That Sensible Football Forum

VP

Don't really see the need of an elitist forum. I think the forum is ok now, the new mods have done a decent job. Anyway, most of Davo's posts are 3 liners, one of which is invariably 18-5.

Suresh

Successfully neg-repped Bury Red and all I got was
I'd prefer it if we magically forked the Football Forum so that noone knew any different, but in fact there were now two different versions - one good one, featuring me, noodlehair, etc., and one shite one, featuring The Chief, Davo etc.

If anyone noticed posters being missing, we could say they were invited to the special forum where others were not.

Genius.

We could do the same with the General, and split it so that everyone posts in one forum, and Brad and laura in another.
:lol:

This is a good idea.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
There should obviously be a sensible (elitist) forum

It's of the nature of posting on a rival board that most regulars who support other teams will have a bit about them and know their stuff, simply because real cretins will quickly be barracked off the board. Witness the fate of Warrington - without exaggeration possibly the seventh or eighth biggest idiot to grace these boards. There are a couple of very bitter Scousers, namely Dumpstar and njred, but even they're not idiots, and in the main rival posters are among the best on here, by any measure. Gillespie is the exception that proves the rule.

Also, United fans on here fall into four groups: 1) Cretins who moan that we're shit if we're not winning the treble. 2) Cretins who regard any criticism of United as high treason, whether by fellow fans, rival fans, newspapers, or people who were actually referring to United Airlines. 3) Genuine spastics whose views aren't even really comprehensible. 4) Me.

The combination of these two factors means that even though most good football discussion involves rival fans, these same posters inevitably encourage a load of post count / "what are you even doing on this board anyway??!!?!!?! :mad: :rolleyes: :nono:" type shite, which derails promising threads. This would be avoided in an elitist forum.

As for wind-ups, I can't think of a single one of the better posters who has ever got wound up by one of these threads - either they can hold their own in the banter stakes, or they don't get involved. The exception is Van, who does tend to get all menstrual, but that's forgiveable, he's Van. The posters who get wound up are usually those who find themselves getting roundly trounced, both intellectually and in terms of football knowledge, by rival fans. I'm pretty sure the decent Scousers and gooners who'd make it into an elitist forum would resist posting flagrant piss-takes there, and save it for the main Football Forum, where such things can be fun, in a "calling people spastics" way.

I take it the matter is now resolved.

Salvation

Damnation

It's of the nature of posting on a rival board that most regulars who support other teams will have a bit about them and know their stuff, simply because real cretins will quickly be barracked off the board. Witness the fate of Warrington - without exaggeration possibly the seventh or eighth biggest idiot to grace these boards. There are a couple of very bitter Scousers, namely Dumpstar and njred, but even they're not idiots, and in the main rival posters are among the best on here, by any measure. Gillespie is the exception that proves the rule.

Also, United fans on here fall into four groups: 1) Cretins who moan that we're shit if we're not winning the treble. 2) Cretins who regard any criticism of United as high treason, whether by fellow fans, rival fans, newspapers, or people who were actually referring to United Airlines. 3) Genuine spastics whose views aren't even really comprehensible. 4) Me.

The combination of these two factors means that even though most good football discussion involves rival fans, these same posters inevitably encourage a load of post count / "what are you even doing on this board anyway??!!?!!?! :mad: :rolleyes: :nono: type shite, which derails promising threads. This would be avoided in an elitist forum.

As for wind-ups, I can't think of a single one of the better posters who has ever got wound up by one of these threads - either they can hold their own in the banter stakes, or they don't get involved. The exception is Van, who does tend to get all menstrual, but that's forgiveable, he's Van. The posters who get wound up are usually those who find themselves getting roundly trounced, both intellectually and in terms of football knowledge, by rival fans. I'm pretty sure the decent Scousers and gooners who'd make it into a rival forum would resist posting flagrant piss-takes there, and save it for the main Football Forum, where such things can be fun, in a "calling people spastics" way.

I thought I rejected this spastic idea, so why is it being put up for discussion again?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Hate for you to find out this way Plech, but we opened the elitist forum last week

Davo

The combination of these two factors means that even though most good football discussion involves rival fans, these same posters inevitably encourage a load of post count / "what are you even doing on this board anyway??!!?!!?! :mad: :rolleyes: :nono:" type shite, which derails promising threads. This would be avoided in an elitist forum.

