That treble season...

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Nobody’s doing it again for some time.

Dec9003

It was a piss weak league and cup teams back then. Europe was really shit, Barca, Milan, Madrid all shit. No Ronaldo or Messi around.
Yet this seasons league is strong because Watford beat you. :lol:
I must admit I’m enjoying reading you sulk after your seasons gone from special to ordinary in a matter of days.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I guess all this bad luck lately means the upcoming ban is fugazy when we win the league?
More that your luck is finally running out. Depending on long balls and luck can only go for so long.

Judas

Open to offers
This was by far the best chance a team will get for a long time, with the amount of room Liverpool have at the top of the league they really should have done better, but they look pretty knackered and mentally burnt out already. It's only March 3rd.

DWelbz19

It was a piss weak league and cup teams back then. Europe was really shit, Barca, Milan, Madrid all shit. No Ronaldo or Messi around.
I'm assuming it's bait but even still, wipe away the dribble, mate.

We played Barcelona in the CL who had Figo and Rivaldo. Inter who had Ronaldo. Juventus with Zidane. Bayern Munich in the final.

Djemba-Djemba

I don't want to hear any more talk of this Liverpool side being the greatest ever English side.

They aren't, 1999 team stands alone at the top.

RedTiger

Half mast
This was by far the best chance a team will get for a long time, with the amount of room Liverpool have at the top of the league they really should have done better, but they look pretty knackered and mentally burnt out already. It's only March 3rd.
Because their manager decided to prioritise a league winning run (which won't get you a trophy) over trying to manage the squad to win everything.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Nah, that was when the tournament's format was at its peak, less teams and big games right from the beginning. Not the watered down shite it is now which doesn't get interesting until after Christmas. We had Barca and Bayern in our group from the get go! :drool:

We had to play Barca (twice), Bayern (3 times), Inter Milan (twice) and Juventus (twice) to win the Champions League back then. Unbeaten in all those games.

Our FA Cup run was bloody tough too - your lot, Chelsea (twice) and Arsenal (twice) en route to the final.

That season was an incredible achievement. Just saying :)

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Yeah, the likes of Zidane, Del Piero, Davids, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Shevchenko, Batistuta, Figo, Raul, Nedved were well shite.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I don't want to hear any more talk of this Liverpool side being the greatest ever English side.

They aren't, 1999 team stands alone at the top.
It’s been ridiculous frankly. People I know have been saying they’re on par with Pep’s Barca. It’s no wonder because seemingly no one actually watches football now and bases absolutely everything off wins and certain numbers and not their eyes and brain.

Josep Dowling

Embarrassing.

United faced Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Inter, Juventus and Bayern again in the final.

In the FA cup we played Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Newcastle.

United had the most difficult run of fixtures that season. Who exactly have Liverpool played in the cup competitions so far? Hardest game was Chelsea away. Even Napoli have been awful in Serie A.

Djemba-Djemba

It’s been ridiculous frankly. People I know have been saying they’re on par with Pep’s Barca. It’s no wonder because seemingly no one actually watches football now and bases absolutely everything off wins and certain numbers and not their eyes and brain.
Yeah.

They're clearly a brilliant side, they deserve to win the league and their points total at this stage is incredible.

But they aren't as good as the 1999 side, they're just not.

Dec9003

Yeah, the likes of Zidane, Del Piero, Davids, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Shevchenko, Batistuta, Figo, Raul, Nedved were well shite.
Let’s have it right, none of their sides would miss that lot like the greatest club side ever are missing Jordan Henderson.

Judas

Open to offers
This is such a weird thing but its true. Anyone who has watched Liverpool this season knows they've not exactly been easy on the eye, grinding out wins, somehow finding a way, it looks impressive on paper, but its been a really tumescent style, and nothing like the football they played in the past which (and I hate saying it) rightfully was good to watch and something to feel envious about.

hubbuh

As opposed to recent years, when you had the likes of the mighty Spurs and Ajax slugging it out in the latter stages of CL.

padr81

Supports
Man City
We've already overtaken the points total for the 99 team. In February. :cool:
Tell the truth you'd trade points record for another trophy... I know I'd have taken an 85 point season (and winning the league) in our 100 point season for a Champions League or even FA Cup. Records are nice, trophies are nicer.
That United season is still the best on record.

RedTiger

Half mast
Tell the truth you'd trade points record for another trophy... I know I'd have taken an 85 point season (and winning the league) in our 100 point season for a Champions League or even FA Cup. Records are nice, trophies are nicer.
That United season is still the best on record.
If they don't beat your 100 points record this season then I would consider that another major failure.

