That post match interview with our manager

I’m just curious, how many think Jose is still the right man to lead the club forward?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Champagne Football

Not "in the **** of Jose", but I would be disappointed if our manager didn't call out some of these half-hearted mercenaries.
I've never seen such a spineless group of players, wearing our shirt.
You can sort of sympathize with one or two but others most certainly not. Martial and Rashford can put in a worldie performance one week and then not be seen again for many months. Players need a run of 5 or 10 games before they can be expected to perform. Alexis Sanchez being a recent example. Rashford and Martial would be performing better if they had the confidence of manager behind them. The likes of Mata and Darmian though can do one. Squad players on big money who are more than happy to pick up the money sitting on the bench instead of fecking off to get first team football elsewhere on a slightly lesser salary.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Don't really get the hate to be honest.

If I didn't do my job well then I'd hear about it and I'd make sure I improve for future. Why do people think footballers need to be wrapped in cotton wool and not have a bad word said about them?

They didn't do their job, so they should get a right kick up the ass.

If they want to be all snowflakey about it and say they've had their feelings hurt, get a grip. If they take it on board and it motivates them to work harder/longer and put more effort in, then good...you're a United player, so show us.
A good boss would call you into his/her office and discuss your non performance in private.

How would you feel if your boss stood up in a conference and ripped your performance to shreds in front of the whole company?

That’s bad management.

astracrazy

Let the players have it. Half of them have been stealing a wage from this club for years. Just putting on the Utd shirt has gone to there head. The sooners Jose gets rid of the deadwood the better and i think this summer will be the summer.

Its amazing. One thread is critising the players then another thread is moaning at jose for critising the players. As if we know what goes on behind the scenes anyway. Im sure doing it in public is the final straw.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
I agree he shouldn't be doing that and it's not turned out as well as some have hoped during his tenure so far but, some vastly overrate a lot of our players.

There is faults at both ends. We've all seen limited footballers go on to have amazing, trophy filled careers. All because they have the mentality.

I have to question the mentality of certain players.
Whatever about Mourinho's methods, you can't say he doesn't have a winning mentality

steffyr2

Yeah he needs to sell them now like he did with Salah and KDB. There's no way they're ever going to amount to anything just Look where Salah and KDB are now he was obviously right with them. Oh wait.
Maybe if Man Utd fans really really really have the time/patience for Rashford and Martial to be great, we should explain to Mourinho that winning/titles/CL doesn't matter to us anymore, that we really just want these particular players to stay at Utd -- good, bad or indifferent.

Well, yesterday they were bad, and I don't see a bunch of posts here about how great it was that Mourinho played them. Aren't people pleased that they played? Someday, maybe we keep playing them every game, they'll eventually start to try hard, move to the right space, and make the right decisions.

beedoubleyou

One more year. Do or die for Jose. He's, arguably, just about earned it. Personally, I think it's a waste of time and he's done at the top level, hope I'm wrong though.

vayid

The man can still get results, grind out wins and get a respectable amount of points.

But you don't have to be genius to figure out this is a bad man-management and not the best way to build a team spirit. Not once did he take the responsibility for the result. There is no "we", but "I" in his speeches. Only players who got away with him are those rare ones for whom he thinks they are fully loyal and disciplined. Many people here think that there are players in this team who are not good enough and while that is true (like in every club), the problem is that his perception of who is suited to stay is clearly different from people's opinion and based mostly on that loyalty and discipline, so he wants someone like Fellaini to stay and the likes of Lukaku, Matic, Young, Valencia will have his protection at all time.
Young players are inconsistent, that's because they are young. They may become great, or not, but to get the best out of them is certainly not to go all out in the public. And if you have something you mind them, deal with it behind closed doors. It is not like he wants to get a reaction and better performances out of Martial, he will most likely go in a month or so.

We knew what we are getting with the man. In terms of results, there is not much you can say to him, aside from CL. Heck, in most other seasons we would be at least close to the title and in FA Cup final, so you can say he is the first one after SAF who has done a solid/good job from that perspective.
But it was always going to be a conflicted journey considering his personality and playing style, dividing the fan base along the way. So, we can't even complain much. If we thought he is going to change while being United manager, well, then the joke is on us (me being in that group).

Hope he has a great transfer window in the summer. He needs one, as you can't always point the blame in a different direction.
Just to add to that, are martial and rashers Jose’s type of players, I don’t think so. I still believe rashford has a chance with us but I don’t see martial staying here.