As for wind-ups, I can't think of a single one of the better posters who has ever got wound up by one of these threads - either they can hold their own in the banter stakes, or they don't get involved. The exception is Van, who does tend to get all menstrual, but that's forgiveable, he's Van. The posters who get wound up are usually those who find themselves getting roundly trounced, both intellectually and in terms of football knowledge, by rival fans. I'm pretty sure the decent Scousers and gooners who'd make it into an elitist forum would resist posting flagrant piss-takes there, and save it for the main Football Forum, where such things can be fun, in a "calling people spastics" way.

Spot on, I'm struggling to see the opposition to this? There's literally no long lasting decent football threads that don't get ambushed by these cretins - I got an infraction point (whatever the feck that is) the other day for calling some idiot a "fecking spastic" the other day, after he got it into his head that I was calling Anderson crap....despite pointing out his error several time he continued to go postal. The mod in question, who I don't actually blame considering they're now apparantly, pointlessly, trying to clean up the football forum explained that "whilst I'm usually/always right re football matters the way I speak to people is sometimes nasty". Since when has that been an issue?

The fact that such a forum would be invite only seems to be an issue...not sure why? What's wrong with being elitist? I am elitist, I don't suffer spastics in real life, yet on here it's ok for gimps to ask why opposition fans are on here/follow you around like gay stalkers spoiling decent threads.

The opposition to this idea comes from the posters who wouldn't be involved anyway...who cares what they think?

Get it done before we start a breakaway forum.....

Spoony

The People's President
I hate CM formation bastards.

feck off. If it weren't for that game, they wouldn't even be discussing formations.

AD-DM-DD-VS = 4-4-4-4-1-1-1-AIDS

Yes, ok, now feck off.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I agree with Plech yet again.

Despite this I fear the fallout from creating an "elite" forum.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I agree with Plech yet again.

Despite this I fear the fallout from creating an "elite" forum.
You could just purge the boards? Go for a 'mass cull' of idiots, so to speak. Lock any pointless threads, or re-write the posting regulations, so as to make it clear to everyone that the current situation is crap and should be changed.

With an elite forum, I fear you will only delay the problem. Eventually, as more and more people join the 'elite' group, you will have the same concerns as you currently do with the football forums.

Simple really - tell people to shape up or get out.

Spoony

The People's President
I keep away from any thread with formation in the title.
I agree. Again, it's to do with the average age of the posters. Was different a few years ago. Thesedays, everyone thinks they'd be a brilliant manager. I suspect there's more in it than banding about names of players they'd love for us to buy and discussing the 4-3-3 formation.

Raconteur

You could just purge the boards? Go for a 'mass cull' of idiots, so to speak. Lock any pointless threads, or re-write the posting regulations, so as to make it clear to everyone that the current situation is crap and should be changed.

With an elite forum, I fear you will only delay the problem. Eventually, as more and more people join the 'elite' group, you will have the same concerns as you currently do with the football forums.

Simple really - tell people to shape up or get out.
Wasn't that what the main forum was supposed to be in the first place? People who proved not to be complete spastics or idiots or muppets or cnuts or whatever you want to call them in the Newbie Forum were moved to the Main Forum for sensible conversation and debate. I could be wrong though.

Creating another level for posters to aspire to would only work if there were stricter regulations on who got in. Obviously it didn't work too well the first time. I, however, think it'd be interesting to have three tiers on the caf. Imagine:

Bottom Feeders (Relegation Zone): basically the Newbie Forum, where you let all newcomers start...those who can cut it move up

Mid-Table
: The equivalent of the Main Forum now, with genuine posters mixed in with quality newcomers and some spastics that somehow got promoted....those who shine here move up

Top Flight: The best of the best, those who never get suckered into pointless debates or arguments, always offer thoughtful response and quality insight

Every poster can be promoted/demoted when necessary. It doesn't have to be on a point system because that would probably be a pain in the arse for the mods/admins, but some system could be devised I'm sure.

One thing I'd like to see is that once you've been promoted you can still post in the lower tiers. This would allow for debates with opposing supporters when they get on before big matches (like last season when we had those Roma supporters).

