The Active Shooter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Bill Hager (R-Boca Raton) wants Scott Israel removed from his sheriff position.

Bill hager holds a 93% rating by the NRA and recently voted against hearing a bill on assault rifle bans, even though he does state there should be a 30-day waiting period to purchase certain guns.

Nothing to see here folks.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Bill Hager (R-Boca Raton) wants Scott Israel removed from his sheriff position.

Bill hager holds a 93% rating by the NRA and recently voted against hearing a bill on assault rifle bans, even though he does state there should be a 30-day waiting period to purchase certain guns.

Nothing to see here folks.
The NRA are obviously still butthurt that Israel was dissing Dana Loesch's ideas at town hall the other night. They should probably refocus their efforts on not losing all their sponsors instead of going after the sheriff.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
So the kid had decorated his ammo magazines with swastikas. Can't help but feel that if he was a brown chap with "Allahu Akbar" carved into them, we'd have heard about it before now.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
So the kid had decorated his ammo magazines with swastikas. Can't help but feel that if he was a brown chap with "Allahu Akbar" carved into them, we'd have heard about it before now.
Normally I would agree with you as often reporting is slow around these types of incidents but on this occassion I think that's a bit unfair to be honest. There were conspiracy theories going round hours after the shooting with people saying he was a Democrat who was a member of Antifa and some saying he was a member of isis, but those rumours were jumped on and put to bed quickly.

It came out that Cruz was a white supremacist and Trump supporter who hated Muslims the same evening of the shooting. Pictures of him with his MAGA cap and details of him being trained by the NRA came about very quickly.

Obviously a few details were held back by the Police but in this instance I honestly think aside from Fox News and some fake news outlets on Twitter and FB that the press and genuine reporters got most of the details out in record time. Certainly far quicker than the info about the Vegas shooter that's for sure.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Normally I would agree with you as often reporting is slow around these types of incidents but on this occassion I think that's a bit unfair to be honest. There were conspiracy theories going round hours after the shooting with people saying he was a Democrat who was a member of Antifa and some saying he was a member of isis, but those rumours were jumped on and put to bed quickly.

It came out that Cruz was a white supremacist and Trump supporter who hated Muslims the same evening of the shooting. Pictures of him with his MAGA cap and details of him being trained by the NRA came about very quickly.

Obviously a few details were held back by the Police but in this instance I honestly think aside from Fox News and some fake news outlets on Twitter and FB that the press and genuine reporters got most of the details out in record time. Certainly far quicker than the info about the Vegas shooter that's for sure.
OK. Fair enough. I had seen the picture with the MAGA hat, but hadn't read any reports that he was a white supremacist, but if it was widely reported and I missed it, then fair enough.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
OK. Fair enough. I had seen the picture with the MAGA hat, but hadn't read any reports that he was a white supremacist, but if it was widely reported and I missed it, then fair enough.
No worries, it was really strange as everything surrounding this shooting feels the same, yet different if that makes sense?

The reporting quickly dismissed the conspiracy theories and Instantly zoned in on his white supremacist traits and his MAGA hat and the fact he was trained by the NRA. However, whereas if this had been a Muslim terrorist that would have been in the news 24/7 his political and racial perversions were not dwelled on for long at all. Instead all the news has rightfully been about the survivors and classmates saying enough is enough and literally taking over cable news and social media sites, especially Twitter in favour of serious gun control.

It really seems as if almost everyone except Trump and the small percentage of NRA members are all on the same page. Yes he was a Trump supporter and white supremacist but that's not important, getting guns off supermarket shelves is and that's the message that is out there right now. Normally it would be forgotten by now, but these kids and their actions and the press and many Democrats are all still banging the same drum and it does feel different this time. I just hope those kids didn't die in vain and their classmates can help get the changes so desperately needed to prevent any more of these horrific and needless attacks.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

It literally does, James.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

His background and apparent racist views and Trump support has made nowhere near the sensationalist news cycles it does when a Muslim/foreigner does something in the US/globally. I've heard very little of Cruz's personality and it's not really making the rounds on social media either, at least nowhere near the rate of the aforementioned Muslim/foreigner.

SteveJ

Scout
F*ck's sake...

Republican tells gun debate Holocaust happened because Jews weren't armed
Alaska Republican and most senior member of the House cites atrocity during public debate to argue in favour of arming teachers

Young wasn’t the first House Republican to face criticism for comments made after 17 students were killed at a high school in Parkland, Florida.

US Republican Claudia Tenney of New York said on a radio program last week that “many” people who commit mass murder turn out to be Democrats, without offering evidence.

Young’s comments emerged when Dimitri Shein, a Democrat, posted video of the lawmaker’s response to his question on YouTube.

Young intimated the violent nature of video games might play a role in gun violence. A former schoolteacher, he said children brought guns to schools 40 years ago “and they didn’t shoot anybody”.

