g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Active Shooter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Sounds like the NRA is just a front for the safe industry.

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
Why do you need a handgun, shotguns and also rifles?
I am a member of a clay club so shotguns for that. I also go target shot rifles, generally long range. Handguns just because I can.

In all fairness most people that are shooting enthusiast have a lot of guns. I once had about 10 handguns because I wanted to shoot lots of different calibers. Now I just have two 9mm and one .22 for target shooting.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Handgun for family protection, rifles for hunting dangerous or delicious animals and shotguns for keeping the King of England out your face.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
I am a member of a clay club so shotguns for that. I also go target shot rifles, generally long range. Handguns just because I can.

In all fairness most people that are shooting enthusiast have a lot of guns. I once had about 10 handguns because I wanted to shoot lots of different calibers. Now I just have two 9mm and one .22 for target shooting.
Okay, I kind of get that. I went clay pigeon shooting last weekend for a friends birthday and it was very fun. Even considering to get a license to get my own shotgun for clays.

But that’s where it would stop, and I wouldn’t ever see it as a weapon. It would just be some sporting equipment. I certainly would’nt ever need multiple shotguns and other types of guns eg. Rifles

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
But that’s where it would stop, and I wouldn’t ever see it as a weapon. It would just be some sporting equipment. I certainly would’nt ever need multiple shotguns and other types of guns eg. Rifles
All my guns are for clays or paper targets. I don't see them as weapons or for protection. I have three shotguns for a couple of reasons. Firstly I fecked up when buying them. Started with a used one, then bought a nice Beretta semi-auto, then got an over under. Having a spare is also good when someone else wants to go and shoot with me.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
All my guns are for clays or paper targets. I don't see them as weapons or for protection. I have three shotguns for a couple of reasons. Firstly I fecked up when buying them. Started with a used one, then bought a nice Beretta semi-auto, then got an over under. Having a spare is also good when someone else wants to go and shoot with me.
Fair do’s. I can get on board with people having guns for sport. Having a spare shotgun for someone wanting to come shoot seems reasonable too.

Im not sure if you’re from the UK or the US, having guns for sport is perfectly reasonable in my eyes. But in the US it just seems like such a household item. I certainly don’t think anyone should ever leave the house with a gun unless for sporting reasons. It just seems crazy to me that someone in public could have a gun on them.

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
Fair do’s. I can get on board with people having guns for sport. Having a spare shotgun for someone wanting to come shoot seems reasonable too.

Im not sure if you’re from the UK or the US, having guns for sport is perfectly reasonable in my eyes. But in the US it just seems like such a household item. I certainly don’t think anyone should ever leave the house with a gun unless for sporting reasons. It just seems crazy to me that someone in public could have a gun on them.

I am form Manchester but now live in Florida. I would happily leave my gun in a safe at a gun club. They only go out of the house when I go to a range or club anyway.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
"If we weren't meant to own assault rifles then why did Jesus create them?"

Michele Bachmann on Fox & Friends, 3/2/18

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Does the size of the US have something to do with the apparent lack of things being done to stop this? Won't begin to claim I'm an expert on US gun control laws and what's being done to prevent these attacks happening. But I'm thinking to myself, if something like this happened at the other side of Europe, I'd care but then get on with my day to day life if I'm honest. America's that big, do people have a similar mind set perhaps? Genuine question.

Carolina Red

Staff
Does the size of the US have something to do with the apparent lack of things being done to stop this? Won't begin to claim I'm an expert on US gun control laws and what's being done to prevent these attacks happening. But I'm thinking to myself, if something like this happened at the other side of Europe, I'd care but then get on with my day to day life if I'm honest. America's that big, do people have a similar mind set perhaps? Genuine question.
Could have something to do with it. Each state is like its own little country in some aspects.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I believe it has a huge role in why they love guns and self-defence so much.

When America was founded there was no organised police force in a township let alone a city, state or the countrywide. You maybe had a sheriff but aside from that it was literally on the men of the house to arm themselves and protect their land from raiders, gangs, etc.

The constitution and the bill of rights with the 2nd amendment in it reflects those times instead of now.

I just don't think they ever grew out of that mindset, even though communication became more mainstream and available and proper police forces were widespread and they stuck to the 2nd amendment and probably saw in individual pockets how effective it was and the heroism aspect probably deified those who had used a weapon in self defence to the point that the entire country learnt about the 'need' for a weapon.

Basically they're stuck in 1791 with 2018 weapons and 2018 media and they can't budge one way or another because of the seriously, shockingly huge divides on every issue between the huge melting pot of cultures and experiences in the country.

Add in the huge militarisation of everything they do and are. The extreme patriotism and arrogance that they're the best country in the world and the fact that they hold up soldiers as saints when the reality is most of them are disaffected youth with nowhere to turn in life and there's a ton of misguided loyalty, love and judgement.

We've said before that basically the US has ALWAYS been at war with someone but aside from the civil war which is practically ancient history they've never dealt with it on their doorstep like we've done in Europe. Thousands of deaths are a terrible thing for sure but they're still quite a rarity compared to the toll of death in Europe from a World War. It's the citizens that would need to see the sheer scale of the damage to human and societal life. The soldiers do but even with the US's obscenely overpowered military they're still a tiny fraction of the population at large.

