Television The Caf' Anime Thread

el3mel

Not saying it as a criticism, just some sort of explanation for why the characters seem boring/not likeable yet.

There is really only a few animes that properly introduces characters in a couple of episodes.
Get your point and I hope so. The world and setting are too great to be wasted imo. Let's see.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Get your point and I hope so. The world and setting are too great to be wasted imo. Let's see.
Yeah. Seems promising. I guess I'm a bit turned off (so far) because I expected it to be a bit more 'mystical powers' involved, but that might develop or if not might be replaced by something else to keep me interested.
I think it's hard to do a genius-main character well, but when it's done well then it tends to be very enjoyable. Looking forward to the next 15-20 episodes.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
You should watch the End of Evangelion movie if you haven't already.
I did. I don't even know why people feel sorry for that miserable little perv, Shinji.

Asuka has the real tragic backstory.

But I'm sure these discussions happened at length 20 years ago!

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Yeah. Seems promising. I guess I'm a bit turned off (so far) because I expected it to be a bit more 'mystical powers' involved, but that might develop or if not might be replaced by something else to keep me interested.
I think it's hard to do a genius-main character well, but when it's done well then it tends to be very enjoyable. Looking forward to the next 15-20 episodes.
I haven't watched the anime. I've read 70+ chapters and
you won't be seeing mystical powers. Science is used to compete against the enemy. Not mystical powers but rather inventions
You mentioned its slow so far. The only thing I dislike is the (at times) excessive description of the science involved. You'll know what I'm talking about soon enough.
Anyone watching the currently airing Dr.Stone ? It's at episode 3 now, new episode every Friday.

The setting and world are great but so far I really, really don't like the characters at all, though I didn't read the manga. Hope they improve.
You should come across an interesting personality soon. Someone quite shady and deceptive meaning it would be a mistake as the reader to take everything they say at face value.

el3mel

I haven't watched the anime. I've read 70+ chapters and
you won't be seeing mystical powers. Science is used to compete against the enemy. Not mystical powers but rather inventions
You mentioned its slow so far. The only thing I dislike is the (at times) excessive description of the science involved. You'll know what I'm talking about soon enough.
You should come across an interesting personality soon. Someone quite shady and deceptive meaning it would be a mistake as the reader to take everything they say at face value.
Most manga readers I have came across seem to say the same, that it is going to become more interesting. Hopefully true!

Last edited:

lawliet354

So some of you might have probably heard the news about Kyoto Animation. Here's a reddit thread about official statement from the studio regarding the incident translated to English.

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comm..._the/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Words cannot even describe how I feel about this, Kyoani has always been my favorite anime studio, their works always resonate with me, and the anime they produce is always top quality, hope they can recover from this

Last edited:

Raw

Horrible tragedy. From what I heard it was someone who thought they ripped off one of his ideas, so he retaliates by fecking burning them. Sick bastard.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Rewatched Trigun on netflix 10 years later and still holds up pretty well.

el3mel

So I noticed that Vinland Saga finally got an anime adaptation, anyone seen it? Vagabond next please.
Yep. Saw the 4 episodes already aired. Great so far ! The animations are explosive.

Andersons Dietician

I more dabble with anime and basically stick with well publicised things like Deathnote, Dragonball Akira, Fist of the North Star and so on but I recently watched Sword Art Online and really enjoyed the first season. The other ones were ok but that first season was great.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I more dabble with anime and basically stick with well publicised things like Deathnote, Dragonball Akira, Fist of the North Star and so on but I recently watched Sword Art Online and really enjoyed the first season. The other ones were ok but that first season was great.
Overlord, That time I was reincarnated as a slime & Re: Zero are other isekai somewhat similar to SAO.

el3mel

I'm trying for the second time to watch FMA:B. Last time was one year ago and I dropped it after the first episode. Now at episode 5, still don't get the impressive aspect of it but will try to stick around till the end. Maybe the impressive thing that made it at top spot of MAL and IMDB will appear later.

Drainy

I'm trying for the second time to watch FMA:B. Last time was one year ago and I dropped it after the first episode. Now at episode 5, still don't get the impressive aspect of it but will try to stick around till the end. Maybe the impressive thing that made it at top spot of MAL and IMDB will appear later.
I've had a similar experience with it. I think Hunter x Hunter has ruined most shounen for me.

el3mel

I've had a similar experience with it. I think Hunter x Hunter has ruined most shounen for me.
Haha I feel exactly the same !

HxH is a so defining experiment that raises your standard to sky rocket when watching any Shounen. I feel like how you were evaluating any Shounen differs before and after watching HxH.

It had no BS power grading or main characters pulling power out of their arses with no reason or conditions. The main villains will win in any battle if they're stronger, and thus the fights are concluded in a creative way. The main character doesn't even face the main protagonist in most arcs, and all characters have grey zone rather than black and white.

