The Athletic ~ Inside United's 6-1 fallout: Half-time rows, Solskjaer backed, transfer regrets

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
While not as drastic as this, that's basically what happened last season. Point totals 18/19 and 19/20:

• Liverpool improved from 97 to 99. Consistent, but they were probably better than what their total implies in 19/20 because of the way they ended their season.
  • City dropped from 97 to 81.
  • We stayed at 66.
  • Chelsea dropped from 72 to 66.
  • Tottenham dropped from 71 to 59.
  • Arsenal dropped from 70 to 56.
  • Leicester improved from 52 to 62.
  • Wolves improved from 57 to 59.
This is top 8 both seasons, though not the same order of course. Chelsea were bad, Arsenal and Tottenham catastrophic, and that gifted us the opportunity of grabbing top 4 in a bad season.
Yeah, good point. And it also shows that you're immediately in danger of losing our big time if teams around you improve and you don't. Man Utd might be lucky that other top 4 contenders don't seem solid either, but that also means others might jump ahead (looking at you, Everton). Although of course all still remains to be seen for this season, including for Man Utd.

Snuffkin

VVD had a worse weekend. Yet we attack our captain. He is our most consistent player. Not world class I grant you but darn dependable.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
definitely. You need to be way better to beat the fodder now than 10 years ago. Even with city and our levels of investment and it’s far from easy. City have a better squad than us and they look no closer this season. They’ve bought better than us over the years and they are still finding it tough. That in turn just shows how freakishly good Liverpool have been and on a fraction of the investment. It’s a crazy league these days. Even the smallest teams have dangerous players that can punish anyone.
This constantly gets overlooked on here. The "relegation fodder" these days are much, much better than they were 10-20 years ago because there is so much money in the PL now so they can afford both better staff and better players than they could back then. Of course the big clubs have also gotten richer, but the gap is not as big as it used to be.

Also, while Liverpool have been good, they vastly over preformed in the league last year according to xG, xGA and xPts

Karlos PFC

VVD had a worse weekend. Yet we attack our captain. He is our most consistent player. Not world class I grant you but darn dependable.
Most consistent player? Is this a joke? He's not been criticised up until this point and after the restart in June he is a shadow of himself.

If we wanted a slow defender who can't turn, can't run, can't head the ball in the attacking set pieces, and just be there to hustle the opponents there were a lot of cheaper options than him.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I didn't understand your point,
Sorry English is not my first language.
To say we had a good season is wrong, it was just fortunate for us that other teams were bad as well. Manchester United should be buying players and appointing managers and coaches to get us challenging for the title not scraping into the top 4.

Mainoldo

This constantly gets overlooked on here. The "relegation fodder" these days are much, much better than they were 10-20 years ago because there is so much money in the PL now so they can afford both better staff and better players than they could back then. Of course the big clubs have also gotten richer, but the gap is not as big as it used to be.

Also, while Liverpool have been good, they vastly over preformed in the league last year according to xG, xGA and xPts
So we was looking at the league all wrong last year. Emery and Poch didn’t have a bad season... the league just improved? Rodgers didn’t bottle it, they just had a tough set of fixtures?

DavelinaJolie

I thought it was quite a good piece. Obviously the sources will have their own motivations to share what they do, but I thought it was a well constructed piece that says a lot about Utd's reputation these days

Spark

VVD has earned the right to be cherished by the scousers. He’s obviously a very good defender, although has looked off the pace this season.

Maguire has been shite for ages in a team that has won nothing at all. United are not winners, whilst earning champion wages. They deserve all the rage they after that 6-1, yet alone the other league performances.

Denis' cuff

This is a poor argument. If we won the league with 66 points, would you return the trophy and demand the manager get sacked? Should all the other managers below Ole hang themselves in shame for finishing below Man United?

This feels like Mourinho all over again. Got 2nd and best points tally post SAF and people whine incessantly about how City had so much more.
Yep

Denis' cuff

Sponsorship money will surely go down. If the new TV deals are not considerably increasing in value and the fans unite, then some indicators will say that the club has peaked in value. Might very well sell the club then.
All this is assuming we continue with running the football side of the club like a financial institution.
we’ll be advertising cheap loans next.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
So we was looking at the league all wrong last year. Emery and Poch didn’t have a bad season... the league just improved? Rodgers didn’t bottle it, they just had a tough set of fixtures?
Generally speaking? Yes. If you look at for example Villa who just barely escaped relegation last year they have a pretty strong squad, filled with players from all world corners and some internationals sprinkled here and there. Its very different from say the 90's and early 2000's when clubs who were hovering around relegation had 95% British players and maybe a couple from the continent.

Villa for example got around 100 million£ in revenue from TV deals, where as Barcelona who was the highest earner in La Liga only got 150 million£. Levante who ended up in a similar position to Villa got only 44 million. So yes, the relative strength of the smaller teams in the PL have increased in the later years, both in relation to the top teams and certainly in relation to the lower table clubs in Spain, Italy and Germany

Rodgers did bottle it though. How many points did we gain on them post-lockdown? 12 or something? Emery i dont really know while Poch was a case of him losing the dressing room so he was doomed anyways

pacifictheme

Generally speaking? Yes. If you look at for example Villa who just barely escaped relegation last year they have a pretty strong squad, filled with players from all world corners and some internationals sprinkled here and there. Its very different from say the 90's and early 2000's when clubs who were hovering around relegation had 95% British players and maybe a couple from the continent.