They're not so far removed from us (Brits especially given they're basically our Israel) but they're still basically a pre-pubescent teenager with a god complex that hasn't been beaten up to knock it down a peg.

I dread to think how knocking them down a peg might actually look like though.

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
Florida lawmakers pass bill allowing armed teachers in classrooms:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ting-students-marjory-stoneman-douglas-school
Local news in Florida is reporting it slightly differently. I think they removed arming teachers yesterday to get it through the Senate.:

The state Senate on Monday amended the most contentious provision in the bill, which would establish a voluntary program that allowing school personnel to be armed‎ if they undergo 144 hours of training.

Under the change, those who "exclusively perform classroom duties as classroom teachers" wouldn't be allowed to participate in the program. Teachers who perform additional duties, like coaching football or heading the drama club, would be allowed to participate, as would other school staff like administrators and cafeteria workers.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/07/politics/florida-rick-scott-gun-bill/index.html

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
AMEN

I have a gun safe that all my guns are in, a ammo lock box, and then a safe in my wife's wardrobe where I keep the magazines.
This makes me think of a fun Jim Jefferies bit, where he explains keeping your gun in a safe kind of defeats the argument of having it for protection.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
A school attack in Netherlands:

These guys look heroic, but apparently the kids are a big problem in the neighbourhood and they bullied this man to the brink of insanity.

A local woman testified to being constantly harassed and intimidated by the same group of kids. Ofcourse walking onto the yard brandishing two knives is inexcusable, but these kids are no heroes either.

If anything this video shows that taking guns out of the equation helps immensely. Throwing a backpack at someone with a machine gun would've been much less effective.

matherto

And as your kid I probably would exactly know how to get to it when I really would want to. There is no safe space in the house from kids - parents have tried to hide their secrets from them since ages.

The stepcousin of my son's father shot his blind wife as he was drawing his gun on his father in law when they had a dispute about 30 years ago. It was an accident as she was running into the scene. In a no-gun-environment they would have shouted at each other - probably would have wished each other the worst and probably told that they would beat the other up - but nothing would have happened.

A lot of that gun suicides would not happen, too. Some probably are done in bad moments that would have gone by the time you would have found a way to do it with other means...
This is a poignant reminder of just how convenient and quick guns are and the people arguing for them and saying how responsible and safe they are with them always forget.

America has so many guns lying around that it's just not hard at all to get one, even if properly stored. Someone will know where one is and will access it before any sense of rational thought comes into their mind about whatever they might be doing and stop it if they had to use other means to harm themselves or others.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
That means, he is inadequately armed and trained to do the job? Why does he only given a handgun when most mass shooters come with assault rifles and bombs? Is he provided with bullet proof vest as well? I question the system that send people to their death.

I thought we have learnt lessons from the Somme battles and Gallipoli.
Leap much?!?

matherto

Would it be acceptable for the guns to be stored securely at a place specifically for clay shooting/paper target shooting?

Never got why people couldn't just go to a range for these things and use the guns cause they liked to shoot them instead of keeping them at home.

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
This makes me think of a fun Jim Jefferies bit, where he explains keeping your gun in a safe kind of defeats the argument of having it for protection.
I don't own guns for protection, just sports shooting.

Would it be acceptable for the guns to be stored securely at a place specifically for clay shooting/paper target shooting?

Never got why people couldn't just go to a range for these things and use the guns cause they liked to shoot them instead of keeping them at home.
Personally i would love to leave all my gun at a gun club if they rented safes. It might get a little complicated if you are a member of a clay and Pistol/Rifle range though. My local clay club also has a pistol range and they are adding a 100m rifle range. So pistols and rifles would could be used at either club

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I don't own guns for protection, just sports shooting.

Personally i would love to leave all my gun at a gun club if they rented safes. It might get a little complicated if you are a member of a clay and Pistol/Rifle range though. My local clay club also has a pistol range and they are adding a 100m rifle range. So pistols and rifles would could be used at either club
Yea, it wasn't focused at you so much as your post just made me think of it.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
These guys look heroic, but apparently the kids are a big problem in the neighbourhood and they bullied this man to the brink of insanity.

A local woman testified to being constantly harassed and intimidated by the same group of kids. Ofcourse walking onto the yard brandishing two knives is inexcusable, but these kids are no heroes either.

If anything this video shows that taking guns out of the equation helps immensely. Throwing a backpack at someone with a machine gun would've been much less effective.
I don't know the story and it was irrelevant to my point which is the bold part I have highlighted from your post. If this man had access to guns several of those kids would have been dead. Because he did not they were able to fight him off.

This is what goes over the head of the gun lobby time and time again, they don't see the weapon as the problem, they see the person holding it as such and try to fix the wrong part of the equation.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
Nah they're not that stupid. They just value their money above people's lives.
The gun lobby is not just the people making money, the NRA gets millions in donation from your average Joe, the latter have the bigger power and they have fully embraced that the problem does not lie with their weapons because they have safely possessed them for years (until something happens that makes them unsafe), it is with people's mental health.

Status
Not open for further replies.