HxH is a very atypical Shounen that makes watching anything from the same genre after it pretty hard. What you were accepting previously, you'll probably not accept anymore after Hunter.

Though I'll stick around with FMAB this time to see what it brings. My main grip so far is the comedy integration and goofiness is done pretty bad and feels silly and childish which runs its atmosphere for me and can't make me take it seriously.

lawliet354

FMA is one of the best shounen manga I've read, possibly the best that's already finished. No idea about the anime though but I rarely see anime adaptation of a manga. Though, I remember reading the first volume and don't think it's anything special, but I continue reading it and it turns out to be one of the best. While HxH is one of the best shounen anime but I can't bear to read the manga as the art is unbelievably getting worse each year. I think I remember reading one chapter and I really thought it was just a draft that's not actually published, turns out it was an actual published chapter :lol:

This season, Kimetsu no Yaiba have gotten a lot of praise, so if you are interested in shounen you can watch it, I think it's amazing as well. And if you are a fan of comedy please watch Hinamatsuri or Grand Blue, those two are the pinnacle of comedy manga/anime

el3mel

FMA is one of the best shounen manga I've read, possibly the best that's already finished. No idea about the anime though but I rarely see anime adaptation of a manga. Though, I remember reading the first volume and don't think it's anything special, but I continue reading it and it turns out to be one of the best. While HxH is one of the best shounen anime but I can't bear to read the manga as the art is unbelievably getting worse each year. I think I remember reading one chapter and I really thought it was just a draft that's not actually published, turns out it was an actual published chapter :lol:

This season, Kimetsu no Yaiba have gotten a lot of praise, so if you are interested in shounen you can watch it, I think it's amazing as well. And if you are a fan of comedy please watch Hinamatsuri or Grand Blue, those two are the pinnacle of comedy manga/anime
Don't disagree much about HxH manga actually. I am of the opinion is HxH unlike many other series, is far better to be experienced as anime rather than manga, because the art in manga is very inconsistent (I won't say bad in general, there are some good chapter, but there are many other terrible ones in terms of art style) and the walls of text Togashi loves throwing in can be pretty annoying reading. I don't know what he was thinking while doing a page like this :

Anime fixes both things. The art is great and consistent, and it's easier to hear the narrator or characters than to read walls of text, so yeah HxH is better as an anime rather than a manga imo.

This season I have been watching Dr. Stone and Vinland Saga. I will make sure to check the other two too. Thanks for the suggestions.

lawliet354

Don't disagree much about HxH manga actually. I am of the opinion is HxH unlike many other series, is far better to be experienced as anime rather than manga, because the art in manga is very inconsistent (I won't say bad in general, there are some good chapter, but there are many other terrible ones in terms of art style) and the walls of text Togashi loves throwing in can be pretty annoying reading. I don't know what he was thinking while doing a page like this :

Anime fixes both things. The art is great and consistent, and it's easier to hear the narrator or characters than to read walls of text, so yeah HxH is better as an anime rather than a manga imo.

This season I have been watching Dr. Stone and Vinland Saga. I will make sure to check the other two too. Thanks for the suggestions.
Damn I remember that's the famous 'novel text' page that became a meme some time ago :lol:

Dr. Stone is pretty good, I still read it but I really think it lacks a great antagonist that can elevate it to become great, which I'm actually a bit disappointed as I really love the author's previous work.

Art

Art the artist
Anyone watching Kimtesu no Yaiba aka Demon Slayer ? The animation is on another level with a solid setting too. I've watched 5 episodes thus far and is a solid 8/10 show for me.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Anyone watching Kimtesu no Yaiba aka Demon Slayer ? The animation is on another level with a solid setting too. I've watched 5 episodes thus far and is a solid 8/10 show for me.
Wasn't a fan of the manga because the entire beat 'em up premise of Tanjiro decapitating one demon after the other seemed so hackneyed and uninteresting, but the anime is a definite step up — the visuals are really elegant and dynamic, the action sequences beautifully choreographed and the score quite engaging — doubt it'll follow it religiously because the story-line is decidedly basic (a lot like Tokyo Ghoul) but still...a genuine work of art, and top stuff by studio Ufotable! :drool:

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
My top 3 best anime.
1. Attack on titan
2. Death Note
3, Full Metal Alchemist
Completed:
1. Naruto
2. Yu Yu Hakusho
3. Afro Samurai

Ongoing:
1. One Piece
2. Hunter X Hunter / Attack on Titan
3. Hunter X Hunter / Attack on Titan

Manga / Manhwa:
1. Tower of God
2. Lookism
3. Promised Neverland
4. Kubera

Anime to try eventually:
Fate UBW
Full Metal Alchemist
The Time I Got Reunited as Slime

Netflix's new anime, Cannon Busters, is nothing special but I love the opening theme...