Well, that's my two-cents...off to lunch

VP

Football's a pretty simple game, so there really isn't that much to discuss. How much can you really say about Torres' start? One problem of an elitist forum would be that I doubt there would be much actual discussion. There wouldn't be any spastics to disagree with.

Saying that, I wouldn't mind an elitist forum as along as I'm in it.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I think the first order of business in the new forum would be to ban Van.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think the first order of business in the new forum would be to ban Van.

I wouldnt have thought anything you, or the rest of the Scousers on the forum said, would have any bearing on what would or wouldnt happen on this forum.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Why not just make the forum already, who really gives a shit? your either in it or not.

If your in it then you get to gloat and carry on posting in this supposed 'wonderland'.

If not then maybe you get bored of the caf and actually go outdoors, see people and get your life back.

Win win...

Davo

Come on then Mods, get it sorted

I'm happy to provide a list of posters who should be in it from the off...

Spammy

Being watched; will learn to post in the correct f
Gloves are worn for traction primarily. Someone li
Spot on, I'm struggling to see the opposition to this? There's literally no long lasting decent football threads that don't get ambushed by these cretins - I got an infraction point (whatever the feck that is) the other day for calling some idiot a "fecking spastic" the other day, after he got it into his head that I was calling Anderson crap....despite pointing out his error several time he continued to go postal. The mod in question, who I don't actually blame considering they're now apparantly, pointlessly, trying to clean up the football forum explained that "whilst I'm usually/always right re football matters the way I speak to people is sometimes nasty". Since when has that been an issue?

The fact that such a forum would be invite only seems to be an issue...not sure why? What's wrong with being elitist? I am elitist, I don't suffer spastics in real life, yet on here it's ok for gimps to ask why opposition fans are on here/follow you around like gay stalkers spoiling decent threads.

The opposition to this idea comes from the posters who wouldn't be involved anyway...who cares what they think?

Get it done before we start a breakaway forum.....

That's my personal favourite. You've shown one person up to be talking bollocks, so they follow you from thread to thread to continue talking bollocks, specifically at you, so you can then give them the life enhancing response they crave. It's wonderful, and really creates a desirable atmosphere, it doesn't even make me want to kill myself.

Davo

That's my personal favourite. You've shown one person up to be talking bollocks, so they follow you from thread to thread to continue talking bollocks, specifically at you, so you can then give them the life enhancing response they crave. It's wonderful, and really creates a desirable atmosphere, it doesn't even make me want to kill myself.
I had a posse of "admirers" the other day, following me around and trying to defend the daft cnut who had gone mental for no reason. It had been a pretty decent thread up till then an all....

Absolute gimps

Feedingseagulls

I had a posse of "admirers" the other day, following me around and trying to defend the daft cnut who had gone mental for no reason. It had been a pretty decent thread up till then an all....

Absolute gimps
Presumably that would be 'decent' according to your own system - ignoring all evidence and spreading various forms of insult around, whilst trying to distract people, and maintaining the 'official Davo line'.

You seem to be under some delusion that 'shit' posted by others isn't worthwhile whilst we should all admire the 'shit' you post yourself.

Davo

Presumably that would be 'decent' according to your own system - ignoring all evidence and spreading various forms of insult around, whilst trying to distract people, and maintaining the 'official Davo line'.

You seem to be under some delusion that 'shit' posted by others isn't worthwhile whilst we should all admire the 'shit' you post yourself.
Here's one of them now...

Feedingseagulls

:lol:

To be fair FS, you are a bit of a woman. Plus, there are lots of people who defy belief with their fatuousness.
Which 'bit'? - you've got me curious now to see if you come up with a non-obvious answer.

Lots of people's posts are crap I'd agree - but the complaints you see from 'established posters' about wind-ups, pursuit with insults, not debating properly etc. are all things they do themselves - they just think they are allowed to do it and it's amusing when they do it but not when done by others. Generally they are perpetuating arrogant double-standards rather than actually exerting quality control - otherwise they'd address their own posts as well. By all means improve the quality of posts - but that should apply to everyone.

I've no doubt Davo would like to be in a forum where I don't point out his many errors and his inability to actually debate as opposed to e-argue.