Some players need to play with freedom. Look at how Ronaldo played, he had a lot of freedom for us and it was great to watch him play. Likewise with martial in his first season with us, he wasn’t necessarily tasked with tracking back all the time and he was playing up front he looked really good too. But with Jose, it’s a specific way of playing and his way is defend first and then attack.

Players like martial, rashers and even pogba are not suited to his style of play.

Question is, if we give Jose more money to spend in the transfer will he get it right cause at the moment even the players he has signed have all underwhelmed bar lukaku. And yes I don’t think matic has been as brilliant as most of you say ever since the defeat to Chelsea at Stamford bridge his performances dropped and he holds on to the ball for to long he needs to be the one setting the tempo in midfield.

AllezLesDiables

If I was managing a team (football or otherwise) and certain people weren't putting in the effort, or weren't listening to me - on a consistent basis- then yes absolutely I would criticise them in front of their peers. Maybe in your world of chocolate rabbits and pretty rainbows everything is solved with a hug and a smile. In the real world some people need a good bollocking and to be told to get their act together and sort their shit out. If they can't do that then you get rid.

I'm sick of people defending our players after every abysmal performance. Some of them aren't fit to wear the United shirt, but it's the manager who takes the flack for not managing them properly. There's plenty of criticism that can be thrown at Jose, but he can't be blamed for every terrible individual player performance.
Nobody is defending the players. They’re tired of the players getting the blame every single and Mourinho not manning up and taking the blame for his shithouse tactics(Hello Sevilla?!).

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
In defence of Mourinho didn't he say similar after the West Brom game and you then got an excellent performance v Spurs.

dpansheth

What do you think about Matic and Fellaini's performances yesterday? Do you think they showed urgency or desire? If they are also part of same problem, Why Jose like them and praise them often?

I hope Fellaini goes.. in my opinion he’s an option or plan C only because our lack of pace in the starting eleven. If we have a more compatible squad he’d gone. I didn’t include him because i think he’s going. Matic was alright. He did his job. The tactical changes that has happened this decade after tiki taka requires full backs be more integrated in attack, and center backs need passing game, more than what smalling offers. He’s more old fashioned English defender.

dpansheth

A good boss would call you into his/her office and discuss your non performance in private.

How would you feel if your boss stood up in a conference and ripped your performance to shreds in front of the whole company?

That’s bad management.

Dont agree. The game of football requires different management than your office management.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I bet many that are whinging in here about Mourinho are the exact same types who whine on about 'Generation Snowflake' and so on...

What he's said is bang on. This performance was not good enough, and it wasn't his tactics, it was the performance from a group of players that should've more on their game.

Top, top managers demand top, top performances. If you think the performances that Rashford, Pogba, Martial, Darmian etc are turning in would pass at Real, or Barca, or even fecking citeh you're mad, because they wouldn't.

As a club we put a lot of pressure on managers to support youth etc, and it's gotten to the point where it can at times be to the detriment of the club.

Listen to what Mourinho said this week about McTominay! Look how he's stood by Pogba for previous bad form.

We've accepted mediocrity for way, way too long post-Fergie. And I feel José is essentially correct.

lsd

The Oracle
How many players have ever come out in public and criticised Jose as a manager ?

I'm getting more than a little sick of haters here on redcafe making up rubbish because they don't like a person.

ravi2

Not "in the **** of Jose", but I would be disappointed if our manager didn't call out some of these half-hearted mercenaries.
I've never seen such a spineless group of players, wearing our shirt.
Exactly, the players have gotten a free pass for too long.
Jose has most likely talked to them in private and its gotten him nowhere. He needs to clear out all the deadwood this summer.

Water Melon

Maybe Jose needs to look at himself first? Maybe he needs at least to get the best out of the players that he has signed? Maybe he needs to learn a bit about humility? Maybe he needs to realize that he is ultimately responsible for the team's performance but will not be allowed to replace the whole squad.

stevoc

I remember Keane was kicked out for less than this. Surprised he gets away with it so easily.

Great manager but I don't agree with him here.
He wasn't really though, that interview is not why he left the club. He left because he verbally attacked the assistant manager and questioned Ferguson in front of the rest of the squad as far as i'm aware.

Carolina Red

Staff
:lol: The views will be like the rest of this forum. Some looking at it as the latest example of his egocentric nature where he has no hesitation about throwing anyone under the bus. Others will see it as nothing more than honest judgement of players they themselves don't rate and that he is just "saying like it is". It's always been a **** mentality around that man because he is admittedly a very unique character and it makes his supporters almost religious in their adulation.
You hit the nail on the head here, IMO.

