That was the best performance of the season so far

Alek M

Da manic one
We are always good IN Europe against teams that want to play football. In epl, teams defend well, don't get caught out of position and we have hard time scoring.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
First half against Everton was probably the best. We took on a good team who was in good form and completely dominated them, looking comfortable all over the field. Even in the second half we were good for most of it, we just had that period at the start of that half where we fell apart and sat back too much right at the end.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
And so we see the perks of having a solid complimentary CB to Maguire. Our attack is good enough as it is, will always get goals when we have Bruno Fernandes, but we are much much better with Bailiy fit on them rear occasions.

always_hoping

PSG away was the best, the scoreline didn't do justice to how good the performance on the night was.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
La Real were naive and left too much space in behind which we exploited really well.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I agree with this. We were completely dominant in that game and should have won comfortably. Biggest mess up of the season.

I would say the PSG win was probably better as well.
The common factor this season vs last is that we tend to dominate most of the games and lose points over costly personal mistakes, primarily in the back. The Everton game as was rightfully pointed out, especially the first half, was top shelf Manchester United football complete with a Cantona-esque goal from Bruno.

4-0 away to Real Sociedad is good. They've allowed 4 goals in the net twice in 4 years prior to this match. 10 shots on goal speak volumes about the chances created. This was a very flattering result for Sociedad.

Lentwood

I’m all for positivity I’ve championed the progress we are making under Ole for a long time.

However, I don’t think we should be getting carried away by that result/performance. I expect that kind of performance when teams open up and try to play football against us - 99% of the time with the speed and skills we have in the squad we’ll take apart teams who leave spaces for us to play in.

The games I’m still to be convinced about are when we face teams who put ten behind the ball. I’m also yet to be convinced we’ve fixed our issues at set-pieces, which is currently costing us 10+ PL goals a season.

I’ll start believing this team can win the league when we take 28 out of 30pts from whomever finishes in the bottom 5.

So far this season we have dropped 5pts already against the clubs in those positions. It’s not awful by any means but we need to make those victories routine, almost inevitable.

Lewnited

It was very good, but we'll decimate 95% of teams that leave that much space in behind for us to attack... I still maintain we're one of the best counter attacking teams in the world. What I'd love to see is us follow this up with another good performance against Newcastle on Sunday, who will keep it very tight and make it difficult for us to play.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
It was a very pleasing performance, especially from our forwards, but Sociedad played exactly like we like to. Sloppy in possession, high defensive line, big gaps in midfield, bad at playing offside trap, no aggression without the ball. It was a dream for our fast forwards to play against them.
I watched them a few times in La Liga they are not a bad team, but against us they looked like relegation candidates because of their style of play.
We are very good playing against naive teams.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Credit to our coaches who figured out their game plan and played James and Rashford who excelled with the space they were afforded. I thought their coach was naive playing right into United's biggest strength.

Lee565

I wouldn't say that was our best performance because sociedad made it all too easy with how the they played which played to our strengths with how we are set up under ole to play on the counter attack

Hughie77

Top 3, I'd say away to PSG, was one, as said on here Everton at home ok 3-3, RS last night was faultless after the first 2 mins, I think they thought they could out pass us like a top City side could, but there front men did nothing there set piece was poor and we were clinical all over the pitch. The PSG result against Barca, made my mind up we could do well against these, we need same Sunday.

City 0-2 United

RashyForPM

Bump. We had a new best performance of the season yesterday :drool:

Bruno and Keane used to the right word to describe it: perfection. High line, high press, counter attack, bravery, not a single passenger. Brilliantly done.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

Bruno and Keane used to the right word to describe it: perfection. High line, high press, counter attack, bravery, not a single passenger. Brilliantly done.
It was very encouraging to see us use that high line in periods of the game. I think the defence were superb yesterday - individually and as a unit, and tactically we got it right. Obviously we couldn't maintain that high line (nobody could) because City are excellent at breaking through lines, but I like that we tried to compress the space further up the pitch. Its further evidence for me of the progression of the team.

eire-red

Still think Everton at home was genuienly some of the best football we've played this season, which makes those 10 minutes of madness after HT even more infuriating.

tomaldinho1

Still think Everton at home was genuienly some of the best football we've played this season, which makes those 10 minutes of madness after HT even more infuriating.
Agreed. Not to take away from great wins like yesterday and PSG but I feel that kind of game we have had in the locker since last season. Possession heavy attacking teams are perfect for us.

Everton was great for me because it was a decent team who we completely dominated. That’s what I’m looking forward to seeing more of and WHUM is a great opportunity to do so.

Lemon Moon

Indeed we did, but how can that performance be preceded by the terrible effort at Palace last week?

There's no excuse, we know they can perform, they have shown us they can be perfect or near perfect at least.

Brilliant performance yesterday, but we need to find some consistency.
I think it's a mentality issue & one that can be addressed.

RashyForPM

Indeed we did, but how can that performance be preceded by the terrible effort at Palace last week?

There's no excuse, we know they can perform, they have shown us they can be perfect or near perfect at least.

Brilliant performance yesterday, but we need to find some consistency.
I think it's a mentality issue & one that can be addressed.
Daniel Taylor summed it up well: “United can beat anyone at their best, but lose to anyone their worst”. The displays at Selhurst Park and OT against Sheff Utd were examples of when we’re at our worst. You said it, and we all know that we definitely need more consistency, but what I feel we need most is a higher floor. What I mean by that is that when we’re having one of our off days where Marcus is running into a wall, Bruno is losing the ball more than he keeps it and AWB turns into an actual spider, we can still churn out wins.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Second half was up there for sure, but I actually think we were pretty poor for a good 30 minutes of the first half though.

Shark

@NotShark
Daniel Taylor summed it up well: “United can beat anyone at their best, but lose to anyone their worst”. The displays at Selhurst Park and OT against Sheff Utd were examples of when we’re at our worst. You said it, and we all know that we definitely need more consistency, but what I feel we need most is a higher floor. What I mean by that is that when we’re having one of our off days where Marcus is running into a wall, Bruno is losing the ball more than he keeps it and AWB turns into an actual spider, we can still churn out wins.
That's where a WC number 9 comes in. A player of RVP's caliber who can bang in two goals out of nothing. Unfortunately they're not too easy to obtain.

Last edited:

Eternitiy

Second half was up there for sure, but I actually think we were pretty poor for a good 30 minutes of the first half though.
I thought we defended very well and restricted them to shots from outside the area even during that period where they completely dominated play.

Nikelesh Reddy

And yes, I know we equalled an almost impossible record by winning 9-0 a few weeks ago. That was against a team ravaged by injuries playing most of the game with 10 men and a few minutes with 9, in which time we scored 3 goals.

This was genuinely perfect, aside from the first 2 minutes. Spotless at the back, solid in midfield, glorious in attack. You can’t ask for much more from a team, and this against a good side in a top league who’s heaviest defeat this season was a 0-2 loss to leaders Atletico.

Nothing but praise for the lads and coaching staff tonight.
Yeah it was a terrific performance.Now hopefully we can get some much needed momentum to finish off the season in style...

RashyForPM

That's where a WC number 9 comes in. A player of RVP's caliber who can bang in two goals out of nothing. Unfortunately they're not too easy to obtain.
I’m happy with the soundbites Ole is coming out with in regards to Haaland. We are genuinely desperate for someone like him, and I read in that Keane/Alfie Haaland article on the Athletic that that particular incident will have no bearing on Erling’s career choices. Good to hear.