The Biden Presidency

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I’m frustrated by this jingoistic notion from the liberal left that the solution to every problem is a government hand out. It plays right into the stereotype of democrats as proponents of unlimited welfare. The fact that such a throw away comment comes from an economist, in response to a completely unrelated gesture and a campaign promise Biden is keeping makes it even worse.

You don’t need an opposition if you have friends like these.
I'm just going to pile on and point out that you're part of the problem if you object to the basic idea of government intervention being a key element to improvement here. Inequity in the US is among the highest among OECD countries and standards of living of the bottom income groups are sub-par. In the US, a key issue that bars improvement in this area is this widespread idea that the government should strongly limit its interventions. If only people were more open to the idea of government involvement, there could be much more change. Simply objecting to any language that refers is absolutely astonishing to me.

And no, this is not fringe economic theory.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Wow.

"Government Hand Out"? So I hope you have refused your government health plan, after all that's a handout. You should give up your pension when you retire as that's a disgusting handout too.

When you live in a country with no national health plan, no free education post high school, limited social programs to assist in times of need, crippling costs of childcare, etc. those things you call "government handouts" amount to giving a starving man a packet of saltines and wishing him luck.
I grew up in Missouri, so you don’t need to explain America to me.

Do you honestly not know how the pension system works? I contribute to it out of my salary every month and my employer matches a certain amount as well. That’s got nothing to do with the government either. The saltines are the only accurate statement there.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I'm just going to pile on and point out that you're part of the problem if you object to the basic idea of government intervention being a key element to improvement here. Inequity in the US is among the highest among OECD countries and standards of living of the bottom income groups are sub-par. In the US, a key issue that bars improvement in this area is this widespread idea that the government should strongly limit its interventions. If only people were more open to the idea of government involvement, there could be much more change. Simply objecting to any language that refers is absolutely astonishing to me.

And no, this is not fringe economic theory.
FFS, government intervention is the thing that exacerbated inflation in the first place. If the third stimulus is hanging onto Biden like a 1000kg anchor going into the mid terms, additional financial injection would well be kneecapping himself for the rest of his presidency.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I grew up in Missouri, so don’t explain America to me.

Do you honestly not know how the pension system works? I contribute to it out of my salary every month and my employer matches a certain amount as well. That’s got nothing to do with the government either. The saltines are the only accurate statement there.
All people contribute to the federal government out of their salaries. It doesn’t matter if they make 10 thousand or 10 billion (except the former likely pays more than the latter in taxes), all are equal citizens and should have the benefit of a social safety net.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
FFS, government intervention is the thing that exacerbated inflation in the first place. If the third stimulus is hanging onto Biden like a 1000kg anchor going into the mid terms, additional financial injection would well be kneecapping himself for the rest of his presidency.
Not really. Most of the current inflation is caused by supply chain issues.

Also, a one-time hand-out won't help, cause the inflation won't reverse in a year. There needs to be a sustained solution by raising minimum wages and unemployment benefits at least on par with inflation, and that sort of thing. Which isn't even all government money.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
So is the insinuation here that people who got stimulus checks do not, and have never, paid taxes?
No it was a straight answer to a question.

This topic has nothing to do with taxes. Injecting money to combat rising prices is the dumbest idea anyone has ever had. That’s all there is to it.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Not really. Most of the current inflation is caused by supply chain issues.

Also, a one-time hand-out won't help, cause the inflation won't reverse in a year. There needs to be a sustained solution by raising minimum wages and unemployment benefits at least on par with inflation, and that sort of thing. Which isn't even all government money.
You’re almost there, the inequalities are longer term issues that can be addressed through different policies. If inflation is the problem, adding more demand won’t ease it and it only pushes up prices. A $10 wage hike would be pitted against a $12 price hike in a vicious cycle.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
You’re almost there, the inequalities are longer term issues that can be addressed through different policies. If inflation is the problem, adding more demand won’t ease it and it only pushes up prices. A $10 wage hike would be pitted against a $12 price hike in a vicious cycle.
Except that the wage hike wouldn't go across the board to all workers and would be spent on a limited amount of goods - and not all affect inflation as much as you're saying.

Also, what about inequity being a long-term issue means that you can't address now when the situation is rapidly getting worse due to this inflation?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Except that the wage hike wouldn't go across the board to all workers and would be spent on a limited amount of goods - and not all affect inflation as much as you're saying.

Also, what about inequity being a long-term issue means that you can't address now when the situation is rapidly getting worse due to this inflation?
The unemployment rate is 4% and most jobs are offering well above the federal minimum wage due to worker shortage and there is still a lack of employment in service industry. Other assembly level jobs are scarce as plants had to shutdown owing to lack of parts and materials from China. Even if they start manufacturing more in China, the big ports of Los Angeles, Baltimore are backed up for eternity due to lack of containers to unload ships. Hell even Cleveland’s small port is operating at higher than ever capacity to help ease the burden.