Part of me thinks he must be a poster on here when he says stuff like that.

Offsideagain

He gave some players a game against a team fighting for their PL wages, it’s happened twice before. In my eyes a failure of management on his part amplified by the woeful display by the players. Play the best team in every game.

Again, no pace a or passion apart from Rashford running around like a headless chicken. He’s still learning but he wasn’t helped by the senior players at all.

Next season we will finish top five but City and Liverpool will fight it out for the title unless the club throw a shedload of money at Jose. If not, he’ll be off this time next year. United shouldn’t be losing to West Brom, Huddersfield and Brighton’s of this world in the same season.

Revaulx

He wasn't really though, that interview is not why he left the club. He left because he verbally attacked the assistant manager and questioned Ferguson in front of the rest of the squad as far as i'm aware.
He was got rid of because he was in massive decline, couldn’t handle it and blamed everyone else. If he’d kept his mouth shut and accepted he was past it his departure would have been a lot less sudden.

M Bison

Supports
York City
He’s gone too far with the interview but he’s not said anything that’s not been said on here and or what most fans are thinking.

Jose’s no saint and he shouldn’t have gone that far but the players were shambolic against Brighton and deserved to be called out and criticised.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Pep : If we win it's because of the players. If we lose I'm 100% responsible

Klopp: I take the full responsibility for this loss. It was an average day for us.

But Mourinho after losing goes from players to referees to anyone but himself. To this day I have never seen him take any responsibility for a defeat. I do not understand why he likes to separate himself from failure. Infact if players aren't responding to you and on numerous occasions he's told us they do things he told them not to do then it just highlights your failings as a manager. Against Spurs in January he said he'd worked on nullifying the long ball to Kane. Within 10 seconds they scored. Against Brighton he told us he'd worked with the players on faster build up etc. But again we don't see that. He picks the team, chooses the tactics, sets out the game plan. If it's not being carried out and not once not twice but pretty much every few games then I'm sorry but manager is at fault.
The manager has full control over the team, and if they fail to perform then he is certainly at fault.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive

That’s bad management.
I'd hold my hands up and admit i've been shit. Then i'd make a darting run down the right hand side of the conference, couple of step overs, and flick a beautiful cross into the middle of the room awaiting my colleague to provide me with my assist.

Stactix

I think it's quite simple really, where is his outburst on Sanchez and Lukaku? Both of whom have had some clangers recently.
Sanchez for instance has not reached anywhere near his best, ironically Martial was actually on a good run of form before we got Sanchez, after that barely got a game?

Shaw, again had a good run of form. Even Mourinho came out and said he was either the best LB in the league or one of the best in the world?
Gets dropped for Ashley Young in the next big game, then barely plays.

The only player that can hold his head up high, is De Gea. The entire team have not been good enough and all have played a part yesterday and in previous fixtures. Baring in mind Lukaku and Sanchez played vs West Brom at HOME and it was just as horrific as yesterday.

If it was 1 or 2 players acting up, sure. Most of the squad? It's not just the players.
Playing regressive negative football 90% of the fecking time probably doesn't help.

I'd bet on the result not changing if Lukaku/ Sanchez had played yesterday.

Those comments weren't even the worst, Sevilla was completely down to Mourinho and his tactics instead, he brags about beating Manchester Utd.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I'd hold my hands up and admit i've been shit. Then i'd make a darting run down the right hand side of the conference, couple of step overs, and flick a beautiful cross into the middle of the room awaiting my colleague to provide me with my assist.
:lol: My man!

Greck

When it's all said and done University courses will use Jose as a case study for leadership without diplomacy.

Some of his personality flaws are near pathological at this point. At what point does he stop exhibiting and learn to curb the attitude that keeps losing him dressing rooms and his jobs.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He’s gone too far with the interview but he’s not said anything that’s not been said on here and or what most fans are thinking.

Jose’s no saint and he shouldn’t have gone that far but the players were shambolic against Brighton and deserved to be called out and criticised.
It's one thing criticizing and another thing basically absolving himself of any responsibility for the loss. Saying shit like Now you see why these ones are always on the bench and Lukaku is always playing... a load of shit, considering we've had the same performance with or without these players and with our best 11 too. It's just Mourinho the one who avoids any blame for any defeat even though it's on him for failing to get them playing any sort of decent football.

