Film The Batman

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
7/10

first half is the best I’ve seen in a while in any movie period. Second half was good until the Riddler interrogation.

And then it fell apart. Last 20 mins were dumb as feck and a complete joke. Random dudes shooting. Batman shot but not. Batman cuts cord to die but not. People drown but not. Mayor shot but not. A painfully elongated last drive off scene. Why the feck do they need joker in there?everything in that last 20 was annoying

side note. Penguin. Riddler. Batman. Falcone. Outstanding fecking performances. Farrell was god like
You've taken the words out of my mouth, watched last night and on the whole, really enjoyed it.

The first half was stunning. Setting the scene, showing the world, the opening, the way it was shot, felt so bleak and dark (which I adore), felt like the Se7en universe was borrowed in the best possible way (which I also adore).

The early scene on the bike. The way that was filmed, the blurred background and pin sharp foreground of the rider, with the music, reminded my why I love cinema (barely been for the last 36 months). The narration and all the character development just worked.

I actually wanted to hate on Pattison but he's really, really good. Felt a lot more realistic as to how a billionaire heir who lost his family and is an obsessed, violent sociopath, inhabiting a bleak city would actually be. Not some suave playboy with an edge, but more a total reclusive goth who can barely function, tired, broken, angry, rage filled.

Did feel a bit long, especially the last twenty and didn't quite make sense, felt a little rushed and a little lost in what they were trying to achieve but overall, shits all over the other Batman films post Nolan.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Batman is a fecking detective first, and the comics have become progressively darker over the last 3 decades so I'm happy the penny dropped for someone in the filmmaking business.

This is not about a superhero it's about a borderline psychopath.
This.....

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
Saw this last night, really really good film.
It’s a slow one and not your typical superhero film.

Paul Dano as The Riddler is brilliant, Catwoman just felt shoehorned in and I think the film would’ve worked without her, not that Zoe Kravitz did a bad job. I had my doubts about Pattinson but I don’t think there is better actor to play a sulky brooding billionaire, he’s been some variation of brooding all his career.

I would definitely recommend going to see it.

dinostar77

Would be interesting down the line to find out if Warner Bros insisted on the last 20mins, as it does feel like it was tacked onto the movie. To ensure there is no doubt that batman is a good guy.

Please dont click this spoiler if you havent seen the movie and dont want to know about the scene that was cut from the movie
apparently the director said he cut a scene that he wants to put back in the bluray release. When riddler is targetting batman, bats goes to arkham asylum to speak with The Joker to try to gain some insight in why. He caught joker at an earlier point in his career as batman. We know joker had a influence in gotham as at start of the film we see a gang with joker/clown makeup on the subway. Apparently its a really good scene

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Batman is a fecking detective first, and the comics have become progressively darker over the last 3 decades so I'm happy the penny dropped for someone in the filmmaking business.

This is not about a superhero it's about a borderline psychopath.
Moreover he's a man with a lot of money not someone with supernatural abilities nor part machine

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
The day after seeing it, with the glow dying down makes this film seem even more insignificant. I think a few months from now when people get a chance to let it simmer they’ll see it for the 7/10 OKAY-ish film it really is

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The day after seeing it, with the glow dying down makes this film seem even more insignificant. I think a few months from now when people get a chance to let it simmer they’ll see it for the 7/10 OKAY-ish film it really is
So people who loved it will change their mind like you did and give it a 7. Interesting.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
So people who loved it will change their mind like you did and give it a 7. Interesting.
There’s a lot of initial hype and excitement when seeing a new film.
When I saw the TDKR I thought it was fantastic! It wasn’t until a few months later when I saw it again that I realized how insanely nonsensical everything was. It had its moments but easily one of Nolan’s weakest films.

The new Batman film has a ton of flaws. Of course to each their own, but the flaws will be a lot more apparent as time goes on and the hype fades a little bit

dinostar77

Such a wierd post. Not you mate but the poster saying people will change their minds about the movie a few days later. Certainly not. I loved it bar the last 20 mins.

Ever since i watched Joker, i wanted a batman story set in that gotham, and this was as close as i will get. Batman movies should be dark, gotham should make you want to take a shower to get the lingering horridness off you. Thats the gotham we got in The Batman. Epic.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Watched it yesterday. Was thinking a decent way through that it was going by quite quickly and didn't feel like a 3 hour movie, until it hit the last half an hour, then it was like when is this actually going to end. You could cut off a good 30 minutes, still have a lengthy film and it would work better, especially as I didn't think the latter part of the film added much.

Starts off great and for like the first half of the film Batman felt like a detective trying to solve a case along with Gordon. Changes it a bit from other super hero movies but second half lost its way/descended into more conventional tropes. Dunno how I feel about that chase scene. Great performances across the board, only complaint is under untilising someone like Andy Serkis. Definietely worth a watch, probably the most interesting superhero movie in a very long while, still not as good as Nolan's batman.

Last edited:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Watched it yesterday. Was thinking a decent way through that it was going by quite quickly and didn't feel like a 3 hour movie, until it his the last half and hour, then it was like when is this actually going to end. You could cut off a good 30 minutes, still have a lengthy film and it would work better, especially as I didn't think the latter part of the film added much.

Starts off great and for like the first half of the film Batman felt like a detective trying to solve a case along with Gordon. Changes it a bit from other super hero movies but second half lost its way/descended into more conventional tropes. Dunno how I feel about that chase scene. Great performances across the board, only complaint is under untilising someone like Andy Serkis. Definietely worth a watch, probably the most interesting superhero movie in a very long while, still not as good as Nolan's batman.
well said, great performances hampered by a weak script where the film goes off the rails in the final third

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Such a wierd post. Not you mate but the poster saying people will change their minds about the movie a few days later. Certainly not. I loved it bar the last 20 mins.

