The Biden Presidency

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I think a second Biden term is becoming increasingly unlikely. No wonder someone like Newsom is buying ads outside California.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think a second Biden term is becoming increasingly unlikely. No wonder someone like Newsom is buying ads outside California.
They’re going to make the Hilary mistake all over again. Dems are going to give it to Harris because she’s next in line.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
They’re going to make the Hilary mistake all over again. Dems are going to give it to Harris because she’s next in line.
I'd be really surprised if Harris becomes the Democratic candidate. It remains to be seen which alternative gets some national momentum going though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If Biden doesn't run, Harris will have to compete just like the rest of them. There is no Hillary phenomenon where she was each of first lady, SecState and Senator. I think Sanders would give it another shot as well since its only been 4 years since he almost got the nomination.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I wouldn't be surprised to see a celeb becoming the Democratic candidate for 2024.

RedDevilQuebecois

Nah, she's going to get nailed by Newsom and the likes. Remember that she dropped out of the 2020 primary quite early.

Regardless, the Dems need a candidate who would be willing to bully his/her way around and push for McConnell-like tactics in shoving the Democratic agenda down throats just like Republicans did it for years. I'm sure that Chuck Schumer is just begging to have the freedom to play the same playbook, but he needs someone above him with the will to go dirty.

Sweet Square

I think a bad mid term (and that looks pretty likely) the Dems will need to make a quick and clear decision on their 2024 candidate and strategy to stand any chance
Who is there to pick ? Biden only really got the job because the newer generation of democrats like Harris or Buttigieg failed to make the step up.
so probably they will do exactly the opposite and have a protracted progressives vs moderates fight for a year or so
Tbh I think you are giving the progressives too much credit. They might make some noise online but in the end they will fall in line.

neverdie

In a tyrannical move that will have lasting consequences for everyone alive and their progeny, conservative coal baron Sen. Joe Manchin (D-West Virginia) told Democratic leaders on Thursday that he will not support a reconciliation package that contains provisions to mitigate the climate crisis.

This is a major blow to the Democrats — as well as to the planet’s dying species and anyone invested in inhabiting a livable planet — who were hoping to get about $300 billion or more in funding for climate and energy spending aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions with tax incentives for clean energy and electric vehicle expansion. The bill is modeled after last year’s Build Back Better Act, which Manchin also killed after months of stringing Democrats along in negotiations.
This was likely Democrats’ last chance to pass climate action before the midterm elections, in which early analyses predict that Democrats will lose at least one chamber of Congress. Thanks to Republicans working to nearly outright rig elections and the rapidly waning popularity of President Joe Biden, Democrats could also lose the presidency in 2024. Having a Republican in the White House would essentially ensure that the country doesn’t pass major federal climate bills until at least 2029.

Unless individual states introduce major climate bills and Biden uses his executive power to make unilateral moves like declaring a climate emergency and halting all new drilling on federal lands — as climate advocates have called for for years — the U.S. is likely to fall far short of its Paris Agreement pledge to cut emissions by half of 2005 levels by the end of the decade.

As of now, thanks to Manchin, the U.S. is set to meet only about 24 to 35 percent emissions cuts by 2030, researchers found in a report published this week. This would likely also mean that the country won’t meet 100 percent emissions reductions by 2050, which climate experts say is necessary to prevent some of the worst impacts of the climate crisis projected in the decades to come.

Not meeting these goals would be devastating for people worldwide. The U.S. is consistently one of the highest emitters of carbon, along with China, India and Russia. If the U.S. doesn’t act fast to reach net zero carbon emissions or eliminate fossil fuel usage altogether, the country could even end up increasing the amount of carbon dioxide that it emits every year starting in 2030, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. The ramifications of that scenario would be utterly disastrous.

Climate advocates condemned Manchin’s announcement, warning of the consequences if Democrats don’t whip the senator in line or otherwise work around him.
“This is nothing short of a death sentence,” said Varshini Prakash, executive director of the youth-led Sunrise Movement, per Common Dreams. “Our democracy is broken when one man who profits from the fossil fuel industry can defy the 81 million Americans who voted for Democrats to stop the climate crisis. It’s clear appealing to corporate obstructionists doesn’t work, and it will cost us a generation of voters.”

Lawmakers also expressed frustration on Thursday night, and called for lawmakers to double down on forcing climate provisions through Congress, one way or another. “Let me be clear — unless Congress takes bold and necessary action on climate change — a livable future is lost,” said Sen. Ed Markey (D-Massachusetts). “Young people have acted bravely and relentlessly in defense of not just our planet, but their very lives. Another world is possible. We must have the courage to deliver it.”

“Manchin is forcing a deal that would abandon our obligation to act urgently on climate, strengthen social services, and prevent mass suffering,” said Rep. Cori Bush (D-Missouri). “We must organize inside and outside of Congress — together — to ensure Manchin does not get away with this outrageous, failed leadership.”

Climate advocates like the Sunrise Movement and Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-Rhode Island) have laid out a number of actions that Biden can take to tackle the climate crisis.