Theonas

Scout
Mourinho was not like that. I remember on his first stint at Chelsea, he was fiercely protective of his players. He did instill a real siege mentality around the club. But since around his time at Real, he's become much more insecure. He really cannot hide how unfairly treated by the media and people in football he feels. This has especially coincided with the adulation and love people like Guardiola and recently Klopp have enjoyed. Since then, he just would go out of his way to defend himself and his record. Basically, it is the same siege mentality but now it is me vs the world instead of my club vs the world.

Turkleton

Even if he is right about the players, does anyone honestly think ths approach is likely to get them to improve their performances?

@Theonas I completely agree. He seems obsessed about what other people are saying. It's almost like how Trump has to respond to every criticism.

Dr. StrangeHate

Imagine the shitstorm if the players came out after last night and just said it wasnt their fault, the managers negative tactics were to blame, or he is too old and past it, or they have won stuff with other clubs so they are winners, etc, etc etc..
I would love to see this happen. Would be great to see the players stand up to him and not take his shit. On another note, even Real Madrid players didn't do that openly, they stabbed him in the back.

Last edited:

Spaniel

Not a fan of Jose at all. Never wanted him here and would love to see him go. The "football" he serves up is dire. Having said that he was right to criticise the players publicly. Rashford in particular just doesn't cut it. He has had ample time to improve. As far as I am concerned the lad is just ball greedy. Time after time he runs into trouble or loses the ball instead of passing. I don't buy that "he's only young, he'll improve" crap either. You don't have to have played the game a lifetime to know the correct time to release the ball. It's common sense. My hunch is he chooses not to pass and trys to grab the glory for himself. Not a good team player. Criticism of him is entirely justified.

Canagel

The manager has full control over the team, and if they fail to perform then he is certainly at fault.
Of course. There are a lot of average/mediocre players that's he's decided to keep and are not of the required standard to play for United. So he shouldn't feel let down when those players don't perform. These players must be discarded. Then he should be working hard with another group of players on getting the best out of them consistently instead of throwing them under the bus when things aren't coming off always. He has failed to do both these things so I can't feel too sorry for him.

automaticflare

Even if he is right about the players, does anyone honestly think ths approach is likely to get them to improve their performances?

@Theonas I completely agree. He seems obsessed about what other people are saying. It's almost like how Trump has to respond to every criticism.
Maybe not but it will force some
Of the spineless feckers out

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
I don't see any controversy. He told the media, "I played your darlings, and they were shite. Now you know why I play the other guys in important matches. Have yourself a nice cup of STFU." And it's nothing new. He's been saying in several previous interviews that United should easily have 10 more points if it wasn't for inconsistency and lack of professionalism in the games against teams that were promoted or in fight for survival. Those of you who think that United has good players, wait 'till you see how these magnificent talents are going to perform in the World Cup.

Rashford not passing it to Martial was absolutely pathetic, and that would've been a tap-in for a goal in a game that was lost 0-1. Either he didn't see him or he didn't want to pass it to him; don't know which is worse. Just one example from the game.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
More than his stupid comments I fear for our players not caring about the club that much anymore.

I remember other players (from another clubs) who fell out with their managers but still managed to put in good performances, showing their abilities especially against lesser clubs (in the terms of player's quality).

Mourinho needs to shut up and figure our better ways to motivate the players, the players also need to stop being babies. You don't need fecking motivation to play football if you're good at it and getting millions out of it. Fecking drama queens, both of them.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I remember Keane was kicked out for less than this. Surprised he gets away with it so easily.

Great manager but I don't agree with him here.
keane was a player, mou is the boss. Keane was one of the few shit players we had at the time (age caught up with him big time) , mou is one of the few true talent in our squad.

In my opinion his interview was spot on. The likes of rojo, blind and darmian shouldn't be anywhere near to manchester

Flytan

I don't want Mourinho as our manager either but you guys are such little whiny babies. The players were absolutely abysmal. Martial doesn't deserve to play again at this rate. Pogba trying to show off against lesser opponents instead of getting the job done. The players are an embarrassment, look at how they've performed all season against bottom teams. It has nothing to do with the manager, it has to do with the type of players.

Martial, Rashford, and Pogba are the greatest offenders. Maybe Darmian but since I don't rate him like I rate the others I can't really blame him for coming up short. The way Pogba can be brilliant against good teams then follow it up with an atrocity against a relegation fighting team is simply embarrassing. Rashford's decision making hasn't gotten any better the past three years either. Martial is a one trick pony.

And of course he's going to hit out at the players. The same players that have been leaking shit to the media all season about being unhappy about not getting chances to play. They get a chance and they come up short.

And again, this is someone who doesn't even want Mourinho here.