Thanks for sharing. Just read a brief review on Myanimelist and apparently those who enjoyed Samurai Chamaploo may take a liking to it. I can't seem to find the dubbed version online. My dubbed site only has it from the very last episode, and other sites don't have any dubbed episodes. I would be more enthusiastic if there was an anime adaptation of Black Sands, The Seven Kingdoms.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
1. Berserk
2. Hunter x Hunter
3. Fullmetal alchemist

Overrated/I didn't like it as much as others seem to:
1. Attack on titan (I think it's a bit shit)
2. Naruto (did enjoy it enough to watch until the end)
3. Kengan Ashura (it isn't near as good as Baki)

Alternatives to the overrated ones:
1. If you like fighting anime, then Shura no Toki is a better alternative to Kengan Ashura
2. If you want a good long-running shonen worthy of the time then watch One Piece.
3. If you want to see humanity despair of it's coming doom then I'd go back to Berserk, although you are better off with the manga.

Last edited:

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
1. Berserk
2. Hunter x Hunter
3. Fullmetal alchemist

Overrated/I didn't like it as much as others seem to:
1. Attack on titan (I think it's a bit shit)
2. Naruto (did enjoy it enough to watch until the end)
3. Kengan Ashura (it isn't near as good as Baki)

Underrated/not talked about much:
1. If you like fighting anime, then Shura no Toki is a better alternative to Kengan Ashura
2. If you want a good long-running shonen worthy of the time then watch One Piece.
3. If you want to see humanity despair of it's coming doom then I'd go back to Berserk, although you are better off with the manga.
I'm no expert on anime, and perhaps I've misunderstood something here, but isn't One Piece highly rated and one of the most talked about animes ... ever?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I'm no expert on anime, and perhaps I've misunderstood something here, but isn't One Piece highly rated and one of the most talked about animes ... ever?
My bad, I wrote underrated but it was meant as alternatives to the ones I called overrated.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
My bad, I wrote underrated but it was meant as alternatives to the ones I called overrated.
Right. I asked for manga recommendations on here in the past, and the most popular response was Beserk. Which would you say is better, the anime or the manga? I'm not one to watch both the anime and manga of the same series. I've only done it once with Naruto and it made me appreciate the anime less

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Right. I asked for manga recommendations on here in the past, and the most popular response was Beserk. Which would you say is better, the anime or the manga? I'm not one to watch both the anime and manga of the same series. I've only done it once with Naruto and it made me appreciate the anime less
I tend to prefer anime because I often can't be arsed with manga. I finished Bleach on manga just to get to the ending, but it wasn't very enjoyable. Berserk on the other end has arcs that the anime skipped and are drawn incredibly well, so I prefer it. Anime skipping the lost children arc is a travesty in my opinion.

Wholeheartedly recommend the Berserk manga. But I would certainly recommend watching the old anime as well. Most hate the cgi anime of the newer series. I agree that the quality is low, but any berserk is better than no berserk in my book.

For what it's worth I watched the old anime, then the new one, then went on to read the manga from the beginning. I would recommend going that way because:

1. You get the start of the journey and understand more of the world by watching the old anime first.

2. If you read the manga before seeing the anime you'll be frustrated with things they cut, as seem to be the case with most manga to anime adaptations.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
A lot of people seem to like hunter x hunter manga as well. I think the pages there often end up as exposition dumps where there is just a ton of text. The drawings aren't that great in my opinion either.

I did enjoy Ranma 1/2 manga when I was younger, but I'm not sure how much of that was decent storytelling and drawing and how much was down to being a teenager.

Would recommend Dragon Ball manga, although I'm sure you've read that already.

el3mel

1- HxH
2- Monster
3- Attack on Titan
4- Death Note
5- Code Geass
6- Hajime no Ippo

I'm watching Fmab currently as I said, about half way into it and yeah tbf it improves a lot from the start and the shite comedy decreased. Enjoying it so far.

DoomSlayer

Completed:
1. Naruto
2. Yu Yu Hakusho
3. Afro Samurai
So is your nickname a mix of Rasengan and Chidori? :D

Naruto is by far my favourite, Afro Samurai was incredible as well though - it's a shame that there are so few episodes about it. Not sure if people know it or appreciate it, but Shaman King was my thing back when I was a kid, though I know the manga and anime differences put off a lot of people from the show.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
So is your nickname a mix of Rasengan and Chidori? :D

Naruto is by far my favourite, Afro Samurai was incredible as well though - it's a shame that there are so few episodes about it. Not sure if people know it or appreciate it, but Shaman King was my thing back when I was a kid, though I know the manga and anime differences put off a lot of people from the show.
Did you play the gbc games for Shaman King? Pokemon-like. Quite fun. Still play it from time to time.