They say that Biden could tighten limits on pollutants like carbon dioxide and methane, and issue regulations within a wide swath of agencies like the Department of Energy and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) — action by a “thousand cuts,” as Whitehouse put it. Biden could also direct the EPA to designate greenhouse gasses as pollutants regulated under the Clean Air Act, which would enable the government to put a national cap on emissions, the Sunrise Movement says.

what precisely is the point of backing candidates in marginal seats for the democratic nomination if those candidates when elected do nothing of relevance for the party that puts them in power? the BBB legislation which promised 600bn in funds to address the climate issue and general economic situation through a kind of not good enough but better than nothing new deal was watered down into a 300bn~ bill which manchin has torpedoed this week. so manchin and sinema and whoever else will say "if i back this bill, i won't get reelected". right, but the entire point of you getting elected in the first place was to ensure that this kind of legislation could pass. i can't believe that this is the fault of manchin alone. in a bill promising half a trillion in funding, there's no way on earth that the democratic party could not find some kind of carrot to offer manchin so that it appeases his own electoral base. it isn't just climate, it's the entire economic agenda which comes with the much needed new deal to combat stagnation and reinvigorate the industrial process along a renewable, high-tech trajectory for the future. going into the midterms the dems will have accomplished nothing. biden said nothing would fundamentally change but he was wrong because everything has become fundamentally worse.

the great thing about being all bipartisan and collegial is that mcconnell is willing to whip his own party to support biden's BBB agenda in return for all the things biden gives away. what's the proximate utility in being bipartisan when that means one side is willing to take everything you give them and give you nothing in return? you must conclude that biden and the entire dem establishment are either idiotic or corrupt or both.

this is a further example of why electoralism is in the gutter. the dems exist to get elected and fundraise for further elections. the republicans aren't much better but at least from their perspective they push a conservative cultural agenda. the dems' utility is precisely nill.

bosskeano

Joe Biden is a fuking clown, a houseplant and he's completely fecked up the economy and financial wealthfare of this country....

if you don't live in the US , you have no clue but just what you see but you aren't witnessing how fecked up he's made this country from a financial structrure let alone how fuked up he's made policiing in big cities across the US.

He's the worst president we've had in the US over the past 30 years....the fuking guy can't put a sentence together even when it is on a teleprompter

Suedesi

I feel bad for Biden. It's elderly abuse what he's going through. Needs to retire and enjoy his 5-6 years he's got left.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Joe Biden is a fuking clown, a houseplant and he's completely fecked up the economy and financial wealthfare of this country....

if you don't live in the US , you have no clue but just what you see but you aren't witnessing how fecked up he's made this country from a financial structrure let alone how fuked up he's made policiing in big cities across the US.

He's the worst president we've had in the US over the past 30 years....the fuking guy can't put a sentence together even when it is on a teleprompter
You can't blame the economy on him. He inherited Trump's mess. And Trump is head and shoulders the worst President in living memory.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

The economy is quite good by many metrics.

What is ‘wealth fare?’

neverdie

You can't blame the economy on him. He inherited Trump's mess. And Trump is head and shoulders the worst President in living memory.
you can't blame the entire economic situation on him but you can blame him for his failure to enact his promised policy. not only can you blame him for that but you absolutely should blame him for it. and bad as trump was i wonder if clinton, bush, and obama weren't worse. all terrible. trump inherited obama's mess which came from the bush years and was enabled by clinton who escapes all blame despite laying the ground for the corporate ripoff state which characterizes the extreme inequality of the neoliberal era. all of obama bush trump and clinton prioritized corporate giveaways to the tune of tens of trillions over 30 years. none of them ran on a green new deal platform though, which biden did and has not actualized.

neverdie

The economy is quite good by many metrics.
by which metrics? employment at an all time high or near it and purchasing power at an all time low or near it. inequality worse now than during the 30s. i don't see how anyone can call that "good".

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
by which metrics? employment at an all time high or near it and purchasing power at an all time low or near it. inequality worse now than during the 30s. i don't see how anyone can call that "good".
Metrics like employment / unemployment, consumer spending, & key sectors like retail continuing to exceed expectations. Even the service industry is back on its feet despite being vastly understaffed.

There certainly is inequality, but that is nothing brand new, is global, & certainly isn’t all Biden’s fault domestically.

neverdie

Metrics like employment / unemployment, consumer spending, & key sectors like retail continuing to exceed expectations. Even the service industry is back on its feet despite being vastly understaffed.

There certainly is inequality, but that is nothing brand new, is global, & certainly isn’t all Biden’s fault domestically.
those metrics aren't a good measurement of the "economy" when people work more than ever in history and possess more debt and less purchasing power than in living history. it's stock market jargon which tells you the economy is doing well. the economy on that level has nothing to do with people's day to day lives and cost of living. there is an enormous cost of living crisis as everyone knows, and it isn't new but it still doesn't make the economy good.

it's cumulative. biden can be faulted for his inaction on key policies. he's engaged in corporate welfare as sanders, presumably in a coma for the past two years, finally managed to say just this week. the idea that the economy is doing well springs from the same delusional dreamworld trump's supporters inhabited when they'd point to the record stock market. yes, very rich people are doing better than ever. that's not a good thing in a deeply unequal society.

