That treble season...

mu4c_20le

Theyre too boring to be great. Even their CL runs are reliant on Anfield nights rather than the 99 side who played world class sides off the pitch at their own ground.
Yep, going unbeaten would've been their biggest ticket to fame, since they have more wins than the Arsenal side. It would've papered over the cracks and stopped people from questioning them.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Keane was right all along. None of these cnuts would make the United 99 team :lol:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
:lol: I do hope Dumbstar never changes. He'll still be here talking the same abominable shite in 20 years' time!
I thought Watford was going to do it, but it took tonight's defeat to get all youse to unblock me. Just want to wish you all a very belated happy new year. :p

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Seasons are made on how you finish them. You obviously need to be there or there abouts in the league and through to the knockouts in the CL at Christmas but that’s it. It’s your form when the trophy’s are up for grabs that counts. Liverpool’s obsession with winning every single league game whilst playing kids in the cups is very bizarre but I suppose when you’re a club who hasn’t won the league for 30 years you want to make sure you don’t bottle it again.

They aren’t a patch on the United 99 team. I think van Dijk would get in that’s it.

I don’t even know why this is a debate. That was a team what won the 3 most major trophies in a single season and then won the league 3 years on the spin, neither which have been bettered on their own.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I was just thinking of the Giggs goal that wasn't in OT of the 2008 FA Cup, how the club was an inch away from a treble. I wonder if VAR could be applied to the old footage to see if it was over or not.

Irwin99

Really is incredible when you think about it. We beat and/or went undefeated to Juve, Bayern, Inter, Barca and beat Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal in the FA cup. You couldn't hand that team a tougher set of fixtures.

It also took Stam a month or two to get used to the league before he became an absolute monster of a defender and we dropped a fair few points early on with draws. The points tally in 99/00 speaks for itself and the following year in 00/01 I think we lost/drew our last five league games because the league had been won so early. It was truly a great side. Just a shame it didn't conquer Europe again (under-investment in certain areas is probably the reason IMO)

La Vecchia Signora

Supports
Juventus
Just to clarify for @Dumbstar ..

United faced the following to win the CL 99.

Barca
Pep
Figo
Kluivert
Rivaldo
F de Boer
R de Boer
Enrique
Nadal

Bayern
Kahn
Matthaus
Lizarazu
Effenberg
Scholl
Helmer
Elber

Juve
Peruzzi
Di Livio
Conte
Inzaghi
Del Piero
Deschamps
Zidane
Davids

Inter
Pagliuca
Zanetti
Djorkaeff
Ronaldo
Baggio
Simeone
Zamarano

Might be a few other top players I missed out too. Not only that we had Barca and Bayern in our group.

@Niall
Del Piero didn’t play that Semi Final, he was injured but that team was what made Man United the most supported team in the world. You gained a lot of fans.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Keane was right all along. None of these cnuts would make the United 99 team :lol:
I think he admitted or mentioned without hesitation that only Van Dijk will make it to United 99 team. Carragher & the other Liverpool fans are joke, season isn’t over, and they already thought some of the Liverpool current players can make it to 99 team :lol:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This is such a weird thing but its true. Anyone who has watched Liverpool this season knows they've not exactly been easy on the eye, grinding out wins, somehow finding a way, it looks impressive on paper, but its been a really tumescent style, and nothing like the football they played in the past which (and I hate saying it) rightfully was good to watch and something to feel envious about.
Yeah they played some seriously scary football a good while back, and only didn't make the most of it because Klopp and the team failed to adapt during games.

As for people not actually watching what's going on, well it's the same as all those pointing to Lukaku's goalscoring and not how he plays the rest of the time and how he affected our general play, same as those that point to LVG's defensive record and say our defence was good, the same as those saying Alisson is the best keeper in the world because of the clean sheets, same as (I suspect) all those wanting Henderson in over DDG because of Sheff Utd keeping clean sheets etc etc. It's really frustrating.

Steerpike

It was a piss weak league and cup teams back then. Europe was really shit, Barca, Milan, Madrid all shit. No Ronaldo or Messi around.
It was extremely competitive, and not remotely weak. In domestic competions, Arsenal pushed United all the way, and it's not so far-fetched to suggest that, had Arsenal won the FA Cup semi-final, they would have had the momentum to win the league as well (so, just how important was that Schmeichel penalty save?).

Juventus were a great side and very highly regarded, and United produced a stunning comeback against them to even reach the Champions League final. Bayern were strong too, and they had the benefit of playing in the final against a United side seriously weakened by suspensions (under current rules, both Keane and Scholes would have been available for the final).

Looking back on that year there were so many incredible games that went United's way, but could easily have ended differently. United didn't stroll to the treble because they were obviously the best team, they fought and scrapped their way to it because they were a great team (or should that be TEAM). There is much to admire, though I'm loathe to admit it, about the current Liverpool side. They also appear to be a great TEAM.

Motorman

This Liverpool team is no where near as good.

The closest anyone has come over recent years is City of 2 years or so ago. Who were much better than this Liverpool side.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think people sometimes overlook just how hard it is to win multiple trophies in a season. It takes a lot both physically and mentally and deserves admiration. Only the best sides manage it.

The Irish Connection

This is such a weird thing but its true. Anyone who has watched Liverpool this season knows they've not exactly been easy on the eye, grinding out wins, somehow finding a way, it looks impressive on paper, but its been a really tumescent style, and nothing like the football they played in the past which (and I hate saying it) rightfully was good to watch and something to feel envious about.
They’ve been like that for two seasons now. Play well for 10 minutes and the rest is a grind. Hopefully Klopp starts stuttering more next season. Watford showed if you put good balls over the top and get them turned they’re vulnerable.

The Irish Connection

This is the most impressive thing.

A Champions League group containing Manchester United, Barcelona and Bayern Munich. That's crazy.

Compare it to today with almost every group containing two punching bags for the big boys to beat up.
Yeah, that’s one of the reasons I get goosebumps watching the treble season back. The group of death. Me and my friend used to go to each other’s house every second champions league game to watch. It was incredible. And the last 3 minutes made the final one of the best days of my life.

Pughnichi

There was a Ronaldo around though
He’s also forgetting Zamorano and Baggio at Inter alongside Zanetti and Djorkaef at the peak of how powers.

Juve with their notorious mean defence + Zizou, Davids, Deschamps and Inzaghi

Ahhh. The late 90s had some special teams

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It was the greatest season and the team was incredible. That joint team thing on Sky was a joke and I was with Roy all the way, Van Dijk would get in the side but I wouldn't have any other Liverpool player over any of ours.

While discussing that season, I developed serious admiration for Zanetti of the back of our games against Inter :drool: what a fecking player. I still have the DVD of the Treble season and in the second leg v Inter, he cracked an absolutely unreal shot against the post from about 25 yards. The Champions League that year plus our own brilliance was what really made me fall in love with football.

Thisistheone

Got to admire Liverpool, even when they finally win their first league in 30 years, they still find a way of messing it up.

From Treble winners, Invincibles and one of the greatest sides ever to just another champion in a very average PL season remembered more for VAR controversy and a Virus.

crossy1686

career ending
And perhaps some fans will stop saying Keane was a biased nob for choosing so many United players. The reason was he knows that when push came to shove, THAT team kept winning... against the best England and Europe had to throw at them.

Keane's a biased nob but Carragher isn't? I have no idea why so many United fans turn on their own to be honest. If they say something against the club then they hate us and they're bitter, if they say something for the club then they're biased and Ole's mate. As soon as a Liverpool pundit says something it's an 'objective' fact...