Ever since i watched Joker, i wanted a batman story set in that gotham, and this was as close as i will get. Batman movies should be dark, gotham should make you want to take a shower to get the lingering horridness off you. Thats the gotham we got in The Batman. Epic.
Not a weird post at all. And who cares if Gotham is “dark” if you don’t have a story with substance to back it up. This film was far from epic. And there have been plenty of times where people get caught up in hype initially only to feel differently about it a while later. And I said months later, not days.

the film had a middling plot, a brutal final third, and for a detective story you’d think it would actually have clever riddles be an intriguing mystery?

The film had the right ideas but the execution was really lacking. The actors deserved a better script than what they actually got. Which is a shame. They were great.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I'm surprised that people find Patterson's performance surprising.
For a lot of people he's still the sparkly vampire because they've ignored his other work (because he's still the sparkly vampire).

It's a shame because Matthew McCauliflower was the dude-bro from every single romcom right up until the moment he wasn't.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Moreover he's a man with a lot of money not someone with supernatural abilities nor part machine
yet one who can withstand multiple shotgun blasts at point blank range and only get knocked down and get right back up. Or an explosion to the face with very few injuries. For all the “realistic batman” he was pretty much invincible in the final third.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
For a lot of people he's still the sparkly vampire because they've ignored his other work (because he's still the sparkly vampire).

It's a shame because Matthew McCauliflower was the dude-bro from every single romcom right up until the moment he wasn't.
I don’t know if that’s the case anymore. Twilight was nearly a decade ago. He also got a ton of hype in the Lighthouse but that film obviously isn’t as popular with mainstream audiences

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
There’s a lot of initial hype and excitement when seeing a new film.
When I saw the TDKR I thought it was fantastic! It wasn’t until a few months later when I saw it again that I realized how insanely nonsensical everything was. It had its moments but easily one of Nolan’s weakest films.

The new Batman film has a ton of flaws. Of course to each their own, but the flaws will be a lot more apparent as time goes on and the hype fades a little bit
And what is your views on Spiderman NWH? The Batman was a better movie than NWH and that has great ratings.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I don’t know if that’s the case anymore. Twilight was nearly a decade ago. He also got a ton of hype in the Lighthouse but that film obviously isn’t as popular with mainstream audiences
I'm just going from what I've heard people around me say. They've openly avoided anything he's done until Tenet came out, when they were suddenly surprised that he wasn't just some grumpy pouting sod.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
yet one who can withstand multiple shotgun blasts at point blank range and only get knocked down and get right back up. Or an explosion to the face with very few injuries. For all the “realistic batman” he was pretty much invincible in the final third.
Are these spoilers?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
And what is your views on Spiderman NWH? The Batman was a better movie than NWH and that has great ratings.
I liked NWH more, but Batman is a far more interesting character with much better villains. NWH was a fun popcorn movie, but Batman I would definitely hold to a higher standard.

For what it’s worth all the ideas going into this film about making it more detective focused, having a less refined Batman are all great in theory. But the execution was where this film fell flat. Which is a shame, because the first hour was really good but then it just felt like the characters were going in an endless loop until the final third where things really get bad.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He never got straight back up from the shotgun at close range though, he was on the floor for ages and only got back up due to using an adreneline injection.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I'm just going from what I've heard people around me say. They've openly avoided anything he's done until Tenet came out, when they were suddenly surprised that he wasn't just some grumpy pouting sod.
Yeah fair enough

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
He never got straight back up from the shotgun at close range though, he was on the floor for ages and only got back up due to using an adreneline injection.
He took multiple shotgun blasts, and not a single broken rib or anything. I get that he took an adrenaline shot but the last 20 minutes got so hokey.

hell, even when he slams into the bridge was cool initially, until he just shakes it off and goes about his day.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Are these spoilers?
Dont think anyone who hasn’t seen the film would be going into this thread considering the movie is out now

and no, they’re not spoilers, as shotgun blasts aren’t a major plot point

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He took multiple shotgun blasts, and not a single broken rib or anything. I get that he took an adrenaline shot but the last 20 minutes got so hokey.

hell, even when he slams into the bridge was cool initially, until he just shakes it off and goes about his day.
He is a Billionaire and is wearing armour, which will likely by the best armour available as he can afford it. Also, how do you know he didn't have a broken rib or any injuries?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

You better put some respect on Twilight!

Otherwise Patterson is a pretty good actor, he seems to always pick very different characters.

Mystry

Friendship is magic

Weird thing is according to my girlfriend this has been his most twilight like role in a good while. To the point where there's a bunch of possible easter eggs, including those twin thugs playing werewolves in another show.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
He is a Billionaire and is wearing armour, which will likely by the best armour available as he can afford it. Also, how do you know he didn't have a broken rib or any injuries?
How do you know that he did? He’s jumping around latching onto electrical speakers, getting right back up, I mean let’s face it he had zero significant injuries in this film. Even TDKR, did a much better job of showing a physically vulernable batman.

same issue with the bridge slam. He literally just shakes it off. Even a massive explosion at point blank range earlier in the film…and he gets up to go to the next house.

At no point in this film did you feel batman was in way over his head, which someone in his second year of trying to be a super hero you would think that would be the case at some point. Batman begins did a much better job of this.

gorky_utd

This why i now ignore all trailers for movies i want to watch. Didnt see a single trailer for this movie and im glad i didnt.
The car chase was easily the best action sequence yet I wasn't able to enjoy it that much because I knew how it was going to end. Marvel does a far better job at hiding things.
Yup. That was a problem. Also, the new mayor got shot by a sniper but seemed ok at the end :lol: .

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
He wasn’t only shot once from a shotgun blast, he was shot twice at least