That RW position - Still up for grabs

stepic

it's Antony's position, at least for now. Bruno has been used out there when Antony was injured, but he's clearly better in the middle. Sancho can also do a job there too but he's better on the left. Elanga, Pellistri, etc are all squad players at the moment.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
it's Antony's position, at least for now. Bruno has been used out there when Antony was injured, but he's clearly better in the middle. Sancho can also do a job there too but he's better on the left. Elanga, Pellistri, etc are all squad players at the moment.
Still don’t understand why this is a thing. He just isn’t. Also Marcus has the left locked down in the managers head. Clear.

Dr Foo

If you look at left footed RW in the premier league in the so called top teams, Ziyech, Salah, Mahrez, Saka, Almiron, Kulusevski, where do you place our Antony amongst them? I am not getting on Antony's back but just wanted to know how you place him amongst others.
Good question. I would have Salah, Mahrez, Saka above him based on output and game changing ability (the past few seasons). Have not watched Almiron and Kulusevski enough, but you could probably make a case for them too. Antony does have time to show and develop more though, the fundamentals are there just lacking more directness

evil_geko

Antony does exactly what Ten Hag wants him to do, you can fantasize about some explosive tricky winger all you want on that right side, but Ten Hag wants balanced wings that do different things.

McTerminator

Antony will clearly play, he's young, he has 8 goals in his debut season and he shows up in the big games (Arsenal, Barca, City for example). He's also exactly what ETH wants form a winger, he works hard, tracks back, has a great mentality, and is press resistent. Just a week ago he was ripping Barca a new one, won us the game and had a cracking first half in the cup final at the weekend. Antony already appears a miles better buy than Sancho for example and his contribution to results like the Barca one go a big way to showing his worth.

People just need to chill the feck out, was the same with Ronaldo and Nani, people have zero time/patience with wingers coming into this club.
This.

stepic

Still don’t understand why this is a thing. He just isn’t. Also Marcus has the left locked down in the managers head. Clear.
even if you disagree, the fact Sancho can play on both sides means that he is going to get time on the left - whether that's when Rashford is being used up top or being rotated. and even if he did only play on the right, he's still not ahead of Antony right now. i mean, if Sancho was nailed on as RW we wouldn't have signed Antony in the first place.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
even if you disagree, the fact Sancho can play on both sides means that he is going to get time on the left - whether that's when Rashford is being used up top or being rotated. and even if he did only play on the right, he's still not ahead of Antony right now. i mean, if Sancho was nailed on as RW we wouldn't have signed Antony in the first place.
Of course, you are right. But between the two of them and Bruno as cover I think we are sorted for a good few years at RW now.

simplyared

None of our right wingers are currently good enough therefore we have a problem with that. Bruno is best for that role but he's needed as an AM and not stuck on the wing. Looking outside of the squad and onto the market there aren't many RW's out there that would be an upgrade on what we've got. Mahrez probably the best but he's wrong side of 30 and plays for city. Correa would be a gamble as he's been at Atletico so long and could find it hard to adapt to prem. Then again it worked for Casemiro so why not? Ziyech had a good World cup but is abysmal for Chelsea. Best and safest bet for me would be Kulusevski if we were to bring someone in.

Last edited:

stepic

Of course, you are right. But between the two of them and Bruno as cover I think we are sorted for a good few years at RW now.
yeah i think so. best case scenario is Sancho keeps improving and puts pressure on both Rashford and Antony. healthy competition. at the moment he's still too inconsistent.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Competition for spots is good. Right now, though, Antony is number 1 for RW and that's clearly what ETH believes.

b82REZ

The fact he's played almost every game he's fit, often starting, shows he has the faith of the manager. Ten Hag often speaks very highly of him and his potential.

He's doing a very specific role in the team. He keeps the width, tracks back and holds up possession excellently.

Unfortunately, the Caf loves a scapegoat and Antony has that honour currently despite the fact he and the team are on an excellent run of form.

He will be our RW for the foreseeable no matter how much people complain about his right foot or that ETH has subbed him off at times.

pogbasformerbarber

He does. Keeps it high up the pitch as well, he’s extremely press resistant in tight spaces.
There’s advantages and disadvantages of Antony continually coming infield on his left and one advantage is keeping the ball high around the opposition box.
he’s also really good at progressing the ball forward.
This is 100% correct. He instinctively keeps the ball high around the box which is exactly what ETH wants. He’s a lot like Wout in that his weakness (which are less…he is a much better all around player that’s Wout) don’t really matter because his strengths align perfectly with the type of style ETH wants.