Eckers99

Let’s have it right, none of their sides would miss that lot like the greatest club side ever are missing Jordan Henderson.
That's true. Imagine this Liverpool side against that Juve team? Hendo and co bossing Zidane, Deschamps, Davids and Conte.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
That midfield 4 was ridiculous

I’ll go as far as to say it’s the best midfield in Club football ever. Keane, Scholes, Beckham & Giggs.

Anyone who thinks Gerrard or Lampard were better than Scholes immediately becomes someone whose football opinion means nothing to me.

That’s my contribution to this thread.
ok Law-Charlton-Best.

TheReligion

Abusive
Just to clarify for @Dumbstar ..

United faced the following to win the CL 99.

Barca
Pep
Figo
Kluivert
Rivaldo
F de Boer
R de Boer
Enrique
Nadal

Bayern
Kahn
Matthaus
Lizarazu
Effenberg
Scholl
Helmer
Elber

Juve
Peruzzi
Di Livio
Conte
Inzaghi
Del Piero
Deschamps
Zidane
Davids

Inter
Pagliuca
Zanetti
Djorkaeff
Ronaldo
Baggio
Simeone
Zamarano

Might be a few other top players I missed out too. Not only that we had Barca and Bayern in our group.

@Niall

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
1999/00 yeah. 2000/01 - not really. Bayern outplayed us home and away in the quarters, there was nothing unlucky about that. Twatting Arsenal 6-1 was nice, I'll give you that, but overall the 99/00 team was superior, played better football and was unlucky in the CL.
I'm mixing my years up. Thought Dortmund knocked us out in 00/01, turns out it was the following year.

Bayern were just eager to revenge 99, that's how I view that campaign

Gopher Brown

I genuinely think we wouldn't have won it if we hadn't been pushed right until the very last game of the season for the league. I think it helped maintain a really high standard of playing, and the way the manager and players coped with the pressure was incredible.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
The treble is still on; the WC challenge cup or whatever it's called, they won that. The community shield will be up in August, they'll be favourites for that, la.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
If only Nelson Vivas knew how to defend and Dennis could take penalties. :(

padr81

Supports
Man City
If they don't beat your 100 points record this season then I would consider that another major failure.
I wouldn't say major failure but it will put to bed the myth they are the best PL side of all time or even close. I'd still have them below any side that retained the title until they do the same. For now they are miles behind the United 3 in a row sides and even my own City team of the last 3 years (who despite not winning a CL has won 6 of the last 7 domestic trophies, 8 of the last 9 if we count the Charity Shield despite the apparent cheating.).

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I'm not sure if you're wumming.... you are yeah? Just because Barca hadn't hit their peak and Milan were past one of theirs, there were still loads of good teams.

Inter had Bergomi, Zanetti, Baggio, Ronaldo. Juve had Davids, ZZ, Inzaghi, etc. Bayern had Kahn, Matthaus, Effenberg, etc.

And the Arsenal team was excellent.

We beat them all.

Eckers99

Lazio weren't even in the Champions League in 99 but they had Nesta, Mihailovic, Stankovic, Nedved, Salas, Boksic and Vieiri. They would've fecking tonked this Liverpool team.

But yeah, European football had no depth in 99.

cyberman

Theyre too boring to be great. Even their CL runs are reliant on Anfield nights rather than the 99 side who played world class sides off the pitch at their own ground.

Siorac

I'm mixing my years up. Thought Dortmund knocked us out in 00/01, turns out it was the following year.

Bayern were just eager to revenge 99, that's how I view that campaign
No, that was Leverkusen :P

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

Barca
Pep
Figo
Kluivert
Rivaldo
F de Boer
R de Boer
Enrique
Nadal

Bayern
Kahn
Matthaus
Lizarazu
Effenberg
Scholl
Helmer
Elber

Juve
Peruzzi
Di Livio
Conte
Inzaghi
Del Piero
Deschamps
Zidane
Davids

Inter
Pagliuca
Zanetti
Djorkaeff
Ronaldo
Baggio
Simeone
Zamarano

Might be a few other top players I missed out too. Not only that we had Barca and Bayern in our group.

@Niall
This is the most impressive thing.

A Champions League group containing Manchester United, Barcelona and Bayern Munich. That's crazy.

Compare it to today with almost every group containing two punching bags for the big boys to beat up.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff

Barca
Pep
Figo
Kluivert
Rivaldo
F de Boer
R de Boer
Enrique
Nadal

Bayern
Kahn
Matthaus
Lizarazu
Effenberg
Scholl
Helmer
Elber

Juve
Peruzzi
Di Livio
Conte
Inzaghi
Del Piero
Deschamps
Zidane
Davids

Inter
Pagliuca
Zanetti
Djorkaeff
Ronaldo
Baggio
Simeone
Zamarano

@Niall
Good times, when men were men and all that :devil: