The bad (typically gun related) things happening in America thread

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
For me but not for thee is the anthem of grievance politics.
You'd think but that's not it, they literally don't know that the ACA and Obamacare are the same thing - and these people are allowed to vote!

Last edited:

Mike Smalling

Apparently his oxygen supply would instantaneously become nitrogen which causes immediate unconsciousness, then death.

Could easily see Alabama royally fecking this up as they have done other execution methods in their recent past.
Per CNN:
Smith appeared conscious for “several minutes into the execution,” and for two minutes after that, he “shook and writhed on a gurney,” according to the media witness report. That was followed by several minutes of deep breathing before his breath began slowing “until it was no longer perceptible for media witnesses.”
Leaving aside the general discussion about the death penalty, it's incredible to me that it remains this difficult to humanely put an end to the life of a human being. A firing squad sounds preferable to what they've done here.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Per CNN:

Leaving aside the general discussion about the death penalty, it's incredible to me that it remains this difficult to humanely put an end to the life of a human being. A firing squad sounds preferable to what they've done here.
I seem to remember a program with Michael Portillo where he investigated American attitudes to the death penalty alongside humane methods of applying it. It's a while ago now but in the end I think he discovered that for a lot of folk punishment was more important than painlessness.

I think many people want the person to suffer as they die and feel that that is the moral outcome.

Oddly enough I think it was a variation Portillo's "painless" method of execution that was put into practice by Alabama yesterday.

Mike Smalling

I seem to remember a program with Michael Portillo where he investigated American attitudes to the death penalty alongside humane methods of applying it. It's a while ago now but in the end I think he discovered that for a lot of folk punishment was more important than painlessness.

I think many people want the person to suffer as they die and feel that that is the moral outcome.

Oddly enough I think it was a variation Portillo's "painless" method of execution that was put into practice by Alabama yesterday.
They should just go ahead and implement this already.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports

I doubt that's just an American view TBH

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Apparently his oxygen supply would instantaneously become nitrogen which causes immediate unconsciousness, then death.

Could easily see Alabama royally fecking this up as they have done other execution methods in their recent past.
You weren't wrong. It took 22 minutes and he agonized for a long time before finally passing.

I'm firmly against capital punishment because there's always a possibility that someone has been wrongly accused and sometimes the proof of innocence is found years if not decades later.

But if it has to be done, I've yet to see a more "humane" method of execution than a firing squad followed by a shot in the head.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City

It becomes then vengeance, not justice.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
You weren't wrong. It took 22 minutes and he agonized for a long time before finally passing.

I'm firmly against capital punishment because there's always a possibility that someone has been wrongly accused and sometimes the proof of innocence is found years if not decades later.

But if it has to be done, I've yet to see a more "humane" method of execution than a firing squad followed by a shot in the head.
This is true but most of them spend decades on death row anyway, this guy's crime was in 1988!

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Well, their "god" was all about vengeance in the Old Testament.
You don't have to be religious to be vengeful, it's something profoundly human. Every single one of us felt it at some point in their life, to various degrees and has different ways to deal with it.

That's why laws are in place and the monopoly on violence goes to the state.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
It's just retribution, and making a criminal suffer makes the state no better morally than the criminal.
Exactly.

This is true but most of them spend decades on death row anyway, this guy's crime was in 1988!
The fact that the possibility exists, makes to my eyes capital punishment not only morally but also legally inapplicable. Humans and their judgment are faillible, therefore I believe that the power to give such a definitive sentence as ending someone's life shouldn't be bestowed to any of us.

Because if you are wrong, there's no way for you to make it right.

MarylandMUFan

I honestly don't have a lot of sympathy for the state sanctioned murder of a guy who stabbed an innocent woman 10 times in the chest and neck so he could make some cash.
That being said, because our justice system is so flawed and uneven, there is no way we should be using the death penalty. The idea of innocent people being put to death is so frightening and horrific that I can't wrap my head around it. The fact that it has happened more times that we can possibly imagine is even more frightening. The death penalty has got to go.

RedDevilQuebecois

I honestly don't have a lot of sympathy for the state sanctioned murder of a guy who stabbed an innocent woman 10 times in the chest and neck so he could make some cash.
That being said, because our justice system is so flawed and uneven, there is no way we should be using the death penalty. The idea of innocent people being put to death is so frightening and horrific that I can't wrap my head around it. The fact that it has happened more times that we can possibly imagine is even more frightening. The death penalty has got to go.
I will only say that, while acknowledging my bias towards Japan, their nine-criteria sentencing guideline in assessing eligibility to capital punishment still remains excellent at identifying those who are lost causes. If you fail many criteria, you're finished. And yet for the record, Japan did not execute anyone for all of 2023 even though those who are still in the death row over there are some of the worst and most remorseless trash that any society can find. That being said, I hate the idea of wasting so much money in high-tech means to perform executions.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
"There was a sticker on the buttstock of the rifle that stated 'Palestine,'" Hassig said. He also said investigators believe the shooter acted alone, wasn't part of a larger group, and has used multiple aliases.

Hassig said the shooter also had a .22-caliber rifle in a bag that wasn't used in the shooting.

Police recovered antisemitic writings in their investigation and believe there was a dispute between the shooter's ex-husband and the ex-husband's family, some of whom are Jewish, Hassig said.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Shit's spreading. Apparently no word from AT&T or other affected providers yet...

Cyberattack or software update gone horribly wrong are kinda the only things that makes sense, right? Too widespread for an infrastructure problem.

Sara125

Anyone been following this?

There was an altercation on a train in NY leading to one guy shooting the other.

That video pretty much shows everything from the start of the altercation to after the shooting (it doesn’t actually show the shooting because everyone, including the person recording, made a beeline for the next carriage pretty much as soon as the shooter grabbed the gun). I think they said the gun belonged to the person who got shot but the other guy grabbed it. One of them also stabbed the other. Anyway, the shooter is still in custody I believe?

RedDevilQuebecois

There was an altercation on a train in NY leading to one guy shooting the other.

That video pretty much shows everything from the start of the altercation to after the shooting (it doesn’t actually show the shooting because everyone, including the person recording, made a beeline for the next carriage pretty much as soon as the shooter grabbed the gun). I think they said the gun belonged to the person who got shot but the other guy grabbed it. One of them also stabbed the other. Anyway, the shooter is still in custody I believe?
In the fallout of the announcement that National Guardsmen would patrol the NYC subway, I say there will have to be a lot more to be done in curbing violence in there.

I say they better put metal detectors in all metro stations before they even bring soldiers in. How the hell have things gone this bad?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

It is such a common occurrence that I doubt anyone over here knew it happened, cares that it did happen, and will stop thinking about it 30 seconds after finding out it happened.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
In the fallout of the announcement that National Guardsmen would patrol the NYC subway, I say there will have to be a lot more to be done in curbing violence in there.

I say they better put metal detectors in all metro stations before they even bring soldiers in. How the hell have things gone this bad?
Shootings in NYC were dropping YoY pre-pandemic, then spiked, and are now dropping again. 2023 has not been updated in the data source, but I saw on NYPD's website it as under 1,000. Too many?? Hell yah, but the idea that NYC is degrading into Escape From New York is just not suportted by the data.

2055​
1887​
1959​
1828​
1912​
1939​
1717​
1339​
1464​
1434​
1208​
970​