Villa for example got around 100 million£ in revenue from TV deals, where as Barcelona who was the highest earner in La Liga only got 150 million£. Levante who ended up in a similar position to Villa got only 44 million. So yes, the relative strength of the smaller teams in the PL have increased in the later years, both in relation to the top teams and certainly in relation to the lower table clubs in Spain, Italy and Germany

Rodgers did bottle it though. How many points did we gain on them post-lockdown? 12 or something? Emery i dont really know while Poch was a case of him losing the dressing room so he was doomed anyways
Rodgers had injuries to most of his defence and his creative midfielder for some / much of post lockdown. His squad fell apart more than anything.

But I agree with your points about the league getting stronger.

Viral United

To say we had a good season is wrong, it was just fortunate for us that other teams were bad as well. Manchester United should be buying players and appointing managers and coaches to get us challenging for the title not scraping into the top 4.
I also wanted same but years of miss management and here we are targeting top 4.

tombombadil

"collapsed".
Then got CL.
Finishing ahead of the supposedly superior team that Mourinho is now managing...
There's some serious revisionism going on around Mou. Like - we sold all those players that Mourinho seemed to love, then played better football and finished higher in the league, all while relying on a few teenage players that probably wouldn't have got a game under him in Greenwood, Williams etc.
We missed out CL the previous season......... Think you got the wrong season.

And that supposedly inferior team just thumped us 6-1. Mourinho had his faults. For sure. But his analysis of our problems were correct.

Devil81

Honestly this bullshit about Maguire still being messed up from the summer....

He's a fecking man, we've all had scraps in the streets and the odd scurmish on holiday.

Harry will not give a flying feck about that now as he draws his near 200k a week salary. He wasn't even in Greece for the trial.

Pathetic if that's being rolled out as an excuse, what they suggesting he's got PTSD.

tombombadil

Yes, that is one of the biggest factors in this league right now. EPL shares the TV money in a "collective negotiation" with tiered winnings for each position and a base cash. La Liga leaves each club to fend for themselves. Because of this, even the lower clubs in EPL earn quite a lot. Which, in my mind, makes the EPL very competitive from top to bottom. A lot more than in the past.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Nice to see there's some truth in Bruno having a go at our ogre of a captain.
Mirror reporting:
  • Bruno Fernandes had a furious half-time bust-up with Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer during the 6-1 hammering by Spurs.
Given he didn't start second half, it was pretty clear something happened in the changing room - and it needed to. I thought at first Bruno had ago at defenders, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if this was true. We have to face facts: Ole isn't up to the United job and a few decent results, dotted around awful ones, will never change that

JohnnyKills

Honestly this bullshit about Maguire still being messed up from the summer....

He's a fecking man, we've all had scraps in the streets and the odd scurmish on holiday.

Harry will not give a flying feck about that now as he draws his near 200k a week salary. He wasn't even in Greece for the trial.

Pathetic if that's being rolled out as an excuse, what they suggesting he's got PTSD.
Have we?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
... but he can find the emerging talent early and develop them, with the help of our scouting system... or he can lay the railroad for the next manager to run the train over so to speak.
I agree with your plan, here - clubs should try and make players better. But when was the last time (post-SAF) that we bought a player, improved him and he played in the 1st team?
I honestly can't think of any.
In fact, from memory, I will say that every player we have bought, their first season was the best. It was downhill from there.

Let me break it down by looking at the players, who played against Spurs, who were bought in, after SAF left.
Maguire - now playing worse than his first season
Wan Biassaka - now playing worse than his first season
Baily - now playing worse than his first season
Shaw - not an easy one because in his first season he got very fat and LVG refused to play him due to poor fitness. Next season, he got injured after a few games. Since then, he has been decent....but has played really badly this season
Pogba - now playing worse than his first season
Bruno - still relatively new, but is now playing worse than last season
Matic - playing as good as in his first season...this is the standout.
Martial - difficult to tell. he joined us as an 18 yr old and he was good. And he is still "good". Though this season, he hasn't been good. Towards the end of last season, he tailed off.
Fred - this player has never played particularly well for us. Even in his first season. Very inconsistent.

So, from the above, Matic I think is playing just as well as he did in his first season. Martial and Shaw, are (overall) marginally better.
All our other purchases have got worse.

Given the above, would you bank on us buying a player and taking him up a few levels? I wouldn't.
At best, we can maintain a player's ability, but most likely, he will decline.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Mirror reporting:
  • Bruno Fernandes had a furious half-time bust-up with Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer during the 6-1 hammering by Spurs.
Bruno probably got frustrated by Ole's relaxed demeanour after we got spanked 4-1 in the first half.
Probably said something along the lines, "why aren't you doing something".
Whatever the case: we got spanked and that's the important fact to remember. Bruno and Matic will be back against Newcastle.

