaders in this team. Our senior players who have been around the club for a while are
Valencia/Smalling/Young, kind of pathetic. Players who never fight when the chips are down are pretty much the rest except Lukaku/Sanchez/Pogba. Matic just goes about his business and does what the manager needs on the pitch. We need vocal players who are not afraid to give a dressing down to certain players and can offer encouragement when needed. I do trust Mourinho to get it done more then any player in this squad outside of De Gea.
This. I can't figure out why we're so understanding of a bunch of non-performers and non-tryers these days. We spend multi-millions on them and then get upset because the manager might have hurt their feelings!

SER19

I usually lean towards giving mourinho the benefit of doubt and as manager judging however he sees fit to provoke or motivate a player reaction.

His comments about “now you know why I always play lukaku”drove mad. Two weeks ago we surrendered the title at home to the worst team in the league with lukaku up top and never looked like scoring, and many other times this season. It was an absurd thing to say. We need a game plan sorted this summer we look so blunt attacking

Saying that, some of these players have failed under three consecutive managers, when is it their fault?

GiddyUp

Next season is probably his last here.

But this players have shown under a number of different managers that they are a bunch of spineless chickens.
That fact gets lost on a lot of people here. Players left from SAF have failed miserably to instill that mentality and Mourinho is trying everything possible to reignite it with no joy. Fellaini is a player of limited ability but a valuable squad member and is good for a few points every season and Mata is just too fecking nice, easily the most frustrating player for me yesterday. The Van Gaal signings have offered nothing only false hope and a slow/ lazy style that is frustrating. Slow play is ingrained in this squad because of these two years. Mourinhos signings are closer to what we need here and we have had two pretty decent seasons during an essential rebuild of the club. His teams are successful when the squad gives everything but unfortunately he has failed to moulding a cohesive unit. We currently play as individuals highlighted by missed runs or the unwillingness to create something in attack. Frustrating couple of years but not disappointing, we will get it right.

Litch

This. I can't figure out why we're so understanding of a bunch of non-performers and non-tryers these days. We spend multi-millions on them and then get upset because the manager might have hurt their feelings!
So true. Not sure why Jose is responsible for players being able to pass to each other. Not much to ask for for 100k a week.....

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
If he's not parking buses he's throwing people under them.

I'm sure someone on here said that when he was Chelsea manager. I don't agree but it made me laugh.
Was a great quote from whoever said it back then, and it's still bang on the money.

JohnnyKills

I think he will end up at somewhere like Valencia or back at Inter/Porto. And he'll be brilliant, because that sort of club is ideal for him.

Litch

That fact gets lost on a lot of people here. Players left from SAF have failed miserably to instill that mentality and Mourinho is trying everything possible to reignite it with no joy. Fellaini is a player of limited ability but a valuable squad member and is good for a few points every season and Mata is just too fecking nice, easily the most frustrating player for me yesterday. The Van Gaal signings have offered nothing only false hope and a slow/ lazy style that is frustrating. Slow play is ingrained in this squad because of these two years. Mourinhos signings are closer to what we need here and we have had two pretty decent seasons during an essential rebuild of the club. His teams are successful when the squad gives everything but unfortunately he has failed to moulding a cohesive unit. We currently play as individuals highlighted by missed runs or the unwillingness to create something in attack. Frustrating couple of years but not disappointing, we will get it right.
Like that. The motivation is to finish 2nd but even throwing them under the bus won't stop them from think about their beach holidays....

GiddyUp

I'm sure it's not from lack of trying from our manager. No way does any coach send a team out to serve up such a non performance in attack. At this point Lukaku is better across the forward line then Martial, Rashford and Mata. If a player as green as these two fail to adapt their game to their managers instructions then I don't see much of a career for them at the top echelons of the game.