There isn’t a simple solution here, a federal minimum wage hike would be symbolic but nothing more. There’s nothing to do but absorb the short term pain, learn the lessons and reinvent the entire supply chain and transport corridors to something more sustainable and efficient in the future.

It’s not a glamorous solution and certainly not a catchy tweet but that’s reality.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
No it was a straight answer to a question.

This topic has nothing to do with taxes. Injecting money to combat rising prices is the dumbest idea anyone has ever had. That’s all there is to it.
I dont alwaya see eye to eye with you. But on this very sentences i agree.

Dumbest thing ever. And american inflation would only be passed down to the rest of the world since they can print their own money at will.

NotThatSoph

All this talk about inflation and no one even mentioning the money supply, my head hurts.

Long term inflation is a monetary phenomenon, I'm betting an economists knows that better than some random talking about woke twitter.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I honestly can't look at a video of Biden talking without immediately thinking about how old he is. He appears really old.
He is very old. If you look at his debate with Palin in 08, he was much more lively and engaging than in the present. Obviously, juxtaposing him against the clown still makes him look pretty Presidential.

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
He is very old. If you look at his debate with Palin in 08, he was much more lively and engaging than in the present. Obviously, juxtaposing him against the clown still makes him look pretty Presidential.
If the Republicans run a mildly energetic candidate in 2024 it might get ugly.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If the Republicans run a mildly energetic candidate in 2024 it might get ugly.
It could, but then again the only two tangible options they have are Trump and DeSantis, who if he were to somehow escape Trump's grasp, himself has a pretty dismal record on COVID that is easily attacked.

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
In a rational world that's true, but I'm not sure the 2024 US Presidential Election is a rational world. Or the Republican primaries for that matter. I'm not ruling anything out after Trump (!) became President.

I made very funny ha ha lulz posts about that in 2012.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
In a rational world that's true, but I'm not sure the 2024 US Presidential Election is a rational world. Or the Republican primaries for that matter. I'm not ruling anything out after Trump (!) became President.

I made very funny ha ha lulz posts about that in 2012.
Yeah. In 2024, COVID is in the past, and stuff like those crack pipes will do more to hurt Biden than COVID will hurt Trump or DeSantis. Although that's of course the exact opposite of how it should be, but the US seems to have moved very far away from rationalism in politics or, especially, voting.

It will help the Democrats if Biden doesn't run though, and it's not Harris either, so their candidate is free to attack anyone on their record (including Biden).

nimic

something nice
Scout
Like these :nervous:
You'll never find me saying a positive thing about Trump, no matter how far back you look:
nimic in 2012 said:
I think Donald Trump might be the worst person in the world.

Though I may have overreached in my hubris:
nimic in 2011 said:
There's no chance of him actually winning the actual election, though, right? Donald Trump as the Republican candidate for President sounds like a great thing for the Democrats.
nimic in 2012 said:
I hope Bachmann runs. And Palin.

And Trump.

And I hope Limbaugh falls down some stairs.

I almost knew what was coming:
nimic in 2015 said:
This season of Republican Primaries is looking to be a good one. I didn't think it was going to be anywhere near as good as last season, but adding Donald Trump to the cast list is a stroke of genius. I just hope he makes it at least until the primary debates.
senorgregster as a reply said:
He needs to get into the top 10 in the polls.
nimic said:
The Republicans are easily stupid enough for him to manage that.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
America is a funny country and one can't understand it without living in it. As to Biden running for a second term, we'll have to see what happens, two years is a long time.
It is and Biden is already the oldest US President in history and was the oldest at inauguration by about 8 years. His speeches do not fill anyone with confidence and he even campaigned on being a 1-term stopgap just to get rid of Trump. I think it's pretty safe to assume he won't try to run again as I can't imagine even the current Democrat party being that clueless.

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

Foxbatt

I just saw in the Guardian that the US government has frozen the USD reserve of Afghanistan and they are using this money to pay off the victims of 9/11. If this is correct this is day light robbery as the money includes savings of ordinary Afgani people.

Smores

I just saw in the Guardian that the US government has frozen the USD reserve of Afghanistan and they are using this money to pay off the victims of 9/11. If this is correct this is day light robbery as the money includes savings of ordinary Afgani people.
Only half of it, those bombs were expensive don't you know especially the ones dropped on kids. It's even more sickening when the US has a policy not to pay any compensation to the families of casualties.