If we got a better all around RW, I don’t actually think he would add much more than Antony given the way ETH wants us to play. Regardless I doubt we buy a RW for a very long time and I think ETH is perfectly happy with the position…

Matt851

Antony does exactly what Ten Hag wants him to do, you can fantasize about some explosive tricky winger all you want on that right side, but Ten Hag wants balanced wings that do different things.
This is 100% correct. He instinctively keeps the ball high around the box which is exactly what ETH wants. He’s a lot like Wout in that his weakness (which are less…he is a much better all around player that’s Wout) don’t really matter because his strengths align perfectly with the type of style ETH wants.

If we got a better all around RW, I don’t actually think he would add much more than Antony given the way ETH wants us to play. Regardless I doubt we buy a RW for a very long time and I think ETH is perfectly happy with the position…
ETH has stated he wants more from him. Also this idea Anthony is incredible at retaining possession doesn't fit with the eye test, he regularly gives the ball away with poorly hit shots or sloppy passes.

The team is still winning for now but I do fear what would happen if rashford drops off form or gets injured.

Abraxas

Aren't most of the positions up for grabs? That's the way ETH works. He's said it time and time again, and there's no reason to think he's not straight forward - it depends who trains and plays well.

Realistically there are probably only a few "untouchables." Rashford, Casemiro, Martinez, DeGea, Fernandes. And that's purely because they play and presumably train well. There's 20 odd blokes that aren't in that situation. It can also change. Imagine if Rashford went back to last season's form. ETH would only stick with him for so long. Not as long as someone like Ole who appeared to have favourites.

So yeah, there's nothing unusual about Antony's situation. He has competition, he's not the finished article like the aforementioned players. Some good and some bad so far. Not enough to become a relative untouchable and not bad so that he will be out in the cold.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think the position is fundamentally Antony's, but the bizarre one off fixture congestion this season alongside Sancho's extended absence is creating the need for more rotation. The likes of Amad and Pellistri will either be sold or loaned, and the player who has been suspended for the past 14 may not even return to United. That washes away much of the debate about RW, and I suspect Antony and Sancho will spend most of their time tag teaming at RW next year.

Last edited:

ZahaWilf

Sure is a lot of talk about crossing. You realize we aren't running 442 anymore right?
That is irrelevant (that we don't play 4-4-2 anymore) they are still classed as wide players and they should be mixing their game up more by getting to the byline and putting crosses in. Especially when we are playing with a 6 ft 6 striker in Weghorst. You can't expect an overlap from the fullback everytime. We are third bottom in terms of the amount crosses delivered with (338) with a 25% accuracy rate. Only Bournemouth and Leicester have managed less and we both know about their struggles this season and where they are in the table.

GMoore23

It's Anthony's position. He only turned 23 a couple of days ago. The transition can't be easy from the Dutch league to the PL and I think he's done very well in all for a 22yr old. Next season he will thrive.

davidmichael

It’s Antony’s first season in England and in his early 20’s so I’d wait til next season to pass judgement on him, if ‘number 11’ is back next season then I’d imagine they’d alternate with Sancho being used as a 10 or on the left if Rashford or Garnacho aren’t there.

Castia

We have 160m worth of talent, supposedly 2 of the best young wingers in Europe in that spot it's the least of our worries

Antony has done fine for a first season in England we miss him when he's not on that right side in my opinion I dont know what the fuss is about

Speedicut75

Does Antony have a right foot? He doesn't get behind defences with any regularity and spends an inordinate amount of time cutting back, inside, whilst ignoring the acres of space that have opened up in the opposition's LB position, because no full back who plays against him has to worry about him going down the touch line and putting a meaningful cross, or run, into area.

If this is all part of Ten Hag's mode of play then that's fine by me, because he's a great tactician; but I do struggle a bit watching Antony constantly halt the advance and switch the ball back inside over and over again.

UDontMessWith24

Antony just needs someone to rotate with more often as he adjusts to the league. It’s like nothing short of ETH walking into your living room and telling you Antony is his guy will convince you. Right or wrong, he’s not giving Antony the hook long term anytime soon.

BuzzKillington

If Ten Hag wasn't happy with what Antony is doing on the pitch, he wouldn't play him every time he is available. The ultimate "word of the actual manager" is the fact he's on the pitch every week.
He’s usually the first off the pitch too when we’re looking to change it up and improve. He’s been hooked in 2/3rds of the games he’s started. The manager spent €100m on him in the summer and he’s going to give him as much opportunity to show/rediscover his Ajax form as possible.

I still think the lads got it in him to improve, but let’s not pretend it’s a bed of roses.

Bondi77

Greenwood is the more naturally suited, I agree but just depends on what happens to him. I'm just thinking of the options we have available to us at the moment.
If he comes back then RW is sorted...no one else gets close.