“Something’s happened, it’s easy to blame an object,” Young said. “Why don’t we look at the mental concept and the family structure” as he noted that he supported arming teachers.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...un-control-holocaust-jews-not-armed-don-young

SteveJ

Scout
Obviously, he's an expert in victim-blaming:

His staff had to apologize in 2014 after he spoke at an Alaska high school a day after a student’s suicide. When asked what his office was doing to combat the state’s high suicide rate, he stunned the audience by saying suicide showed a lack of support from family and friends.

SteveJ

Scout
It's not just Trump who epitomises the 'there I said it' type of twat.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
There's posters like that on the Cafe, in this thread even.
Genuinely scary. I guess it allows people to have a sense of self importance that they simply wouldn't have otherwise.

Is her name Kristen, she's white/caucasian, and prior Air Force by chance? :)
Haha it isn't , she's a Dutch Caucasian who regularly goes to Syria and Russia to 'support the cause '.

SoCross

I'd at least ask for a payrise if being a (presumably) trained killer is being added to my list of responsibilities

Also it's America.. . How long before a teacher goes nuts and starts shooting up their class.. . Then what... arm all students?

Actually thinking it through the nra would probably think that's a good idea
Exactly. It will never end. As long as the demand for guns and ammunition doesn't go down eh...

I don't think there is a single poster on this forum that doesn't agree with every word you wrote. Unfortunately in the US we have the NRA and pretty every GOP politician disagreeing or at least putting their heads in the sand.
Trump's recent response was surprising so to say. Can an American explain to me the reasoning behind the second amendment? From what I gathered, its the right of an American to bear arms and protect themselves in case their own government becomes tyrannical and turns on them?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Trump's recent response was surprising so to say. Can an American explain to me the reasoning behind the second amendment? From what I gathered, its the right of an American to bear arms and protect themselves in case their own government becomes tyrannical and turns on them?
The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
I guess in most countries people would question if a well regulated militia is indeed necessary... but politically that does not seem to be a debate that happens?

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I guess in most countries people would question if a well regulated militia is indeed necessary... but politically that does not seem to be a debate that happens?
I just want to know how where is this well regulated militia? If a well regulated militia is part of the right to bear arms then why isn't that invoked?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I just want to know how where is this well regulated militia? If a well regulated militia is part of the right to bear arms then why isn't that invoked?
I think the argument is (from the NRA side) that people could form one should they need to protect the security of the state - but they would need guns - thats why the right of people to keep and bear arms shall not be infinged...

Personally Id say ok each state can have a reserve force - they can have regulated and ordanised training and they can keep the guns centrally under lock and key... perhaps even switch the army reserves to state protection militia... but yeah i just dont see that level of debate (from over the pond) - its more can we limit the size of magazines or make people wait an extra day or 2 to get a gun.... though I think in most countries there would actually be the debate about the need for said militia

I dont think John Major did much of note but passing the Firearms act after dunblane was something I think has probably saved a lot of lives and something he should be proud of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearms_(Amendment)_Act_1997

I also think the 2nd bill passed as one of the very early bits of blair legislation is also overlooked and has probably saved many lives
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearms_(Amendment)_(No._2)_Act_1997

SoCross

In essence, an armed militia is needed to make sure that the US will be a free state? The alternative to a free state is a dictatorship (?) so in other words, in order to make sure that this won't happen or in the event it does happen, the populace has the right to bear arms and defend themselves.

Seems a bit OTT. Indeed it is strange that there is no debate on the need for a militia. And like @Gambit says, where is this militia then? Maybe they can patrol the schools :rolleyes:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
In essence, an armed militia is needed to make sure that the US will be a free state? The alternative to a free state is a dictatorship (?) so in other words, in order to make sure that this won't happen or in the event it does happen, the populace has the right to bear arms and defend themselves.

Seems a bit OTT. Indeed it is strange that there is no debate on the need for a militia. And like @Gambit says, where is this militia then? Maybe they can patrol the schools :rolleyes:
To protect the freedom of the states from federal government over - reach I think - Would have been written in the aftermath of the civil war where armed people formed militias and had overthrown the government - so in context I imagine it was sensible

SoCross

To protect the freedom of the states from federal government over - reach I think - Would have been written in the aftermath of the civil war where armed people formed militias and had overthrown the government - so in context I imagine it was sensible
Hmm, yes, I can see that being sensible at the time. Point taken. In this day and age though...

Carolina Red

Staff
The Framers had a distrust of standing armies. They felt that the standing British Army enabled the King to rule in a tyrannical fashion and wanted to guard against that. Because of that train of thought, for a long period of American history, the US Army was a tiny force that was heavily outnumbered by state militia forces.
the aftermath of the civil war
Your point is correct, but it was after the American Revolution.

Infra-red

An AR-15 is pretty scary when it's being pointed at school children, but significantly less so when being used to face down an Apache Helicopter.

The militia argument hasn't made sense for decades.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
but it says right there in the second amendment, A well REGULATED militia. Where's the regulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.