“At a time of massive income and wealth inequality, the American people are sick and tired of the unprecedented level of corporate greed that we are seeing right now,” Sanders said. “In other words, we’re looking at two worlds. People on top never did better. The middle class continuing to decline, and the poor living in abysmal conditions.”

He pointed out that everyday Americans are facing soaring inflation and the worst income inequality in 100 years — while billionaires have gotten $2 trillion richer over the past years and are buying joyrides to space and $500 million yachts. Meanwhile, billionaires and corporations often pay zero dollars in federal taxes.

Instead of focusing on things like renewing the expanded child tax credit, passing Medicare for All, upping teacher pay, or making higher education affordable, the Senate is focused on corporate handouts, Sanders said.

“The last poll that I saw had the United States Congress with a 16 percent approval rating, 16 percent. To me, this was shocking — really, quite shocking — because I suspect that the 16 percent who believe that Congress was doing something meaningful really don’t know what’s going on,” he said.
there is no way to call that "good". sanders breaking ranks has been a rarity since biden took office but at this point i'm assuming he doesn't see the point in not doing it when biden's admin is doing nothing of worth in any of its promised legislative areas with midterms around the corner and the promise of annihilation.

Last edited:

NotThatSoph

I'd love to hear this fleshed out a bit instead of being another drive-by comment.

In what way do you think the economy is fecked, and how can it be attributed to Biden?

I guess the first step would be to show how you're doing worse than other comparable countries, but attack it how you want of course.

Carolina Red

Staff

Wait, which is it? Can he not put a sentence together or is he some diabolical mastermind that can simultaneously torpedo the economy and “policiing”?

Simbo

Honestly, the fact the main issue Biden's opponents have with him is his age and occasional speaking mishaps, makes me think he's one of the best presidents the US has ever had :lol: Its quite telling.

Even then, he talks much more coherently than his predecessor, for what it matters.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Wait, which is it? Can he not put a sentence together or is he some diabolical mastermind that can simultaneously torpedo the economy and “policiing”?
Isn't there also a significant delay in an administration's policies impacting the economy? Like if we're seeing the economy being torpedoed it's because of the previous administration's ineptitude?

Carolina Red

Staff
Isn't there also a significant delay in an administration's policies impacting the economy? Like if we're seeing the economy being torpedoed it's because of the previous administration's ineptitude?
Yes. It’s typically that the first couple years (or more if the economy is booming / busting) are from a previous admin… and obviously, the effects of previous admins can pile onto one another as well.

Also, most of how fast an admin can affect the economy is down to how fast & how much legislation gets passed by Congress.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

If they get completely destroyed in mid terms and lose the next presidential election, they’ve got no one to blame but themselves. Party full of sickos.
There's nothing they could've done to change losing the mid terms given that the other party usually does very well between Presidential elections. With respect to the Presidency, Biden could do little without a bigger Dem majority in the Senate. He has been kneecapped by two US Senators of his own party.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Honestly, the fact the main issue Biden's opponents have with him is his age and occasional speaking mishaps, makes me think he's one of the best presidents the US has ever had :lol: Its quite telling.

Even then, he talks much more coherently than his predecessor, for what it matters.
Beyond old age and gaffs, the Rs I've spoken to seem to complain a lot about inflation and gas prices, which suggests those are the issues that will sink Biden among independents as well. Fortunately, the next Gen isn't for another 2 plus years, but the looming bloodbath at the mid terms will do a lot in laying out the political landscape of the following two years.

SirAF

Ageist

:lol:

Sweet Square

Trying to put blame on the current state of the US and really the world economy on any presidential administration(Republican or Democrats)is useless. We are dealing with far larger and historically trends.

There's nothing they could've done to change losing the mid terms given that the other party usually does very well between Presidential elections. With respect to the Presidency, Biden could do little without a bigger Dem majority in the Senate. He has been kneecapped by two US Senators of his own party.
The two senators thing is just way for the party to save face and to say look it’s these reactionary politicians who are stopping us(While the party continues to support conservatives democrats).

The party benefits from a declining America and it’s not the party interest to even attempt any positive change.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Trying to put blame on the current state of the US and really the world economy on any presidential administration(Republican or Democrats)is useless. We are dealing with far larger and historically trends.

The two senators thing is just way for the party to save face and to say look it’s these reactionary politicians who are stopping us(While the party continues to support conservatives democrats).

The party benefits from a declining America and it’s not the party interest to even attempt any positive change.
The party has largely voted on Biden's agenda with the exception of those two. If they were on board, several major policies he ran on would've passed, which would've given the Dems a lot more leverage in the mid-terms and beyond. The Dems were never going to implement what the progressives wanted because that's not what they ran on.