JB7

He’s usually the first off the pitch too when we’re looking to change it up and improve. He’s been hooked in 2/3rds of the games he’s started. The manager spent €100m on him in the summer and he’s going to give him as much opportunity to show/rediscover his Ajax form as possible.

I still think the lads got it in him to improve, but let’s not pretend it’s a bed of roses.
Who’s pretending it’s a bed of roses? Him being a vital part of the team doesn’t mean there isn’t room for improvement. There clearly is and there will be improvement but he does do a job for us and we’re a better team with him in it.

In terms of being taken off when we’re looking to improve, that’a just not generally true, no more so than other players being taken off. He’s come off in games like Wednesday when we don’t need him to get us up the pitch because we’re going all out attack & he’s come off in games we’ve already won or are looking to see out.

Seveneric

When you overpay for a (so far) mediocre player, you best believe that position is his until it becomes glaringly obvious it just isn't working out.

Valencia Shin Crosses

That is irrelevant (that we don't play 4-4-2 anymore) they are still classed as wide players and they should be mixing their game up more by getting to the byline and putting crosses in. Especially when we are playing with a 6 ft 6 striker in Weghorst. You can't expect an overlap from the fullback everytime. We are third bottom in terms of the amount crosses delivered with (338) with a 25% accuracy rate. Only Bournemouth and Leicester have managed less and we both know about their struggles this season and where they are in the table.
It's actually very relevant as simply whipping in crosses from wide areas isn't really an effective tactic from modern wingers as teams aren't set up for it. And you mention Weghorst, but he's actually useless in the air despite his height so that's not a great argument either. Go look at the leaders in crosses. It's either fullbacks or creative midfielders like De Bruyne.

Demaw

If Greenwood isn't brought back, Amad might be best suited to push Antony next season as I see Pellistri as more of a back up for the #10 position longer term.
Did you mean Pellistri at 7 and Amad back up 10 as Amad is already playing inside more.

ZahaWilf

It's actually very relevant as *simply whipping in crosses from wide areas isn't really an effective tactic from modern wingers* as teams aren't set up for it. And you mention Weghorst, but he's actually useless in the air despite his height so that's not a great argument either. Go look at the leaders in crosses. It's either fullbacks or creative midfielders like De Bruyne.
It isn't as effective because it isn't done enough, simple. Weghorst has had 10 Aerial duals of which he has one 81 percent of them, 8 out of 10 (don't know how to insert an image otherwise I would show the proof). Don't say he isn't good in the air when firstly we haven't tested it enough, clear (as Ten Hag would say) and secondly he has won over three quarters of his aerial duals. The point I am trying to make is that, it shouldn't be down to the fullback or creative midfielders to provide crossing situations more often than a winger, really. *So you are saying that modern wingers can't be effective by crossing the ball? in your eyes crossing isn't an effective part of the game, baffling stuff!* Ask Mitrovic, Toney, Haaland, Nunez, even Kane to some extent...you are telling me they wouldn't thrive off a cross being whipped in.

Big Ray

We have 160m worth of talent, supposedly 2 of the best young wingers in Europe in that spot it's the least of our worries

Antony has done fine for a first season in England we miss him when he's not on that right side in my opinion I dont know what the fuss is about
Agreed. A lot of agenda driven spoilt posters acting like children. He’s been v good at times, not great but will definitely improve. If you can’t see it in him, you’re blind.

Oh_Dear

It seems to me ETH prefers (i) players who can play in multiple positions and (ii) using inverted forwards (which is why he bought Anthony). Bruno is being used in the 7 role this season as he's the best available alternative when Anthony's off-form or not available.

For next season, the best available squad options would be:

7: Anthony, Bruno
10: Bruno, Sancho, Eriksen, Amad
11: Rashford, Garnacho, Sancho, Amad, Elanga, Pellistri

In reality, I don't see Amad, Elanga or Pellistri finding a long term place in ETH's squad. Amad is super skilled and a wonderful ball carrier, but doesn't have the pace to play 11 and has yet to show he's ideal for the 10 role, while Elanga and Pellistri aren't going to push Rashford, Garnacho and Sancho out of the 11 role.

And assuming we bring in a CF, I'm concerned about where Sancho will play as Rashford and Garnacho look stunning at 11.

I'd also love to see us buy Kudus to give ETH the option of using him in the false 9/10 role that Weghorst has been playing (love Weghorst's pressing but he's not a long term solution).

And longer term we'll need to find an inverted forward as a backup to Anthony at 7. Can Amad, Elanga, Sancho and Pellistri fill that role in the interim? Yes, I just don't see them there long term.

Finally, on Greenwood I was willing to give him a second chance after he and Foden were sent home from the England squad, but based on what has been made public to date, recent events leave me wanting him out of the club.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: