The Active Shooter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackofalltrades

It's been pointed out various times that armed civilians, even if they were formed into a militia, would in no way be able to challenge, let alone defeat the US military in defence of their nation. But maybe that's the wrong scenario - wouldn't their role be to support the military if there was ever some kind of "civilian coup" ?

Last edited:

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
GOP COngressman Brain mast is going out on a limb regarding gun control. The guy is talking some sense on CNN. Cuomo just made a good point regarding the NRA/GOP school safety narrative. The last four deadly mass shootings were at a nightclub, concert, church, and school. Any security for schools is not going to stop mass shootings.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The Framers had a distrust of standing armies. They felt that the standing British Army enabled the King to rule in a tyrannical fashion and wanted to guard against that. Because of that train of thought, for a long period of American history, the US Army was a tiny force that was heavily outnumbered by state militia forces.

Your point is correct, but it was after the American Revolution.
valid correction - thanks

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Also keep in mind that the Second Amendment was ratified just a few years after the Revolutionary War, and Great Britain still had beef with us and therefore was a major threat. Regions like the Midwest were in war, British forts and bases still existed, Native American tribes were still a force, and French and Spanish colonies were right on the doorstep of the US as it was at the time. Times were very conflicted, and citizens keeping arms — the musket kind — was necessary in that context.

MTF

Also keep in mind that the Second Amendment was ratified just a few years after the Revolutionary War, and Great Britain still had beef with us and therefore was a major threat. Regions like the Midwest were in war, British forts and bases still existed, Native American tribes were still a force, and French and Spanish colonies were right on the doorstep of the US as it was at the time. Times were very conflicted, and citizens keeping arms — the musket kind — was necessary in that context.
Its about as a reflection of the times as the Third Amendment:

"No soldier shall, in time of peace, be quartered in any house without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war but in a manner to be prescribed by law."

Super relevant in 2018 :rolleyes:

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
The Framers had a distrust of standing armies. They felt that the standing British Army enabled the King to rule in a tyrannical fashion and wanted to guard against that. Because of that train of thought, for a long period of American history, the US Army was a tiny force that was heavily outnumbered by state militia forces.

Your point is correct, but it was after the American Revolution.

Do you know anything about that argument the NRA put forward that there was a Federalist where it was stated that every single person is the militia, hence the right for all to own a gun?

Carolina Red

Staff
Its about as a reflection of the times as the Third Amendment:

"No soldier shall, in time of peace, be quartered in any house without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war but in a manner to be prescribed by law."

Super relevant in 2018 :rolleyes:
To be fair, I enjoy not having to house random soldiers.

RedDevil@84

It is time to target US families/friends from having domestic disputes.
NRA should get into a meeting with POTUS to discuss ways to stop domestic disputes.

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
Taking being an ungrateful little shit to a whole new level. This is what gets ignored in the gun debate. Media goes nuts on a few people killed in one or two mass shootings a year meanwhile literally thousands are dying in disputes, accidents and suicides.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
See now if his parents had a gun.......wait a minute his dad was a cop so he probably was armed.
Will be interesting to know where he got the gun since he was 20 and I believe he used a handgun. So that probably answers your question if his dad had a gun. Why most of the shootings are from kids with a good family background? Except the litle shit from Florida.

Blackwidow

And as your kid I probably would exactly know how to get to it when I really would want to. There is no safe space in the house from kids - parents have tried to hide their secrets from them since ages.

The stepcousin of my son's father shot his blind wife as he was drawing his gun on his father in law when they had a dispute about 30 years ago. It was an accident as she was running into the scene. In a no-gun-environment they would have shouted at each other - probably would have wished each other the worst and probably told that they would beat the other up - but nothing would have happened.

A lot of that gun suicides would not happen, too. Some probably are done in bad moments that would have gone by the time you would have found a way to do it with other means...

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
And as your kid I probably would exactly know how to get to it when I really would want to. There is no safe space in the house from kids - parents have tried to hide their secrets from them since ages.
My guns are in a safe and all the clips and bolts and in another safe with the key for the first safe. The second safe is a combination lock so its near impossible for a kid to get hold of my guns. Then the ammo is a a secure cabinet as well.

A lot of that gun suicides would not happen, too. Some probably are done in bad moments that would have gone by the time you would have found a way to do it with other means...
I did a lot of research before bringing guns into my home. When it takes a series of steps to get and load a gun the chances of domestic disputes leading to a shooting are minimal. It also reduces suicides significantly.

Having said all that I bet 95% of gun owners are quite as responsible as me.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I don't think maru was talking about gun magazines...

Status
Not open for further replies.