Le Red

For the mods: it should be forbidden to start a whole thread based on an article behind a paywall without any kind of summarising.

Le Red

Not from above article but quite interesting.

Haven't we seen this before? Players shoved down the manager's throat?

PS. Is Ed gonna come out this time and say "when they see Cavani on the team sheet it will send shivers down their spines?"

Le Red

Nice to see there's some truth in Bruno having a go at our ogre of a captain.
Bruno Fernandes is the true captain of this club.
It's clear they want it to be a British captain, otherwise there's no explanation for Maguire to have the armband.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
It's clear they want it to be a British captain, otherwise there's no explanation for Maguire to have the armband.
If Ole dumps Maguire for Bruno (especially after what seemingly happened in the dressing room) he'd look indecisive and unsure of himself. You could even say that subbing Maguire instead of Bruno would have given a similar impression. The problem is many already have the impression of him which is arguably entirely justified.

Greck

Maguire being made the captain immediately really was odd when you consider the manager must have barely even known him or his person at that point. Too early to know if he's a leading personality in tough times.

clarkydaz

Wasnt DeGea stripped of the captaincy for his offhand comment "Whats wrong with united at the moment? "Everything" comment?

We have no viable leaders left at this rate, might aswell give it Greenwood :D

roseguy64

Ha, that bottom tweet. How about Ole having doubts about some of the players' capacities to be top top players? I hate it when players start moaning about the manager. You are living the absolute dream, the manager doesn't play, if you're on the pitch and something is going wrong, put it right. It's like how Bruno arrives and he just lifts everyone because he is actually making things happen. He's not waiting to be told to do something, he's just doing it. Players, take some responsibility, you have absolutely everything you need.
It may have already been addressed but it wasn't the players who had those concerns. They're mentioning other people who work at United, not the players.

roseguy64

I totally agree, McKenna & Carrick have to go if Ole plans on staying. I've rarely come across a top football team that constantly fails at the basics.
You have no idea what each of them does to say that they need to go. Might just need one additional coach hired though to sort things out.

redsunited

I am going to state the obvious.
From manager to players, we had not bought our first/second choice. We had been getting the leftovers(also not the right leftovers) and paying over the odds for that as well. That is the reason for mediocrity and it wont change till we get that right.
First find proper replacement for David Gill(CEO) and then for SAF(Manager) then the players will happen.
Liverpool and City changed the top management first. Then the right manager followed, then the players. Chelsea too changed Emanelo to the russian woman and now getting most decisions right.

Last edited:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I agree with your plan, here - clubs should try and make players better. But when was the last time (post-SAF) that we bought a player, improved him and he played in the 1st team?
I honestly can't think of any.
In fact, from memory, I will say that every player we have bought, their first season was the best. It was downhill from there.

Let me break it down by looking at the players, who played against Spurs, who were bought in, after SAF left.
Maguire - now playing worse than his first season
Wan Biassaka - now playing worse than his first season
Baily - now playing worse than his first season
Shaw - not an easy one because in his first season he got very fat and LVG refused to play him due to poor fitness. Next season, he got injured after a few games. Since then, he has been decent....but has played really badly this season
Pogba - now playing worse than his first season
Bruno - still relatively new, but is now playing worse than last season
Matic - playing as good as in his first season...this is the standout.
Martial - difficult to tell. he joined us as an 18 yr old and he was good. And he is still "good". Though this season, he hasn't been good. Towards the end of last season, he tailed off.
Fred - this player has never played particularly well for us. Even in his first season. Very inconsistent.

So, from the above, Matic I think is playing just as well as he did in his first season. Martial and Shaw, are (overall) marginally better.
All our other purchases have got worse.

Given the above, would you bank on us buying a player and taking him up a few levels? I wouldn't.
At best, we can maintain a player's ability, but most likely, he will decline.
Fred and Lindelof were both terrible in their first season and then improved significantly after that. Not necessarily great, but definitely much better than what they were in their first. On the flip side I'd say Matic has gotten worse although he's always been very inconsistent in his time here. In his first season we at least got 6 months of good form before he dropped off, which is more than he's given us every other season so far.

Overall you are largely right though. Almost all players seem to decline after joining us.

GiddyUp

You have no idea what each of them does to say that they need to go. Might just need one additional coach hired though to sort things out.
Of course I don't, am I on the coaching staff?
Are you?
Doesn't mean supporters can't speculate.

Le Red

Maguire being made the captain immediately really was odd when you consider the manager must have barely even known him or his person at that point. Too early to know if he's a leading personality in tough times.
I think that due to his nationality, body frame, position, transfer fee and World Cup experience, Ole and the board just assumed he'd be a commanding player with natural leadership.
In reality, he just keeps to himself all the time, never opens his mouth, and recent events suggest he might be kind of an airhead.
Bruno, on the other hand, has everything you dream in a club captain.
Just another baffling decision in this everlasting shitshow.